Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

goatface posted:

No, the last paragraph says that a creature can use its action to inspect you and make an Int (investigation) check to see through it. They don't have to touch you, just notice that something about you is off. Touching just makes that easier.

Probably.

It says two things. One is that the spell doesn't hold up to physical inspection, the other is that creatures can detect it with an Investigation check. The one follows the other, leading the reader to believe that the check must be a physical check made by the creature, or based on evidence the creature sees, like a hat-falcon interaction. There is no actual grammatical reason for that to be the case though. Nothing stops a creature from using every action it has to determine that things near it are actually what they appear to be. That's the plot of "They Live".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just check passive perception for guards and such people to notice something's off and investigate more closely. Stick it at 15 as well, adjusted for how they're acting, good guards and scouts should be able to hit that. The spell isn't meant to be perfect, so they should be being careful about where and how they use it.

If they're not, gently caress them up.

It's a terribly written spell, but most of them are.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Yeah dude we have argued this back and forth now. I tried to point out you came across as offish and unhelpful, and you've responded to that with being offish. I've explained a number of pretty realistic, non-gotcha scenarios where the disguise spell won't work as you're describing but you're increasingly saying I've said things I've never said.

So let's just call it we agree to disagree and get back to more important topics like who would win between an army of skeleton elephant and female wizards each pregnant with a sacrificial fetus.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

ActusRhesus posted:

autocorrect does not merge with grammar check. sue me.

but way to focus on one incorrect word rather than the point. Which is it is not "changing the rules" to give your NPCs tools that are explicitly allowed for in the rules.

And the guards just took a level of caster. Why not? Everyone else has to.

You'll note I addressed that part in the second part of my post, where I said this: "Aside from that, detecting magic in a world crazy-full of magic would only marginally help you identify who has disguise self cast on them. Also note that the default D&D setting does not assume easy access to even the most common of magic items."

Ignoring the fact that this is a laughable solution (yes, let's carry 24 scrolls of detect magic for every 4-hour shift), yes, it is a valid one. It's not particularly difficult to find ways to gently caress over a 1st level spell that has significant drawbacks. Are you not getting that it's a pretty poo poo system when you have to do this much work to make disguise self strictly worse than a rogue using the disguise skill?

Edit: unrelated, but I find it funny that detect magic doesn't let you detect a creature that has invisibility cast on it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ActusRhesus posted:

but way to focus on one incorrect word rather than the point. Which is it is not "changing the rules" to give your NPCs tools that are explicitly allowed for in the rules.

I'm not home to check for sure but i would wager because keeping even a minor garrison stocked with enough detect magic scrolls for this plan would bankrupt a country in a week or so. If they all have a caster level then they could do it, but they would have to set up a guard rotation to deal with all the ritual casting. Basically, take the amount of normal guards and double it and then spend the money to train them all at being a level 1 caster.

All this work just to thwart a first level spell and really anger a player. Pro dming. Good game design.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Here, I'll quote myself for you. That way you can see past the one part where I was insulting you to the answer you were asking about :

Note that there is a viable difference between rewriting the rules and adding new rules of your own. If your world is all magic paranoia, that's fine, logical, and interesting. It isn't the default D&D setting though. You can tell because the text for Disguise Self doesn't say "This spell rarely works on palace guards, who are constantly chain-huffing from a big garbage bag of Detect Magic scrolls."

So the answer you want is "It's not changing the rules. It's adding new rules not found in the original book." Effectively, if you find yourself starting a sentence, especially an argument sentence with anything from a list of:

1. In our games
2. A smart DM will
3. The way I do it
4. Logically, that means
5. And the guards just

You're talking about added rules. I think there's room in this forum for houserule discussion. Lord knows the information in the books is mighty thin on the ground. But it's best phrased as requests for houserules or discussions of houserules, because this isn't a Rabbinical council and arguing over correct literal interpretation of the sacred 5e texts is pointless. Your very original question is probably best answered by a houserule, since the books won't provide what you want, regardless of how hard you shake them.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The best thing to come from the last three pages is the idea of a society so paranoid of magical disguise, that they have created an elaborate greeting ritual whereby you knock the other persons hat off in welcoming.

"Welcome to the castle...", *knocks fedora to the ground*, "Sir Whiteby."

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ocrumsprug posted:

The best thing to come from the last three pages is the idea of a society so paranoid of magical disguise, that they have created an elaborate greeting ritual whereby you knock the other persons hat off in welcoming.

Here's the thing: if you aren't constantly checking for disguises, you never know if that visiting noble and his retinue aren't actually a wizard with a skeleton army.

It's all connected.:tinfoil:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

Oh man with a whole new subclass of serfs, the "hat retrieval peasant." And haberdashers advertising of how their wares are especially resistant to "the wear and tear of being constantly dashed to the ground by zealous garden party guards."

Also every chamber in the palace is just wall to wall chandeliers terminating about six and a half feet off the ground.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Guard: PAPERS CITIZEN!
Citizen: *Removes hat with papers stuck inside and hands it over*
Guard: VERY GOOD. CARRY ON.
Citizen: Cripes, I'm glad I'm not someone trying to sneak in with low level magic!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

It's very analogous to the modern day. The government imposes a sales tax/hat knocking ordinance intending to catch criminals, but it only bothers the lower classes. Meanwhile, rich people/actual wizards are just creating offshore accounts/casting Invisibility to skip the whole rigamarole, and the little people are kept in their place. Wake up sheeple/serfles.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grimpond posted:

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I feel like this could have been worded better?
dndnext.txt

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Martial-classes disdain to conceal their views and aims. They openly declare that their ends can be attained only by the forcible overthrow of all existing wizardry. Let the arcane-classes tremble at a mundane revolution! The non-casters have nothing to lose but their magically enchanted chains. They have a world to win.

- The Martialist Manifesto

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also, uh, what stops warlocks from using their skills too?

D&D 3. and 5e has two classes: spellcasters and non-spellcasters. Spellcasters also have skills! And their spells on top of it!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it really comes down to how the two "power sources" are treated mechanically: if I roll a success on my "Master Conman" skill, it should be just as valid as Bob rolling a success on his "Crafty Illusionist" skill.

If I spend a "Charisma token" to make sure that my attempt to bribe the palace guard works, it should be just as valid as Bob spending one of his "spell tokens" to achieve the same effect.

IT BEGINS posted:

The point is that there are cheaper, better systems that are much more balanced.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Well, sure. There are many ways to explain why magic wouldn't always work. But then take a step back and realize the game has given you the job of constantly adjudicating and balancing everything against why the caster can't constantly replicate and exceed non-casters' abilities. And given you no help. Instead of maybe playing a game where you don't have to do the designers' work for them.

Man, if only some goon was currently testing a d20-based game where casters and non-casters ran off the same mechanics for combat and non-combat, rather than [casters just being better X times per day/non-casters being just as good but only at much higher levels.]

Oh, wait.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hey guys, I just wanted to kind of share my character's background and his general stats and see if yall have an suggestions on how to proceed as he levels up. Keep in mind that while everyone else in my party char genned with the correct rules (roll 4 keep top 3 + reallocation) I went with an older style of char gen and simply rolled 3 for each stat down the line. I like to let the dice decide what kind of character I play even if that means playing a gimp since I feel it forces you to be a little more creative with the character.

So I'm playing a Human Ranger.
After Human bonuses his stat line is:
STR 12 DEX 15 CON 10 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 11
He fights with a finesse one hander and a buckler and currently has the dueling trait for a total of 18 AC.

So yeah, Herbert.
He's an older gentleman who used to work for the government as a tax assessor. Herbert spent the grand majority of his career abusing tax loopholes to profiteer and broker deals (re:blackmail) all the while making prodigious use of his forgery skills to cover his tracks as he went. Like all good things his criminal activities came to an end however when he was cornered and while they couldn't prove anything they had strong suspicions regarding his activities. In the end they decided to furlough him for 5 years at which point his enemies also decided to seek him out for some tax "auditing". Determined to return to his carefree easy money making scheme he resolved himself to survive the next 5 years so that he could return and promptly escaped into the forest where he became something of a hermit, learning how to scrape a living in the wilderness. Whilst living among the fauna and flora he found that not only was he absolutely terrible at fighting, but getting attacked hurt a lot. This prompted him to carve for himself a crudely hewn set of "plate armor" from the local trees found only deep within the forest. He also managed to approximate a sword like tool and his fancy of what amounted to a buckler. Though his appearance resembles that of a knight due to the bulky nature of his armor au natural, in truth it's more of a protective carapace intended to soak his combat incompetence.

I'm coming up on level 3 and I'm thinking I'll have him pick up a pet of some sort to cover the fact that with only a +2 dex mod hitting stuff is somewhat difficult at times. Since pets replace the character's attack action right? And they use their own bonuses/statlines?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
just play a warlock.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most (if not all) of the available beasts won't have a better chance to hit, and some hit for 1 damage. Could do something with flyby to do the "fly in from 30 feet up, attack, fly out" thing, or something with poison to try and eke some more damage out.

Pack tactics could work to cancel out the poor aim, but the damage is still going to be weak. I guess that means Wolf.

edit - A Giant Badger has multi-attack. I'm honestly not sure what that does when you tell it to use the attack action. Can it attack twice? Can it attack four times at level 11?

Can you take a swarm as an animal companion?

goatface fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

"Verisimilitude" and CharOp aside, I don't think ActusRhesus is too far off from a narrative perspective. I forget who said this originally, but the degree of "magical thinking" involved in a D&D world really would have to be insane, given what some spells do, even low level ones...

quote:

Eberron is good but even it doesn't go anywhere in depth to reflect just how incredibly incomprehensibly different a world with D&D magic would be from ours.

Like, Magic Missile in and of itself would result in a world of such paranoid and insane rulership and bizarre interaction methods that it would make modern internet shut ins look positively outgoing.

A person who is negligibly more intelligent than average (they aren't even more skilled than their average peers) can learn first level spells. Not only can they learn them, the damage potential scales even if they are the dumbest wizard that has ever lived. Got a 22 on the ACT? You too can deliver instant, fatal damage from 100 ft away with perfect accuracy. Now try that with a longbow and 11 dexterity.

Fighters must be horrible. That is the whole of the law.

I could even see this evolving in such a fashion that the guards are only checking for magical disguises, because it's such a ludicrous idea that someone would just rouge their face and put on a real hat with false papers in it to break into the castle.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I could even see this evolving in such a fashion that the guards are only checking for magical disguises, because it's such a ludicrous idea that someone would just rouge their face and put on a real hat with false papers in it to break into the castle.

Wow, like a magic version of Gattaca. That'd be awesome. "It's impossible for there to be a rogue in this room, it's way up a wall! Only wizards can fly!"

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

goatface posted:

A Giant Badger has multi-attack. I'm honestly not sure what that does when you tell it to use the attack action. Can it attack twice? Can it attack four times at level 11?

It should be able to - it doesn't say the other attack takes any sort of separate action. Also sadly no bat swarms.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ActusRhesus posted:

just play a warlock.

You know, I actually had some sympathy for you, since you seem to be having some difficulty with the idea that the system you're playing with isn't well suited to the kind of game you seem to want to play (a problem which can be mitigated but not eliminated with good DMing and a cooperative group), and I've experienced that kind of frustration myself.

But this post right here threw that all out the window. Nice.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Well, that's the advice I got.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ActusRhesus posted:

The difference being is that there is no mechanical support to play a good ranger.

:smith::hf::smith: ranger buddy

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Oh gently caress off.

Laphroaig posted:

There is no build advice to give. There are no builds. Rogue, normal non-magic guy, is basically kind of crap compared to the other options that do the same things.

Make a rogue. Pick a race you like. Put your stats in DEX and CHA. Pick a weapon you like. Pick a background you like (criminal? con artist?). Pick skills you like.

Done. At level 3 choose Assassin path. You are not going to be any better or worse than any other rogue. Bard and Warlock are off the table because they use magic so there really is no advice to give. Both of those classes are better at being a con-man btw.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"I want to make a Rogue who is also a con man, and he doesn't use magic"

Okay, so you specifically pick the Rogue class, and then also pick the Charlatan background. Take Persuasion as one of your Expertise skills. When you hit level 3 and need to select your Archetype, choose the Assassin so you can disguise yourself as other people even better.

If you're playing with feats, get the Actor feat so you have Advantage on Deception and Performance checks to try and impersonate other people.

I think that's about it. Everything else is how you play the character. Refer to the details of the Charlatan background for RPing ideas.

Victorkm posted:

Or you could be a valour bard and just choose to not cast or memorize spells, have better weapons and armor, choose disguise, persuasion, deception etc as expertise, and also get bardic inspiration die to your skill checks.

Just because you didn't like the answers people gave doesn't mean you should pretend they don't exist.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just play Dark Sun where there is no magic, problem solved*.

(Just kidding, but really everyone should play more games set in Dark Sun, it's a kickin' rad setting)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

IT BEGINS posted:

Oh gently caress off.
Just because you didn't like the answers people gave doesn't mean you should pretend they don't exist.

Why are you so angry about this?

Also, I was looking for a little more than "write rogue on character sheet. Pick assassin." Skill expertise? Feat Selection? Benefits to one race vs. another? I get it, this game isn't as micro-managey as 3.5 was. But I was looking for some practical advice from people who have actually played the class, not "hey the rule book says assassin gets to use disguises so pick that." I can read.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 3, 2015

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ocrumsprug posted:

The difference being is that there is no mechanical support to play a good ranger.

It's cool, just hold out 'til level 20 to get that sweet +2 or +3 damage on one attack against some enemies. That'll show everyone for laughing at your ranger.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm totally down with a honey badger for a pet. I'm not too concerned with pulling my weight in the party so much as bringing us more opportunities for narrative fun though. We have a couple power gamer dudes with beastly characters, so we're pretty set on that end I feel like. I just want to make the game fun and memorable.

e: me and a buddy who is playing a rogue have already threatened to audit the tax records of the hamlet we arrived at if they didn't increase our reward for going to find their stolen heirlooms. hi5 party full of neutral/evil types

Razzled fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 3, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Why do you act so butthurt about this?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ActusRhesus posted:

And then you said no magic, and the conversation forked. In one fork you got the advice you asked for as posted above, which you seem to have ignored in favor of the other fork, which consisted of several people including yourself trying to make excuses why a system that doesn't do what you want very well can still be used to do what you want, and being kind of jerky about it. Which basically recapitulates this whole drat 350 page thread, if you think about it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

our 3.5 Ranger player was a monster once she realized how to play her class. I haven't looked at the 5.0 ranger rules, but is it really that bad?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Razzled posted:

I'm totally down with a honey badger for a pet. I'm not too concerned with pulling my weight in the party so much as bringing us more opportunities for narrative fun though. We have a couple power gamer dudes with beastly characters, so we're pretty set on that end I feel like. I just want to make the game fun and memorable.

What do you think of multiclassing as an alternative? Picking up something like Sneak Attack from the Rogue could go a ways towards shoring up your damage if you can somehow get advantage consistently.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

And then you said no magic, and the conversation forked. In one fork you got the advice you asked for as posted above, which you seem to have ignored in favor of the other fork, which consisted of several people including yourself trying to make excuses why a system that doesn't do what you want very well can still be used to do what you want, and being kind of jerky about it. Which basically recapitulates this whole drat 350 page thread, if you think about it.

how is pointing out that making NPCs who are not retarded is not "rewriting the rules" being a jerk?

A lot of the "just be a warlock...magic users are always better" presumes a DM who makes stupid NPCs.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 3, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

IT BEGINS posted:

What do you think of multiclassing as an alternative? Picking up something like Sneak Attack from the Rogue could go a ways towards shoring up your damage if you can somehow get advantage consistently.

get pet. use pet to set up advantage?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Also, I was looking for a little more than "write rogue on character sheet. Pick assassin." Skill expertise? Feat Selection? Benefits to one race vs. another? I get it, this game isn't as micro-managey as 3.5 was. But I was looking for some practical advice from people who have actually played the class, not "hey the rule book says assassin gets to use disguises so pick that." I can read.

You can't just make a rogue by announcing it's time and slamming repetitive numbers on a sheet, you gotta finesses that concept first. Maybe get it a few drinks. Also whoa. Not there. What are you even doing? Is... is that the rules? Get those out of there, it's not even CLOSE to your birthday.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActusRhesus posted:

our 3.5 Ranger player was a monster once she realized how to play her class. I haven't looked at the 5.0 ranger rules, but is it really that bad?
To repeat myself: its level 20 capstone is "+2 or +3 attack or damage on one attack per round against some creatures".

It's a crazy underwhelming class.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Giant Badger is also pretty cool because he has a burrow speed and is medium sized. That means his tunnels are probably big enough for you to follow him...

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Crotch posted:

To repeat myself: its level 20 capstone is "+2 or +3 attack or damage on one attack per round against some creatures".

It's a crazy underwhelming class.

hmm...in our 3.5 game we played around with feats and such that gave her a butt ton of extra arrows, plus some stuff that let her send her animal to bite people in the crotch in the same turn. (And I cheated somewhat and gently steered her towards choosing "preferred foes" that I knew she'd be seeing a lot of.) Honestly, the most underwhelming player in our group was the sorcerer because she had no idea how to play her class and was expecting to be able to do 500 points of damage as a level 2.

I'm not in love with the elimination of feats, as that was always a really fun way to get more character customization. First thought looking through rule book: "What? no feats?"

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 3, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

IT BEGINS posted:

Yeah I definitely wanted to multi-class. I only really ended up with Ranger because my STR was too low for fighter and I wanted some survivability. Ranger was the next best option since I took dueling and a buckler. Rogue would also definitely mesh with my Criminal/Charlatan background. I'll probably multi class after Ranger 3 since I don't think 4 is much of anything right?

quote:

The Giant Badger is also pretty cool because he has a burrow speed and is medium sized. That means his tunnels are probably big enough for you to follow him...

This just made me really excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Should I just empty-quote gradenko again?

gradenko_2000 posted:

"I want to make a Rogue who is also a con man, and he doesn't use magic"

Okay, so you specifically pick the Rogue class, and then also pick the Charlatan background. Take Persuasion as one of your Expertise skills. When you hit level 3 and need to select your Archetype, choose the Assassin so you can disguise yourself as other people even better.

If you're playing with feats, get the Actor feat so you have Advantage on Deception and Performance checks to try and impersonate other people.

I think that's about it. Everything else is how you play the character. Refer to the details of the Charlatan background for RPing ideas.

I've played this class. There's not a whole lot to it. My experience playing the class picking all 'RP' options was that I basically had the same effectiveness as the damage-focused Rogue in the one-shot I ran. Everything else was just skill use outside of combat, which is going to vary heavily between campaigns. Welcome to mundanes in 5E.

Super-Edit:

I had just as much success playing a stealthy rogue as this cleric, if not more.

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 3, 2015