Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, it's also a really missed opportunity. Napoleon's rise to emperor thanks to First Civilization technology almost writes itself and they should have shifted the whole plot into the later stage of the revolution from the start to include that. Otherwise it's just a reenectment of a few historical events with a 'Hey, remember this?' sticker on them instead of giving them the rear end Creed twist which was always neat in the series. The almost complete lack of the First Civilization stuff in the main game is mind-boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Palpek posted:

Yeah, it's also a really missed opportunity. Napoleon's rise to emperor thanks to First Civilization technology almost writes itself and they should have shifted the whole plot into the later stage of the revolution from the start to include that. Otherwise it's just a reenectment of a few historical events with a 'Hey, remember this?' sticker on them instead of giving them the rear end Creed twist which was always neat in the series. The almost complete lack of the First Civilization stuff in the main game is mind-boggling.

Hey, we could always have a Napoleonic Wars AC! That could have Egypt, and boats!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Snuffman posted:

Hey, we could always have a Napoleonic Wars AC! That could have Egypt, and boats!

Yeah, honestly, Napoleon ransacking Egypt with soldiers and scholars to find the Apple Arno hid there would be a classic Asscreed riff on history. I hope Ubisoft tries to release 3 games on it in 2016.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

At this point Ubisoft is ready to release 2 games with the same protagonist in one year where in the first one he/she joins the Assassins and in the second one the Templars as two 'what could have been?' alternatives of the same story. Hey, they could even reuse assets doing this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am playing through AC3 again, and despite some of the glaring flaws in the game, I still think it has one of the best characters out of the entire series.

They need to make more games with Haytham Kenway as the main character. :colbert:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The way they depicted Arno's relationship with the Brotherhood and Napoleon seems simply confused. In the main game Arno gets kicked out of the Brotherhood yet takes down Saint-Germain together with Elise. As mentioned previously, Dead Kings starts with the Marquis de Sade offering Arno passage to Egypt in exchange for retrieving an artifact from the catacombs below Franciade. Said artifact is an Apple of Eden which Napoleon is after as well, and Arno ultimately entrusts it to an Assassin courier who is supposed to deliver it to Al-Mualim ("mualim" apparently means "teacher", so presumably this is the title of the mentor of the Egyptian Brotherhood) in Cairo. It is never explained how the Egyptian assassins are significant, nor how Arno reconciled with the Brotherhood before he went to Franciade.

As for Napoleon, he already has an Apple retrieved from the King's stash, so it is unclear why he wants another one. Also, Dead Kings takes place in August 1794 and the Egyptian expedition commenced in 1798. If Napoleon was after the Apple Arno sent to Egypt, it is odd that they seem to be allies in 1800 (judging by the co-op mission involving defending Napoleon in that year. Judging by the costumes, the retrieval of Saint-Germain's remains might take place around this time as well).

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Guess I really need to get onto playing through Dead Kings. All of this stuff sounds pretty neat story-wise.

ayn rand hand job posted:

They listened to fans and finally made combat harder. :greenangel:

yeah gently caress those people :mad:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Palpek posted:

At this point Ubisoft is ready to release 2 games with the same protagonist in one year where in the first one he/she joins the Assassins and in the second one the Templars as two 'what could have been?' alternatives of the same story. Hey, they could even reuse assets doing this.

Assassin's Creed Victory: Assassin White Version, exclusive to Xbox One, and Assassin's Creed Victory: Templar Black Version, exclusive to PS4.

The only way to open all the chests is to trade between versions.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Is a Ubisoft CEO noting this down? We're making that next year's bonus really easier to get.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Some of the legendary outfits are randomly unlocking for me. I've not joined any of the multiplayer. Has anyone else noticed this?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I'm pretty sure that the club competition rewards unlock for everyone a couple of weeks after each competition ends. That makes the competitions feel a little pointless, but at least you won't be permanently locked out of stuff.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Silentgoldfish posted:

Some of the legendary outfits are randomly unlocking for me. I've not joined any of the multiplayer. Has anyone else noticed this?

Club competitions let you get the item for free and exclusice acess with it for w weeks.

Otherwise idle for a few hours and wait 2 weeks to buy it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Is it even possible to get the full Legendary Napoleon outfit? Almost every item is locked behind the club stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like the hood on the Napoleon outfit, but I think some of these coats are too functional. I'm playing "dude jumping on buildings + really long jacket simulator," not "sensible period-appropriate shirt simulator."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I especially dig the look of the chest piece, badass:

I guess I'm never unlocking that poo poo but well done on the outfit design Ubi.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Are there still active goons on PC? I'm trying to do the tournament coop mission but it's impossible to find a public game of it and the obstacle course is crazy difficult alone, anybody would be up for it in the next couple of hours?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm locking in right now for about an hour.

(JWRK)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe I'm just missing something but I can't figure out the puzzle in Dead Kings with the plates and torches, the one in the tomb with the ghost.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Maybe I'm just missing something but I can't figure out the puzzle in Dead Kings with the plates and torches, the one in the tomb with the ghost.
Is that the one where the camera locks in place? I only solved it through trial and error. Instructions did pop up saying to use the lantern to look for clues but either there was some glitch or I somehow missed it because I sure didn't see one.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

muscles like this? posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of I also did it by trial and error and ending up with no idea what I did right, but looking at a walkthrough apparently you have to light the torches in the shape of a cross

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

J-Spot posted:

Is that the one where the camera locks in place? I only solved it through trial and error. Instructions did pop up saying to use the lantern to look for clues but either there was some glitch or I somehow missed it because I sure didn't see one.
You light the torches randomly at first and the signs on the walls light up showing you what the proper combination should be when you light them again (one of the lanterns only lights up 1 sign - that's where you start, then you light up the next pair that includes that 1 sign and a new one, repeat). I do agree that it's not an obvious answer though and easily the hardest of those puzzles.

Also I finally did the tournament mission yesterday after a few days of trying to find a coop game for it. This will suck for people playing this title in a year as the coop missions were easily the best ones in the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of co op, I have no idea why "Moving Mirabeau" is ranked at the max difficulty when it is super easy and takes like 5 minutes to run through.

Also, something super annoying about Dead Kings is that they didn't put a place in that area to pick up your money so you have to waste time fast travelling back to Paris.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The idea of collecting money is really bad anyway and they should drop it. It was still annoying in Brotherhood. So I can pull out a magical shop out of my rear end in the middle of an empty field and buy myself weapons and armor but I can't get money for them remotely.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
The First Civ Scroll of Credit Card.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Palpek posted:

The idea of collecting money is really bad anyway and they should drop it. It was still annoying in Brotherhood. So I can pull out a magical shop out of my rear end in the middle of an empty field and buy myself weapons and armor but I can't get money for them remotely.

I'm assuming the reason they put the ability to buy weapons and armor anywhere was because you could use Helix credits, which are bought with real money.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Oh I forgot to mention that in addition to more kinds and colors and security levels of chests in the next game, I want them to all contain at least a half dozen different arbitrary fictional currencies because 3 different currencies was just lazy

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I would really like to have seen the CEO meeting where the production manager revealed his brilliant ideas for monetizing on the game.

'...and then the easier chests give you like 200-1000 in-game currency so you have to find a lot of them to buy the high-end gear so most of them will be hidden but you can buy a map of chest locations for this other currency bought with real money but then still some of the chests will remain closed unless you finish missions in the companion app where you need a different in-game currency that you can collect in the main game or buy with real money...'

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Palpek posted:

I would really like to have seen the CEO meeting where the production manager revealed his brilliant ideas for monetizing on the game.

I'd like to see the actual profits they made from said monetization.

I never felt compelled at any point to buy Helix points cause I was always swimming in cash from the cafe and creed points from just playing the game.

I'd be astonished if anyone actually bought Helix. Heck, there was a great article on Kotaku (I know...) where they bought 99 bucks (the max amount) of Helix and after unlocking everything, they still had 50 something dollars worth of Helix.

I worry that Ubisoft will double down on Helix for AC Victory and remove or neuter the cafe/base/tax system.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

PoshAlligator posted:

Assassin's Creed Victory: Assassin White Version, exclusive to Xbox One, and Assassin's Creed Victory: Templar Black Version, exclusive to PS4.

The only way to open all the chests is to trade between versions.

Also the PC version will be a preorder exclusive. The only way to obtain the PC version after release is to acquire it through microtransactions in the mobile app and/or the console version.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I noticed that I was getting a small amount of Helix points as I went through the game, and I have no idea where it was coming from. It was never very much, but I eventually got enough to buy all of the map unlocks with them, which is the only thing I ever would have wanted to use them for anyway. I know there's the one time uPlay reward to get Helix points, but there must have been something else in the game that rewarded them to you as well and I never figured out what that was.

Makes spending actual money for them even more pointless.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Just started playing this on the PS4, add Robotisize for some good times. I'm a Destiny deserter and I need a palette cleanse.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Snuffman posted:

I'd like to see the actual profits they made from said monetization.

I never felt compelled at any point to buy Helix points cause I was always swimming in cash from the cafe and creed points from just playing the game.

I'd be astonished if anyone actually bought Helix. Heck, there was a great article on Kotaku (I know...) where they bought 99 bucks (the max amount) of Helix and after unlocking everything, they still had 50 something dollars worth of Helix.

I worry that Ubisoft will double down on Helix for AC Victory and remove or neuter the cafe/base/tax system.

Ubisoft is a really scummy company, but I can't imagine a scenario where they would try this, especially after falling flat on their face with Unity. At least that's what the stupid idealist in me is saying.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That scenario is Assassin's Creed: Victory

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
One thing I don't understand is the club competitions. We were winning a lot of them very easily and now losing but I don't understand how we were doing either.

All in all I'm really disappointed. Assassins Creed 2 (and all of the sequels) were probably some of my favorite games to ever play. I enjoyed all of the stories, even part 3 and the Desmond stuff which NO ONE seems to like. I just don't like Unity as much and it's soured me so much on the series that I don't think I'll get any more.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I've preordered every AC game from Revelations - Rogue. (I started playing them after Brotherhood came out)

I definitely won't be preordering Victory.

If Ubisoft is losing even people like me who preordered AC4 after the trainwreck that was AC3 what hope do they have next year?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm finished with Unity. I did all of the missions except for the robberies which are just tedium with no reward. I didn't bother with collecting chests or cockades as their amount is ridiculous. I did collect everything in the DLC as it was easily doable. Overall the biggest shame are the outfits/weapons locked behind club competition that I just don't understand how to get. Do you have to take part in the competition every week so unlocking the Napoleon set and extra weapons will take like a month? If so then lol, it doesn't really matter anyway as I'm done.

I hope Ubi learns from this just like they managed to raise Black Flag from the ashes of AC3.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

I'm Do you have to take part in the competition every week so unlocking the Napoleon set and extra weapons will take like a month? If so then lol, it doesn't really matter anyway as I'm done.

Eh, it was a way to foster interest in the coop missions long after the release.

They would slow drip some top tier gear for like 5 or 6 months after the game was out. If you play the comp, you get a chance to get it for free.

Otherwise, the gear unlocks 2 weeks later so anyone can get it.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Palpek posted:

I hope Ubi learns from this just like they managed to raise Black Flag from the ashes of AC3.

It's always been like that--1 was underdeveloped and forgettable and 2 was kickass; 3 was dross and 4 was a party. Unity sounds like a slog but Victory will probably have all of its systems retooled and reiterated on with everyone's feedback plus another year's experience working with the engine.

Odd AC games should, at this point, be understood as full-priced betas for even-numbered ones. Even its writing sounds like a first or second draft.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The only problem with that pattern is how Brotherhood (and Revelations, to a lesser extent) break it as both were quite good.

Seems the best AC games are the ones that actually learn from their predecessors (Brotherhood, Black Flag, Rogue) rather than the ones where Ubi tries to somewhat reinvent the wheel (Unity, AC3.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's probably more productive to look at specific production schedules, resourcing and workflow information than try to map a narrative onto the general progression of the series.

• Locked thread