Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This is only tangentially related to this thread, but Monty Oum of Rooster Teeth died.

Really sad to see him go at such a young age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That's sad to hear.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Oh my god, what the gently caress. This is the last thing I expected to hear. Absolutely horrible. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm iffy on Takahata's filmography as well, though that includes Grave of the Fireflies. I'm kinda with Sage on this one, I don't really like seeing a man's apology letter to his dead sister being turned into a "shut the gently caress up and obey your parents" message. Really pretty to look at, but not without problems.

lovely to hear about Monty. I may have hated what he did to the last few Red vs Blue seasons and RWBY is a trainwreck, but I can't say I didn't enjoy some of his early stuff like Haloid. Poor guy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Compendium posted:

I've listened to Katy Perry live before, she can't sing. I love some of Katy's songs, but seriously she cannot deliver.

Here's a song of Ke$ha's I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhUEbovdM1E

I really like this as well and that's a really good sample job.

Sucks about Monty Oum, I was never a fan of his work but it's still very tragic.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm iffy on Takahata's filmography as well, though that includes Grave of the Fireflies. I'm kinda with Sage on this one, I don't really like seeing a man's apology letter to his dead sister being turned into a "shut the gently caress up and obey your parents" message. Really pretty to look at, but not without problems.

I think Grave of the Fireflies is one of the greatest arguments for death of the author. "Yeah, I know what the author thinks the message is but gently caress that guy"

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Jsor posted:

I think Grave of the Fireflies is one of the greatest arguments for death of the author. "Yeah, I know what the author thinks the message is but gently caress that guy"

Uh, I think the author's message in Grave of the Fireflies is very valuable, actually. The interpretation I'm reading above (didn't see Sage's review, but I've heard it from the horse's mouth, so I didn't have to,) is really reductive to the actual issues the movie is addressing. You have to understand, this was a movie produced during Japan's economic bubble, a peak of both financial prosperity and generational divide for Japan, and during that time, there was absolutely a Youth Problem. (There was an Old People of Japan problem too, but you know, life has nuances.) This wasn't "hey you kids didn't grow up during the war, so shut up and eat your vegetables." It was waaaay more serious than that. There was a ton of delinquent manga around this time both idolizing and criticizing the growing "gently caress this dead earth" youth culture. Kids didn't get jobs because they didn't have to, but the freedom didn't make them happy either, because they felt misunderstood and mistrusted, (not entirely without good reason.) Akira was written largely about this gap between lovely youth and lovely old nationalists (who hadn't lived through the war or else were very small during it) with the actual survivors of this massive tragedy still lingering on and making up a rapidly ignored segment of the population in light of Japan's rising prosperity. There were a TON of really lovely rich kids living off their parents' money by day and going out at night to take out their ennui and frustrations on the homeless in the streets. (A number of homeless that would only increase post-bubble, see Tokyo Godfathers, which also addresses the routine delinquent harassment and murder of the homeless.) It was A Major Thing.

Takahata did not make Grave of the Fireflies to tell whippersnappers to listen to their elders. He made it to tell a generation who had not lived through the war that the youth of that time were not so different from them in their misconceptions of what their future would be like, thinking they had Japan's future and their place in it all figured out. Despite all the evidence around him to the contrary, Seita is so sure that Japan is going to win the war, and seems to have no idea that they are the instigators in a horrible conflict, seeing it instead as this immature and ill-defined "for glory and prestige" pursuit against some great unknown oppressor, like a parental figure or something. Hence also his decision to leave behind the (miserable) safety of his aunt's house and live on his own, a fatal decision. The fireflies' lives are temporary, and so are the city lights of economic boom Japan that the film ends on. It's not "listen to your parents," it's "the easy life you were born into will not last much longer, soon you'll have to build a life for yourself, and you just might not know how." It's a sympathetic movie, not a derogatory one. There's not a drop of hate in it for the youth of the 80s just like there's not a drop of hate in the film toward Seita.

What do you know, Takahata was loving right. Bubbles burst. Only two years passed before the short-sightedness he was cautioning against began affecting everyone youth and old alike, and it would continue to affect everyone for years to come.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 2, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Hey, I made a WEE Podcast thread.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jay O posted:

[b]Planes: Fire and Rescue

Part of me kind of wants to see this because I have the first one (It was a gift). If you love baffling bad movies then you need to see Planes. Even though it's a racing movie it has this weird fixation on the military including A Vietnam flashback played completely straight I think it's a great example of the worst that can happen when a movie is seen as a product just to move toys and poo poo and no one thinks about what is actually IN the movie.

Also, That sucks about RT. I haven't followed them since The Strangerhood but my condolences :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holy poo poo someone else remembers The Strangerhood.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holy poo poo someone else remembers The Strangerhood.

I do as well.

I had to look up Monty, but now I'm super bummed. I loved Haloid and Dead Fantasy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wow, that was a really good explanation, Jay O. Completely changes how I thought of Grave of the Fireflies before, I enjoyed reading what you had to say.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 2, 2015

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

WickedHate posted:

Wow, that was a really good explanation, Jay O. Completely changes how I thought of Grave of the Fireflies before, I enjoyed reading what you had to say.

:agreed:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

:agreed:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I would like to give my thanks to 207-563-5532 for probating Cyron. While amusing he did wear thin after a while.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Huh, no one (including me) noticed that SF Debris is looking at System Shock 2 for the next 3 weeks.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
That's really awesome. System Shock 2 is easily one of my favorite games ever and SF Debris always has great analysis.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The thing about Sage's review of Fireflies is how he mainly reads things from a westerner's interpretation of anime. He doesn't so much go into the detail of what was going on in Japan at the time (though he does bring it up, mind you) as he criticizes the film for shortcomings involving character development and changes done in the adaptation. I don't have a problem with a film that wants to educate people, but I agree that it shouldn't have been done based on someone's personal memoirs. But again this is being taken from an outsider's perspective, where the rest of the world sees an anti war film that Takahata has vehemently denied allegations of.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

This is only tangentially related to this thread, but Monty Oum of Rooster Teeth died.

Really sad to see him go at such a young age.

Holy poo poo. I actually just thought about him for the first time in years the other day. Apparently it was a freak allergic reaction? Crazy stuff. :(

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If you follow my show, you may enjoy my guest appearance on the F Plus Podcast. Or maybe you won’t, because we’re reading stuff from an mpreg forum.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Did F-Plus stop doing poo poo like supporting Autism Speaks?

Arcsquad12 posted:

The thing about Sage's review of Fireflies is how he mainly reads things from a westerner's interpretation of anime. He doesn't so much go into the detail of what was going on in Japan at the time (though he does bring it up, mind you) as he criticizes the film for shortcomings involving character development and changes done in the adaptation. I don't have a problem with a film that wants to educate people, but I agree that it shouldn't have been done based on someone's personal memoirs. But again this is being taken from an outsider's perspective, where the rest of the world sees an anti war film that Takahata has vehemently denied allegations of.

You know it would have sort of helped if he had brought up the whole "Homeless were being murdered by youngsters out of ennui" rather than "They were questioning Japanese Authority and old timers". (Which, given how he looked at Jin-Roh, sort of should have told me.)

It's not just Sage, but a lot of pro-military complex types also go for the half-told ordeal to push it as a "This is actually a Don't Question the Military Because You Don't Know poo poo" movie.

BigRed0427 posted:

Part of me kind of wants to see this because I have the first one (It was a gift). If you love baffling bad movies then you need to see Planes. Even though it's a racing movie it has this weird fixation on the military including A Vietnam flashback played completely straight I think it's a great example of the worst that can happen when a movie is seen as a product just to move toys and poo poo and no one thinks about what is actually IN the movie.

Given that the whole movie is about the Plane wanting to become a military plane on the first part, yeah it sort of makes sense.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 3, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Kunster posted:

Did F-Plus stop doing poo poo like supporting Autism Speaks?

What? I'm pretty sure you have them confused with someone else. The F Plus is a podcast about reading gross poo poo and bad poetry on the Internet.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well they do read gross poo poo, but they included autistic people's criticism on Autism Speaks as "gross poo poo".

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Kunster posted:

Well they do read gross poo poo, but they included autistic people's criticism on Autism Speaks as "gross poo poo".

Wait, are you talking about the episode where they read stuff from mother.com? I'm pretty the "critics" that F-Plus mocked are also the same group of people who think vaccines can cause autism.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What was off about Sage's reading of Jin-Roh?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I dunno, he seemed really sympathetic at the stormtroopers on the movie.

Equeen posted:

Wait, are you talking about the episode where they read stuff from mother.com? I'm pretty the "critics" that F-Plus mocked are also the same group of people who think vaccines can cause autism.

Nah, it was one from a while before where one talks on how abusive the measures endorsed by Autism Speaks were (altho one compared it to those Homosexuality Repair therapy things, which yeah I could see why they picked that quote).

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 3, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Literally the only time 'they've' brought it up one person said thought AS was stupid and predatory with its 'if I didn't have Autism I'd have nothing, and curing Autism is like 'curing' gay people' poo poo in a passing joke so I have no idea why you care this much or think they support it or whatever.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I do because AS pulls poo poo like defending mental institutions that put shock collars on kids because they shake their hands and taze a kid over and over again for not making his bed. And F-Plus painted the objection as "Man, internet weirdos am I right", prefacing it as a good organization that helps people.

I know folk find me odd for being peeved about it, but it's more of an ingrained problem with this sort of stuff than exclusively F+.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 3, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

I do because AS pulls poo poo like defending mental institutions that put shock collars on kids because they shake their hands and taze a kid over and over again for not making his bed. And F-Plus painted the objection as "Man, internet weirdos am I right", prefacing it as a good organization that helps people.

I know folk find me odd for being peeved about it, but it's more of an ingrained problem with this sort of stuff than exclusively F+.

Nah man, I totally get where you're coming from. F+ seems like good guys who wouldn't intentionally support a lovely organization though.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hence why I asked. There could have been a mailbag or a comment thread response where they go "Yeah we looked better into why folk objected to that org and we can see why. We apologize if we came across as being supportive of such" or whatever that I missed.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Hey guys, guess what?

I'm doing videos again! :D

Specifically, I'm doing anime and video game music countdowns, bi-monthly, on Anime News Network, as a video column. Very excited about it, had to keep it mum for about a month while it was getting prepared.

First column went up today! It's the Top Ten Anime Opening Theme Songs of 2014!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Haha yes, Stand Proud made it on! It's such a loving awesome song. I also agree Mahouka had a better opening then it had any right to. One of the elements that really makes you think it'll be better then it turns out to be after awhile.

It's really great you're doing videos again Jay O. I loved all your old stuff.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kunster posted:

Hence why I asked. There could have been a mailbag or a comment thread response where they go "Yeah we looked better into why folk objected to that org and we can see why. We apologize if we came across as being supportive of such" or whatever that I missed.

You could ask in the RGD F Plus thread, a number of the Ridiculists post there.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jay O posted:

Hey guys, guess what?

I'm doing videos again! :D

Specifically, I'm doing anime and video game music countdowns, bi-monthly, on Anime News Network, as a video column. Very excited about it, had to keep it mum for about a month while it was getting prepared.

First column went up today! It's the Top Ten Anime Opening Theme Songs of 2014!

Yay! I was wondering if you were going to do this.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
After watching the first movie nights, I've found mysellf humming "you got arrested!, you got arrested! because you're an alcoholic! " a few times.

I liked the first episode. Maybe it needs to be a little more scripted to tighten up the pacing a little, but I thought it was a fun relaunch of Lupa's show.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 3, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If Todd's really reading this thread he should go watch JJBA and keep himself busy with a "do short reviews about the bands referenced in jojo" special like he's been doing with his Madonna reviews.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If anybody is reading this they should watch JJBA.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If anybody is reading this they should watch JJBA.

And also read it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

If Todd's really reading this thread he should go watch JJBA and keep himself busy with a "do short reviews about the bands referenced in jojo" special like he's been doing with his Madonna reviews.

The problem with that is that it's gonna get really unsubtle starting with Part 4. Yes, even less subtle then Robert EO Speedwagon. Araki just starts naming all Stands after bands and songs, like Rolling Stone and Notorious B.I.G.

Whoever is in charge of the official subs is going to have a heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

The problem with that is that it's gonna get really unsubtle starting with Part 4. Yes, even less subtle then Robert EO Speedwagon. Araki just starts naming all Stands after bands and songs, like Rolling Stone and Notorious B.I.G.

Whoever is in charge of the official subs is going to have a heart attack.

Like I said, just something to keep him busy so he can just knock out small pieces of content in between his main things. At least that's the impression I got from his Madonna film reviews, they seemed way more casual compared to his music reviews and top 10s and one-hit wonderlands.

• Locked thread