Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Just browsing Youtube the other day and found the old Fight Quest videos. gently caress, that show was awkward.

E: As an aside, I really wish there was a Kyokushin place here.
E2: How legit does this Judo club look? http://www.blackbeltschoolofjudo.net/sensei_diane
I guess this is her? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZvOH_KHfMwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guXKNFcku28

E3: A fun article about Ed O' Neil (Al Bundy) and his jujitsu life: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/15/7551375/ed-o-neill-profile-jiu-jitsu-training

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Well the coach (if she's the coach) looks like she has some experience and the website is super ugly as it should be. The website doesn't raise any red flags to me, other than the fact that I only see pictures of kids. As long as there are classes where people are mostly/only older teens and adults then it should be fine (there are 3 "10 and up" classes so it should be ok unless that's mostly 12 years olds attending). Also 65$/month for three classes a week + 1 open mat sounds ok to me.

My advice would be to try and go in for a free class and then you'll know if you like the teaching/other students.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Firstborn posted:

E: As an aside, I really wish there was a Kyokushin place here.

Kyokushin is all fun and games till you get your liver punted to the stratosphere.Twice.In one class.

Joking aside the only thing it needs is punches to the face in regular sparring, because they are gimping a really nice, and cool karate.Off course Mas Oyama took them out for a reason and blablablabla

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

How do I learn more?

mewse
May 2, 2006

origami posted:

How do I learn more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pezq4fojLT8

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The gif looks like it's from a real demonstration

mewse
May 2, 2006

origami posted:

The gif looks like it's from a real demonstration

Oh you were actually asking. That guy is an aw shucks christian pastor from some southern state. Here's the actual video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK90rpSVRtQ&t=440s

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I like that first clip because it all looks pretty rational and then *wham* super meter engaged.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

mewse posted:

Oh you were actually asking. That guy is an aw shucks christian pastor from some southern state. Here's the actual video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK90rpSVRtQ&t=440s

Thanks - wasn't expecting the pastor angle on that

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Always liked this one

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Is "oss" really something BJJ dudes say in the Americas? We had a seminar with a Brazilian teacher last weekend. Cool guy. Very charismatic. But the thing was he called out "oss" and expected a big "oss" as a reply from the students. No one responded. No one says that here. I was pretty awkward. What does it even mean?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

General Emergency posted:

Is "oss" really something BJJ dudes say in the Americas? We had a seminar with a Brazilian teacher last weekend. Cool guy. Very charismatic. But the thing was he called out "oss" and expected a big "oss" as a reply from the students. No one responded. No one says that here. I was pretty awkward. What does it even mean?

We do an "oss" and clap/slap the mat when the instructor finishes demonstrating a technique and we pair up to practice it. I have no idea what it means, and never asked.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We [Gracie Barra] always say it. I think it's a "ok, let's go!" thing. I like it. It's fun to say :)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
It's basically 'manly Japanese grunt.' Sort of like "hoo-ah" or whatever. Basically in an MA context it's 'Did everybody get that? Anyone have any questions?' and if the students respond with osu they're saying 'we get it, let's go do it.'

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
'Oss' or 'Ossu' is a Karate thing that bled into Judo/BJJ where it now suffers from overuse http://www.karatebyjesse.com/meaning-oss-osu-japanese/

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

A Wry Smile posted:

'Oss' or 'Ossu' is a Karate thing that bled into Judo/BJJ where it now suffers from overuse http://www.karatebyjesse.com/meaning-oss-osu-japanese/

I think he's got a point in that you don't find it used in actual Japanese day to day conversation. I think the one time I saw it was in a movie, some dude had been dared to jump down on the tracks and race ahead of a train, and when someone asked "you sure you want to do this?" The response was "osu." I think if it sees more use in Western dojo's than in Japan it's because Americans suck at Japanese pronunciation and we don't have nearly the same number of formalized greetings and stuff. I figure a few sensei's just got their students saying osu for everything because that was quicker and easier than teaching everyone the aisatsu.

I think it has also moved to judo/BJJ because it's a pretty short and easy way to express that 'do you understand?' 'yes I understand' 'ready?' 'ready.' sort of deal across linguistic barriers. E.g., Brazilian guest lecturer with a bunch of American students wanting to make sure y'all got what he was saying around the accent.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I have always seen it as a western affectation, I have seen it most in karate and aikido but never from a Japanese. Too much osu-ing just looks and sounds silly.

Much better to use hai in a Japanese dojo and yes in an English one imo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
At my BJJ gym it's all the Brazilian guys who say "oss".

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And I was told to do it by an incredibly elderly Okinawan man.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

the JJ posted:

We don't have any of those.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Same here. I've never heard it used in Judo. I always thought it was just a Brazilian thing and possibly meant something in Portuguese.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

the JJ posted:

Are you just talking about yelling/letting air out while doing a technique?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Are you just talking about yelling/letting air out while doing a technique?

Nope. That's the ki-ai. Osu was just "say this when you meet sensei/soke" and a "I understand/heard you/affirmative" whatever. Useful in a loud room or whatever, or a check on language, for instance:

"What you do is bam BAM, bam, osu?"
"Uhuh."
"With your..." *points to arthritic elbow* "bam."
"Oh, osu."
"Good, good, osu."

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

the JJ posted:

Nope. That's the ki-ai. Osu was just "say this when you meet sensei/soke" and a "I understand/heard you/affirmative" whatever. Useful in a loud room or whatever, or a check on language, for instance:

"What you do is bam BAM, bam, osu?"
"Uhuh."
"With your..." *points to arthritic elbow* "bam."
"Oh, osu."
"Good, good, osu."

That sound kinda annoying to have everything end with that. We have a few students and instructors in my judo club with a minor language barrier but a thumbs up or a nod gets the point across.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

General Emergency posted:

When I did Muay Thai the instructor (Chinese) was big on OSS/OSU, but he also trained us karate style punching the air to learn techniques before doing pads/sparring. I've never seen anyone use this in BJJ in person, although I sometimes see people use it online.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I trained BJJ in Rio and never heard it

Nothing beats Muay Thai sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVsMBaMDoYI

oweeeeeeeeeeeeee

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

That sound kinda annoying to have everything end with that. We have a few students and instructors in my judo club with a minor language barrier but a thumbs up or a nod gets the point across.

It's not like it's every sentence, CB radio style. First you ball your fist osu, then you put your fist like this osu, then you get your hips into it osu then you...

It's more like *a minute of demoing the technique* "Osu?" "Osu." "Alright go drill."

Or maybe, during a group work/air punching/drill time, from across the dojo "the JJ, get deeper into your stance!" "Osu." Quick easy way to say 'yes I heard you, will try to do that' in a single syllable. I mean, it's dead easy.

Makes more sense than counting to ten in Japanese. Mostly because everyone pronounces 'ichi' 'itch.'

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I trained BJJ in Rio and never heard it

Nothing beats Muay Thai sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVsMBaMDoYI

Speaking of which, whenever I watch a muay thai fight I hear people say "Oyyyyyyy" whenever someone gets in a good hit. Where does that come from?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
For the last decade I have seriously believed 'oss' either meant something in Portuguese or was the Brazilian equivalent of a nonsense exclamation like 'woo-hoo'.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's Japanese but I think it's an old/weird term that nobody would say in modern japan and if you did they would look at you like "what is your problem"

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Did some boxing tonight for the first time. My arms are killing me already. Had a good laugh though. Sparring was very intense, getting used to breathing, being hit, striking, moving, all at once... very intimidating. Fun though.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Finally after three months of a broken foot and I'm back. Feels good.

Surprisingly didn't get fat but I'm not in as good of shape as I was and I think I forgot a lot, hope it comes back fast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Deathy McDeath posted:

Speaking of which, whenever I watch a muay thai fight I hear people say "Oyyyyyyy" whenever someone gets in a good hit. Where does that come from?

If it's American MT, the corner yells "Oii" (I assume it's Thai; you see it in enough Thai fights) and if it's Brazilian, "Boaa."

When I had my amateur match, my opponent kept landing light leg kicks in the 2nd round, setting off continual Oiis from his corner. It was a huge motivator to get back into the fight.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
My instructor told us to yell out "Oss!" at the beginning of a match to let all the "energy" out. He's kind of a hippie so we're all yeah sure buddy and sometimes do it as a joke when sparring with beginners. Then when the beginners start mimicking us we're all like dude wtf you shouting for?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So after boxing last night, I've a whole new level or respect for those who are able to clown about with their arms down. How the gently caress. I couldn't stand sparring (first time ever), though I did, but doing it with no hands down is ridiculous.

Back to BJJ today, give me some advice on being more aggressive please. I've been going 4 months now and doing quite well, I think. Getting the funadmentals down, holding my own in rolling. I see myself as very reactive and defensive (maybe all beginners naturally are?) I guess part of the reason is that I'm quite strong, decent body (not lanky, not fat, limber) and have good cardio, so I'm able to hold position, or resist other peoples' attempts at sweeps or subs. Now, having just got my first tab, I've not been taught many submissions. I don't know how to apply or go for them, really, because when no-tab people spar, we're not to do subs (I know). Can anyone advise me on being more pro-active in taking a contest, aside from researching subs on my own and stuff.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ICHIBAHN posted:

So after boxing last night, I've a whole new level or respect for those who
Back to BJJ today, give me some advice on being more aggressive please. I've been going 4 months now and doing quite well, I think. Getting the funadmentals down, holding my own in rolling. I see myself as very reactive and defensive (maybe all beginners naturally are?) I guess part of the reason is that I'm quite strong, decent body (not lanky, not fat, limber) and have good cardio, so I'm able to hold position, or resist other peoples' attempts at sweeps or subs. Now, having just got my first tab, I've not been taught many submissions. I don't know how to apply or go for them, really, because when no-tab people spar, we're not to do subs (I know). Can anyone advise me on being more pro-active in taking a contest, aside from researching subs on my own and stuff.

Who says you cant be defensive while being offensive? Grab their ankles, or knees, or wrist or whatever you can and try to shut down that arm or leg and take that to your advantage. Just go with the flow and your training will come out.

Also use your head, and i mean that in a literal sense. If you are not using your head to push arms, legs or other things you aint nothing. :colbert:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

ICHIBAHN posted:

So after boxing last night, I've a whole new level or respect for those who are able to clown about with their arms down. How the gently caress. I couldn't stand sparring (first time ever), though I did, but doing it with no hands down is ridiculous.

FWIW I have this problem too and I've been doing subs ( poorly ) since the beginning, so I think it's just a newbie thing.

I think in order to be aggressive you have to actually have a plan ( and contingency plans ) to get from point A to B. I mean, I have 1 newbie plan - ex. pass guard, side control, knee on belly, mount, arm bar - but if I can't pass guard easily it kind of goes out the window because I don't really have any contingency plans or ways to get back on track. If you don't know how and where you want to go, you can't really be aggressive.

It could be mental too - if I roll with someone who I feel like I'm a little better than, I don't have any problem just going for it and doing whatever because I can usually do the basics like at least pass guard. If I'm rolling with a higher belt or someone I know for sure is better than me I tend to become very passive and reactive, the basic stuff I try often doesn't work because my technique is poor, and I don't try very much because I'm too worried to make a move and have them potentially exploit it.

ElMaligno posted:

Who says you cant be defensive while being offensive? Grab their ankles, or knees, or wrist or whatever you can and try to shut down that arm or leg and take that to your advantage. Just go with the flow and your training will come out.

Also use your head, and i mean that in a literal sense. If you are not using your head to push arms, legs or other things you aint nothing. :colbert:

I've just started using my head more and it helps a ton - even if it's just because it helps me direct my shoulders/weight ( I never put enough weight on, or in the right place - being "too nice" ), although now I'm getting friction-burn on the sides of my face. Can't wait to get some face calluses.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 4, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the advice. For whatever reason, I never have a plan of attack, I usually just go with what's happening. Next time I'll be more proactive in trying things out.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If you take the initiative and attack them, they'll be forced to react to your attacks. Every move they make will be somehow your fault, so over time you'll get to learn what they can and can't do, and you can just run them down a path of dwindling options until you get a sub. Along the way, people will catch you with surprise subs from inferior positions, but you'll get savvy to those pretty quickly, and they'll stop catching you. Even good bottom players are constantly attacking. If you're waiting for their attack and reacting, I mean it's useful to do that when you're drilling and stuff so you learn the triggers, but when you're free rolling you want to be dictating what goes on.

Obviously this might be hard if you don't know many submissions yet, but it's an attitude thing to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I suffered from the same problem, till my coach said to me one day. Today when you roll all you're focusing on it's passing your opponents guard, when you've done that I want you getting to mount and hunting for the arm triangle.

It kind of flipped a switch, instead of being passive in my usual game I had a goal and had to work for it which lead to me being more aggressive.

• Locked thread