Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
OK, I've been tinkering around with Gort's savegame... is it a rule now that you're not allowed to usurp any titles in your top-level liege's realm? Because that is the case in this savefile and I was unaware that that was a thing.Anyone know? Crown authority is on low so that isn't the problem. The problem seems to be that, for a count under the King of Italy, he's not allowed to usurp any title in Italy even if he meets the usual requirements and even if the realm is at peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

MildManeredManikin posted:

So killing is hard now? I guess that's a good game design choice.

b-b-b-but there's a guy I want to kill!

Try killing the guy anyway. It's not as hard as it sounds, and the penalties for screwing up aren't all that severe unless you're trying to off a family member. If the target is in your realm, you can pick the Intrigue focus and spy on him until you get the opportunity to arrest him. Once he's in your dungeon, the plot power % against him should increase quite a bit.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Eric the Mauve posted:

OK, I've been tinkering around with Gort's savegame... is it a rule now that you're not allowed to usurp any titles in your top-level liege's realm? Because that is the case in this savefile and I was unaware that that was a thing.Anyone know? Crown authority is on low so that isn't the problem. The problem seems to be that, for a count under the King of Italy, he's not allowed to usurp any title in Italy even if he meets the usual requirements and even if the realm is at peace.

I'm pretty sure that's been a rule either since launch or shortly afterwards.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hmmm... it's been a while but I could have sworn I was able to usurp in-realm once upon a time. Seems like a dumbass rule to me, it's like Paradox is actively trying to discourage you from playing as a vassal. Maybe I'm missing some important mechanical reason why it has to be so, though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hmmm... it's been a while but I could have sworn I was able to usurp in-realm once upon a time. Seems like a dumbass rule to me, it's like Paradox is actively trying to discourage you from playing as a vassal. Maybe I'm missing some important mechanical reason why it has to be so, though.

I remember being able to do this, too. Or at least being pissed that my vassals were usurping duchies out from under me. Like a count with 2/3 counties in a duchy with me holding the other one would be able to usurp my duchy, or something like that.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
You can only usurp within a realm if you have a claim. However in some cases you can plot fabricate a claim on those ie when you have large amounts in a fellow vassals duchy.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Holy poo poo, the No Decadence mod makes Muslims easy as hell. I've conquered half the world and I'm on my first guy. The game is literally stopping me from jihading everybody by saying it's not "The Great Jihad Era" or whatever.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Rumda posted:

You can only usurp within a realm if you have a claim. However in some cases you can plot fabricate a claim on those ie when you have large amounts in a fellow vassals duchy.

I have to keep fabricating claims on my nobles to get back demense that accidentally get handed out at succession time or in the post-war chaos. I got about 200 hours into the game before I started paying attention to the capital and what other places I should hold (like, um, at least one on the water I figured out), mostly for the tech bonuses, but vassals keep scooping them up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Also, I didn't realize before, but there's actually special events added in the Old Gods that, if you're part of the mongol power structure, tell you about the sacking of important cities from the Mongols' point of view. The only trouble is, for some reason, they're all set as hide_from = yes, so you can't actually see them. :confused:

I saw them when I did the Khan of khans.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The only thing that stops you from seeing then is that you might not siege down the required province to win a war.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well. After doing the Saoshyant run on Ironman steam decided not to give me the achievement. I think I'm going to go kick a tree for a while.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dj_clawson posted:

Holy poo poo, the No Decadence mod makes Muslims easy as hell. I've conquered half the world and I'm on my first guy. The game is literally stopping me from jihading everybody by saying it's not "The Great Jihad Era" or whatever.

Well yeah, you're basically playing with a cheat enabled to give your demense an income bonus and your troops a morale bonus. Of course that's gonna make the game easier.

e: wait does the mod give you 0% decadence with associated bonuses or does it just remove the mechanic entirely?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Popegold is amazing.

I have a chaste, zealous, crusader emperor, and he's pulled 6k in gold out of each of the last three Popes. Even with harsh city taxes and cities spammed everywhere, it can more than double my annual income. :stare:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Popegold is amazing.

I have a chaste, zealous, crusader emperor, and he's pulled 6k in gold out of each of the last three Popes. Even with harsh city taxes and cities spammed everywhere, it can more than double my annual income. :stare:

Popegold's got nothing on coptic popegold. I own my pope and his gold. :whatup:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Well yeah, you're basically playing with a cheat enabled to give your demense an income bonus and your troops a morale bonus. Of course that's gonna make the game easier.

e: wait does the mod give you 0% decadence with associated bonuses or does it just remove the mechanic entirely?

It removes the mechanic where you gain decadence. You start out with some, like 25, and all the events to lose decadence are there, so you get down to 0, and the number just doesn't grow. Like I have sons who have the trait "decadent" and if I started playing one of them, I'm not sure what would happen, but the number would not go up.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

dj_clawson posted:

It removes the mechanic where you gain decadence. You start out with some, like 25, and all the events to lose decadence are there, so you get down to 0, and the number just doesn't grow. Like I have sons who have the trait "decadent" and if I started playing one of them, I'm not sure what would happen, but the number would not go up.

gonna be honest with you if you keep your sons from marrying Decadence is extremely easy to keep at 0% forever and ever, mod or not. Don't really see the point :confused:

Keep the family tree trimmed and nothing will go wrong

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

DrSunshine posted:

I have to make this mod now...

If you need any support what so ever, let me know.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
As already stated: keeping decadence low is trivially easy as is, and muslims are broken good.

E: just keep putting lovely family members in the slammer and you won't have problems ever.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 3, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Merchant Republics --> Guerilla Unions, that's the first thing that came to my mind somehow

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

As already stated: keeping decadence low is trivially easy as is, and muslims are broken good.

E: just keep putting lovely family members in the slammer and you won't have problems ever.

it costs 100 piety to ask them to straighten up. and i'm pretty sure if you ask them to straighten up and they do, 6 months later, they'll become decadent again and you have to ask them to straighten up again. piety doesn't come quick unless you're in a position to be holy warring people.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I dont know about that. I havent tried muslims since CM, but Ive read a few pagers back that they changed it again on the latest patch and now is more obnoxious than ever.

About going feudal from tribal: what am I supposed to do about vassals that remained tribal? They will also became feudal with time? Should I help then upgrade their castle?

I went feudal because I was sick of elective gavelkind, but I already regret it. As tribal I had almost 2x more troops and I was always swimming in gold. Elective gavelkind is a small price to pay after all.

EDIT: it seems like adventurers were seriously nerfed too. Now they are mostly very easy to deal with, usually a lot less troops than the total of my levies. Im kinda afraid of saying this, cause paradox love to spoil our fun and exploits, but now I actually cheer whenever a new one targets me, because after I very easily smash him I can banish the fucker for around 500g. That became an important source of income on my current game.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 3, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know about that. I havent tried muslims since CM, but Ive read a few pagers back that they changed it again on the latest patch and now is more obnoxious than ever.

About going feudal from tribal: what am I supposed to do about vassals that remained tribal? They will also became tribal with time? Should I help then upgrade their castle?

I went feudal because I was sick of elective gavelkind, but I already regret it. As tribal I had almost 2x more troops and I was always swimming in gold. Elective gavelkind is a small price to pay after all.

Tribal gives you more troops, but over time, you'd become obsolete. Yeah, I'd upgrade their hillforts, but not much more. Make sure you check their tech first and that they have level 1 castle infrastructure. Focus on your personal holdings to boost your levies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

it costs 100 piety to ask them to straighten up. and i'm pretty sure if you ask them to straighten up and they do, 6 months later, they'll become decadent again and you have to ask them to straighten up again. piety doesn't come quick unless you're in a position to be holy warring people.

It mostly depends on their traits. If they have many negative traits, they will very likely go decadent again. You should consider more permanent options, like dueling them, hoping for a free imprisonment because they refuse to straighten up, or plotting to kill them. Others with better traits can still become decadent, but they are less likely to relapse. It's not as easy as it was, but still not too difficult if you play with a small dynasty. Some people are simply unable to do that, and if they have a compulsive habit of landing family members every at every chance, then playing Muslims is simply not for them.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

DrSunshine posted:

I used to devour the poo poo outta those books as a kid. Which one is this? It must be new.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

It mostly depends on their traits. If they have many negative traits, they will very likely go decadent again. You should consider more permanent options, like dueling them, hoping for a free imprisonment because they refuse to straighten up, or plotting to kill them. Others with better traits can still become decadent, but they are less likely to relapse. It's not as easy as it was, but still not too difficult if you play with a small dynasty. Some people are simply unable to do that, and if they have a compulsive habit of landing family members every at every chance, then playing Muslims is simply not for them.

First time I ever played as a Muslim was as a merchant republic, where you just spam kids, and :lol: It's just silly that the best way to deal with a mechanic that's supposed to stop Muslims from being dominant is to become a high level character. It's the dukes and counts and poo poo where you are in trouble.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

First time I ever played as a Muslim was as a merchant republic, where you just spam kids, and :lol: It's just silly that the best way to deal with a mechanic that's supposed to stop Muslims from being dominant is to become a high level character. It's the dukes and counts and poo poo where you are in trouble.

I don't understand the last two sentences? How do you become a high level character? And why are you in trouble with dukes and counts?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

I don't understand the last two sentences? How do you become a high level character? And why are you in trouble with dukes and counts?

Because the best way to defeat decadence is to be able to fight a bunch of holy wars. The two easiest starts to deal with decadence are the Abassid emperor and the Umayyad emperor. If you're a count or a duke, or even a king in some places, there's not a whole lot you can do to get an assload of piety that you need, especially when it costs piety to declare certain wars and change laws.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
High level means king/emperor. So he means it's harder to manage decadence when you're a count/duke.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Volkerball posted:

Because the best way to defeat decadence is to be able to fight a bunch of holy wars. The two easiest starts to deal with decadence are the Abassid emperor and the Umayyad emperor. If you're a count or a duke, or even a king in some places, there's not a whole lot you can do to get an assload of piety that you need, especially when it costs piety to declare certain wars and change laws.

If you have Sons of Abraham, you can trade 300 piety for 300 gold.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

If you are a count or duke, decadent relatives generate much less decadence than the relatives of kings or emperors. If you couple that with the static decadence reductions of things like observing Ramadan, or having events for good traits trigger, then it is indeed manageable. Not to mention that you will likely have a very small dynasty if you are only a count. And in my Umayyad game I did not do any holy wars after conquering Spain and all Mediterranean islands, I instead went after the Abbasids and didn't fight non-Muslims for at least 2 centuries. I was still able to control my decadence.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Someone mentioned the religious flexibility of the Mongols a few pages ago and, coincidentally, came across a reference to religion within the Mongol Empire. There's been a few discussions about this issue and I thought the thread might find it interesting. The quote comes from Marco Polo in reference to Kublai Khan.

Marco Polo posted:

"The Grand Khan, having obtained this signal victory, returned with great pomp and triumph to the capital city of Kanbalu. This took place in the month of November, and he continued to reside there during the months of February and March, in which latter was our festival of Easter. Being aware that this was one of our principal solemnities, he commanded all the Christians to attend him, and to bring with them their book, which contains the four gospels of the evangelists. After causing it to be repeatedly perfumed with incense, in a ceremonious manner, he devoutly kissed it, and directed that the same should be done by all his nobles who were present. This was his usual practice upon each of the principal Christian festivals, such as Easter and Christmas; and he observed the same at the festivals of the Saracens, Jews, and idolaters (Buddhists). Upon being asked his motive for this conduct, he said: "There are four great prophets who are reverenced and worshipped by the different classes of mankind. The Christians regard Jesus Christ as their divinity; the Saracens, Mahomet; the Jews, Moses; and the idolaters, Sogomombar-khan (the Buddha), the most eminent among their idols. I do honor and show respect to all the four, and invoke to my aid whichever among them is in truth supreme in heaven. But from the manner in which his majesty acted towards them, it is evident that he regarded the faith of the Christians as the truest and best..."

Is the founder of the Ilkhanate and Golden Horde given sympathy to Islam, Christianity, and Judaism in-game? It's been a while since I played until the Mongol Invasions and I cannot remember how the religion issue is handled, except that they have an event to convert to away from Tengri after so many years.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 3, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you have Sons of Abraham, you can trade 300 piety for 300 gold.

That's only for Jews as far as I can tell.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I've been away from the game for a while, and noticed today that two new expansions, Charlemagne and Ways of Life, are out.

Since I'm a sucker for extra roleplaying features / events, I grabbed ways of life on impulse. Is it worth to get Charlemagne too, considering I have most of the other expansions including the Old Gods but never played on the earlier starting date since the game is long enough as is?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

dj_clawson posted:

That's only for Jews as far as I can tell.

Nope, its available for muslims too, I used it a lot on my last muslim games. It almost makes SoA a required DLC for playing muslims, because you are always so short on piety, specially mid-game.

Mid-game is actually when is harder to manage decadency, from my experience. You already got a good sized dynasty, and not enough strength to holly war for piety everytime. Early game you got too few kinsman to worry about, and late-game everything is easy and you will be swimming in money and piety anyway.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 3, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TorakFade posted:

I've been away from the game for a while, and noticed today that two new expansions, Charlemagne and Ways of Life, are out.

Since I'm a sucker for extra roleplaying features / events, I grabbed ways of life on impulse. Is it worth to get Charlemagne too, considering I have most of the other expansions including the Old Gods but never played on the earlier starting date since the game is long enough as is?

The main attraction of Charlemagne is an earlier start date and a lot of scripted events unfolding the rise of Charlemagne. If those aren't interesting to you then the only thing you're missing if you skip it is family chronicles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

The main attraction of Charlemagne is an earlier start date and a lot of scripted events unfolding the rise of Charlemagne. If those aren't interesting to you then the only thing you're missing if you skip it is family chronicles.

Which is a seriously underwhelming feature. If you don't intend to play at the CM start date, it's not worth to buy the DLC in my opinion.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks for the input, guess I'll wait for a firesale and grab it if it's like 5 bucks just to have the option.

I was reading about some seasonal changes and viceroys though? I guess since nobody is saying anything about those they're not as awesome as, say, Retinues which are alone worth the purchase price for the relevant DLC (can't remember which one it was)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also the custom titles, which became very important feature to me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot about viceroys, that's another thing that's CM only. I guess I forgot about them because they're so easy to ignore. And custom titles are some kind of bullshit for their costs.

Seasonal changes are in vanilla, they were included with a patch. If you're playing anywhere non-temperate or high elevation then armies will take extreme levels of attrition during the winter months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tengri is a very loose and open religion even by pagan standards. I think one of the main tenets of Tengrism is that there is no one true religion even Tengrism. Which of course makes it pretty compatible with religious tolerance but also leaves it a bit vulnerable to more structured religions that claim that they are the one true answer to all of lives questions.

The Mongols did some horrible stuff but at least they were really open to religious and cultural diversity. Also they sort of created Russia so without them we wouldn't have dashcam videos.

• Locked thread