Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Apple2o posted:

I dunno; I literally just had my first dungeon run ever ruined by a series of crits that made my plague doctor get masochistic. Next thing I know he's pushing himself to the front every fight and not moving out of the way for the melee characters. Good thing he got killed pretty quick up there.

Sometimes the masochistic ones will just self harm to get their pain fix, even into deaths door and properly killing themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
One thing that kind of annoyed me was after I beat dungeons, then go to the little level-up screen and click the drama masks to receive my next quirk... so many of them just got negative ones. One dude just somehow contracted syphilis from the dungeon. They obviously can get good traits, too, but I wonder if it has anything to do with performance or anything.

( I can't wait to get this game myself. )

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Geokinesis posted:

Sometimes the masochistic ones will just self harm to get their pain fix, even into deaths door and properly killing themselves.

I think I've lost 2 people this way :negative:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Was really hoping it would be a midnight release so I could install it and check it out a little before I go to sleep. Going to be so tempting tomorrow to duck out of work an hour early.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Firstborn posted:

I think it might've been Masochistic... today my Occultist got something that made it so I couldn't heal him. He was on death's door, and when I tried to do the Vestal single target heal, he said something like, "the body's natural healing will suffice" and just wasted my turn.

Yeah, in streams I've seen characters refuse heals or orders to move positions in the party. I think most of them were stress-panicking but maybe not all.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, in streams I've seen characters refuse heals or orders to move positions in the party. I think most of them were stress-panicking but maybe not all.

I got that one, too. My Grave Digger was suddenly like, "An evil spirit tries to give me commands! I'm my own woman!" or something, and she just decided on a move herself.

I also had the Cleric lady start freaking out and saying poo poo like, "Why didn't you dodge that? You're doing that on purpose!" - "You are going to leave me here to die!", and another time Grave Digger kept saying something like, "You are going to lower our fee", or something, in relation to me killing enemies will somehow mean less gold for her.

It's also pretty goddamn depressing when the party makes their closing remarks before resting for a camptime nap if they have lovely morale. A Plague Doctor said, "I'm happy to be traveling with you all :3:" and then my Bounty Hunter is like, "There's no point, we're all dead anyway." Goodnight!

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 3, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Paranoid is hilarious for this. If you have someone who becomes Paranoid, have someone else attempt to move into their space. Most of the time it doesn't work, the action is wasted, and the paranoid person is like 'DON'T loving COME NEAR ME I'LL CUT YOU'

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Shame there isn't some campfire action or very risky class-based in-combat action to just pull a "GET IT TOGETHER MAN" and outright backhand/shake an offending party member into behaving themselves for the rest of a fight.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's a couple of risky campfire actions that do a great thing but have a chance to backfire, or do a great thing to themselves but gently caress up everyone else. Like the Leper taking off his mask to relieve stress freaks everybody else right the gently caress out. Or when the Hellion decides to make fun of Not-Jesus for the evening to wind down and your other dudes get all pissed off.

Also, the Man-At-Arms class looks like the concept art for "War Hero". He might have some kind of inspiring buff (or Commissar-like beating) or something.

I feel like a straight Wizard and maybe like a Druid type control class is missing to get the full D&D stock characters list going.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 3, 2015

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Firstborn posted:

There's a couple of risky campfire actions that do a great thing but have a chance to backfire, or do a great thing to themselves but gently caress up everyone else. Like the Leper taking off his mask to relieve stress freaks everybody else right the gently caress out. Or when the Hellion decides to make fun of Not-Jesus for the evening to wind down and your other dudes get all pissed off.

Also, the Man-At-Arms class looks like the concept art for "War Hero". He might have some kind of inspiring buff (or Commissar-like beating) or something.

I meant less stress reduction, and more a panic button for when stress is maxed and someone gets a seriously lovely bad trait like Selfish.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how big the game will be to download?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think it was on the order of 600-700 megs, nothing huge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Firstborn posted:

I feel like a straight Wizard and maybe like a Druid type control class is missing to get the full D&D stock characters list going.
Something sort of druid-ish wouldn't be out of place, but I really think that a straightup wizard would not fit in such a low-fantasy type situation. But I hate that whole character archetype, so.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm glad for no Wizard, and instead you get Cultist.I love how the character classes are all sort of atypical or outright weird. Like Leper. You wouldn't really think of that as a class, but it has really strong themes and aesthetics. You don't get Knights, you get Crusaders. No Thieves or Rogues, but more coarse things like Highwayman and Grave Robber. It's nice since it feels like an eclectic mix of roles that would end up having diverse and violent experiences, and so would logically be seeking glory or fortune by risking sanity in such a nasty place.

I wonder if the funds from the EA sale will allow them to enter more previously planned features, like color customization and town events. This game could go from excellent to amazing with a few years worth of post-release updates.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That's a good point about the classes. I restarted a couple of times, and your starting Crusader is also always a kleptomaniac. He's a little dirty, too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Black August posted:

Like Leper. You wouldn't really think of that as a class, but it has really strong themes and aesthetics.

Lepers also hit like freight trains, in my experience.Crusaders are a little more versatile though.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Black August posted:

I meant less stress reduction, and more a panic button for when stress is maxed and someone gets a seriously lovely bad trait like Selfish.

The game already has that. It's the little white flag that says "retreat" or "abandon quest" or something like that.

On the other hand stress reduction IS closer to what you want, because if you reduce an afflicted character's stress to 0 within the dungeon they lose the affliction.

Firstborn posted:

That's a good point about the classes. I restarted a couple of times, and your starting Crusader is also always a kleptomaniac. He's a little dirty, too.

What aspiring RPG protagonist isn't a klepto?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TheBlandName posted:

The game already has that. It's the little white flag that says "retreat" or "abandon quest" or something like that.

On the other hand stress reduction IS closer to what you want, because if you reduce an afflicted character's stress to 0 within the dungeon they lose the affliction.

I meant something more temporary and risky. Like you're in the middle of the boss battle and you're close to winning, but someone panicked and got a nasty trait that's going to blow the whole fight and panic spiral everyone else. So this power would try to smack sense into them so they stop going crazy for JUST that fight without having to struggle to somehow drain a 100 Stress before everyone else flips out, but it wouldn't permanently remove the affliction.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Lepers also hit like freight trains, in my experience.Crusaders are a little more versatile though.

The leper is really strong but he's hamstrung by his accuracy. You really need the turn for him to wind up with his buff or two good +accuracy items to make him effective. There's also a camp action for him to get more accuracy which really helps to mitigate the "has to buff every fight" aspect of him. His biggest weakness is probably the lack of movement skills though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Demiurge4 posted:

The leper is really strong but he's hamstrung by his accuracy. You really need the turn for him to wind up with his buff or two good +accuracy items to make him effective. There's also a camp action for him to get more accuracy which really helps to mitigate the "has to buff every fight" aspect of him. His biggest weakness is probably the lack of movement skills though.

Yeah, that is a bummer. I don't really mind the first turn buff since my Leper has the 'Calm' defect (-15% damage on the first turn), and I can usually build a fairly mobile party, so even if he is pushed back my guys can usually reposition themselves fairly quickly. Honestly though, I'm finding mobility to be much more important than raw damage- anyone else feel the same way too?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Klepto sucks, though. It means your Crusader will randomly remove items from the game. You'll come up to a bag, or chest or something and you'll see <whistles> and suddenly you can't loot it anymore. I'd try to remove it in the Sanitarium, but by the time you unlock that he probably has like 3-5 other more pressing poo poo that is effecting his stats or making him take more damage from Human enemies or something.

My buddy is saying his standard loadout for short missions is 4 food (so just 1 recharge), 8 torches, 1 Holy Water, 1 Shovel, 1 Key. He says he stopped taking Keys in Medium or above because he ends up with so much loot he has to drop poo poo anyway. He also obviously brings more food for higher missions. I think I'm going to try that setup. He also said he tried to throw a torch on a pile of books, and it backfired and gave him 80 stress. 80.

The problem with the low food count is if you get a map with a lot of branches, and the mission is like "explore 90% of rooms", the backtracking is going to make him hungry.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 3, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IronicDongz posted:

Something sort of druid-ish wouldn't be out of place, but I really think that a straightup wizard would not fit in such a low-fantasy type situation. But I hate that whole character archetype, so.

I personally want a blackmage straight up so I can have one turn abusive and give my party poo poo and have classic D&D shenanigans but in a dark realistic way.

But I can understand if that's not appropriate for their world style or whatever.

But maybe something like a hedge wizard that's like a druid / witch mix, where all his "magic" is pretty questionable and it all has a pretty high chance of complete failure. But sometimes he actually casts something.

Just a straight druid would be pretty cool too. We do have the houndmaster coming though which is gonna be the pet class.

Speaking of, having the Arbalest is going to be amazing. Obviously she's going to be a back-row sniper.

Merchant is a curveball. Who knows what that'll mean.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Maybe Merchant will be able to use the consumable items in some way, or spend gold to do damage or something.

When I suggested Druid, I was thinking more like thorny roots and stuff than summoning pets.

There's also a mysterious like "Lord Class" or something, that might just be straight-up Wizard guy or something.

We're also missing a Monk dude, too, in the D&D Martial Arts sense. I know we have Plague Doctor and it might be redundant, but the Wizard could be a Necromancer type, or a Psionic dude. I think Hellion is our Barbarian analogue, right?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 3, 2015

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Can;t wait to buy this tomorrow. Is there somewhere that has a repository of all the character classes though? Kind of want to know what classes they'll be adding to the game.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

InnercityGriot posted:

Can;t wait to buy this tomorrow. Is there somewhere that has a repository of all the character classes though? Kind of want to know what classes they'll be adding to the game.
The Kickstarter class graphic was in the OP.

Arbalest and Man-At-Arms are the next to be added, then I guess Houndmaster and Merchant. Lord Tier will be designed in part by someone that threw $5,000 at the Kickstarter.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Sanitarium costs are pretty out of whack in the mid game. Just getting a second room costs a lot of loving resources and dungeons are starting to hand out afflictions like candy. My jester got like 4 negative conditions in 1 dungeon, bad ones too like wasting disease and lockjaw. I'm going to have to get a party of scrubs and do apprentice missions just to spend time to heal everyone of their really bad afflictions.

In the hag fight, does the cauldron actually kill your characters? It seemed like it just got characters to deaths door and then dumped them out. Better to wail on the hag and just heal your guy when he pops out.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Man, my Plague Doctor is simultaneously the best and also the saddest. Every time she's in a group and gets an affliction, it's fearful, and she always just breaks down into panic or crying. She's super good at landing blight and stuns, but when she does lose it, it's heartbreaking, partly because she's the crutch for my vestal to get things done, so if she's out of commission, then I am in some serious trouble, but also because the dialogue for this game is so well done.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Super stoked to play this. My only concern is burning myself out on early access before the game comes out properly with full features :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I dunno if it's been posted in this thread but you can manually move a kleptomaniac's stolen loot into your inventory and still keep it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No midnight release for this? :saddowns:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
was quoted off their twitter earlier, 9am pacific time zone i believe.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Klepto sucks, though. It means your Crusader will randomly remove items from the game. You'll come up to a bag, or chest or something and you'll see <whistles> and suddenly you can't loot it anymore. I'd try to remove it in the Sanitarium, but by the time you unlock that he probably has like 3-5 other more pressing poo poo that is effecting his stats or making him take more damage from Human enemies or something.

My buddy is saying his standard loadout for short missions is 4 food (so just 1 recharge), 8 torches, 1 Holy Water, 1 Shovel, 1 Key. He says he stopped taking Keys in Medium or above because he ends up with so much loot he has to drop poo poo anyway. He also obviously brings more food for higher missions. I think I'm going to try that setup. He also said he tried to throw a torch on a pile of books, and it backfired and gave him 80 stress. 80.

The problem with the low food count is if you get a map with a lot of branches, and the mission is like "explore 90% of rooms", the backtracking is going to make him hungry.

This is pretty close to what I run with, though I ignore keys and poo poo because most of the time I never end up finding anything to use them on. They drop pretty frequently anyways, and you can always backtrack to a chest if you do end up finding one.

Short: 4 food, 6 torches, 1 shovel. 6 torches has never been too few, the shovel almost always gets used, and it's quite rare that I need to eat twice and not especially debilitating the few times it has happened since short missions are quite easy.

Medium: 20 food, 11 torches, 2 shovels. The food lets you eat 3 times and feast once. Torch count is always pretty much perfect. Running into 2-3 piles of rubble is fairly standard, but I don't mind using my hands for one if I come across a third and no more shovels drop.

I haven't done enough long expeditions to decide on a solid loadout. Not many pop up, and I'm generally inclined to avoid them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tracula posted:

Super stoked to play this. My only concern is burning myself out on early access before the game comes out properly with full features :(

Seems like there's still quite a bit of variety to come- I wouldn't worry about burnout, but then again I'm easily amused :v:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Dont have this yet, but watched some gameplay previews. How long are the missions? The two videos I watched of the devs playing it had dungeons of 5 rooms, not counting the start room. So it looked like really, really short missions. Though brutal. So longer than that didn't seem possible with out people being dead/stressed or higher level.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Jade Star posted:

Dont have this yet, but watched some gameplay previews. How long are the missions? The two videos I watched of the devs playing it had dungeons of 5 rooms, not counting the start room. So it looked like really, really short missions. Though brutal. So longer than that didn't seem possible with out people being dead/stressed or higher level.

I've seen some guys playing dungeons with 10+ rooms with nasty mini bosses and bosses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wooooohooo! The developers tweeted my (our, really, since I took so much from this thread) guide!

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/562454791683469313

S.J. posted:

Paranoid is hilarious for this. If you have someone who becomes Paranoid, have someone else attempt to move into their space. Most of the time it doesn't work, the action is wasted, and the paranoid person is like 'DON'T loving COME NEAR ME I'LL CUT YOU'

The vestal gets all "Keep your hands to yourself you lech" though I forget the exact wording.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 3, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, I want to know- how do I edit the .json files in this? I know it's cheating like a motherfucker, but hell, sometimes a guy just wants to laugh as he steamrolls poo poo.

Or maybe edit them so that your starting party's a different bunch of crazies than the Highwayman and the Crusader.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I played this a lot last night - have an awesome Vestal, but everyone else is various shades of hosed. I think I've successfully completed two missions. Probably going to start a new save.

Love the art style, world design and music.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So question, how intensive is this game? I have a modest video card but I'm pretty sure it goes up to Open GL 3.0. The store though, recommends 3.2 or higher - would that be a huge problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Demiurge4 posted:

Has anyone figured out what some of the weirder quirks do? There's one that gives people visions and one where they think they're possessed by a demon. Obsessed with killing is another weird one that doesn't seem to have any real benefit or drawback.

I figured out what obsessed with killing does: it makes the dude open up an iron maiden without waiting for you to use your medicinal herbs on it. Then he gets Claustrophobia.