Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Also the Nightly Show clip did lead me to have to look up the "CDC Whistleblower" and if nobody has seen this article posted already, it's long but thorough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's also worth noting that Jenny McCarthy believes that her child is literally a wizard. No. Seriously. She refers to herself as an "indigo mom" and believes her child has magical powers.

Yeah. So aren't vaccines good? They turn your kid into a wizard!

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

SedanChair posted:

Soylent Pudding posted:

gently caress it, even if vaccines cause 100% autism, vaccinate everyone anyway. Worst case the government will have to keep more railway museums open and we'll never run out of GBS posters.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 2, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Laphroaig posted:

"gently caress it, even if vaccines cause 100% autism, vaccinate everyone anyway. Worst case the government will have to keep more railway museums open and we'll never run out of GBS posters."

This is the best response.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

SedanChair posted:

If vaccines could turn me into an autistic wizard I would inject that poo poo like heroin.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The truly hilarious thing is that apparently Jenny McCarthy's kid isn't even autistic. From what I read he has some other, rarer condition that kind of resembles autism and, surprise surprise, has zero connection to vaccines.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

The whole indigo child thing has a weird, complex history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

eNeMeE posted:

I do believe people have looked at that - and they answered with a response of "No, no they don't".

I posted this link the last time the "dirty hippies thing came up, but here's some more quotes.

Christ dude, could you at the very least format this so I can actually respond?

Quote 1: "We should look at subgroups rather than making assumptions." Fine, let's do that.
Quote 2: "We lumped all the anti-vaxxers together and they didn't belong in any one group". No poo poo. You average out the whole group and you get nothing.
Quote 3: "Stuff about support or lack thereof of mandatory vaccination laws." Doesn't really apply here at all, given that there's a huge difference between choosing to do something, and requiring others to make that choice.

So your data says absolutely nothing about the hypothesis I'm trying to make. How can you not tell the difference between "There are lefties who are anti-vax nuts, and others on the left should chime in lest these crazies gain a significant foothold" and "the majority of anti-vaxxers are lefties"? I'm trying to claim the former, and you keep throwing data discussing the latter.

SedanChair posted:

I have, but I didn't draw any conclusions about political alignment because I try not to proudly wear confirmation bias like a new hat.

Yes, because when they're screaming about BIG PHARMA and TOXINS and NATURAL ALTERNATIVES they really could just be pro-business conservatives.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, because when they're screaming about BIG PHARMA and TOXINS and NATURAL ALTERNATIVES they really could just be pro-business conservatives.

Why not? Got a bunch of MAH RIGHTS libertarians, Teabaggers, and other flavors of nuttery on this Facebook page for a raw milk dairy in the Texas panhandle. Even the urban areas vote red here so I doubt there's many liberal tree-huggers buying this stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Plains-RAW-Dairy/481676728634056

As a sidenote I've been following the thread and saw the mentions about raw dairy just yesterday and thought surely it can't be that popular. Who the gently caress wants to get TB? Then I ran across this dairy advertising in the local buy-sell-trade FB group. I'm honestly stunned.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Elderbean posted:

I really hope vaccination doesn't become a talking point in the election, I have zero-faith that the media will handle that correctly.

I have bad news for you.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CommieGIR posted:

Autism will turn into being normal when 100% of the population is autistic, I think he's on to something there

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

That Nightly show clip is the best because they asked that lady if she would give her child a vaccine against autism and she was like "No"

Wintir
Feb 2, 2015

Colder than a witch's tit
I'm interested in legislation requiring vaccinations for public school attendance. I understand that it varies from state to state. Is there any good source detailing what is required in which states as well as possible exemptions?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Wintir posted:

I'm interested in legislation requiring vaccinations for public school attendance. I understand that it varies from state to state. Is there any good source detailing what is required in which states as well as possible exemptions?
Here you go:
http://www2a.cdc.gov/nip/schoolsurv/schImmRqmt.asp
Strangely it appears that the only states that don't allow religious or philosophical exceptions are Mississippi and West Virginia.
edit: Mississippi has legislation pending that creates non-medical exceptions

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 3, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rand-paul-vaccines-mental-disorders

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) doubled down on his comments that vaccines should be "voluntary" in an interview on CNBC Monday.

"I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines," Paul said.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Funny, I have heard much the same about exposure to Ron Paul.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OwlFancier posted:

Funny, I have heard much the same about exposure to Ron Paul.

:master:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, that's correct. Their political media of choice sells them survival health food instead of new age health food.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) doubled down on his comments that vaccines should be "voluntary" in an interview on CNBC Monday.

"I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines," Paul said.

Jesus gently caress this is actually going to become a thing. This is why democracies can't have nice things.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

:lol: They just keep burying themselves, Obama truly trolled them into idiocy.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Solkanar512 posted:

At the risk of being the millionth person to make this point, these are totally words and ideas popular with the anti-establishment, survivalist leaning libertarian right. The notion that all you need are natural cures, and that the entire healthcare industry is a scam trying to bilk hard-working Americans is extremely popular with a certain kind of libertarian. Snake oil salesmen are very easy to portray as suppressed entrepreneurs, victims of a conspiracy between the federal government and "traditional medicine". Colloidal silver, folk cures, homeopathy, and anti-vaccination are definitely popular amongst the far right.

I say this as someone with a serious chronic illness (Crohn's Disease) who has talked with "alternative medicine" types on message boards for nearly a decade: the folksy, rural right loving loves quack snake-oil "alternative medicine".

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 3, 2015

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Casca posted:

Why not? Got a bunch of MAH RIGHTS libertarians, Teabaggers, and other flavors of nuttery on this Facebook page for a raw milk dairy in the Texas panhandle. Even the urban areas vote red here so I doubt there's many liberal tree-huggers buying this stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Plains-RAW-Dairy/481676728634056

As a sidenote I've been following the thread and saw the mentions about raw dairy just yesterday and thought surely it can't be that popular. Who the gently caress wants to get TB? Then I ran across this dairy advertising in the local buy-sell-trade FB group. I'm honestly stunned.

I'm not saying that right wing folks who through their own ideology come to the conclusion that vaccines are bad, raw milk is good, don't exist. I've never said that. All I'm saying is that the left has their own anti-science loonies and folks on the left should take it seriously when they encounter it.

All that these studies being presented here is that there's no one political ideology leading to this sort of poo poo. Great. There are multiple paths down this shithole. I get to deal with the ones on the left, you get to deal with the ones on the right.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anti-vaxxers are really this generation's version of Fluoride Creates Commies.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anti-vaxxers are really this generation's version of Fluoride Creates Commies.

Fluoride nutters still exist, now it's a plot by the government to make us all braindead and easier to manipulate. That's why you should only drink NATURAL water even though some natural water supplies have fluoride in them, it's NATURAL FLUORIDE.

I wish I was joking, but I've had the NATURAL FLUORIDE argument used against me before.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Elderbean posted:

Fluoride nutters still exist, now it's a plot by the government to make us all braindead and easier to manipulate. That's why you should only drink NATURAL water even though some natural water supplies have fluoride in them, it's NATURAL FLUORIDE.

I wish I was joking, but I've had the NATURAL FLUORIDE argument used against me before.

This argument is still very popular on the West Coast. I think it's the city of Portland where the water's still "pure".

edit: who provided me this information? Why, these friendly folks!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

"Chris Christie Supports Parents Who Choose Not to Vaccinate Their Kids"
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2015/02/02/chris_christie_on_vaccinations_calls_for_balance_and_parental_choice.html

Dammit I'll laugh if this becomes a common GOP platform thing. Laugh, and then cry, since a large amount of people continually vote these assholes into office.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gimp Fack posted:

"Chris Christie Supports Parents Who Choose Not to Vaccinate Their Kids"
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2015/02/02/chris_christie_on_vaccinations_calls_for_balance_and_parental_choice.html

Dammit I'll laugh if this becomes a common GOP platform thing. Laugh, and then cry, since a large amount of people continually vote these assholes into office.

At least it looks like Christie has historically only been against the flu vaccine, and then primarily because it's a yearly thing or something. No idea if he's going to turn it into something bigger now that the media has a hold of it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Elderbean posted:

Does purestrain water have fluoride?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Apparently the anti-fluoride movement is still alive in well in my area. Which will probably succeed because enough lawmakers seem to think forcing people to drink a technically unnecessary chemical in their drinking water (along with the multitude of other chemicals added to make it safe) is immoral, because freedom.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Discendo Vox posted:

This argument is still very popular on the West Coast. I think it's the city of Portland where the water's still "pure".

edit: who provided me this information? Why, these friendly folks!

I know of two Canadian cities that have removed fluoride in their water: Vancouver and Kitchener-Waterloo.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Can someone enlighten me as to whether anti-flouride people even brush their teeth?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Can someone enlighten me as to whether anti-flouride people even brush their teeth?

Some argue, wrongly, that people brushing with fluoridated toothpaste (and maybe giving out coupons for free toothpaste) is better than fluoridating the whole water supply. The ones who are just opposed to fluoride in general have a range of fluoride free toothpastes to choose from.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Does the US add iodine to all table salt to prevent goitre? It's a thing here in Brazil, and everyone is fine with it, as with vaccines (most schools won't even take a child unless it has a full vaccine chart) and fluoride.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Does the US add iodine to all table salt to prevent goitre? It's a thing here in Brazil, and everyone is fine with it, as with vaccines (most schools won't even take a child unless it has a full vaccine chart) and fluoride.

Pretty much all our salt has iodine added. You can get iodine-free salt if you really want but it takes a modicum of effort because it is a 'specialty' salt and is placed with kosher salt and the like.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Sephyr posted:

Yes, though there are all sorts of woo salt products out that that proudly proclaim that they are iodine free. My favorite part is that on most of them in really small print there is usually a disclaimer "Does not provide iodine a necessary nutrient"

For instance- https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Sea-Salt-Ground-Shaker/dp/B000SWVKAE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1422968792&sr=8-9&keywords=sea+salt

Sea salt, himalayan salt, red salt, black salt... they can cure ya good as long as you aren't sick with goiter...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sephyr posted:

You can get iodized or uniodized salt in the US, I use kosher salt in my cooking which is uniodized but that is mostly because of flavor and texture reasons. Iodine is an additive in a lot of things these days to help make sure that the public gets it's proper dose of it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eej posted:

I know of two Canadian cities that have removed fluoride in their water: Vancouver and Kitchener-Waterloo.

Weird, I thought the fluoride in our water was federally regulated and you couldnt just opt out without a drat good reason. Also why does Vancouver always come up in all of these kinds of topics?

I will say the anti-vacc movement doesnt seem to have any kind of set group of people other than the fact that they all seem to be born post-vaccination success so theyve never been exposed to the horrors that some of these diseases have. Its not just the far right or far left, it seems to be picking up steam everywhere. Boy I sure cant wait for the first polio epidemic. A generation of sterile, deformed and crippled children but at least they wont have autism! :downs:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Eej posted:

Calgary did it a few years back, too.

I have no idea what the gently caress is wrong with people in this city.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Jesus gently caress this is actually going to become a thing. This is why democracies can't have nice things.

dude its the republican primary. just do what the rest of this stupid forum does: pick out a liquor, figure out a drinking game, settle down in a comfy chair, and enjoy the showdevelop cirrhosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

One of the main antifluoride groups, the FAN, who I linked a bit ago, have become really sophisticated at targeting city governments. They're very good at making politicians feel like combating them would result in a lost election.

• Locked thread