Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah a fun episode. Loved the license plate gag. And the Maloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That insult battle between James and Hammond was something to behold. I want to believe it was extemporaneous.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh, and my particular howl-with-laughter moment was the realization of Jeremy's cockamamie scheme to build a bonfire around the three of them. :lol:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
The true bombshell was that James is flexible enough to crawl into a GT-R's trunk.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
The amount of times I've driven around the pit in Iron Ore mines sites thinking "this would be an amazing rally stage", whilst having to obey the 40 kph speed limit.

Given the ridiculous OHS required at these sites, I'm staggered that the producers of the show got permission for that. I take it was a decommissioned pit as well, because no-one would stop production for a shift to allow a tv show to film.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ville Valo posted:

The true bombshell was that James is flexible enough to crawl into a GT-R's trunk.

I've been in one. It's spacious

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Ecstatic posted:

The amount of times I've driven around the pit in Iron Ore mines sites thinking "this would be an amazing rally stage", whilst having to obey the 40 kph speed limit.

Given the ridiculous OHS required at these sites, I'm staggered that the producers of the show got permission for that. I take it was a decommissioned pit as well, because no-one would stop production for a shift to allow a tv show to film.

I used to do payroll for a mine site (from the safety of a Brisbane inner city office) and from the looks of it - you're right - the dusty handful of randoms watching are either doing caretaker duties or are the last leg of a wind down crew.

That end argument had me howling, that whole "little boy" comment is what did it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Great episode, fantastic cinematography and visuals. Pity they didn't race the dump trucks.

Also of note, Wave Hill cattle station is only the 7th largest Australian farm. The largest is slightly larger than Israel.

They should have done some top speeds on the unrestricted roads, although those are a bit further south in the Northern Territory. Although driving at top speed on public roads might be an insurance issue too.

Edit: Also, shiftyeyes.gifv
http://imgur.com/gallery/n1a0hFI

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 2, 2015

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Great episode. I really want some sort of extended cut of the open pit mine hill climb, that's got to be some of the most exciting footage I've seen on Top Gear. Film-crew were in a wonderland.

Makes me just want to hop in the car and drive the Nullabor, got to stop putting that trip off for another year every summer.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Might have to buy the Bluray for this season for that episode and its outtakes. Beautiful filming.

Also holy poo poo that M6 is stunning. The lines were all in *just* the right places.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Just watched it.
What the hell is the point of a 6 series that's a 4 door? I thought the whole point of the 6 was they introduec it to replace 5 series coupes?
Legendary BMW way of doing things I guess. Probably an options list a A4 sheet long and prices to match. Must be hard to push away the ming mole at their dealers.

Ep was OK, but kind of boring for an Aussie. Boring to look at your own country but I like the top gear eps in other continents that I haven't seen so it's obviously a personal critique. I was more interested when roadkill came down here though to be honest.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 2, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fo3 posted:

Just watched it.
What the hell is the point of a 6 series that's a 4 door? I thought the whole point of the 6 was they introduec it to replace 5 series coupes?
Legendary BMW way of doing things I guess. Probably an options list a A4 sheet long and prices to match. Must be hard to push away the ming mole at their dealers.

Ep was OK, but kind of boring for an Aussie. Boring to look at your own country but I like the top gear eps in other continents that I haven't seen so it's obviously a personal critique. I was more interested when roadkill came down here though to be honest.

The four door 6 Series is supposed to compete against the Mercedes CLS/Audi A7.

I disagree with your comments about it being boring for an Aussie, I loving loved it. Especially the dust wakes the GT-R was kicking up while doing the race around the mine. The Outback, especially just after the wet season, has some lovely areas.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

angryhampster posted:

Might have to buy the Bluray for this season for that episode and its outtakes. Beautiful filming.

Also holy poo poo that M6 is stunning. The lines were all in *just* the right places.

Do the blurays have outtakes and extra bits?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Uh yea not liking this special says something negative about you as a person.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The thing I thought was most interesting about this week was the braking test. I know the highway estimates are high on purpose and those were fancy performance cars but seeing them stop up at like 1/3 the distance was crazy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

projecthalaxy posted:

The thing I thought was most interesting about this week was the braking test. I know the highway estimates are high on purpose and those were fancy performance cars but seeing them stop up at like 1/3 the distance was crazy.

Performance? Forget that, seeing a loving Continental GT stop like that was the most insane thing.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Could have done without the star in a car. Good episode though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

They obviously cheated a bit. very few cars actually brake 60-0 in under 100 feet, no road car does it in 70 feet. car mag testing puts the 60-0 if the M6 gran coupe at around 115 feet.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Easy Mac posted:

Could have done without the star in a car. Good episode though.

I think they have to have that segment because of the strange ways the BBC budgets programs.

For example, the 80s show "The Young Ones" was known as a light entertainment show, not a comedy. Why? Because they had a band playing in each episode. Doing that meant Ben Elton got more money for the show rather than it being a comedy. It is probably the same case with Top Gear, if they have the interview segment in the show, they get a bigger budget.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Powershift posted:

They obviously cheated a bit. very few cars actually brake 60-0 in under 100 feet, no road car does it in 70 feet. car mag testing puts the 60-0 if the M6 gran coupe at around 115 feet.

They were clearly braking before the mark, but it's Top Gear, who cares?

I thought this episode had some really funny moments, so far this season (including Patagonia) has been pretty good, and next week's guest is Daniel Ricciardo so it's only going to get better.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I felt this episode was better than last weeks. It had it all: a three car challenge, something grandiose, tongue in cheek political humour, May being a smart rear end. :allears:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Bloody Mrs. Windsor :argh:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jehde posted:

I felt this episode was better than last weeks. It had it all: a three car challenge, something grandiose, tongue in cheek political humour, May being a smart rear end. :allears:

Yeah the first ep was pretty solid but this was a really, really good one.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

lt_kennedy posted:

Bloody Mrs. Windsor :argh:

I knew what they actually meant, but I didn't like being called a Republican :ohdear: I blame you, America (though I'm sure you feel the same about the whole Liberal/Liberal thing)!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

spog posted:

Do the blurays have outtakes and extra bits?

Usually a little bit I believe.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I want Pit Racing to be an official rally competition now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I kind of really want a Maloo now. What a ridiculous car

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
American interest in the ute died with the El Camino. Subaru made that awful looking thing a decade ago that always make me chuckle when I see them because of the terrible 90s color schemes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

8ender posted:

I kind of really want a Maloo now. What a ridiculous car

http://www.lefthandutes.com/

They have a green 2010 with the 6.2L LS3 swapped from a G8 for $85k.

You're welcome.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, GM was planning on making an Ute version of the G8 available in the US, but scrapped it. Just more proof that GM is literally Hitler.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 5, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ariza posted:

Subaru made that awful looking thing a decade ago that always make me chuckle when I see them because of the terrible 90s color schemes.
Oh, you missed out on the VAG contribution to the party.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Oh, you missed out on the VAG contribution to the party.

I'm only upset that it doesn't have a Targa top. :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Probably still more room inside than a modern Holden ute - damned if they aren't one of the most claustrophobic vehicles on the market.

Holden did used to do a double cab version which was much nicer to be in, but it ended up impractically long so no one bought them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KillHour posted:

I'm only upset that it doesn't have a Targa top. :(
There was a wet weather pack...

dissss posted:

Probably still more room inside than a modern Holden ute
There's almost certainly someone out there with a turbo VR6 one that'd give a Maloo a run for its money, too...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That Skoda is hilarious and awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

InitialDave posted:

There was a wet weather pack...

There's almost certainly someone out there with a turbo VR6 one that'd give a Maloo a run for its money, too...

I meant the other way around - being able to remove the roof from the cab to make a full-on convertible-car-truck-thing.

Convertible pickup trucks would be awesome, and they would be even better as a Ute.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Didn't Dodge make a hideous purple truck with a drop-top?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KillHour posted:

You're welcome.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, GM was planning on making an Ute version of the G8 available in the US, but scrapped it. Just more proof that GM is literally Hitler.

How is it legal to import these and sell them?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ariza posted:

American interest in the ute died with the El Camino. Subaru made that awful looking thing a decade ago that always make me chuckle when I see them because of the terrible 90s color schemes.

The Subaru Baja was really cool, especially the purple ones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

How is it legal to import these and sell them?

KillHour posted:

6.2L LS3 swapped from a G8

It's registered as a Pontiac with really extensive body modifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

You're welcome.

A Pontiac I would have been interested in.