Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

katlington posted:

The Christie in that article sounds like wannabe starfucker.

Fiscal responsibility.

Also I knew he was fat but I didn't realise he was this fat.

Him being fat is probably related to these travel costs. If you're his size you probably can't really be that comfortable in the back of a normal cab, in coach on a plane, or in a budget hotel room. Not really defensible to waste that kind of taxpayer money on travel/room expenses, but I don't think it's necessarily because he's some prima donna. It's not like he has a rider that requests certain colors of M&M's be removed from his candy dishes.*

*He would never have a rider that requested the removal of candy, let's be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ErIog posted:

Him being fat is probably related to these travel costs. If you're his size you probably can't really be that comfortable in the back of a normal cab, in coach on a plane, or in a budget hotel room. Not really defensible to waste that kind of taxpayer money on travel/room expenses, but I don't think it's necessarily because he's some prima donna. It's not like he has a rider that requests certain colors of M&M's be removed from his candy dishes.*

*He would never have a rider that requested the removal of candy, let's be real.

Unless the alternatives to the Four Seasons had doors so small that he couldn't fit through them that sounds like crap. He stayed at these places because of the restaurants.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

ErIog posted:

Him being fat is probably related to these travel costs.

Pegged Lamb posted:

that sounds like crap. He stayed at these places because of the restaurants.

Pegged Lamb posted:

He stayed at these places because of the restaurants.

Pegged Lamb posted:

because of the restaurants.

Pegged Lamb posted:

restaurants.

Pegged Lamb posted:

kill you're parents

ErIog posted:

Him being fat is probably related to these travel costs.

Oh really?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I was under the impression that that story about removing certain color M&Ms had to with making sure that the people the (at least I think it was a) band hired had read the contract in detail, because people could die without that attention to detail.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I was under the impression that that story about removing certain color M&Ms had to with making sure that the people the (at least I think it was a) band hired had read the contract in detail, because people could die without that attention to detail.

Yes it was van halen that did this as a result of too many gigs where stadiums couldn't meet the needs of their stage setup. In one case some idiot had them play on a stadium's basketball court and the stage sunk into the wood.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ErIog posted:

Oh really?

You think he needs to be in waddling distance of an upscale hotel restaurant to be comfortable?
Christie probably has enough fat on him that he could never eat again and still have the chemical energy to last for the rest of his life.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pegged Lamb posted:

Christie probably has enough fat on him that he could never eat again and still have the chemical energy to last for the rest of his life.

Technically, that applies to all of us.

The duration might just be different.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A man weighing 455 pounds once went a year without food under careful medical supervision, and lost 275 pounds in the process. Christie's top weight was reportedly about 350 pounds.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

There's so many reasons to hate the guy, why does everyone keep coming back to "haw haw, he's fat" like this? It's really kinda pathetic. Especially since the average goon is probably a bit overweight, so there's this whole extra level of self-loathing going on.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Duckbag posted:

There's so many reasons to hate the guy, why does everyone keep coming back to "haw haw, he's fat" like this? It's really kinda pathetic. Especially since the average goon is probably a bit overweight, so there's this whole extra level of self-loathing going on.

I was completely serious about his weight affecting his travel expenses, but then I made a dumb joke, and people rolled with it. I shall say 5 Hail Chickens as pennance for the derail.

I agree with you that focusing on his weight is dumb, but big dudes can require 2 seats and stuff on planes. It can get uncomfortable real fast.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ErIog posted:

I was completely serious about his weight affecting his travel expenses, but then I made a dumb joke, and people rolled with it. I shall say 5 Hail Chickens as pennance for the derail.

I agree with you that focusing on his weight is dumb, but big dudes can require 2 seats and stuff on planes. It can get uncomfortable real fast.
I'm pretty huge and I've never had to get multiple seats on a plane or nothing. but I'd be a better governor than Christie (so would a yellow dog, to be fair).

As for the Taliban thing: ISIL, apparently, is actually entirely on board with vaccination programs.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Duckbag posted:

:colbert: I am not overweight in the least, and never have been. (Having a super-fast metabolism loving rules.)

Semi-serious answer: I think part of it is because Cristie is flat-out obese in a really visible way. He's not just 10-20 pounds overweight, or even 30-40 pounds overweight, the dude got up to 350 pounds at his peak, which is at least 150 pounds more than a healthy (non-body builder) person should weigh.

katlington posted:

Also I knew he was fat but I didn't realize he was this fat.

I'm not saying it's necessarily right to judge him on his weight, (and he has slimmed down some), but it's always a really visible thing. I mean, one of the first things you notice in this picture (besides Cristie's eye-searing tie) is his size compared to everyone around him. Luckily for Cristie, his weight will no longer matter now, because going anti-vaxx will means that he now has a roughly 0% chance of getting the nomination, and he's going to be dropped like a hot potato for another Establishment guy (namely Jeb Bush).

Nessus posted:

As for the Taliban thing: ISIL, apparently, is actually entirely on board with vaccination programs.
Chris Cristie and anti-vaxxers: literally worse than ISIL at least with regard to vaccinations.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 3, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I signed an executive order that was just the words "PLY ME WITH WINGS" written in Sharpie.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Sorry if the fat thing sounded like a personal attack against anyone. I don't think anyone was really trying to be a dick, it's just I've seen this pattern over and over again when people are talking about Christie (and other famously fat people like Michael Moore) and the whole discussion tends to get very uncomfortable very quickly. I can't count the number of times I've seen insulting a guy who is fat turn into insulting a guy for being fat turn into insulting all guys who are fat. I'm not particularly fat myself (though I could definitely stand to lose ten or fifteen pounds), but I've got a close friend who's obese and have seen a terrifying amount of hate and judgement directed at him based solely on his appearance. I'm not trying to accuse any of you of malice, but this seems to be one issue where crass jokes turn into hateful slurs really quickly and I'd rather not see that happen again.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Meet the Oregonian couple who own jebbushforpresident.com.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010

Duckbag posted:

Chris Christie is overweight to the point that it would raise concerns about his health for an average person, nevermind someone who is running for the most stressful job on the planet.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I believe the official GOP line is that children aren't the property of their parents, but their tenants.

This reminds me of good old 2008 primary where Ron Paul talked about how people who couldn't afford healthcare could pay their bills by signing a contract of indentured servitude.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

knife super power posted:

Chris Christie is overweight to the point that it would raise concerns about his health for an average person, nevermind someone who is running for the most stressful job on the planet.

That's pretty much it. Remember Romney was hospitalized for exhaustion in August 2012. Despite his age he's in perfect health with a resting heart rate of 40bpm, and it finally caught up to him. Christie is in no condition physically (or mentally really) to run for president, let alone serve.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't understand why conservatives would be anti-vaccine. If anything they should be pro-vaccine with extra boosters for everyone since autism is how mises.org keeps their lights on.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I can't understand why conservatives would be anti-vaccine. If anything they should be pro-vaccine with extra boosters for everyone since autism is how mises.org keeps their lights on.

IIRC, Rick Perry changed positions to pro-vaccines once the check from big Pharma cleared. So they can be persuaded.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheBalor posted:

I love that. Don't worry, citizens, I declared that my actions are totally in line with the law!

Well, when the Governor does it, that means it's not illegal.

FAUXTON posted:

There's a religious exemption from a government mandate, which is based on science, that the scary Muslim in the White House supports. You're a tax cut and a couple barrels of crude away from Republican Nirvana.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Vaccinations unfairly help the parasites of society, like children under work age, and pensioners after work age.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

knife super power posted:

Also, shouldn't religious conservatives be against him because of the whole gluttony being a deadly sin thing?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr.48 posted:

Also, shouldn't religious conservatives be against him because of the whole gluttony being a deadly sin thing?

Have you seen your average religious conservative in America?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mr.48 posted:

Just like consevative Christians refuse to vote for people who had sex out of wedlock or worked on Sundays or have ever used the lord's name in vain or told a lie.

Gluttony is so far down the list of sins it doesn't even factor outside of lol fat.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Are there any Seven Deadly Sins conservatives aren't doing on a literal daily basis? Greed and pride seem to have been turned into virtues in the movement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is probably going to be considered domain squatting in pretty short order, but it's going to be pretty funny while it lasts.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

katlington posted:

Wtf why the king of jordan?

He's such a big fan of Star Trek, maybe this is to get the Star Trek Experience relaunched in Atlantic City.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mlmp08 posted:

Just like consevative Christians refuse to vote for people who had sex out of wedlock or worked on Sundays or have ever used the lord's name in vain or told a lie.

Gluttony is so far down the list of sins it doesn't even factor outside of lol fat.

Modern conservative christianity has become one big The only just [sin/hypocracy/unholy afront to the words of Jesus himself] is my [sin/hypocracy/unholy afront to the words of Jesus himself]. Which is of course secondary only to the most important of God's commandments, the commandment to tithe.

Remember, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God and it is only through Christ that we are redeemed of our sin. Which is why it's so important that we start stoning all those sons of bitches that we deem in moral failing.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

This is probably going to be considered domain squatting in pretty short order, but it's going to be pretty funny while it lasts.

Just wiki'd this out of curiosity but the law it references seems pretty clear you have to be in it to make money, and these two cool dudes don't look like they are trying to profit off the site. Is there some other way to get the domain?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

IIRC, Rick Perry changed positions to pro-vaccines once the check from big Pharma cleared. So they can be persuaded.

Rick Perry's wife was a nurse and health educator before she became a full time political wife. Perry's always been pro-vax. Big Pharma's check just made him make it policy.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Are there any Seven Deadly Sins conservatives aren't doing on a literal daily basis? Greed and pride seem to have been turned into virtues in the movement.

Touche.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

NY Times posted:

There is evidence that vaccinations have become more of a political issue in recent years. Pew Research Center polls show that in 2009, 71 percent of both Republicans and Democrats favored requiring the vaccination of children. Five years later, Democratic support had grown to 76 percent, but Republican support had fallen to 65 percent.

I am honestly having a hard time processing this, is the Republican party honestly walking towards being anti-vacination? This can not be a real thing that is happening can it? I'm having a slow stroke, right?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Three Olives posted:

I am honestly having a hard time processing this, is the Republican party honestly walking towards being anti-vacination? This can not be a real thing that is happening can it? I'm having a slow stroke, right?

government bad, oppose at all costs

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

You wish you were having a stroke. You having a stroke won't give thousands of people measles.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Nope, republicans are just getting even more right-wing (ie dumber).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Apparently yes, this is a thing, because the GOP leadership and its media outlets have irresponsibly and relentlessly pushed the "Obama for it I'm agin it, GOVERNMENT BAD" line during the entirety of the Obama presidency.

This has real effects on people's views.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Three Olives posted:

I hope in the last hundred days Barack and/or Michelle come out in favor of regular bathing, chewing with your mouth closed and breathing through your nostrils

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Jeb is winning the invisible primary. Bush v. Clinton, here we come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mr.48 posted:

Not that it matters in the slightest but the seven deadly sins are more of a Catholic thing

• Locked thread