Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

muike posted:

also cnc is good and anyone hwo gets upset by it is retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dirt posted:

ITT angry poors yelling at dorks for buying guitars

even if you were a literal billionaire it wouldn't stop gibsons from being overpriced pieces of poo poo

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

buying a new instrument over an equivalent but cheaper used one is the definition of stupid music poo poo

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

New Gibsons.

If you can find a good used SG or LP or explorer or whatever for a decent price and you like the way it plays, there's no reason not to pick it up.

But poo poo if you're gonna spend what a new LP standard costs, why not go balls-out and just get a loving Teye or something?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

like others have said the only thing worth buying new is a custom guitar. thats it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Stux posted:

like others have said the only thing worth buying new is a custom guitar. thats it.

Or you could like, you know...Buy whatever the gently caress you want, and enjoy it.

I know it's hard for you guys to wrap your head around this, but maybe some people don't really give a poo poo about saving 15% off retail by buying used.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

lol also at smooth and easy to play when you're talking about a loving poly finish neck
Let's not forget what happens when you sit down with a Les Paul and all the weight is off your right thigh and the neck keeps trying to scar your face unless you hold it down just right.
Or how loving annoying it is to stabilize your picking hand or palm mute on a stop bridge on a carved top (two things real rock-n-roll guitarists never do).

I think they're gorgeous guitars and I respect their heritage, but gently caress if I'd ever spend Gibson prices to own one.

Let me tell you about my friend who works at Guitar Center who bought three LP reissues that were $3k guitars but all had the same neck-set problems. He sent them all back and gave up.

In short: gently caress Gibson.
In fact, I'm seriously disturbed by any music catalog I look at these days. If the materials, craftsmanship, and innovation were being applied to these $10k-$30k Stratocasters or $2.5-$4k Les Pauls, I'd say, "Hey, more power to 'em." Except they're not. You can build a parts guitar with a decent luthier for a tiny fraction of the price and it will play and sound better from day one until forty years from now when you have a re-fret done. And you won't feel loving raped.

I'm a well-known Ibanez fanboy but I still recommend Yamaha Pacificas to people just picking up guitar.

VVV Awesome post. On-point. VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 3, 2015

Dirt
May 26, 2003

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Possibly the worst thing posted in this thread, gently caress

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

that pickup config looks like a fat cat trying to fit into a tiny box

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dirt posted:

Or you could like, you know...Buy whatever the gently caress you want, and enjoy it.

I know it's hard for you guys to wrap your head around this, but maybe some people don't really give a poo poo about saving 15% off retail by buying used.

im not saying you can't, but i am saying you're a loving idiot if you do.

and it can be a lot more than 15% off retail, i always go on about it but you can pickup an RGA121 often (only doing this one cos i look for them) for 50% off what they cost new, and they aren't a production guitar anymore. you also have a poo poo ton more information about the guitar available buying an older model, its more likely to have been setup and sorted out (especially important with gibsons terrible QA) and its just a far better idea in every situation.

buying high end guitars new, at retail, is loving stupid, and forever will be.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

RGA121

I bought one really cheap from some idiot kid, yay.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

also cnc is good and anyone hwo gets upset by it is retarded

Yeah, I'd much rather my guitar be cut by a machine that's accurate down to 1000ths of an inch than by the same fuckups that can't even do proper fret work. The problem isn't the machines, the problem is the people themselves.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

This thread is a pretty good example of the uncanny valley.
Everything's just slightly too weird to be normal but not crazy enough to just be so stupid that it's funny.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I imagine it is the fault of this thread that these are showing up on my Amazon page.

:911:

I asked the seller what kind of guitar this was...
http://amzn.com/B00AP8389C
It is a Autographpros Signature Edition... Someone should start asking them a bunch of technical questions about the guitars.

Here is how they get the signatures. Christ. Just stopping people on the street with a handful of pickguards?

Poor Wille. No wonder a lot of people are wary of signing poo poo or charge for it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

sporklift posted:

Here is how they get the signatures. Christ. Just stopping people on the street with a handful of pickguards?

Poor Wille. No wonder a lot of people are wary of signing poo poo or charge for it.

Wait, if they just found him on the street somewhere, are we to assume they just carry pickguards wherever they go just in case?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

sout posted:

Wait, if they just found him on the street somewhere, are we to assume they just carry pickguards wherever they go just in case?

Probably. Have a couple of dudes hanging around hotspots in LA. Thing about the pickguards is they don't have to be specific to the person and are pretty easy to carry around.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Oh man. I posted this to a local guitarist-page on facebook where it sparked a borderline flamewar. About 50 replies in an hour.

I think I get trolling now. I didn't even have to say anything incendiary, the picture was enough.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
I think I've found the guitar of my dreams.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

IronLawnmower posted:

I think I've found the guitar of my dreams.

three pickups, no tone, no volume, straight into the wall

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

Yeah, I'd much rather my guitar be cut by a machine that's accurate down to 1000ths of an inch than by the same fuckups that can't even do proper fret work.

me too. i also wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for it though. maybe a grand if it's kinda fancy

W424
Oct 21, 2010

This rules, gently caress the haters. To shred on stage and give people who give a gently caress about guitars aneurysms.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Dewgy posted:

three pickups, no tone, no volume, straight into the wall

3 pegs and 4 strings. Can't explain that. Also the strings bending at a 45º angle.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

IronLawnmower posted:

3 pegs and 4 strings. Can't explain that. Also the strings bending at a 45º angle.

You've never heard of Tone-Bending?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pondex posted:

Oh man. I posted this to a local guitarist-page on facebook where it sparked a borderline flamewar. About 50 replies in an hour.

I think I get trolling now. I didn't even have to say anything incendiary, the picture was enough.
At least it's probably balanced and comfortable to play. Mostly.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stux posted:

even if you were a literal billionaire it wouldn't stop gibsons from being overpriced pieces of poo poo

This. I'm not a billionaire but i do have a gently caress load of money (I could buy a new system 55 right now) that I've used to buy instruments both new and used and anything above a grand makes me seriously look into if it's because it's extremely well made or if it's overpriced poo poo... like the $35,000 modular that I just mentioned.

I wouldn't buy an OP1 because I think it's overpriced, and I was planning on getting an A4 because it was the cheapest options to sequence an MS20 until the SQ1 came out and that was like $900 used vs. $100 for the SQ1. I also wouldn't drop a grand on a guitar unless it was ridiculously well made which new Gibsons aren't even close to being, or two grand on any instrument unless it was custom built for me and Gibsons sure as poo poo aren't.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Goontar idea: pickups that literally overlap. Unevenly. Maybe a floater neck over a soapbar? Plug it in and the feedback makes it sound like two industrial drill presses loving.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Stux posted:

im not saying you can't, but i am saying you're a loving idiot if you do.

and it can be a lot more than 15% off retail, i always go on about it but you can pickup an RGA121 often (only doing this one cos i look for them) for 50% off what they cost new, and they aren't a production guitar anymore. you also have a poo poo ton more information about the guitar available buying an older model, its more likely to have been setup and sorted out (especially important with gibsons terrible QA) and its just a far better idea in every situation.

buying high end guitars new, at retail, is loving stupid, and forever will be.

Oh man, I keep cruising them too. My local guitar shop has had the Crushed Ocean Blue whatever late model one on the wall since new. Fun to play, but I wouldn't pay $1100 for something like that.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The stupid music thread has become the stupid music purchase judgment thread.

I have a 2013 SGJ. It was cheap, it is stupidly light, it is fun to play. That said Gibson poo poo is overpriced, but it doesn't offend me if some Lawyer wants to spend 4k on a 'guitar that tunes itself magically'.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

Allow me to help, please.

There. All better.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
drat it faustus this isn't the stupid dog thread

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey!

That dog is cute. :3:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

TheChaosPath posted:

Possibly the worst thing posted in this thread, gently caress

Ok. I give up. What makes this terrible?

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Dirt posted:

ITT angry poors yelling at dorks for buying guitars

Can we just go back to posting pictures of ugly guitars?

This one is a Fender with an aluminium body:

I had one of these. Mine was a purplish swirl thing, not the patriotic one. It was released for the 40th anniversary of the Strat. God it was bad. I played it a few times and put it back in the case. I sold it a few years later for what I paid for it. I used to buy really overpriced gimmick guitars.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

I have a 2013 SGJ. It was cheap, it is stupidly light, it is fun to play

Sup xxJ brother. I bought a 2014 LPJ and tossed some good hum-sized P90s in it. One of my favourite sounding guitars and I'm not too worried about marking up a $600 guitar.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Clitch posted:

Ok. I give up. What makes this terrible?
It has all the features of a Les Paul but it's shaped like a Telecaster. A carved-top Telecaster.

It's actually probably pretty cool, except for the fact that it's a Les Paulecaster.

Dewgy posted:

drat it faustus this isn't the stupid dog thread
She is not stupid. I'd wager my next paycheck she's smarter than you are.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 4, 2015

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

Allow me to help, please.

There. All better.

From best to worst:
1. Kramer
2. Dog
3. (Semi-?) Hollow body
4. Natural Strat
5. Acoustic
6. Natural Ibanez
7. Floral JEM
8. Blue Ibanez
9. Red Ibanez
10. Green JEM
11. Bass
12. Double Pickguard acoustic

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

She is not stupid. I'd wager my next paycheck she's smarter than you are.

i just wanted to make that courage the cowardly dog joke actually :shobon:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i love faustus' dog for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Dr. Faustus posted:

It has all the features of a Les Paul but it's shaped like a Telecaster. A carved-top Telecaster.

It's actually probably pretty cool, except for the fact that it's a Les Paulecaster.

I own and love this.

• Locked thread