Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Yessss, another insane GOP presidential primary... I can almost taste the deliciousness of people cheering for poor sick people dying in the streets and Newt calling for child labor to make a comeback (on his moon base).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I love the anti-vaxxer argument of "well drug companies make lots of money on vaccines, can't trust that!!" Yeah no poo poo they do, because they work great. Also I'm pretty sure that Big Pharma could make a shitload more money treating your kids inevitable measles, mumps, rubella, polio, etc then they ever could just selling your kid a couple shots.

Isn't there actually a bunch of competition in that market or something that lowers prices pretty far? When you can get immunity to a disease cheaper than one course of medicine for it would cost, oh no the evil corporations probably isn't really happening there.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I love the anti-vaxxer argument of "well drug companies make lots of money on vaccines, can't trust that!!" Yeah no poo poo they do, because they work great. Also I'm pretty sure that Big Pharma could make a shitload more money treating your kids inevitable measles, mumps, rubella, polio, etc then they ever could just selling your kid a couple shots.
My roommate believes there's a cure for cancer but it's being suppressed by Big Pharma.

Besides the complete ignorance (one cure-all for every type of cancer), I'm pretty sure Big Pharma wouldn't be hiding such a thing and would be happy to sell this cure at an exorbitant price.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

My roommate believes there's a cure for cancer but it's being suppressed by Big Pharma

Is it marginally sublethal doses of vitamin C? Cause that was the one a crazy guy I knew went on about.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EndOfTheWorld posted:

The "Parent's Rights" bit is telling, especially with Rand Paul expressing the libertarian line on the issue - children are the property of their parents and "the state" has no business telling them what life threatening diseases they can't have.

That prompts a question: how do the libertarian antivaxxers reconcile this with the fact that unvaccinated people are a threat to everyone around them? Like, do the antivaxxers go "I have the right to decide what vaccines my kids get" and then the non-antivaxxers go "in that case I have the right to shoot them in self-defence if they get anywhere near my kids" or what?

Sardine Wit posted:

What's with 'erosion' of patents rights? Is needing to vaccinate kids a new thing in the US?

Vaccination is (according to my American friends) ostensibly mandatory, but you can opt your kids out just by saying that it's your "sincerely held belief" that they shouldn't be vaccinated, and there are no repercussions for doing so. There's been some talk about making it actually mandatory, but AFAIK nothing that's even made it to the point of being a draft bill -- just talk.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

A cartoon I can get behind.

Bill Belichick refusing to use his timeouts despite the rapidly-expiring game clock was actually a really risky gamble designed to make Pete Carroll put the ball in the air at some point. If Carroll had run the ball on that play and Marshawn didn't make it in, he would have had to use his final timeout, then pass on third down to allow for a possible fourth-down attempt. Either way, there was going to have to be a pass eventually to avoid having the game-clock run out prematurely. Rather than demonizing Carroll for making the necessary call, we should be praising Belichick's bold time-management stratagem and Malcolm Butler's one-in-a-million defensive play.
:patssay:

(That Carroll in panel 5 was a MASTERFUL bad-guy caricature though)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Vaccination is (according to my American friends) ostensibly mandatory, but you can opt your kids out just by saying that it's your "sincerely held belief" that they shouldn't be vaccinated, and there are no repercussions for doing so. There's been some talk about making it actually mandatory, but AFAIK nothing that's even made it to the point of being a draft bill -- just talk.

Public schools (and probably most private schools) have vaccination standards, but you can always homeschool them (and the kinds of people who buy into anti-vaxxer ideas would probably be inclined that way anyhow.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I thought at least a decent subset of anti-vaxxers were ostensibly-liberal granola types who distrust Big Pharma because it is made up of large powerful corporations? They're not all freepers, is all I'm saying.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

loquacius posted:

I thought at least a decent subset of anti-vaxxers were ostensibly-liberal granola types who distrust Big Pharma because it is made up of large powerful corporations? They're not all freepers, is all I'm saying.

Definitely, but a lot of those people might be inclined to home-school as well.

Or were you responding to the libertarian thing, in which case yeah, I'm sure there are some of both.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ToxicFrog posted:

That prompts a question: how do the libertarian antivaxxers reconcile this with the fact that unvaccinated people are a threat to everyone around them? Like, do the antivaxxers go "I have the right to decide what vaccines my kids get" and then the non-antivaxxers go "in that case I have the right to shoot them in self-defence if they get anywhere near my kids" or what?

Externalities are the bane of any modern libertarian position.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Anti-vaccination is something that seeps into both sides of the political spectrum

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ToxicFrog posted:

Thanks. I just basically put that on my FB wall. Hoping for some fireworks.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
it was, until fairly recently, largely apolitical in it's conspiracy theory bullshit. It'll be interesting to see how the latest brouhaha changes the landscape of it.

Vanir85
Jan 11, 2015

Fulchrum posted:

So Muir is anti-weed.

I think Muir is anti-woman (or at least, anti-FREE-woman), period. The recent "poo poo-test" strip seems to fit a pattern of him getting increasingly misogynistic - and his fans just keep applauding (I see comments saying that women like Skye need to be locked up, tamed, etc).

So yea. Freedom and rights for all; unless the freedom and rights are for women, it seems - these lesser creatures who annoyingly keep thinking they are real people, but who in truth must be domesticated and civilized by real people - aka. the men.

Sorry if this seems rant-y. Got a special hate-on for sexism.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"I'm not sexist, I just..." -Chris Muir, probably

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

alnilam posted:

"I'm not sexist, I just..." -Chris Muir, probably

I think we both know his response would be to attempt to discredit anyone who called him sexist (by calling them liberal) followed by an assertion that as everyone knows the real sexists are liberals

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They actually don't! Vaccines are really expensive to manufacture, and that's the reason there was a shortage of the flu vaccine a few years ago: nobody wanted to make it because the profit margin is so bad. The flu vaccine in particular is extremely labor intensive and relies a lot on luck, and you have to get started on making it months before flu season starts so it can be very risky if you don't convince enough people to get flu shots.

It's just that vaccines are such an obvious public good that if they refused to make then entirely they would look like monsters. There are plenty of things that cost too much and get pushed on people in medical need that you can complain about, but vaccines aren't one of them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The people who pay Chris Muir money are probably the weirdest and saddest webcomic fans in existence, and this is a world where both Megatokyo and Control Alt Delete still exist.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Begemot posted:

They actually don't! Vaccines are really expensive to manufacture, and that's the reason there was a shortage of the flu vaccine a few years ago: nobody wanted to make it because the profit margin is so bad. The flu vaccine in particular is extremely labor intensive and relies a lot on luck, and you have to get started on making it months before flu season starts so it can be very risky if you don't convince enough people to get flu shots.

It's just that vaccines are such an obvious public good that if they refused to make then entirely they would look like monsters. There are plenty of things that cost too much and get pushed on people in medical need that you can complain about, but vaccines aren't one of them.

Are they subsidized by government, do you know? Or do the companies really solely make them for their public face / the goodness of their hearts?

Also, are vaccines typically made by "Big Pharma," or are they made by vaccine-specific companies?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
New Bors:

https://medium.com/the-nib/a-buncha-bologna-65f29b3d727a

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I wish I could get bacon-wrapped shrimp right now. It does sound delicious.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

I never knew people that liked pork and shellfish faced such discrimination. Bless Outback Steakhouse for their bravery.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I see that ham chilling in your shop dude!

You're not Jewish at all! You're just a Christian that hates shrimp :bahgawd:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's also a loving stupid analogy, since a Jewish deli owner could easily sell non-kosher food, the only reason they wouldn't is if they're targeting a specifically Jewish clientele.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm pretty sure there are people that are extremely orthodox and can't work in restaurants or stores that sell non-kosher foods but it's still their right to not work in such a place just like how gay marriage doesn't affect you unless you are getting gay married.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DStecks posted:

It's also a loving stupid analogy, since a Jewish deli owner could easily sell non-kosher food, the only reason they wouldn't is if they're targeting a specifically Jewish clientele.

Also, there isn't any specifically blasphemous ingredient in gay wedding cakes; the problem isn't the product but the customer. It's not like a Jewish deli owner refusing to cook ham because it's against his religion, it's more like a Christian deli owner refusing to sell corned beef to a Jew because his people rejected their lord and savior Jesus Christ.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DStecks posted:

It really goes back to modern evangelicals being just so stupid about other faiths that they legitimately think pork is kryptonite to us and Muslims.

Like, so many Jewish delis I've been in have had pork, ham sandwiches and saussages are loving huge sellers why would they not stock them just because they can't eat them. They'll also put cheese on your roast beef! They are super happy to take your money for things they have no use for.

Radish posted:

I'm pretty sure there are people that are extremely orthodox and can't work in restaurants or stores that sell non-kosher foods but it's still their right to not work in such a place just like how gay marriage doesn't affect you unless you are getting gay married.

Yea pretty much, if you're like, SUPER far end hardcore, like the dudes 99% of Jews snicker about, you have every right to say 'oh no, I don't work around ham, sorry', it's also their less crazy uncle's right to say 'yea cool send that ham my way I'll sell it to the church crowd super easy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mehuyael posted:

I wish I could get bacon-wrapped shrimp right now. It does sound delicious.

lol u gay!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I used to go to a fully Jewish bakery for breakfast last year (before moving). Like Jewish to the point that they had the special sinks with bread for ultra orthadox patrons to wash their hands in (I don't know what they're called or the reasoning behind it so sorry for giving a super bad description). They sold bacon breakfast sandwiches. Asking the owner about it netted me a "Well I can't eat it but you guys buy us out almost every day so yeah, we sell it". I think at best he has to wash his hands after cooking/serving a non-kosher meal before making a kosher one but that was it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Basically Jews have attained "one of the good ones" minority status, meaning that rather than trying to weed us out and undermine us, conservatives just use us as victim figures to advance causes 99% of us disagree with without bothering to understand how our customs actually work

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You got us Huckabee, our secret plan is to force everyone to gay-marry at gunpoint.

Our cover's blown, everyone proceed immediately to phase gamma!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

You got us Huckabee, our secret plan is to force everyone to gay-marry at gunpoint.

Our cover's blown, everyone proceed immediately to phase gamma!

Is that the one where they get force gay-married in their sleep?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know the actual context of that Huckabee quote (and don't care enough to find out) but it seems like it's obviously referring to the bakeries/wedding whatevers that are being sued for refusing service to gay couples, is it not? And not saying that allowing gay marriage is forcing people to get gay married or whatever.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yessss, another insane GOP presidential primary... I can almost taste the deliciousness of people cheering for poor sick people dying in the streets and Newt calling for child labor to make a comeback (on his moon base).

Do these yahoos really think that giving the Bachmanns and Cains of the world a platform to spew nonsense to separate old, scared white people from their money is a good thing? Really?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Garrand posted:

I don't know the actual context of that Huckabee quote (and don't care enough to find out) but it seems like it's obviously referring to the bakeries/wedding whatevers that are being sued for refusing service to gay couples, is it not? And not saying that allowing gay marriage is forcing people to get gay married or whatever.

If it is then it's still stupid.

A Jew has the right to not sell bacon shrimp (gently caress I want some, bacon wrapped scallops rule, I assume shrimps are just as good) because it effects everyone. Black, white, Jew, Christian, nobody gets bacon shrimp from Shlohmo's Super Kosher Deli, he does not stock that product and no one has the right to force him to just for them.

Those bakery examples make wedding cakes, they make them for straight couples all the time, they don't get to discriminate on customers.

Like someone else said it's more like a deli refusing to give a Jew a corned beef because they don't like Jews.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mehuyael posted:

Is that the one where they get force gay-married in their sleep?

No, the one where we posthumously gay-marry people. Aren't you reading the emails?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

No, the one where we posthumously gay-marry people. Aren't you reading the emails?

I'm always kept out of the loop. :(

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
And when you frame the issue around "choice" it is still a load when you simultaneously advocate for the restriction of another group's choice.

Edit: When did this line of thought start popping up? Has it always been around to an extent or did it start popping up when it became apparent that bans on same-sex marriage were dying out?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Garrand posted:

Yeah, He's trying to keep the focus on "economic" side of gay marriage. Saying that it's a bad thing to force businesses (specifically Christian businesses) to do something they don't like.

But as another poster pointed out there is a huge difference between someone refusing to serve a specific ITEM that their faith doesn't allow and refusing to serve a person because their faith doesn't allow them to be something that said customer is.

Like if the Mormons hadn't quickly backtracked their anti-black scriptures we could be having this fight over whether Mormon businesses should be allowed to refuse service to Black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
Guys, call me a homophobe but I think it's wrong to ask Christian bakeries to sell wedding cakes with ground up homosexuality in them.

• Locked thread