Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my favorite mermaid man is not in the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, what? Theon killing his own son is new to me.

It's a fan-theory thing that if true doesn't actually add anything in the story anyway :shrug:

Theon's already a pretty huge traitor-betrayer character without needing to be a kinslayer on top of that, and people in the books are even already CALLING him a kinslayer because as Eddard's ward he's close enough to Bran and Rickon's brother that he probably shouldn't kill them.

whatever7 posted:

So my favorite mermaid man is not in the show?

Uh Varys is in the show :confused:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

BillBear posted:

The ages really don't add up, the youngest is around Bran's age in the books and Theon arrived when he was around 10/11, about the time Bran was born.

There is the cloaked figure at Winterfell, that may be a hallucination/Tyler Durden, specifically and I think uniquely calling Theon a kinslayer though. And a 14 year old fathering a son, the burnt corpse of which is passed off as 2 years older than it is, falls well within the bounds of credulity for me.

Mostly I like the Theon as kinslayer idea because it adds to the Theon/Jaime parallel and adds tragic gravitas and I dig poo poo like that.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2015

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

In order to make anything Howland Reed would have to say (R + L = J) matter they'd have to (realistically unless they want even more poo poo to go the way of Jeor being Jorah's dad where they 'technically' mention it but half the audience didn't even pick up on it) they'd have to explain a poo poo load of stuff to make people understand. They'd need pie charts and an abacus and who knows what at this point.

Jon, it turns out Ned wasn't even your dad. Oh, who was? Rhaegar. Who the gently caress is that? We mentioned him once in the first episode and once in the third season. Oh. So who was his mom? Lyanna Stark. Who? Ned's sister we mentioned once in the first episode and once when Cersei is arguing with Robert! Oh. Uh why would Ned lie? Because of a prophecy! What prophecy? A prophecy we haven't mentioned! Oh...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Midnight City posted:

Jon, it turns out Ned wasn't even your dad. Oh, who was? Rhaegar. Who the gently caress is that? We mentioned him once in the first episode and once in the third season. Oh. So who was his mom? Lyanna Stark. Who? Ned's sister we mentioned once in the first episode and once when Cersei is arguing with Robert! Oh. Uh why would Ned lie? Because of a prophecy! What prophecy? A prophecy we haven't mentioned! Oh...
To be fair, the reason Ned lies is fairly obvious and has gently caress all to do with prophecy.

e: V

stev fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 3, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Midnight City posted:

In order to make anything Howland Reed would have to say (R + L = J) matter they'd have to (realistically unless they want even more poo poo to go the way of Jeor being Jorah's dad where they 'technically' mention it but half the audience didn't even pick up on it) they'd have to explain a poo poo load of stuff to make people understand. They'd need pie charts and an abacus and who knows what at this point.

I think Ned was lying because Robert probably would have murdered the poo poo out of Jon otherwise

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Lady Stoneheart still possible: http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/02/game-of-thrones-back-from-dead/

poo poo, debunked already. Hot scoop!

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah I know, I cut a portion out of it about Ned needing a reason to lie to Robert about it but didn't see what it was leading into again so just imagine it even more convoluted than that.

Now just imagine all that with Aegon added in when people were arguing with me he'd definitely be included in the show.

"Oh who's this kid?"
"Dany's brother everyone thought was dead!"
"Oh the one who Jorah talked about"
"No, this is her second brother she never met that was supposed to have died!"
"............"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Remember when IMDb had 50 Cent playing Epona in Zelda: Twilight Princess?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Steve2911 posted:

Wait that wasn't 50 Cent?

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Does R+L=J really even matter that much anyways? Most people just fantasize about him marrying Daenerys(because if there is one thing ASOIAF readers talk with way too much interest about, it's incest) and then becoming king of Westeros. But Jon isn't ever going to abandon his post at the watch. He takes honor pretty seriously and it would take a giant change in his basic character to make him change his mind. I'm pretty not even sure that being stabbed by the men of the watch wouldn't do it. I guess it depends on how well GRRM writes the coming Jon Snow chapters; but I still don't see him leaving his post ever. Even if he is legitimized at some point.

loquacius posted:

It's a fan-theory thing that if true doesn't actually add anything in the story anyway :shrug:

Wouldn't killing his son be pretty close to fulfilling the Nissa Nissa portion of the prophecy? It's just people coming up with more ways that various people can be AA. Born amidst salt and smoke: Pyke burning next to the sea before Theon's capture where he essentially was born again as a new person? And Thoros probably took wounds in pyke, a bleeding red star?(priest?) Killed his child a loved one(?) like Nissa Nissa. Was disfigured by a horrible wound: eg minus a dick and a few fingers.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Yes R+L=J matters. I'm going to quote myself here:

Mortabis posted:

That was clearly planned in advance. Let's work through the steps here:

- Howland Reed is the only man alive who knows that Rhaegar and Lyanna are Jon Snow's parents
- King Robb legitimized Jon Snow and made him his heir, entrusting that knowledge to Maege Mormont who is currently chilling with Howland
- Howland Reed therefore presumably knows that Jon Snow is a) the son of Rhaegar, b) legitimized, therefore making him not Jon Snow but Jon Targaryen, last living son of Rhaegar and heir to the Iron Throne
- Unfortunately Jon Snow Targaryen can't inherit that title because he is a brother of the Night's Watch and serves for life
- Conveniently, Jon Snow has "died" and is soon to be revived by Melisandre, thus ending his NW obligations, making him eligible as soon as he gets the scoop from Howland.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
All knowing Vary will be traveling the country side with Tyrion for a few episodes. This gives him plenty of time to casually mention Rhaegar falling for Lyana.

Tyrion: something about Oberyn avenging his sister and her love for Rhaeger.
Varys: something about Rhaegar's love for another, hinting of a Lyanna/Rhaegar romance.

Hell, Barriston could even know something about it. Everyone acts like Howland Reed is the only person that could possibly know that Rhaegar knocked up Lyanna. He's probably the only one who knows that baby lived and is now hooking up with Wildling redheads up at the wall though.

The point I'm trying to make is there are plenty of ways they could add hints to Jon's parentage without force feeding the audience. I think if it is relevant in the long run (which it most certainly will be) we may start seeing hints in the show this season.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Midnight City posted:

They'll do it via Bran in Season 6, probably.

Also, eh. Remember how they did 'Only Cat'. By relating it to living characters. So:

'Hey, Jon, turns out that you're the son of Dad's sister and that chick Daenerys' brother. They hitched at one point, but decided to keep it secret because he was married and she was engaged. Funny that, no?'

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
None of the slow-only people I know think that Ned is really Jon's dad, so they are just waiting for something to be revealed.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Mortabis posted:

I agree it'll (probably) matter in the books but not for the show, if it were they would've/should've mentioned it by now, but even though it's a lot of illogical crap like anybody believing Howland Reed it makes me laugh that pure loving happenstance is a better plan than anything Doran Martell could come up with.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lycus posted:

None of the slow-only people I know think that Ned is really Jon's dad, so they are just waiting for something to be revealed.

The show only people I know stopped caring about that two or three years ago.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Midnight City posted:

I agree it'll (probably) matter in the books but not for the show, if it were they would've/should've mentioned it by now, but even though it's a lot of illogical crap like anybody believing Howland Reed it makes me laugh that pure loving happenstance is a better plan than anything Doran Martell could come up with.

Yeah I think Howland won't be the one to reveal it. No one, especially not the Starks & Jon will believe some tiny dude who lives in a bog blabbing on about how Jon is really the son of Rhaegar. I bet they will find out by Bran telling them after he sees something.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How did Lynanna die anyway? I remember she was dying when Ned found her, but were there any details about what actually happened? Was it some sort of injury during a fight, like with Myrcella, or was it illness?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Childbirth

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Mountain broke a weightlifting record described in Icelandic folklore:

quote:

“The record has been described in Icelandic Saga book,” said Kinnunen. “The legend of the Icelander Orm Storulfsson says that he walked three steps with this MONSTER WOODEN LOG which weighed over 650kg and was 10 m long! It took 50 mere mortals to help him placing it on his back! After he took his third step, his back broke under the enormous pressure and he was never the same after that!

“Thor carried the 650kg and 10m log for 5 steps. The result was unbelievable and puts Hafthor Julius Bjornsson’s name in Viking history books,” said Kinnunen.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mortabis posted:

I just want to know if Melisandre have sex with give birth to Jon's ghost baby.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 3, 2015

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

That might be the most metal thing I've ever heard

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why would R+L=J not matter it's like the one thing gurm cared about asking D&D when they went to him about the series

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Why would R+L=J not matter it's like the one thing gurm cared about asking D&D when they went to him about the series

It could just be a barometer of if they've closely read, or at least read discussion about, the books.

If R+L=J is going to matter then Howland Reed becoming the power in King's Landing and revealing the truth when Dany takes the city is pretty much the most organic way to do it. The reveal can't come from Robb's will in the north because that would step on Davos and Manderly revealing Rickon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dany wont 'take' King's Landing. She'll either burn it to the ground as soon as she arrives or attempt to take a less lovely seat of power.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Vitamin P posted:

It could just be a barometer of if they've closely read, or at least read discussion about, the books.

If R+L=J is going to matter then Howland Reed becoming the power in King's Landing and revealing the truth when Dany takes the city is pretty much the most organic way to do it. The reveal can't come from Robb's will in the north because that would step on Davos and Manderly revealing Rickon.

This isn't really true.

1. Robb's will is on paper, and Jon isn't actually Ned Stark's son so the legitimization as I stated above actually makes him Rhaegar's heir.
2. Connecting the dots between Rhaegar kidnapped Lianna -> they had a kid isn't that hard. Everybody knows the war started because Lyanna was kidnapped.
3. Jon will probably have accomplished some sort of heroic feat by the time the story breaks which will make him an easy sell.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

Dany wont 'take' King's Landing. She'll either burn it to the ground as soon as she arrives or attempt to take a less lovely seat of power.

Where else is less lovely? King's Landing has symbolic power and presumably a decent larder of food, Casterly Rock and Highgarden would serve but would be a pain to get to, and anything to the north except the vale is a wreck.

And if Tyrion, bless him, is her advisor she's bound to aim for King's Landing because he overestimates its importance and because literally no one knows the defenses of the city better than Tyrion does, his vanity alone will insist she lands there.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

actually the best was S3s trailer by a wide margin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtkdje5OfY

This is the correct opinion.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steve2911 posted:

A lot of Dany's prophecy don't make sense to me, she has to keep going east ward to get to Westeros? How? Dany is going to circumnavigate the Middle Earth?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

There's call backs to R+L = J all the way back in the first two episodes of the series. Look at Sean Bean's acting in this scene. The look on his face and the quiver of his lip pretty much says it all. It makes him sad to think about Lyanna's death and all the poo poo he's been carrying and keeping secret for years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZPm20DdLM

It's one of the better and more satisfying mysteries of the series, and even though we've all figured it out, it's still going to be great to see when Jon Snow figures it out. It will be even better for show only people as they will have completely forgotten about it and will be completely blindsided by it once they connect the dots.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Did the show ever reveal Joffrey was the one to send the assassin after Bran?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
If Tyrion's vanity is a factor I think he'd sum for Casterly Rock first. It'd be a great "gently caress you" to Tywin. And if Victarion is a factor it would be pretty easy.

I seem to recall reports saying that we will eventually see either Highgarden or Casterly Rock in tWoW. That could be entirely made up by me, though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have nothing to back this, of course, and everything GRRM ever said denies it. But my pet theory is that GRRM got angry that the internet figured out R+L = J and changed the whole loving history to eliminate it.

That also explains Aegon (who is supposed to fill the role of the true Targaryen that is going to marry Dany). Even more: it explains why he got lost and cant seem to find a way to finish this story.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

How did Lynanna die anyway? I remember she was dying when Ned found her, but were there any details about what actually happened? Was it some sort of injury during a fight, like with Myrcella, or was it illness?

It hasn't been stated in any sort of detail, no, but Ned's flashbacks of her death feature blood. The main theory is childbirth, but could have been something else. It seems unlikely she was murdered though - Ned doesn't seem bent on revenge, and he's not the honour killing type, and it doesn't seem like Lyanna actually took part herself in the fight between Ned and the Kingsguard outside.

The Lyanna being pregnant theory also goes towards explaining why the Kingsguard members were with her rather than Rhaegar too.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have nothing to back this, of course, and everything GRRM ever said denies it. But my pet theory is that GRRM got angry that the internet figured out R+L = J and changed the whole loving history to eliminate it.

That also explains Aegon (who is supposed to fill the role of the true Targaryen that is going to marry Dany). Even more: it explains why he got lost and cant seem to find a way to finish this story.

I think he's said that fans have figured out mysteries in the books but he doesn't plan on changing them... though I cannot recall if that was an actual quotation.

I think this started a fight last time.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Steve2911 posted:

Who are Curtis' parents again?

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

whatever7 posted:

A lot of Dany's prophecy don't make sense to me, she has to keep going east ward to get to Westeros? How? Dany is going to circumnavigate the Middle Earth?

In the World of Ice and Fire it seems like it's accepted the world is round, but that no one has managed circumnavigation yet. Didn't one of the Targs try to do it on a dragon once? Maybe Dany will. And attack Casterly Rock while everyone's busy on the other side of the kingdom.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

frozenpeas posted:

So is Bronn going to get killed by Areo instead of that random Kingsguard guy?

No way. You're suggesting that:

Show Bronn=Book Arys Oakheart

and

Show Sand Snake(?)=Book Arianne Martell

There's no way that would work. Bronn would have sex with her once and wave her off saying, "Good luck with your coup!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

So It Goes posted:

Did the show ever reveal Joffrey was the one to send the assassin after Bran?

We don't know Joffrey was the one who sent the assassin, we just know Tyrion suspected him of it.

edit: And Cersei eventually

• Locked thread