Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PaintVagrant posted:

Even the odds (event, moves an attachment to another unit controlled by the same player)

Ah. I'm still not seeing how it's more horrifying than Shadowsun, where that ion rifle or stealth cadre will keep coming back, for free. Maybe if ethereals get more cool keyworded stuff, but for now Aun'shi seems pretty underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Armorbane ranged can create auto-bloodied/dead warlord situations, which can have a huge impact on where your opponent commits, etc. The threat of assassination, much like Ragnar, has an intangible power that has a lot of positive effects for you.

Agreed though that shadowsun is loving baller too. Tau are just awesome so far. The only issue is their reliance on draws, but they have such good command units...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

khazad dum seems to finally be off the boat and back in stock everywhere (for LotR)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gift of the Ethereals released today, copy/pasted spoilers from some guy on cardgamedb. Pardon the poor wording. C = cost S = shield

-SM: Know no fear 1C, 1S deploy action. Exhaust warlord. move 3 sm units from HQ to different planets
Crushing blow 0C, 1S reaction. after a sm unit damages a unit, deal 1 unpreventable damage to that unit

-AM: Mystic Warden. Army.0C 2Att 2Def. Forced reaction After battle ends sacrifice it
To Arms! 0C 2S. Action ready target support. Loyal
Honorifica Imperialis. Attachment. 2C 2S. Attach to an army unit, when at a planet with enemy warlord this unit gains armorbane and ranged. Loyal

-Orks: Mekaniak. Army 3C 2Att 3Def. Action: exhaust to ready ork support, then deal 1 damage to Mekaniak. Loyal 1Command
Goff big choppa. Attach 2C 1S. Attach to an army unit. Attached unit receives +2Att and armorbane
Ammo depot. Support. 1C. Action: exhaust this support to draw 1 Card if you have 3 or fewer cards

-Chaos: Rotten Plaguebearers. Army 2C 0Att 2Def. Action: exhaust to deal 1 damage to target unit. 1Command
Nurgling Bomb. 3C 1S. Combat Action: target a planet. For each non-nurgle unit its controller must deal it 1 damage or rout it
Throne of Vainglory. Support 3C. Action: exhaust this support to discard the top card of deck. If the discarded card's cost is 3+ put 2 cultists at HQ. Loyal

-DE: Sslyth mercenary. Army. 1C 2 Att 2 Def. Action: pay 2 resources to take control of this unit. any player may use this. 2Command
Despise. 0C 1S. Combat action: each player must sacrifice an Ally unit

-Eldars: Warlock Destructor. Army. 2C 3Att 4 Def. Forced reaction: after the deploy phase begins pay 1 resource or discard it. 1Command
Eldritch corsair. Army. 3C 2Att 3Def. +2Att while a warlord is present. 1Command
Foretell. 0C 1S. Interrupt: when a battle ability triggers, exhaust your warlord to cancel it, then draw 1 card

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 29, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

2 really solid combat units for eldar, which has honestly been my biggest problem with them so far, having wimpy units. Pretty sweet.

I cant seem to find it in the rulebook, does "moving from HQ" mean you arrive exhausted? or is that specifically only when you follow the warlord to a planet?

If its the latter, that new space marine event is loving bonkers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Rotten Plaguebearers affect any unit on any planet or just the planet they're at? Because if the former...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Rotten Plaguebearers affect any unit on any planet or just the planet they're at? Because if the former...

Same planet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Same planet.

Well that's disappointing. I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth playing now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

Well that's disappointing. I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth playing now.

Are you kidding me? Free damage sniping between attacks? You can use it to kill your opponents void pirates/rogue traders as well. Plus it's an action you can take in the deploy phase to eat up deployments so you can get better info on your opponents plays. With Zarathur it does 2 instead of 1, etc.

Orks got some really legit cards in this set though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

2 really solid combat units for eldar, which has honestly been my biggest problem with them so far, having wimpy units. Pretty sweet.

I cant seem to find it in the rulebook, does "moving from HQ" mean you arrive exhausted? or is that specifically only when you follow the warlord to a planet?

If its the latter, that new space marine event is loving bonkers.

That's only when a unit commits to a planet with the warlord from what I remember.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

S.J. posted:

Are you kidding me? Free damage sniping between attacks? You can use it to kill your opponents void pirates/rogue traders as well. Plus it's an action you can take in the deploy phase to eat up deployments so you can get better info on your opponents plays. With Zarathur it does 2 instead of 1, etc.

Orks got some really legit cards in this set though.

The fact that it can do damage when there's no combat is huuuuuuge.

It also has Super Ranged.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Preview is up for The Wastes of Eriador the first pack of the new cycle for LOTR. Shows a couple new Side Quests, which look they'll have really nice effects. Quest itself seems like it will have some sort of Day/Night mechanic, which could make a very location heavy scenario more interesting.

Big thing, however, is the introduction of a new trigger, Valour. The opposite of Secrecy, this will go off when Threat is over 40, but unlike Secrecy, instead of a straight cost reduction, Valour will be part of Actions and Reactions, so those can only be triggered when the threat is over 40. Hopefully they'll keep it like in the example card, Honour Guard, where they still have a useful ability without Valour, but if your threat does get that high, you'll get a big boost to help close out the game. Looking forward to it!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Valour looks dope but I wish they would finish making Secrecy viable first.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The first Angmar Awakened Adventure Pack details!
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5346
Includes a new keyword Valour - triggers when you have 40 or more threat. Its the opposite of secrecy haha.
More Hobbits expected :D

E: Sob. They do say at the bottom that the packaging is changing. That means my method of cutting the box to use a card separator probably wont work anymore :(

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 30, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My Amazon shipment got stuck in customs for an entire month so I got all my money back. :toot:

So, until my President goes out in 2015 and hopefully custom law changes, I've decided to check out some other stuff in the FFG LCG catalogue. Is LOTR too cumbersome/hard to teach for a group of two-three people? Is there anything else like it out there? I dig the idea of a cooperative card game.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Azran posted:

My Amazon shipment got stuck in customs for an entire month so I got all my money back. :toot:

So, until my President goes out in 2015 and hopefully custom law changes, I've decided to check out some other stuff in the FFG LCG catalogue. Is LOTR too cumbersome/hard to teach for a group of two-three people? Is there anything else like it out there? I dig the idea of a cooperative card game.

I don't think it's too hard to teach. There's a lot of resources online that can aid in learning/teaching. I'd say the most comparable game is Sentinels of the Multiverse, which I consider a much simpler version of the cooperative card game. Different theme, and no deck building.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Azran posted:

I haven't done this myself, but you might try playing around with it in OCTGN? I don't think it's too hard to teach, but it really benefits from having some buddies you can play it with consistently, imo, even if you're the one doing most of the deck building. But you can play it solo too, which is nice if it doesn't appeal to your group. It's pretty fun to test deck ideas against the quests

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I haven't done this myself, but you might try playing around with it in OCTGN? I don't think it's too hard to teach, but it really benefits from having some buddies you can play it with consistently, imo, even if you're the one doing most of the deck building. But you can play it solo too, which is nice if it doesn't appeal to your group. It's pretty fun to test deck ideas against the quests

I play LOTR LCG almost everyday on OCTGN.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

mongol posted:

Yeah, been doing some solo games on the Mirkwood quest to see how it plays. It's interesting, but goddamn there are so many phases and I constantly realize I skipped over some important stuff. :downs:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Azran posted:

Yeah, been doing some solo games on the Mirkwood quest to see how it plays. It's interesting, but goddamn there are so many phases and I constantly realize I skipped over some important stuff. :downs:

My buddy and I are hoping to start playing on OCTGN too. His wife is expecting and it is just much easier to not setup a whole card game with a child haha.

Also the latest Cardboard of the Rings podcast has an interview with the designer of LOTR LCG Caleb, super interesting. http://cardboardoftherings.com/

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ChiTownEddie posted:

My buddy and I are hoping to start playing on OCTGN too. His wife is expecting and it is just much easier to not setup a whole card game with a child haha.

Also the latest Cardboard of the Rings podcast has an interview with the designer of LOTR LCG Caleb, super interesting. http://cardboardoftherings.com/

I really enjoyed that interview, definitely worth the 3 hours.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Is it worth setting up a Google spreadsheet for OCTGN usernames? I'd love to play games there, at least when I'm not playing hearthstone.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Is it worth setting up a Google spreadsheet for OCTGN usernames? I'd love to play games there, at least when I'm not playing hearthstone.

Well, there's one for Netrunner already. Depending on crossover, it might be best to just keep using that list and add what else people play on it. Might be better to make an irc chat room for everyone to hang out and organize online games, though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, I agree on the latter. Though both could be useful.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My Khazad Dum expansion finally arrived! Been waiting for that poo poo forever, finally get to die in the depths of Moria with my dwarven brothers. Now I just need them to print two of the Dwarrowdelf cycle expansions and the Steward's Fear :negative:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My Khazad Dum expansion finally arrived! Been waiting for that poo poo forever, finally get to die in the depths of Moria with my dwarven brothers. Now I just need them to print two of the Dwarrowdelf cycle expansions and the Steward's Fear :negative:

Dwarrowdelf cycle should be available really soon, it is in the "shipping phase"!

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
They are really nailing it with these packs for Conquest. I feel like every warlord is pretty viable and interesting, which is far more than I can say for IDs in Netrunner. I'm really excited to see where the game goes from here.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

mongol posted:

By the way, in OCTGN, how do you search for cards in the encounter deck? Like the Anduin core quest, where it asks you to search for the Hill Troll.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 4, 2015

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Azran posted:

By the way, in OCTGN, how do you search for cards in the encounter deck? Like the Anduin core quest, where it asks you to search for the Hill Troll.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Just in case anyone else is wondering. Under the global tab, click on the deck, right click, select look at... > all cards, then you can take whatever cards out and there's a "Close and Shuffle" button.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

mongol posted:

Two or three of us play LOTR (and Star Wars, Doomtown and Mage Knight) on iPad too. Good way of testing decks and being able to play while sitting on the couch. Is a little more work initially than octgn, though, and online play isn't problem free (I guess I am saying you should try octgn first :) )

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 4, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

Two or three of us play LOTR (and Star Wars, Doomtown and Mage Knight) on iPad too. Good way of testing decks and being able to play while sitting on the couch. Is a little more work initially than octgn, though, and online play isn't problem free (I guess I am saying you should try octgn first :) )

How do you do this? Also, I wonder how well splashtop or one of the other vnc things would work for playing OCTGN on iPad..

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Since there seems to be some support for the idea, I've created #lcgoons on synIRC. I'll be in there most of the day, though I won't be able to play any games. I'll also add this info to the OP.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How do you do this? Also, I wonder how well splashtop or one of the other vnc things would work for playing OCTGN on iPad..

I'm assuming they're using Card Warden. It's a lot of upfront work. I've tried, but gave up after a little while.

I've tried splashtop to use OCTGN, and it's ok. You can't use any of the keyboard shortcuts, so it's significantly slower.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hey Conquest players, can you recommend me two good starter decks for a demo game (x3 Core)? Thanks.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What spheres would you use if you were going to play the Mirkwood cycle with Mirkwood cycle player cards and three players? I have 2 core sets and every expansion, have been playing 2 player so far and haven't built any 3 player decks.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What spheres would you use if you were going to play the Mirkwood cycle with Mirkwood cycle player cards and three players? I have 2 core sets and every expansion, have been playing 2 player so far and haven't built any 3 player decks.

Whatcha mean? Are you making three single sphere decks? If so, I'd probably leave out Lore myself...but you can probably build 3 two sphere decks just fine...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not sure exactly, I normally just play 2 decks with 2 spheres each. Probably considering two single sphere decks and one double sphere deck. I'm thinking about just using Mirkwood cards so that i can add cards as we go, but maybe I should just go whole hog with some themed decks. Going to be introducing the game to a couple new players so waffling between slowly introducing them cards versus making really solid decks for them.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hah I haven't had to introduce anyone...maybe make a combat deck (mono tactics or 2 tactics and a lore\spirit to help with threat), middle ground deck of mostly leadership, and a support\tricks deck (spirit splash lore) for you to play. That way the two other decks are mostly Do Stuff in nearly mono sphere and you can fill in the gaps?

E: something like Boromir/Thalin/Legolas, Aragorn/Theodred/Denethor, and Eowyn/Eleanor/Beravor maybe (just looking at the heroes.....)

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 5, 2015

Tengama
Sep 6, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If you are looking for hero spreads and not unlocking cards as you go I would say go with something like if you want each deck to have 2 spheres to play around with.

Dain - Thalin - Gimli

Eowyn - Denethor - Beravor

Aragorn - Theodred - Legolas

This would give all 3 decks an Attacker, a Defender and a decent opening questing power (9 with just starting heroes and includes Aragorn/Theodred Combo and the potential for more progress with Legolas) plus it would allow dwarf synergy to get a bit more bang out of allies. Problem is you won't have access to Eleanor this way but it gives you much better stats overall to deal with problems that come up and the attack power of the middle deck is a little low since it would be relying on Beravor as an attacker but the third deck gets Legolas to help with that in early game.

If you want mono-sphere decks to team up with a dual sphere deck then you can go with:

Eowyn - Frodo - Dunhere

Imrahil - Aragorn - Theodred

Lore and Tactics get Kinda screwed when Mono-sphering in the first cycle due to a lack of offensive or questing power but for Tactics at least you can do something like:

Brand - Legolas - Boromir

and that gives you 2 Ranged heroes to play around with and Brand has 2 willpower so he can contribute a little bit during the questing phase and Boromir is an Offensive and Defensive powerhouse if you have Gandalf and Spirit cards to help keep it from threating out.

Lore is Kinda tough to work with since their hero selection at that point isn't terribly grand, but if you wanted to team it with the tactics deck above to handle offense for it you could go with something like:

Glorfindel - Beravor - Bilbo

Use Beravor as your defender and Glorfindel as your quester and use Bilbo to initiate attacks for the Tactics Ranged people to join in on and if Beravor was used to defend you can then use Brands ability to ready Him and make use of his card draw. Beravor only has 2 def though so he will need burning Brand and maybe 1 or 2 of the Dunedain Warnings from the dual sphere to up his def.

Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
How do I deal with the drat hill trolls in the second quest in the main LoTR set.