Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Midnight City posted:

At that point he'll just stop and wink at the camera because 90% of the show watchers still haven't figured out that was Jorah's dad.

Way to remind me that they cut Jeor's final moments with Sam. drat, that was such a good scene in the books. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Jorghnassen posted:

Nobody has mentioned yet that some troll updated Michelle Fairley's IMDB page with a new Game of Thrones credit on episode 5.10?

That's an excellent troll.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Yeah, decapitations from hanging weren't that uncommon with just a 10' drop. Hangmen had a formula they used based on body weight to know how long to make the drop so that it broke the neck but didn't tear the head off, and still it happened sometimes. Slynt would have lost his head for sure after a 100' drop.

Reminds me of that story from a few years back where they found a severed head in a plastic bag hanging from the side of a bridge. Everyone was all :wtf: but they determined that the guy put the bag over his head, tied the noose around his neck, and jumped. The fall was so great that it ripped his head off but the noose closed around the bag while the rest of his body fell into the water.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

BlindSite posted:

Which is you know, what grrm changed it. It's also pretty baller how Stannis watches it happen and nods in agreement to Jon doing so.

The Stannis and Jon exhcnages are some of the best in the books. Stannis is cracking jokes on the regular and it's awesome.

I always had the feeling that Stannis respected Jon's commitment to the job, at least until he bugs off and abandons his post.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Yeah, decapitations from hanging weren't that uncommon with just a 10' drop. Hangmen had a formula they used based on body weight to know how long to make the drop so that it broke the neck but didn't tear the head off, and still it happened sometimes. Slynt would have lost his head for sure after a 100' drop.

Hanging with the intend to break the neck was a fairly modern alteration. For much of history the intent was a long drawn out strangling.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

BlindSite posted:

Which is you know, what grrm changed it. It's also pretty baller how Stannis watches it happen and nods in agreement to Jon doing so.

I think GRRM got a little meta there and referred to that earlier draft in Jon's thoughts, where his first impulse is to hang him, thinks "This isn't right" and then cuts his head off. Maybe GRRM realized a hanging from a 100 foot rope would be a bit too much even for Jon, and that he would probably do the deed himself like Ned.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So here's the HQ version of the trailer finally on YouTube if anyone hadn't seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wViILXQfX7Y

:spergin: ENSUES

Here's what I can spot:

0:00 Tywin lying in the sept
0:04 Looks like an Arryn convoy, so probably Littlefinger and Sansa heading somewhere
0:10 Night's Watch men approaching Hardhome
0:12 Bronn pulling out his sword with a spear pointed at him, Jaime nearby. Must be after their confrontation with the Dornish.
0:13 Brazen Beasts, I think.
0:14 Littlefinger creeping
0:15 Some guy buried up to his neck in sand, a couple of scorpions around him, two of the Sand Snakes (one of whom whips a bucket off his head), Ellaria and Trystane. Must be a new scene. Looks hilarious.
0:17 Dorne/Water Gardens I'm guessing
0:20 Wildlings evacuating
0:22 Young Cersei cutting her thumb for the Maggy the Frog scene
0:24 Margaery/Tommen wedding
0:26 Rattleshirt is back! Probably not for long!
0:28 Varys/Tyrion convo
0:32 Some kind of ritual at the Wall involving Melisandre. Possibly burning "Mance"? Not sure if that whole switcheroo will be included or not, but Rattleshirt being back suggests something.
0:35 Volantis, maybe?
0:44 This is probably the Maggy the Frog flashback too
0:46 Wildlings knocking at the door of Castle Black. I'm guessing this might be a group that tells them what's going on at Hardhome.
0:50 Jorah fighting in the arena. This is obviously a change. I suspect most of the intrigue about the mercenary groups and stuff is going to hit the cutting room floor. I kind of wonder if Jorah is even going to meet up with Tyrion or not.
0:53 The scene with Myrcella's locket in the viper's mouth
0:56 Here it looks like Melisandre is just burning a corpse on a pyre, which looks different from the one at 0:32. Different scene entirely? Dunno whose body it might be.
1:02: Wildlings charging some other group of guys dressed in black. They don't look like Night's Watch men though. Not sure what's going on here actually, I don't see any sign of wights or White Walkers who you would assume would be the threat if they are in fact doing a scene at Hardhome.
1:03 Jaime in Dorne with Areo Hotah behind him.
1:04 Not sure who this girl is, looking at casting photos it might be Tyene Sand? Or maybe just a random hot girl.
1:06 This line from Olenna is interesting because I'm not sure if she's threatening someone, or maybe warning Margaery or Loras.
1:07 Some quick cuts of fighting which include Jon and I think Jaime fighting a Dornishman.
1:09 A murdered Brazen Beast
1:10 Theon, presumably in Winterfell.
1:10 Bronn cutting down a Dornish horseman
1:13 Sparrows raising a ruckus in King's Landing. Still not 100% sure but I think the voiceover might be Pryce as the High Sparrow.
1:15 Arya at the House of Black and White/in Braavos.
1:25 Another shot of Arryn men
1:27 Bolton military planning
1:29 Tyrion/Varys
1:34 I'm guessing this has to be Drogon, but I'm not sure where he is.
1:35 More wildlings evacuating
1:36 Missandei kissing Grey Worm
1:37 This looks like some kind of small-scale fight/gladiatorial demo. You can spot Dany really briefly in the background.
1:38 Melisandre :quagmire:
1:39 Dany, Barristan, Grey Worm, Daario, Unsullied
1:39 Another shot of Jaime and Bronn in Dorne I think.
1:40 I think this is either Ellaria or Obara Sand with a bunch of spears pointed at her. Not sure what this is about. I wonder if they're keeping some of Arianne's coup plotline in there?
1:40 Someone's hand shaking... maybe Theon?
1:41 A bald Wildling holding an axe. Something in the foreground but I can't tell what it is. Maybe a wight?
1:41 A really quick shot but this looks like Brienne and Pod tearing into the Inn at the Crossroads. Only time they show up in the trailer.
1:42 This looks like guys with gold masks killing Unsullied. I assumed the guys with the gold masks were Brazen Beasts, but maybe they're sons of the Harpy? Or there could be some kind of double-cross that happens?
1:43 Margaery being naked, hugging Tommen, looking sneaky
1:44 Dany in the arena, protected by unsullied, surrounded by the gold mask guys. So maybe they're just the sons of the Harpy.
1:46 Harpy statue getting torn down.

Comments:
* it looks like the Meereen storyline is going to follow the broad strokes of ADwD up to the pit fight. Maybe some minor tweaks (in particular it looks like the Sons of the Harpy stage a coup during the gladiatorial combats?) and a lot of streamlining but I don't expect any huge departures.
* I have no idea what to expect from the Dorne storyline, at all.
* I'm a little confused by the "Hardhome" scene mostly because of the shot at 1:02 which seems to show two human armies colliding. But in broad strokes it looks to me like the first few eps will have stuff going on at the Wall with Stannis and Melisandre, then Jon heads off to save some Wildlings and probably pisses some people off in the process. Not sure if he'll get stabbed at the end of the season or not.
* Speaking of Stannis, I don't see any indication that his winter campaign is included in this season. There's the one shot of the Boltons doing some strategic planning, but that's it. I suspect they're saving it for next season and we might only get a couple of quick check-ins on Theon, Ramsey and Roose.
* Very little for Sansa and Brienne to do this season, I suspect.
* Didn't see Sam at all. I wonder if he and Gilly are still going to Braavos? No Bran either but that was expected.
* King's Landing again I think is going to mostly follow the broad strokes of AFFC and ADWD. Interested to see if Olenna has much of a role outside of that one line.

Best guess for where they'll be by the end of the season:
* Dany flies off on Drogon. BUT WILL THERE BE making GBS threads?
* Tyrion: not sure, the trailer didn't really give any indication beyond what looks like Volantis.
* Cersei does the walk of shame in KL. Margaery arrested midway through the season, the Tyrells try to deal with it.
* Jon rescues the Wildlings from Hardhome and returns to a very divided Night's Watch. I think Stannis might stay there until that point. I'm leaning towards no stabbing until next season.
* Theon/Roose/Ramsey are holed up in Winterfell, I suspect there might just be a few cursory check-ins this season and then we'll get to the meat of that story next season.
* Sansa/Littlefinger: no idea. Don't even remember where they're headed, to be honest.
* Arya: probably the point where she goes blind. Looking forward to seeing Jaqen again.
* Brienne/Pod: no idea. I did see them at the inn so maybe Brienne fights someone, but with Locke/Rorge/Biter all gone I'm not sure who. Maybe the Brotherhood?
* Dorne: :iiam:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I suspect Jon is getting stabbed for two reasons, mainly the second one:
1. They set up the resurrection thing with BwB
2. They foreshadowed Shireen getting killed by Melisandre

However they didn't do Lady Stoneheart which is evidence against the hypothesis.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In the gladiator scene it looks likes Jorah is fighting Grey Worm.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

colonel_korn posted:

* Tyrion: not sure, the trailer didn't really give any indication beyond what looks like Volantis.

We know from set photos that Tyrion is gonna meet Dany this season, and is hangin' out with her while they watch the Daznak fights.

I don't know how they would climax Jon's storyline without the stabbing.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 3, 2015

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
So is Bronn going to get killed by Areo instead of that random Kingsguard guy?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The North Tower posted:

I always had the feeling that Stannis respected Jon's commitment to the job, at least until he bugs off and abandons his post.

I always felt that if Jon had of taken his offer Stannis would've lost respect for him even if he proved himself worthy in battle etc, he didn't like Jon's choice but he definitely respected him as man.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

frozenpeas posted:

If Bronn dies I will burn the world to ash.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

frozenpeas posted:

As much as I'd hate to see Bronn go this would loving owwwwwn.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I will be pretty sad if Bronn dies without Cersei's attempts to kill him but hilariously failing.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

frozenpeas posted:

Ha, this'd be great. I was thinking the Snakes, but you're right, this'd be awesome.

colonel_korn posted:

Best guess for where they'll be by the end of the season:
* Dany flies off on Drogon. BUT WILL THERE BE making GBS threads?
* Cersei does the walk of shame in KL. Margaery arrested midway through the season, the Tyrells try to deal with it.
* Jon rescues the Wildlings from Hardhome and returns to a very divided Night's Watch. I think Stannis might stay there until that point. I'm leaning towards no stabbing until next season.
* Theon/Roose/Ramsey are holed up in Winterfell, I suspect there might just be a few cursory check-ins this season and then we'll get to the meat of that story next season.
* Sansa/Littlefinger: no idea. Don't even remember where they're headed, to be honest.
* Arya: probably the point where she goes blind. Looking forward to seeing Jaqen again.
* Brienne/Pod: no idea. I did see them at the inn so maybe Brienne fights someone, but with Locke/Rorge/Biter all gone I'm not sure who. Maybe the Brotherhood?
* Dorne: :iiam:
Tyrion will be in Daznak's, Jon's stabbing has to be this season because Kit cut his hair, there's no reason to delay Theon's escape until the next season, Sansa and Brienne stall, but Sansa at least gets a bitchin' Wuthering Heights cloak to match Littlefinger's; Arya gets to Mercy on Trant, and the Dorne plot seems to involve the Snakes and Ellaria drawing out Jaime with a threat to Myrcella, and then Doran pacifying the situation (leading, I'm assuming, to the Vengeance speech once Jaime has turned his back on Dorne). There are photos of Ellaria with Areo and when she's faced by spears.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
We've had 2 straight seasons of Theon being abused and tortured, I don't think we can go a third without giving him his redemption and the audience some catharsis.

The "Michelle Fairley credits in Season 5 episode 10" troll makes me think of how the show could end on the biggest troll of all time. Its the series finale, season 7, episode 10, the Others have been pushed back, the rightful King/Queen sits on the Iron Throne and the camera tracks a lone Frey walking the blasted countryside. The BWB capture him, hang him and the camera gives you one brief shot of Michelle Fairley's grinning, morbid face. Smashcut to credits. No explanation, no nothing, show-watchers have to just deal with that unexplained cliff hanger forever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna end with a Matrix 3 ending. Jon Snow marries Dany and negotiates a truce with the ice zombies and "Peace is the real summer" with no climactic battle, and everyone's gonna be real pissy about it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

A 100% positive ending to ASOIAF would be just as hilarious as the 100% grim Harry Potter ending that Rowling thought about would've been

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this series ends with Jon and Dany/ Sansa unhappily married, ruling over a cold kingdom where 2/3's of the population has perished from war or winter.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

PresidentBeard posted:

Hanging with the intend to break the neck was a fairly modern alteration. For much of history the intent was a long drawn out strangling.

Everything I know about hanging comes from watching the directors commentary to Braveheart, but according to noted crazyperson Mel Gibson, hanging puts you right out. He's the only person I know of who has actually been hanged, so I'll take his word for it, craziness aside.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Professor Shark posted:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this series ends with Jon and Dany/ Sansa unhappily married, ruling over a cold kingdom where 2/3's of the population has perished from war or winter.

gently caress Dany, gently caress Jon. All hail Queen Sansa and King littlefinger!

Beeez
May 28, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

* it looks like the Meereen storyline is going to follow the broad strokes of ADwD up to the pit fight. Maybe some minor tweaks (in particular it looks like the Sons of the Harpy stage a coup during the gladiatorial combats?) and a lot of streamlining but I don't expect any huge departures.

I think that's going to be the show's equivalent of the poisoned locusts since there's no Strong Belwas. Daenerys will marry Hizdahr and peace will come to Meereen for a while, but then at the reopening day of the fighting pits, she gets attacked by a bunch of masked dudes and is saved by Drogon coming back. The fact that they're wearing masks could I guess still make it a mystery who is trying to kill Daenerys, though I don't remember if the Shavepate is in the show.

Midnight City posted:

A 100% positive ending to ASOIAF would be just as hilarious as the 100% grim Harry Potter ending that Rowling thought about would've been

I've never heard of this, what was that going to be?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Beeez posted:

Some weird poo poo where Harry doesn't kill Voldemort in the end, Voldemort instead gets turned into a statue and Harry does a spell that makes the world forget about him, until 1-200 years later Harry/Ginny's great grandson as a baby loses his poo poo and smashes one of those baby frogs in anger making Harry realize his grandson was going to be the next Voldemort.

Dunno how serious she ever was with using it but a British journalist from The Guardian who was Rowling's friend (until he published it on his blog) said she told it to him.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Beeez posted:

I think that's going to be the show's equivalent of the poisoned locusts since there's no Strong Belwas. Daenerys will marry Hizdahr and peace will come to Meereen for a while, but then at the reopening day of the fighting pits, she gets attacked by a bunch of masked dudes and is saved by Drogon coming back. The fact that they're wearing masks could I guess still make it a mystery who is trying to kill Daenerys, though I don't remember if the Shavepate is in the show.

http://www.gregpalast.com/harry-potter-jo%E2%80%99s-other-ending/#more-4642

Even written out properly it would be terrible and nonsensical.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Wow. I think GRRM would have to try really hard to do an ending that weirdly incongruous.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

In fairness she did manage to go from light hearted kids books to a huge holocaust allegory by the end. I was even older than her target audience at the end of them and even I was like what the gently caress is going on here.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
True enough, but this ending seems incongruous even with itself. The thing with Voldemort's parents would suggest she's saying that even he had a point in his life where he wasn't evil, but then the ending implies Harry's grandson is sure to be the next Dark Lord because he crushes magically animate candy in anger. The decision to have everyone forget Voldemort existed is also baffling to me.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I don't expect the Shavepate/Brazen Beasts to be in the show. I think Sons of the Harpy will be the ones donning the masks, and it'll just be Dany's Unsullied who combat them.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The Sons of the Harpy are NOT cool enough to have those kick rear end masks though. The Beasts in general seem pretty badass and the masks are the most iconic thing about them.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeees! Jonathan Pryce voiceover HYPE!
Does the High Sparrow being acted by such a premier actor confirm the High Sparrow = Howland Reed theory?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

No. It just confirms The High Sparrow is an important character.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

They'd seriously have to have a whole loving season of nothing but flash backs for anything Howland Reed had to say to actually matter to watchers at this point.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A scene of Meera telling Bran how close their fathers were and a flashback to the Tower of Joy would do it, tbh.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jon Snow's a pretty important character!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Midnight City posted:

They'd seriously have to have a whole loving season of nothing but flash backs for anything Howland Reed had to say to actually matter to watchers at this point.

It could still be one of those probably true but irrelevant things, like R+L=J or theon killing his own son.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, what? Theon killing his own son is new to me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vitamin P posted:

It could still be one of those probably true but irrelevant things, like R+L=J or theon killing his own son.

I'd say R+L=J is almost definitely going to play a part in the rest of the story. Frey pie is a better analogy for that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, what? Theon killing his own son is new to me.

One of the miller's son's may actually have been Theon's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Regy Rusty posted:

One of the miller's son's may actually have been Theon's.

The ages really don't add up, the youngest is around Bran's age in the books and Theon arrived when he was around 10/11, about the time Bran was born.

• Locked thread