Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The question of how to execute state prisoners ought to be a moot point because capital punishment is barbaric and it's a national tragedy that it continues

shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

evilweasel posted:

Once a case is settled the Court no longer has jurisdiction as there is no longer a case or controversy. However the Supreme Court doesn't google things and do things on their own: it's the responsibility of the parties to notify the Supreme Court the issue is now mooted and withdraw the appeal, at which point the Supreme Court will cancel arguments.

Technically, since the lack of a case or controversy deprives the Supreme Court of subject matter jurisdiction, the court does have a responsibility to dismiss the case on its own, even if the parties never bring up the settlement. In practice, of course, you are right. The parties know they have settled before the court knows, and the court will strike the argument as a matter of course once they are informed of the settlement.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

MrNemo posted:

That is a horrifically tortured analogy. I mean I don't think it's wrong, the past perfect is a tense we only use in reference to other events whether explicit or implied, much like a single passage in an act of law, but that is a terrible, terrible way of kicking off an explanation that is probably going to just confuse most people who read it.

Maybe it's a meta-metaphor for the tortured reasoning behind the case in the first place.

Really I'm not sure it's possible for any metaphor to be as dumb as the actual argument.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

yeah, it's a bit of a no true scotsman argument.

The bigger problem is you have some medical associations (anesthesiologists leap to mind) threatening to de-certify anyone who participates in an execution. So are they not participating because it's a true reflection of their ethics, or are they not participating because they want to keep their license?

Medicine, unlike law, is not an adversarial process where Death's interest must be served.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Medicine, unlike law, is not an adversarial process where Death's interest must be served.

Like law and other professions, however, medical practice is bound up in a tension between obligations of the professional to the client, and obligations of the professional and the profession to society. This is actually captured in the first couple paragraphs of the AMA professional ethics code.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 3, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Like law and other professions, however, medical practice is bound up in a tension between obligations of the professional to the client, and obligations of the professional and the profession to society. This is actually captured in the first couple paragraphs of the AMA professional ethics code.

Though I don't think lawyers can go "Screw you guys, I'm creating my own Bar association" like you apparently can with medical boards if your last name is Paul

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MrNemo posted:

That is a horrifically tortured analogy. I mean I don't think it's wrong, the past perfect is a tense we only use in reference to other events whether explicit or implied, much like a single passage in an act of law, but that is a terrible, terrible way of kicking off an explanation that is probably going to just confuse most people who read it.

The Fourth Circuit did it better:

quote:

If I ask for pizza from Pizza Hut for lunch but clarify that I would be fine with a pizza from Domino's, and I then specify that I want ham and pepperoni on my pizza from Pizza Hut, my friend who returns from Domino's with a ham and pepperoni pizza has still complied with a literal construction of my lunch order.

No! Obviously if the pizza comes from Domino's I want a completely bald pizza so everyone will hate it and pressure Pizza Hut to open a chain in our town! A satisfying pizza is the exact opposite of what I asked you to get when I sent you out to pick up lunch, duh!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 4, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VitalSigns posted:

The Fourth Circuit did it better:

No! Obviously if the pizza comes from Domino's I want a completely bald pizza so everyone will hate it and pressure Pizza Hut to open a chain in our town! A satisfying pizza is the exact opposite of what I asked you to get when I sent you out to pick up lunch, duh!

Well, you did specify either Pizza Hut or Dominos, so there was never any danger of you getting a satisfying pizza.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gyges posted:

Well, you did specify either Pizza Hut or Dominos, so there was never any danger of you getting a satisfying pizza.

So what you're saying is, I had the chance to enact real lunch reform but decided to subsidize big corporations instead?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Though I don't think lawyers can go "Screw you guys, I'm creating my own Bar association" like you apparently can with medical boards if your last name is Paul

Apples to oranges. Lawyers can, have, and will continue to create bar associations. It's a broader class of organization than what Paul's ophthalmology board was trying to do.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

Maybe it's a meta-metaphor for the tortured reasoning behind the case in the first place.

Really I'm not sure it's possible for any metaphor to be as dumb as the actual argument.

It's a great metaphor but it was so long by the time I read it I forgot what we were talking about in the first place.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
I found it to be a perfectly functional metaphor, too.

It's the same kind of quibbly bullshit that might be "technically correct", but is patently stupid from the surface all the way down to the lovely core. And yes, I get that "quibbly bullshit" tends to be the point of lawyers, but even they should be groaning in this case.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Join us as we go now to a video in which RBG answers there will be enough women on the Supreme Court when there are nine of them. :allears:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mo_Steel posted:

Join us as we go now to a video in which RBG answers there will be enough women on the Supreme Court when there are nine of them. :allears:

She's been saying that for years, and it's amazing every time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mo_Steel posted:

We make Cheney and Scalia into liches, yet RBG chooses the Gift of Man :(

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
She just spoke here at Michigan yesterday, and we were treated to her descriptions of the new opera about her and Scalia, as well as some wonderful stories about her early career and why she gets really annoyed every time somebody says that Weinberger v. Weisenfeld was about discrimination against men. Highlight quotation of the morning: "I think that most of my dissents will be law someday."

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Bel_Canto posted:

She just spoke here at Michigan yesterday, and we were treated to her descriptions of the new opera about her and Scalia, as well as some wonderful stories about her early career and why she gets really annoyed every time somebody says that Weinberger v. Weisenfeld was about discrimination against men. Highlight quotation of the morning: "I think that most of my dissents will be law someday."

You missed the part where she was asked which dissent she'd like to make law, began coughing, but muttered out "all of them" before recovering. :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Beamed posted:

You missed the part where she was asked which dissent she'd like to make law, began coughing, but muttered out "all of them" before recovering. :allears:
Clone this woman.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Isn't this something Romer v Evans made it very clear you can't do? Am I missing something here?

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/02/arkansas-house-panel-advances-bill-to-ban-lgbt-anti-discrimination-ordinances/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

Isn't this something Romer v Evans made it very clear you can't do? Am I missing something here?

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/02/arkansas-house-panel-advances-bill-to-ban-lgbt-anti-discrimination-ordinances/

The fact that it says you can't go past state law, rather than saying you can't pass an LGBT specific ordinance, is enough to distinguish it. It's a plausible fig leaf, maybe enough of one to save it, though still an uphill fight.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's also a law rather than a constitutional amendment, which is what got Colorado in trouble.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

It's also a law rather than a constitutional amendment, which is what got Colorado in trouble.

I think Romer would still operate to strike down a statutory equivalent to the Colorado amendment; I've never read Romer as turning on being an amendment but rather on the animus and targeting issues.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I'm slightly more horrified by the design of the Arkansas state flag. I think I've been reading too much about vexillology.

Still, that Arkansas law is at least has a fig leaf of unlike the fresh new Brownbacking Kansas is getting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Justice Ginsburg admits why she took a nap during the state of the union:

quote:

"The audience for the most part is awake because they're bobbing up and down all the time. And we sit there, stone faced, the sober judges," Ginsburg said. "But we're not, at least I was not, 100 percent sober."

She explained that the justices have dinner together before the annual speech, which she said Scalia hadn't attended in several years, and that Justice Anthony Kennedy brought along a bottle of California wine that was just too good to resist.

"I vowed this year -- just sparkling water, stay away from the wine -- but in the end the dinner was so delicious it needed wine to accompany it."

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

evilweasel posted:

Justice Ginsburg admits why she took a nap during the state of the union:

How could you not quote the best part:

quote:

“So I got a call when I came home from one of my granddaughters and she said, ‘Bubbe, you were sleeping at the State of the Union!”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And confirmation that Lich Scalia does not sustain itself on food or drink.

Down deep where none may see he feeds.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Abigail Fisher has filed for another Cert Petition :getin:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

Abigail Fisher has filed for another Cert Petition :getin:

:suicide:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on what I'm reading her case kept losing after being remanded to a lower court

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FlamingLiberal posted:

Based on what I'm reading her case kept losing after being remanded to a lower court

I had to go look it up to see what was going on in this case and I wish she would just give it up. 81% of her freshman class was auto accepted from being in the top 10% of their class which is Texas law. One of the things I didn't see is that texas law has an auto accept for high enough ACT and SAT scores. Her GPA was good but not good enough her test scores weren't anything remarkable (1160/1600 on the SAT). She wasn't discriminated against because she's white. She just wasn't good enough.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I'm so torn on Hammond v. US.

It addresses the question of whether certain mandatory minimum sentences violate the 8th amendment, and it directly pits two things I loathe against each other: mandatory minimums (the dumbest idea ever) and Cliven Bundy antifederalist assholes. In this case, the idiots intentionally burned down a big swath of federal land to hide the evidence of their illegal dear hunt, and the judge gave them 3 months and 1 year (respectively) instead of the minimum 5 because he thought the statute was meant for "burn[ed] sagebrush in the suburbs of Los Angeles where there are houses up those ravines” and didn't apply "[o]ut in the wilderness here."

OK fine I hate mandatory minimums significantly more but still

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Forever_Peace posted:

I'm so torn on Hammond v. US.

It addresses the question of whether certain mandatory minimum sentences violate the 8th amendment, and it directly pits two things I loathe against each other: mandatory minimums (the dumbest idea ever) and Cliven Bundy antifederalist assholes. In this case, the idiots intentionally burned down a big swath of federal land to hide the evidence of their illegal dear hunt, and the judge gave them 3 months and 1 year (respectively) instead of the minimum 5 because he thought the statute was meant for "burn[ed] sagebrush in the suburbs of Los Angeles where there are houses up those ravines” and didn't apply "[o]ut in the wilderness here."

OK fine I hate mandatory minimums significantly more but still

It might not be a fit fact pattern to overturn the practice.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

It might not be a fit fact pattern to overturn the practice.

Could you tell me more? For the broadest possible ruling (overturn the practice on 8th grounds), isn't the only prerequisite a sentence where SCOTUS thinks the mandatory minimum is cruel and unusual? Or is your concern about the second question relating to the plea bargain?

Haven't read the original ruling yet, but it seems like the judge was going for the narrow ruling that his jurisdiction was too rural for federal laws (lol), which seems to provide a pretty trivial path for SCOTUS to rule on the second question before telling Judge Podunk to go gently caress himself.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Is there any precedent that the eighth amendment forbids grossly disproportionate sentencing? The Ninth Circuit appears to have several cases backing terrible sentences, and while I think basically all sentencing regarding drug possession is grossly disproportionate, I wouldn't argue they are unconstitutional because of the eighth amendment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

Is there any precedent that the eighth amendment forbids grossly disproportionate sentencing? The Ninth Circuit appears to have several cases backing terrible sentences, and while I think basically all sentencing regarding drug possession is grossly disproportionate, I wouldn't argue they are unconstitutional because of the eighth amendment.

Yes, but it's very rarely successfully invoked. The government's brief in opposition says the only time it's been successfully invoked for less than life without parole before the Supreme Court was a 15 years hard labor, with a minimum of 12 with shackles, for falsifying official documents.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Forever_Peace posted:

Could you tell me more? For the broadest possible ruling (overturn the practice on 8th grounds), isn't the only prerequisite a sentence where SCOTUS thinks the mandatory minimum is cruel and unusual? Or is your concern about the second question relating to the plea bargain?

Haven't read the original ruling yet, but it seems like the judge was going for the narrow ruling that his jurisdiction was too rural for federal laws (lol), which seems to provide a pretty trivial path for SCOTUS to rule on the second question before telling Judge Podunk to go gently caress himself.

Sorry, I don't mean legally, but practically. The case facts don't make for especially appealing dicta in a SCOTUS decision that would overrule existing mandatory minimum practices. Who is representing Jed Clampett?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, I don't mean legally, but practically. The case facts don't make for especially appealing dicta in a SCOTUS decision that would overrule existing mandatory minimum practices. Who is representing Jed Clampett?

Firm called Ransom Blackman LLP from Portland.

Out of curiosity, what are the chances this current court would ever overturn mandatory minimums on Equal Protection grounds? (e.g. where systemic biases in the criminal justice system impose an unconstitutional burden on minority citizens)? If it's going, does it have to be 8th?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Forever_Peace posted:

Firm called Ransom Blackman LLP from Portland.

Out of curiosity, what are the chances this current court would ever overturn mandatory minimums on Equal Protection grounds? (e.g. where systemic biases in the criminal justice system impose an unconstitutional burden on minority citizens)? If it's going, does it have to be 8th?
The petition poses two questions:

quote:

The first question presented is: Under what circumstances does the Eighth Amendment authorize a district court to impose a sentence less than the statutory mandatory minimum?
The second question presented is: Does a criminal defendant’s waiver of appeal rights made in an agreement to resolve a case also prohibit an appeal by the government?
Obviously SCOTUS can do whatever they want, but the petition is specifically about the eighth amendment. Also there is a circuit split on the second question.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The second question's kinda interesting and at a minimum warrants a response (hopefully "jeez, no, are you crazy?!"). The first... I mean, it's a really weird fact pattern to overturn mandatory minimums, and there are a thousand and one ways to avoid it.

From the scotusblog discussion of Hammond as "petition of the day":

quote:

We generally do not attempt to evaluate whether the case presents an appropriate vehicle to decide the question, which is a critical consideration in determining whether certiorari will be granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

twodot posted:

The petition poses two questions:

Obviously SCOTUS can do whatever they want, but the petition is specifically about the eighth amendment. Also there is a circuit split on the second question.

Right, as I said a few posts up I'm expecting SCOTUS to focus on the second question with a real proceeding and the first question with a unanimous "gently caress you" to the district judge who thinks he lives in the wild wild west.

My question is more general - with the present composition of the court, which challenge to mandatory minimums looks stronger right now: 8th amendment grounds or Equal Protection grounds? I'm asking because I'm not a lawyer and don't know the case history of either, but this particular case got me wondering what it WOULD take to end mandatory minimums.