Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To celebrate my apparent insanity, I played as Zant for literally the first time ever. He doesn't seem as bad as people say...I had little trouble with his Level 2 scimitar mission, just stomped my way to an 85% full meter and mashed basic combos after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

jivjov posted:

To celebrate my apparent insanity, I played as Zant for literally the first time ever. He doesn't seem as bad as people say...I had little trouble with his Level 2 scimitar mission, just stomped my way to an 85% full meter and mashed basic combos after that.

Zant is fun to play as, the problem is his attacks are just too weak and there are a lot of animations that you can't dodge-cancel out of and don't give you invincibility frames

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Speaking of Zant, I gave his C4 combo (the hopping around one) another shot based on people on various forums recommending it, and my conclusion is it's pretty trash, at least when there's more than one captain around. Not only can you take damage during the hops, but you can get completely knocked out of the finishing animation, with the only way to cancel that being to use your special or I guess Focus Spirit. I'll be sticking to C3 as my main way of charging crazy meter with him. Once he's up on the totem pole he's safe, and you can mash dodge to avoid things as soon as he touches back down to the ground.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zant takes a lot more getting used to than some of the other characters. I got acquainted with him in the many tries I had to do to get his number 3 weapon and now he and I are pals. I enjoy building up his crazy meter and then firing off the crazy at lizards.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Just got the DLC. So how in the world are Epona and Dominion Rod supposed to work? I've just been button mashing so far. Also, Twili Midna is loving amazing. But she seems kinda stationary? Like does she get invincibility for any of her fancy combos or can she doge cancel? Kinda worried about Damage A Ranks

My first thought when I read about Hyrule Warriors breaking 1M sales was "There're that many WiiU's out there?" :v: But hopefully this means more content in the future!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Doge Canceling is a really funny thought.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Doge Canceling is a really funny thought.

Lol

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
jesus gently caress i just summoned the moon from majora's mask to power-slam argorok

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Just got the DLC. So how in the world are Epona and Dominion Rod supposed to work? I've just been button mashing so far. Also, Twili Midna is loving amazing. But she seems kinda stationary? Like does she get invincibility for any of her fancy combos or can she doge cancel? Kinda worried about Damage A Ranks

My first thought when I read about Hyrule Warriors breaking 1M sales was "There're that many WiiU's out there?" :v: But hopefully this means more content in the future!

Epona I don't have too much experience with, but from what I've played her main thing is that she can juggle enemies basically forever. Alternate between the triple stomp and the multikick, use a carrot occasionally to launch enemies, and don't let them hit the ground until they're dead.

Dominion Rod is all about spacing and controlling the statues. She has two statues, the green owl and the red hammer, and can toggle between them by using strong attacks. The standard strong attack toggles between red-green-none, S2 and S5 set it to green, S3 and S4 set it to red. The green one spins around wildly, making it great for mobs and getting around guards, while the red one focuses on a small area but does more damage, making it better for bosses and PCs. There's no reason to not have a statue out, either. My general strategy is to use S2 to get the owl statue out, flail around wildly until the area's clear, then repeat as needed. If I need a damage boost, use s3 to clear the area or s4 to hammer the area right in front of you, then lock on to the nearest enemy and pummel them until they die. It's not the most sophisticated weapon, but it has massive AOE.

Twili Midna doesn't have much in the way of invincibility frames, as far as I can tell, but she doesn't really need them. Her standard Strong Attack is a massive AOE centered on her that takes forever to fire if her meter's empty, but if it's full it goes out near instantly. All of her attacks hit a wide area; use S3 to knock away enemies, S5 to wipe out midrange groups, and her S6 has massive range and basically fills her meter in one go. Switching between S6 and S1 will clear out most enemies pretty easily.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I finally hit a mission I straight up can't beat. A Kill 1000 enemies in 10 minutes map in the TP DLC. Tried it both in single and multiplayer but couldn't do it in either, which hasn't happened before.

Tried it first with my brother and couldn't get enough kills due to the reduced spawns. Normally I take out key targets while he farms kills, but he was garbage at doing that on this map for some reason. So instead I had to handle all 5 Argorok spawns while also making sure to farm a bunch of kills, which isn't easy given the margin of error on Argorok's guard breaks was about 0.5 seconds. We could of beaten it a few times, but he hosed up and got his rear end burnt by Argorok spawning behind multiple times since he tunnel visions hard. Other times I messed up too many Argorok guard breaks so I couldn't get enough kills. Gave up about after an hour.

Tried it solo, but even with the increased enemy spawns it seems impossible to clear it. I could get 1000 kills in 10 minutes if I could just focus on killing, but Argorok doesn't let me. Once more than two spawn I straight up can't handle avoiding them since their flame breath takes up so much space and he chases you so fast. If they didn't take two perfect guard breaks to kill each I could just dispatch them, but as it is they waste too much time.

So I'm stuck. Not sure what the answer is here since at level 97 with the Master Sword I can't beat it, and I doubt any of Link's other weapons would perform better.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I finally hit a mission I straight up can't beat. A Kill 1000 enemies in 10 minutes map in the TP DLC. Tried it both in single and multiplayer but couldn't do it in either, which hasn't happened before.

Tried it first with my brother and couldn't get enough kills due to the reduced spawns. Normally I take out key targets while he farms kills, but he was garbage at doing that on this map for some reason. So instead I had to handle all 5 Argorok spawns while also making sure to farm a bunch of kills, which isn't easy given the margin of error on Argorok's guard breaks was about 0.5 seconds. We could of beaten it a few times, but he hosed up and got his rear end burnt by Argorok spawning behind multiple times since he tunnel visions hard. Other times I messed up too many Argorok guard breaks so I couldn't get enough kills. Gave up about after an hour.

Tried it solo, but even with the increased enemy spawns it seems impossible to clear it. I could get 1000 kills in 10 minutes if I could just focus on killing, but Argorok doesn't let me. Once more than two spawn I straight up can't handle avoiding them since their flame breath takes up so much space and he chases you so fast. If they didn't take two perfect guard breaks to kill each I could just dispatch them, but as it is they waste too much time.

So I'm stuck. Not sure what the answer is here since at level 97 with the Master Sword I can't beat it, and I doubt any of Link's other weapons would perform better.

The C3 of the gauntlets always instant breaks argarok for me if I do it twice, would that work?

He's honestly the easiest big boss for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The C3 of the gauntlets always instant breaks argarok for me if I do it twice, would that work?

He's honestly the easiest big boss for me.

Yeah, Agarok being weak to lightning makes it trivial for the Gauntlet/Book/Harp etc. to absolutely wreck him.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

The Dominion Rod is mostly about crowd control. One of the main appeals is that while doing any combo, you can summon a statue which will always attack in the same pattern, while you can turn around and handle the enemies behind you because you can turn and attack independently from it. You can pick which statue to use by activating any strong attack. The Dominion Rod also destroys weak points if you can get a statue in on the attack, even at a distance. It doesn't do particularly well at dealing with individual targets outside of hitting weak points, however, and the basic combo is exceptionally time-consuming. While combing you and the statue's individual mobility is handy, you simply don't have as much range to work with if enemies decide to focus on you instead.

Epona is all about juggling enemies. If you launch enemies, you can use the basic strong attack to dash forward, which gives you access to a few new moves that you can only do while dashing that help with juggling. That's what the carrot meter is for, and that's all it does. You'll pretty much never run out of carrots unless you try to. A good strategy is to actually juggle enemies with high health over to another area you're moving to, but it takes practice to get the hang of. One of the combos, I think C3? It's the one where you dash forward in a zig-zag pattern. That can clear out keeps exceptionally fast. But your special attacks and focus spirit attacks don't have a lot of range, damage, or area. Epona is basically about flowing quickly from one point of conflict to another and clearing up trouble areas as quickly as possible. Also if you have the Dark Link costume, Epona becomes Dark Epona, which is neat.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 3, 2015

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Arbitrary Coin posted:

9.2 million shipped worldwide as of December.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Internet Kraken posted:

I made a victory post about this on the previous page. My strat was to buy the SP mix to ensure I always had a panic button on deck, and spammed the poo poo out of C3 with the Master Sword. Start by taking out all the Deku Babas (you may need to fail and retry so they spawn instantly and avoid wasting your mix), then just try to hit as many goons with C3 as you can from as far away as possible. With good aim you can kill over 50 in one go, and you'll be dealing hefty collateral damage to the Stallords so they'll thin out as you go. Once the first Argorok spawns, you really need to make sure that you hit as many guys with as few C3s possible for the rest of the stage. Keep moving, and don't hesitate to use your special if you so much as see anything bigger then a mook within arm's reach.

If you're lucky, sometimes an Argorok or two will get stuck in a corner in the top-left section of the map. It took me quite a few retries but I managed to beat it in about 5 and a half minutes without getting hit, which I mainly attribute to dumb luck. Also my Link is level 111, so yours isn't too much worse off. It'll still be tough, but just beating it in the time given should be doable.

If you feel like trying with Darunia, it's mainly the same thing. Use C4 at range and C3 if you have dudes in your face. I did beat that first go, but I had to chug both my potions and scrounge for hearts. Just focus on killing the little dudes and you should be set.

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 3, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

kvx687 posted:

Epona I don't have too much experience with, but from what I've played her main thing is that she can juggle enemies basically forever. Alternate between the triple stomp and the multikick, use a carrot occasionally to launch enemies, and don't let them hit the ground until they're dead.

Dominion Rod is all about spacing and controlling the statues. She has two statues, the green owl and the red hammer, and can toggle between them by using strong attacks. The standard strong attack toggles between red-green-none, S2 and S5 set it to green, S3 and S4 set it to red. The green one spins around wildly, making it great for mobs and getting around guards, while the red one focuses on a small area but does more damage, making it better for bosses and PCs. There's no reason to not have a statue out, either. My general strategy is to use S2 to get the owl statue out, flail around wildly until the area's clear, then repeat as needed. If I need a damage boost, use s3 to clear the area or s4 to hammer the area right in front of you, then lock on to the nearest enemy and pummel them until they die. It's not the most sophisticated weapon, but it has massive AOE.

Twili Midna doesn't have much in the way of invincibility frames, as far as I can tell, but she doesn't really need them. Her standard Strong Attack is a massive AOE centered on her that takes forever to fire if her meter's empty, but if it's full it goes out near instantly. All of her attacks hit a wide area; use S3 to knock away enemies, S5 to wipe out midrange groups, and her S6 has massive range and basically fills her meter in one go. Switching between S6 and S1 will clear out most enemies pretty easily.

I made some posts about both the Dominion Rod's moveset and Twili Midna's moveset earlier in the thread, but the stuff listed here is pretty much spot on, too. You didn't mention Twili Midna's C4 (the light cannon) for long range strikes and clearing a huge line of dudes out, though. With Twili Midna against captains/PCs, a full meter C1 will instantly break a Weak Point Gauge, and if you don't have that you can do a C2 where the weak hit whiffs and then juggle with the weak combo, but that's harder. With the Dominion Rod, just doing normal combos with the Hammer statue out will break captain/PC WPGs provided both the Rod and the Statue are connecting attacks, or you can do C2 into weak juggle although this can be inconsistent, too. Neither character is particularly good against giant boss WPGs from what I found, both needing at least one special to guarantee it breaks in one knockdown.

With Epona, I found out I was severely undervaluing standing/walking C1. It's an extremely strong rush attack that gets up to dash speed instantly and it breaks officer/PC weak points in one hit. Epona can also go into this dash after several of her strong combo enders by holding the Strong Attack button. I know this works after C2-3 (that's YXXX or BYYY), and it works after several other moves, too. For dealing with trash mobs, C5 is pretty nice at bunching them up while continuing to move toward your destination.

Internet Kraken posted:

You should start by ignoring every non-trash mob enemy on the map except Deku Babas and Stalmasters. It's not worth it to take out the PCs and incredibly not worth it to ever bother with any of the Argoroks if you're shooting for the A Rank. Other than that, it's about efficient clearing of groups and hopefully never getting hit.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Seriously gently caress any map where you fight the imprisoned on a loving time limit. The one you need to do to get to Lana's gate weapon is such a pain in the rear end

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Seriously gently caress any map where you fight the imprisoned

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seriously gently caress the imprisoned

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Seriously gently caress

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Argorak is real easy until there are two of him or another boss around and then he's kind of a pain in the balls.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
When do I unlock Zant, he makes incredibly goofy noises and fights like a wacko, he looks like a fun guy.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
2 dumb questions:

1) When it says "don't lose more than 4 hearts" for A rank, does that mean don't go lower than 4 hearts, or don't lose 4 hearts worth of health at all ever, no matter how much you keep filling them back up?

2) As far as getting heart containers in Legend Mode, do you get a heart container for each difficulty level, or do you get 1 heart container/piece at any difficulty level and that's it?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

yamdankee posted:

2 dumb questions:

1) When it says "don't lose more than 4 hearts" for A rank, does that mean don't go lower than 4 hearts, or don't lose 4 hearts worth of health at all ever, no matter how much you keep filling them back up?

2) As far as getting heart containers in Legend Mode, do you get a heart container for each difficulty level, or do you get 1 heart container/piece at any difficulty level and that's it?

1 it's don't lose 4 hearts worth of health, even if you heal.

2 the pieces and containers can only be gotten once and difficulty doesn't matter. Also heart pieces are useless and can actually be a detriment on some MQ stages so I wouldn't go out of my way for them unless you really want to collect everything.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
That said the only things you have to avoid losing 4 hearts for are the second skulltulas in adventure mode stages. For A ranks, damage taken is typically less than 4,000, which equates to 10 hearts, or something like 10,000 (25 hearts) for the harder end stages.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

FYI - it's usually 10 hearts (4000) damage for A rank - 4 heart limit is reserved for the hard skulltula (and only until the skulltula spawns)
The "red squares" usually have a 25 heart A rank (10k)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jibo posted:

1 it's don't lose 4 hearts worth of health, even if you heal.

Which means if you're getting skulltulas, it's actually easier not to collect hearts if you can avoid them, just to track how much damage you've taken. I always think that I've gone over when I'm in one of the moblin stages, only to discover that I just barely squeezed by. I still missed one of them, though, because it was in the desert and generated in that back room that takes forever to get to! :argh:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

gently caress the hard skulltula on the "Defeat the Demon King" stage

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Jibo posted:

heart pieces are useless and can actually be a detriment on some MQ stages

:aaaaa: I spent the last 10 hours of play exclusively on getting hearts. :negative:

Why can it be a detriment?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I don't know if it's detrimental or not, but it's definitely useless. Like Wild Knight said, the A-rank limits are flat, 10 hearts and 25 hearts, so getting more doesn't make it any easier.

Also, you only ever actually die on 'don't get hit' missions, so it's not like they're useful there either.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Welp, I guess I'll just go back to Skulltula hunting. Thanks guys.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The hearts are functionally useless but enjoy earning them, as trophies.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

THE loving MOON posted:

I don't know if it's detrimental or not, but it's definitely useless. Like Wild Knight said, the A-rank limits are flat, 10 hearts and 25 hearts, so getting more doesn't make it any easier.

Also, you only ever actually die on 'don't get hit' missions, so it's not like they're useful there either.

If your health meter is low enough you can get hit on some Don't Get Hit stages and still get an A Rank. I've actually done it a few times with Dorf who I have no hearts for for whatever reason.

E: It's also easier to heal back up to full when you do get hit when your meter is small.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So what are "level 2" and "level 3" weapons? Is that referring the stars that appear next to some weapons?

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So what are "level 2" and "level 3" weapons? Is that referring the stars that appear next to some weapons?

Every weapon has three tiers of quality, and each tier has a different model and name. So for example Lana's level 1 spear is the deku spear, and level 2 is called the kokiri spear. When you go through adventure mode you can unlock the higher level weapons, which have higher power and more slots. The stars indicate higher attack power within a weapon tier. A tier 2 weapon with 0 stars is stronger than a tier 1 with 5 stars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No. A weapon has two rankings:

Stars (1-5) which determines its power.
Tier: This weapon changes look and name and begins stronger than a 5-star weapon of the previous tier.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You unlock specific tiers, totally separate from the star ranking, although I believe the higher tier weapons will tend toward higher star ratings as well. Link's swords are either "Knight's sword," "White Sword" or "Magical Sword," for example, with each new tier having progressively higher minimum and maximum base attacks. Some of the basic weapons are unlocked through legendary mode, but most are unlocked through the Adventure mode map. Once you've unlocked a tier, enemies can begin dropping them (although they will also still sometimes drop the lower tier weapons).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What is it that's determining how much damage i'm doing to playable character bosses?

Like Link will deal massive amounts of damage to Ganondorf, Ghirahim will do loads to Link. but Ghiram doesn't do much to Ganondorf.

Also, does the master quest deliberately force you through a certain route with its limited harp spawns the and number of squares that require them? I keep hitting dead ends because i don't have the items to progress.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bicyclops posted:

Which means if you're getting skulltulas, it's actually easier not to collect hearts if you can avoid them, just to track how much damage you've taken. I always think that I've gone over when I'm in one of the moblin stages, only to discover that I just barely squeezed by. I still missed one of them, though, because it was in the desert and generated in that back room that takes forever to get to! :argh:

The patch that accompanies the new dlc adds a "damage taken" count that you can see when you pause during a level.

Also I try to get all the heart pieces because I need to level up all these characters, may as well have a goal to work towards while I replay the levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Suaimhneas posted:

The patch that accompanies the new dlc adds a "damage taken" count that you can see when you pause during a level.

Also I try to get all the heart pieces because I need to level up all these characters, may as well have a goal to work towards while I replay the levels

Yeah, that's basically what the heart pieces and skulltulas are for me. It's a way to feel better about the grind when I don't feel prepared to do the actual weapon unlocks.

• Locked thread