Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abNBkRHCckQ

Dude sounds like an old Winnie the Pooh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

turtlecrunch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abNBkRHCckQ

Dude sounds like an old Winnie the Pooh.
Things spotted in the video:

Vengarl's body fight in Tark's arena.
Red phantom fight in Aldia's keep dragon skeleton room, but the skeleton isn't doing anything.
Pursuer/Ogre fight, maybe they implemented the "Pursuer attacks you a bunch of places" idea more fully.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Things spotted in the video:

Vengarl's body fight in Tark's arena.
Red phantom fight in Aldia's keep dragon skeleton room, but the skeleton isn't doing anything.
Pursuer/Ogre fight, maybe they implemented the "Pursuer attacks you a bunch of places" idea more fully.

Also I saw a bit where a guy had 2 red phantoms fighting him and 3 white phantoms helping. Has that always been possible? I thought you could have no more than 2 allies?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Meis posted:

Also I saw a bit where a guy had 2 red phantoms fighting him and 3 white phantoms helping. Has that always been possible? I thought you could have no more than 2 allies?

Nah that's one of the features they're adding in the current gen console ports and presumably in the PC upgrade you have to pay for.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also
A New Scythe.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

What's the best all round medium armour that'll let you roll? I'm currently rocking alonne armour but looking at it I might be better off with drakekeeper armour?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Drone_Fragger posted:

What's the best all round medium armour that'll let you roll? I'm currently rocking alonne armour but looking at it I might be better off with drakekeeper armour?

Armor doesn't matter. Just pick something that looks good.
There's a reason Fashion Souls is a thing. Went through the game shirtless and with the bandit pants once and didn't feel like I needed more protection.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also
A New Scythe.

If you're talking about 1:57 that's the Scythe of Want.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Genocyber posted:

If you're talking about 1:57 that's the Scythe of Want.

nnooooope:

vs

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Putting Vengarl's body closer to his head makes a little more sense.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, it looks pretty cool. I guess I'll have to content myself with watching a Let's Play of it, though, since I'm not shelling out any more money for the game. Maybe I'll pick it up used at Gamestop in a few years when I've finally bought a PS4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno, I like the idea of Vengarl's body aimlessly wandering the world loving poo poo up without the head needing to be present, only to get stymied by falling into a pit that it has no way to climb out of because there's no ladder back up and it has no homeward bones. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh, you're right. It looks similar enough at a glance and it had the same unique twirling move so I thought they were the same. Hopefully it doesn't just copy the Scythe of Want's moveset entirely.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's also a Flexile Sentry in the water-filled path that leads to Lost Sinner. Look at the walls to the right of it when it's attacking the player.

Holy poo poo that's the Pursuer next to the sex-change coffin.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The new story and NPC elements are confirmed free for current owners of any version of the game, yea? I really want to check out the new story stuff but I'm not shelling out money for a slight graphical upgrade.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

The new story and NPC elements are confirmed free for current owners of any version of the game, yea? I really want to check out the new story stuff but I'm not shelling out money for a slight graphical upgrade.

Version differences, as explained by the publisher:

http://www.darksoulsii.com/uk/functionalities.html

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cmon Thursday....

I tried playing DS1 yesterday again (shut up :mad: ) to tide me over until the patch comes out, neither ScpServer nor BetterDS3 makes my DualShock 3 work worth a drat. Clicking the left stick by accident makes all sorts of hilarious thing happen like putting my weapon away or stopping to chug Estus or dodging off the nearest ledge.

Yes yes I know DS1 is a better game and has way better ~*lore*~ and poo poo, it's very frustrating struggling with the dumbest enemies that you'd be able to totally annihilate if you only had familiar KB+M controls (as opposed to having trouble just not diving off ledges). Also unlike DS2 it's really slow to get to the good part apparently because the Undead Burg loving sucks.

e: was rolling as a swordsman. You'll all be tickled pink to know I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to kick the shield-tanking soldiers before finding out that it's just the Scimitar that does a backflip slash when you input that command.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 3, 2015

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

If you don't like Undead Burg just skip it? I don't know if you've tried dsmfix or not, but I've heard it makes the game bearable with kbm.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Version differences, as explained by the publisher:

http://www.darksoulsii.com/uk/functionalities.html

Great, thanks!

I might get it for PS4 just to centralize all my favorite current games on one platform, but only if they can get 60fps.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ugh, split online playerbase.

Whether I buy the shiny version or not it's still going to suck MP-wise.

Guess I'd better enjoy the patched vanilla version for a few weeks until the shiny version comes out and splits the playerbase in two then.

Who the hell even summons two phantoms anyway? or summons a gank onto themselves. Like this 6v6 thing really seems to be a solution in search of a problem, how would you ensure it's an even matchup, numerically? is there going to be a horde mode or something?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Who the hell even summons two phantoms anyway? or summons a gank onto themselves. Like this 6v6 thing really seems to be a solution in search of a problem, how would you ensure it's an even matchup, numerically? is there going to be a horde mode or something?

I've invaded tons of people who summon two phantoms, for what's it worth. Both people looking to gank and people clearly just going through the level.

Presumably the new slot will be locked such it can only be used by an invader.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Mr Dog posted:

If they add a Red Eye Orb at least we would get a lot of invasions and the Blue Cops could start being useful

I don't think anyone should worry about numerical balance. I'm definitely going to summon a bro squad an run through Bellfry Luna/Sol :getin:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Usually I put down a sign because I want humanity or whatever, so I assume that signs I see are other people wanting the same thing. So I generally summon people when I see them out of courtesy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna try and deadrun the entire game w/Agape Ring then summon FFG newbies into NG+ FFG :getin:

e: I wonder if invaders will be able to hit red signs when they enter a world outnumbered in order to even up the odds? That could actually make things very interesting.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 3, 2015

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Do we know for certain that the Agape ring will absorb ALL souls, or only those earned from online play (i.e. PvP & Co-op) ?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

flowinprose posted:

Do we know for certain that the Agape ring will absorb ALL souls, or only those earned from online play (i.e. PvP & Co-op) ?

The wording on the ring suggests ALL souls

Ring Item Description: "A ring affixed with an open vessel. The vessel insatiably absorbs souls in place of its wearer, who is left unaware even of their collection.
All things are rooted in souls, but what drives our thirst for them? Abstinence from this elixir may be the truest homage to an enduring self"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah it sounds like it only affects "online play". So in addition to carrying a Life Protection ring you also have to be wearing the Agape Ring. And I mean who the gently caress rolls without a Chloranthy (+2) ring on any build ever.

Actually here's a question: is it better to attempt a No Death run on NG or NG+? I am of course very far away from being able to pull off such a feat (despite having several hundred hours sunk into the game at this point), but certain things like the NG+ Lost Sinner's NG+ pyromancers and that gigantic loving rear end in a top hat at the NG+ Egyll Idol bonfire and the hammer wielding jerkoff outside NG+ Drangleic Castle feel like a gigantic bag of NOPE. Still, people generally seem to attempt no-death on NG+ despite that.

I'd like to try it but I can't cope with pressure at all, and there are a fair few fights that are fairly easy on the whole but will most likely kill you the moment you make a mistake. Old Iron King for instance. Or Nashandra. Can you imagine getting lasered and then cursed, 20 odd hours in, right at the final hurdle?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why would you constantly run around with a ring of life protection. Have you tried "not dying"?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah it sounds like it only affects "online play". So in addition to carrying a Life Protection ring you also have to be wearing the Agape Ring. And I mean who the gently caress rolls without a Chloranthy (+2) ring on any build ever.

Actually here's a question: is it better to attempt a No Death run on NG or NG+? I am of course very far away from being able to pull off such a feat (despite having several hundred hours sunk into the game at this point), but certain things like the NG+ Lost Sinner's NG+ pyromancers and that gigantic loving rear end in a top hat at the NG+ Egyll Idol bonfire and the hammer wielding jerkoff outside NG+ Drangleic Castle feel like a gigantic bag of NOPE. Still, people generally seem to attempt no-death on NG+ despite that.

I'd like to try it but I can't cope with pressure at all, and there are a fair few fights that are fairly easy on the whole but will most likely kill you the moment you make a mistake. Old Iron King for instance. Or Nashandra. Can you imagine getting lasered and then cursed, 20 odd hours in, right at the final hurdle?

I would think a no-death run would be much easier on NG. You can just not worry about soul memory so much and just farm easy fights to up your stats and equipment to make the more difficult stuff easier.

A no-bonfire run on the other hand could arguably be easier on NG+, since you can set up a build including spell slots prior to starting the run that way. Otherwise, I think a NG no-bonfire run means no spell usage at all since you can't use a bonfire to attune magic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why would you constantly run around with a ring of life protection. Have you tried "not dying"?

Already tried it, cheat codes from other games don't work in this one

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Already tried it, cheat codes from other games don't work in this one

Well in that case, did you know that if you die in Dark Souls 2, you can retrieve your previously gained souls if you make it back to the spot where you died?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well in that case, did you know that if you die in Dark Souls 2, you can retrieve your previously gained souls if you make it back to the spot where you died?

I did know that but I don't have to because I wear a ring of life protection whenever I am in danger of actually dying

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
If the man wants to wear a RoLP then the man can wear a RoLP. PLAY IT YOUR WAY :darksouls:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Going through all the DLC finally, Fume Knight was pretty hard, took me three tries to beat, phew!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alonne on the other hand is kicking my rear end

e: Dodge a backstep stab attack, okay let's whip out some estus, oh he did the backstep stab attack again and stabbed me while I was drinking. What a bullshit loving attack, I can see it being at the end of an attack chain but punishing healing when you successfully read and dodge an attack chain is all kinds of stupid.

e2: Beat him through the power of just dodging every attack instead. Backstep stab attack is still stupid as hell though.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 4, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Alonne on the other hand is kicking my rear end

e: Dodge a backstep stab attack, okay let's whip out some estus, oh he did the backstep stab attack again and stabbed me while I was drinking. What a bullshit loving attack, I can see it being at the end of an attack chain but punishing healing when you successfully read and dodge an attack chain is all kinds of stupid.

e2: Beat him through the power of just dodging every attack instead. Backstep stab attack is still stupid as hell though.

If he hit you as you healed then you did not successfully read his patterns, just sayin.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Genocyber posted:

If he hit you as you healed then you did not successfully read his patterns, just sayin.

I know you're like dense as gently caress all the time but I very specifically healed while behind him after one of his patterns ended, and that backstep stab still got me.

At least smelter demon, the sequel was easy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Control Volume posted:

I know you're like dense as gently caress all the time but I very specifically healed while behind him after one of his patterns ended, and that backstep stab still got me.

And that's part of his patterns. Not in the way of "he'll do these specific attacks if you stand so close to him" kind of way but he will consistently do a quick attack if you heal at the wrong time. Which is part of what makes him such a good fight, he's super good at punishing heals. There are still times where you can get a guaranteed safe heal, but they're very few. Most of the times are ones where you may be able to dodge in time but probably not. And of course how fast your estus animation is plays into it a bit as well.

e: I suppose it would be more accurate to say "part of his AI" than part of his patterns.

e2: Actually if you did heal with his back to you, then you could have taken too long to heal. You need to heal immediately (as in you can't even wait a second) after Alonne does something, specifically because he will attack immediately if he's not in the middle of an animation and you heal.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 4, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Genocyber posted:

And that's part of his patterns. Not in the way of "he'll do these specific attacks if you stand so close to him" kind of way but he will consistently do a quick attack if you heal at the wrong time. Which is part of what makes him such a good fight, he's super good at punishing heals. There are still times where you can get a guaranteed safe heal, but they're very few. Most of the times are ones where you may be able to dodge in time but probably not. And of course how fast your estus animation is plays into it a bit as well.

e: I suppose it would be more accurate to say "part of his AI" than part of his patterns.

That specific attack is the only attack that punishes heals when you dodge successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Alonne takes me a few times to remember when to heal and yeah lots of times I'm mashing the roll button cause I can tell he's coming at me.