Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I would :yotj: fast. Things are going downhill and you don't want to be there when the Boulder reaches the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Inspector_666 posted:

I had a woman get really mad at me because the Passport that she bought for herself didn't have a removable battery.

So, how do you use it without the ability to do a battery pull? Do you buy a new one every 7 days?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BaseballPCHiker posted:

:words:

All that said looks like he at least got us one new hire possibly a few months down the road so hopefully...

Wow, possibly a new hire possibly a few months down the road, meanwhile he and other managers are leaving the company.

You're in denial. You aren't the captain of this sinking ship, there's no reason you should go down with it. Get your resume updated and start looking.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The CIO had a meeting with the other directors including sales and marketing, it didn't go as well as I would've hoped. He mentioned he would bring up new hire turnaround times and a few other things.

Turns out he will be working remotely for the next month and then he is leaving. He assured us that all of our jobs are safe but there will be some heads rolling in other departments. Looks like the ERP director and and regulatory director will both be going as well as a few other upper IT folks. You may remember my multiple gripes from this thread and others about people in the company wanting the iPad to be the be all end all of sales equipment as well as my months long fight to get windows updates approved. Thing's should get interesting in the next few months. Waiting to hear from my boss to see if he got fired or resigned because he saw the writing on the wall.

All that said looks like he at least got us one new hire possibly a few months down the road so hopefully...

One director level person leaving is just corporate life. Three means one of two things

1. One of them is starting up on their own and bringing trusted people with them
2. The ship is sinking and the first people out get the best severance package.

Dust off your CV, make sure you have some savings and if they start asking for volunteers for redundancy with a decent package "to help us lean down" take it an run.

I was lucky to be offered a good redundancy package just before the big crash and the bank had to be bailed out by the government. The people who left six months after me got half the redundancy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

Wow, possibly a new hire possibly a few months down the road, meanwhile he and other managers are leaving the company.

You're in denial. You aren't the captain of this sinking ship, there's no reason you should go down with it. Get your resume updated and start looking.

I'm not in denial I don't expect one at all actually. I'm thinking I'll just try and wait out the storm until my stock options kick in later this summer. This place has really good benefits that will be hard to find somewhere else.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

What are stock options for a dead company worth?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Varkk posted:

In a lot of cases, the 'stock options' are 401k matching that vests after a certain time period. 401k stock in companies entirely unrelated to the one you actually work at.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Varkk posted:

I honestly dont think our company is going down, there are zero signs of this. In fact our stock went up from like $25 to $30 in one day this week after our earnings call and they keep talking up growth and expansion. I just think there is some major reorganization going on. If I stick around until my options vest I can make some extra money and might even be able to get promoted depending on how things play out.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 3, 2015

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I honestly dont think our company is going down, there are zero signs of this.

That's the first sign! :tinfoil:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I honestly dont think our company is going down, there are zero signs of this. In fact are stock went up from like $25 to $30 in one day this week after our earnings call and they keep talking up growth and expansion. I just think there is some major reorganization going on. If I stick around until my options vest I can make some extra money and might even be able to get promoted depending on how things play out.

From what I can tell, your reported problems are only really pertaining to the IT section of the business - The "CIO" sounded more like an IT Management Consultant IMO. If you think there's a good chance the *company* - and not the department - will stay alive, then by all means ride it out. But at the very least I would suggest you update your CV, put your ear to the ground and see what's out there. You don't need to worry about applying but it's useful to just refresh your mind once in a while.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

spog posted:

So, how do you use it without the ability to do a battery pull? Do you buy a new one every 7 days?

On a blackberry you just hold down the power button for 10 seconds to reboot. Many other phones you have to hold down two buttons to do a soft reset.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Logging into ArcGIS Online though ArcMap gives you a username field where back space removes two character instead of one. Why? Who knows!

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

DigitalRaven posted:

loving hell this. This right here.

"It didn't do that last time I restarted."

Yeah, that time that never happened you stupid loving lying shitstain.

And the other 30% just requires me to stand next to them while they show me an error that for some reason do not show up when they take the time to do whatever they try to do properly... I actually "fixed" a coffeemachine like this.

On my last interview I mentioned this and said that after 15+ years in the industry you get these magical powers and that I have them. I got the job heh.

spog posted:

Did they start off the call by saying that there was a fire: or were they complaining about not being able to get email and you eventually troubleshooted the route cause as being the server melting?

No, but that would not have surprised me. At those factories they only hired people not fit for anything else but put screws in bags. They said something like this ~"So, there is a fire. We are supposed to call you guys for stuff like this, right?" -Wrong.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

John Dough posted:

Logging into ArcGIS Online though ArcMap gives you a username field where back space removes two character instead of one. Why? Who knows!

Probably written in ArcPy.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm using the restroom. I take my time in there, wifi works, you know. I get an email and a text from my boss that just says, "where are you?". I rush back to the helpdesk and I see nothing obviously on fire, so I go to my boss's office and ask, "hey is everything okay?" He gets super defensive saying he was checking on me this morning to make sure I alright, I knew he was going to be late this morning, he didn't see me, etc. etc. What the hell? I've been doing this for a while now, if I need help I know how to get it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Poop on his desk to avoid further confusion.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Aww he worries about you. :3:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Blackberry.txt

Don't know a thing about them, but it's fixed every issue I've ran into.

Ticket: User complains her blackberry is slow.
Resolution: Gave user an iphone. Took her blackberry to the gun range for target practice.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well that's obviously better, but I'm pretty sure a few people here would try to take me to the gun range if I took away their Blackberry.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In a rare stroke of good decisionmaking, corporate has decreed that we're shitcanning BES come April. To avoid swamping ourselves with questions we're not replacing them all at once, but the solution to any Blackberry problem right now is to replace it with an iphone, and the few blackberries that manage to go 3 months without requiring an RMA will be replaced some time in March.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Well that's obviously better, but I'm pretty sure a few people here would try to take me to the gun range if I took away their Blackberry.

At this point the only thing that the iphone needs is a hard case with a decent* physical keyboard that slides out and you could probably tell people that it's the "new blackberry"

*gently caress phone sized chiclet keyboards, there are no decent ones

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had my interview this morning with that confrontational HR VP and it went really well. In person she was friendly and asked good questions. The company is lacking for systems and instead of hypotheticals she asked me about what I could see implementing for her (HR department of one) as well as accounting. Toward the end of the interview she said "I like you, and I want you to meet the CFO and managing director as well." Those will be scheduled separately.

I was prepared for it to be as ugly as that phone call but it went as well as possible. Everything she told me about the company tech environment issues got the wheels in my head turning as it's all stuff I've dealt with before in one way or another. At one point she said "I don't want to try and fool you into thinking everything runs perfectly here" and I said "If you told me everything ran perfectly I'd want to work here to see what you're doing. If you said you had problems I'd want to work here to fix them."

Also I got to wear my new suit for the first time and I think I looked good. For an I.T. guy. :cool:

Thank you all for being so supportive. I'll keep you updated.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:woop: Here's hoping, Dick Trauma. We're pulling for you.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

I had my interview this morning with that confrontational HR VP and it went really well. In person she was friendly and asked good questions. The company is lacking for systems and instead of hypotheticals she asked me about what I could see implementing for her (HR department of one) as well as accounting. Toward the end of the interview she said "I like you, and I want you to meet the CFO and managing director as well." Those will be scheduled separately.

I was prepared for it to be as ugly as that phone call but it went as well as possible. Everything she told me about the company tech environment issues got the wheels in my head turning as it's all stuff I've dealt with before in one way or another. At one point she said "I don't want to try and fool you into thinking everything runs perfectly here" and I said "If you told me everything ran perfectly I'd want to work here to see what you're doing. If you said you had problems I'd want to work here to fix them."

Also I got to wear my new suit for the first time and I think I looked good. For an I.T. guy. :cool:

Nice, very well done dude. They'd be dumb not to hire you.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

You go girl!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Good luck DT!

As a side note, I just had a recruiter ask me to take off a fortune 500 company kernel development gig on my resume because it was only for 3 months. :psyduck:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Coredump posted:

I'm using the restroom. I take my time in there, wifi works, you know. I get an email and a text from my boss that just says, "where are you?". I rush back to the helpdesk and I see nothing obviously on fire, so I go to my boss's office and ask, "hey is everything okay?" He gets super defensive saying he was checking on me this morning to make sure I alright, I knew he was going to be late this morning, he didn't see me, etc. etc. What the hell? I've been doing this for a while now, if I need help I know how to get it.

Coredump :laugh:

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: MOAC online labs.

There is no way in hell it takes 25 minutes to install loving ACT and SQL Server 2012, and then 10 more to reboot Server 2012.

This web-RDP-to-Hyper-V thing loving sucks.

Page late but yes. I had a server 2012 class and at least twice I had to do troubleshooting to do what should have already worked. Even emailed my professor to tell him I couldn't do a lab because two server VMs couldn't see each other.

Edit: More poo poo that pisses you off: DT cheer squad edition.
I'm all for it though, hope it works out!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coredump posted:

You'll have to send him an email every time you have to take a dump from now on, preferably work hours only

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

mewse posted:

You'll have to send him an email every time you have to take a dump from now on, preferably work hours only

Documentation isn't complete without screenshots.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

I hope it goes well, but hte cynic in me says they are going to low-ball your salary offer. Push it up, and don't forget to push for a well known senior management title (VP of X, C title, etc). Also, if you run into a salary wall, try for additional vacation days, stock options, retirement matching, etc, which are all accounted for differently.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm working with an outside recruiter who has already submitted me at the salary he and I agree upon that's within the employer's specified range. The title is VP of I.T. because like with the one person HR department they want to have all the department heads at the same org chart level. VPs are common in this industry, same as at my last job so I don't have any illusions about how much authority I'd actually have.

Hell, the job might even suck! But what I want is:

1. The money. If they agree to what I'm asking it will be about $30k more than the last job.
2. The title. It's been ten years since I had a title higher than "I.T. Manager" and I badly need something to show my emphasis on management, not pulling out paper jams.
3. The time to continue working on my marketability while collecting a paycheck. It's something I should've done at the last job but I was too distracted. That means getting a couple of certs, and maybe taking classes to shore up my weak points.

If I can get this job (or one like it) and keep it for a year I think it will help my resume look like I'm on the way up, not stuck in a lower level slot because no one recognizes my skills.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Documentation isn't complete without screenshots.

:golfclap:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

As a side note, I just had a recruiter ask me to take off a fortune 500 company kernel development gig on my resume because it was only for 3 months. :psyduck:

This is good advice. Nobody cares who you worked for for 3 months, especially if you have other embedded Dev work or driver work. Just put "kernel development" under "skills" if it really bothers you

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

This is good advice. Nobody cares who you worked for for 3 months, especially if you have other embedded Dev work or driver work. Just put "kernel development" under "skills" if it really bothers you

Eh, it was a temp gig and the VP of the division gave me a glowing review. I know it was just for three months, but I finished my work in 3 months, they gave me 6. :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

See, I told you that with a decent suit you will do well.

Barney Stinson was not just a successful ladies-man.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dick Trauma posted:

Good news! I wouldn't have expected that to go well -- given your past experience over the phone. Good luck.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Take them out to the gun range. If they like Blackberry that much they're not useful people and will not be missed.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

lmao I have someone that doesn't understand "Thats the limit of the service, you are going way over. Please condense what you have to make it more manageable or back it up some other way." They also don't get that you can't transmit over 20GB in 30 seconds on a generic wifi data connection.

So my boss got emailed and I'll have to copy and paste this from the 4 emails I sent it in. Lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

poo poo pissing me off: loving security analysts that can't write rules. WHY WOULD YOU PUT A loving STRING IN A BINARY BUFFER.