Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Samus is not par for the course, sorry to say. This year has been an incredible revival for Samus players because of Plup. It was literally huge that Hugs won a regional playing Samus.

This Apex was absolutely crazy for Melee. It's the first time a Marth has won a major since 2007, when Azen won famously. It was a Big Deal, and was extremely different from normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It was won by a guy that apparently didn't attend a single tournament since the last Apex, which he won. Is he the best player now?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Mango's promising to switch to Falcon for Evo, putting his threepeat on the line for the people. :911:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

It was won by a guy that apparently didn't attend a single tournament since the last Apex, which he won. Is he the best player now?

PPMD was very sick this year supposedly, so that's why he didn't play this year. He's been considered a Melee god for a while now, but yes, with last night's showing he is in the running for current top player.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don't get how Megaman's soundtrack was picked

A series with 30 years of some really really good music and they pick stuff from just the first 6 games

And then they don't even go with any already made, excellent remixes of songs from the first 6 games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WYrhgc3vvA

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Because megaman in this game is completely based on the first 6 games.

What's not to get. What do you want.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mega man got a bunch of new remixes for smash. sonic didn't get anything. be thankful for what you got

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think a bigger problem is that nobody hears the MM tracks very often anyway because nobody can stand to play on Wily Fortress outside Omega Mode, imo sticking to the classic series is the least of the problems here.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWmtA1VCHWY

Just gonna leave this here and let everyone know I was right about Link being untapped and amazing in S4.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBtsDI5bltE

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

laplace posted:

Just gonna leave this here and let everyone know I was right about Link being untapped and amazing in S4.

Sick Combo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

This man is a hero for causing a balance patch

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

guessing whether they're going to change Link's crouch so it doesn't cancel that, give the first jab longer recovery or remove the part of the sword that sucks the other guy inward, so it just pushes them out.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hello thread, I'm late but have a question. Am I loving myself by maining Meta Knight? I used him in Brawl not because of his OPness, but because he's my favorite character in my favorite Nintendo franchise (Kirby). He did need a nerf in 4, but holy poo poo he feels neutered now. poo poo range and killing power.

I want to play my favorite franchise but would like to be at least at the minorly competitive/small time tourney level, and it doesn't seem like Kirby is much better off (and Dedede is the opposite of my light/fast character playstyle). Can MK do that or should I switch to my Brawl secondary and new character everyone cries about, Diddy?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

MK is completely viable.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I've heard that metaknight is actually okay in this game but I have literally never seen anyone playing him. The most important part of smash bros. is sticking with the characters you like, as long as you don't like diddy.

on second though it is also not cool to like rosalina or lucario

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 3, 2015

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Good to know. I'm glad that the OP LOLZ bandwagoners have left Meta Knight, and mid tier is fine as long as he's not garbage.

Also gently caress you I love Diddy :mad: I refused to play as any other character in the DKC games, except for DKC3 of course (Dixie Kong for DLC? Please? She even has helicopter hair-twirl as a badass stage recovery move). I'm still very new to Smash 4, why does everyone hate him so much?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cuckoo posted:

Good to know. I'm glad that the OP LOLZ bandwagoners have left Meta Knight, and mid tier is fine as long as he's not garbage.

Also gently caress you I love Diddy :mad: I refused to play as any other character in the DKC games, except for DKC3 of course (Dixie Kong for DLC? Please? She even has helicopter hair-twirl as a badass stage recovery move). I'm still very new to Smash 4, why does everyone hate him so much?
Grabbing and air combos are very powerful in Smash 4, and Diddy is fantastic at both.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB-6oRB4ABo

If you like diddy then you should use diddy; our forefathers did not sacrifice their lives for you to not play as your favorite nintendos

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Cuckoo posted:

Hello thread, I'm late but have a question. Am I loving myself by maining Meta Knight? I used him in Brawl not because of his OPness, but because he's my favorite character in my favorite Nintendo franchise (Kirby). He did need a nerf in 4, but holy poo poo he feels neutered now. poo poo range and killing power.

I want to play my favorite franchise but would like to be at least at the minorly competitive/small time tourney level, and it doesn't seem like Kirby is much better off (and Dedede is the opposite of my light/fast character playstyle). Can MK do that or should I switch to my Brawl secondary and new character everyone cries about, Diddy?

Meta Knight shines best with quick strikes, throws, and air combos. His best kill strikes are his up-b after an air combo, or his down b.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

You're never loving yourself for playing a character you love.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's okay, to like Diddy Kong.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Is that link bug good enough to bring Link into popular tournament use?

Can everyone crouch cancel their jabs?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Maybe and no, respectively

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
People hate Diddy Kong because he is a Very Good character in Smash 4, while more then likely their favorite character is Not.

(In reality, Diddy Kong is about where I wish the majority of the Smash 4 cast was but part of Sakurai's vision is blockstun is less then move recovery for anything heavier then a jab string, especially if the attacking character is in midair, if how the majority of the cast fares against shielding is any indication. Diddy is the most blatant exception in that most of his moves recover fast or have enough reach to peck at shields outside of easy punish range- and has the addition of having both a really good throw game and some really great aerials naturally for air-to-air fighting- and as such is really really good because he does not have to know fear before pressing buttons. But because their own character is Totally Fine and Not At All Bad, they choose to hate Diddy instead for being OverPowered when it's really more like the bitterness a cripple has for a man with two working legs with the unfortunate secondary problem that Smash 4's handicapped parking is goddamn full.

I want to like Smash 4, and I think there's a really good game in there, but deep down I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe only a small handful the forty-nine characters in the roster will get to actually play it once the dust settles.)

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I think statements like that are probably premature.

I'd like to see a low tier tourney too, I think that's what sparked mewtwo's rise from "literally worst character" to middle of the pack in the tiers in melee. That and m2k put in a lot of work with that character.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

messagemode1 posted:

I think statements like that are probably premature.

I'd like to see a low tier tourney too, I think that's what sparked mewtwo's rise from "literally worst character" to middle of the pack in the tiers in melee. That and m2k put in a lot of work with that character.

I hope time, effort, and new information proves my statement wrong. Because my statement is very, very bad and it would be crushing if it turns out vindicated by knowledge and experience.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No meta is ever solved in a year, I don't know why people think Smash4 will be the exception.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tae posted:

No meta is ever solved in a year, I don't know why people think Smash4 will be the exception.

That would be a very cool statement if the discussion was about metagame.

The problem is mechanics. Most of the characters in the game have great difficulty pressuring someone who knows about blocking and spacing without getting punished. Shielding is very good in Smash 4, most attacks have some notable lag compared to blockstun, and many characters have some really, really good Out of Shield options. Attacking is simply Not Good and Not Safe right now for all but a handful of characters. Those characters are currently the ones doing in large the best, even in the face of otherwise notable flaws (see: Luigi)

We're not looking for a strategy shift or for some new character to shake up roster balance, we're talking about looking for some mechanical change or new way to pressure an opponent that makes approaching a defensive opponent safer for a majority of the cast, since that's the major thing separating most of few 'haves' on the roster like Diddy, Shiek, Yoshi, etc. from the have nots.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mr. Locke posted:

We're not looking for a strategy shift or for some new character to shake up roster balance, we're talking about looking for some mechanical change or new way to pressure an opponent that makes approaching a defensive opponent safer for a majority of the cast, since that's the major thing separating most of few 'haves' on the roster like Diddy, Shiek, Yoshi, etc. from the have nots.

SAKURAI: *brings hot cup of coffee up to lips, keeps it there, whispering* who gives a gently caress

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The thing about Smash 4 and competitive play is that it reveals something about Sakurai's weird thinking. Sakurai sort of grudgingly acknowledged that people want to play his games in a competitive way (For Glory, tourney sponsorship) but also firmly believes his vision is the right one. This is hosed up because according to interviews, he believes that competitive players wish to play the game on Final Destination and that this is where the game boils down to its more "pure" form

He sort of compromised with himself in a weird way with Smash 4, because he didn't want it to be like Brawl but he also chemically removed any non-basic way to engage with the game, making it so casual-competitive gameplay can be cheesy (For Glory) and that highest-level competitive game can be hard on of approaching, unless the char has built-in options that make up for the lack of movement tech and mixups (Diddy)

Basically according to most interviews he admits that Smash 4 is a poo poo comp game and that he wanted it to be a casual game, but he still sort of did concessions here and there that were imo pretty misguided n weird OR afterthoughts. Well thats my post on competitive Smash 4.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Can we take a moment to appreciate how loving hype it was for a Little Mac to get pulled out and actually take a game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The thing about Smash 4 and competitive play is that it reveals something about Sakurai's weird thinking. Sakurai sort of grudgingly acknowledged that people want to play his games in a competitive way (For Glory, tourney sponsorship) but also firmly believes his vision is the right one. This is hosed up because according to interviews, he believes that competitive players wish to play the game on Final Destination and that this is where the game boils down to its more "pure" form

To be fair Sakurai sees the Japanese players by far the most, and that's probably where that comes from (the Japanese meta plays FD heavily).

I agree with most of the rest of that post though

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate how loving hype it was for a Little Mac to get pulled out and actually take a game.

Yeah and as a Duck Hunt player's counter-pick who then went back to Duck Hunt to win the set and get into the top 8? It was rad as hell basically.

Also every game the Ness/Villager doubles team played in was magic. Even against two of the top players in the world playing what is considered the best character, it looked like their biggest problem was getting in each other's way. If they were a little tighter I think they could've taken it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

PantsBandit posted:

I could see the meta becoming secondary-heavy for those who don't want to main Diddy or Sheik.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Blackheart posted:

It's okay, to like Diddy Kong.
its actually not

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

To be fair Sakurai sees the Japanese players by far the most, and that's probably where that comes from (the Japanese meta plays FD heavily).

I agree with most of the rest of that post though

Yeah that's true.

Sakurai posted:

If I wanted to, I'm sure I could make a more hardcore Smash Brothers game. I could make the game speed much faster, increase the number of inputs...but then, beginners would no longer be able to play the game. When the game becomes more like a sport, a tool that more strictly rewards the player with more skill, the game tapers off more, like a mountain. Just like how a mountain tapers off into its peak, that area becomes more and more narrow.

See he says this but then creates a game that is largely reactive, which means he thinks the human brain doesnt want to be rewarded for taking initiative, which is weird. Does he really not understand all the frustration people getting owned by camping Links, aura sphere roll spamming Lucarios etc. in FG has created? In that situation he's created a game where there's a sweet spot of being able to abuse tactics that test your opponent's skill more than they test your ability to execute. A truly good player can easily own tactics like that, but he doesnt want the game to be about the most invested players, he wants it to be for everyone. IMO the game could easily have been just as accessible but less stilted.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I don't even like that game, but I wonder if Sakurai's head would explode if someone showed him League of Legends and the numbers that game gets

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The worst part is, among the characters that can actually compete, Smash 4 is really fun to both watch and play. Some of the best matches in the tournament were the Diddy/Shiek in the winner's finals and the Sonic matches in the loser's bracket. Getting a good match with like Mario or Zero Suit vs Lucario or even Diddy can feel competitive and tense and frantic to play. It's just that so few characters can actually compete in that space because most of them just are so incapable of dealing with some of the core basic elements of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I believe that anyone can overcome...

• Locked thread