Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Taffer posted:

What version are you on? Someone was just having the same issue on Progress with the latest update.

Hah. Fun fact, I'm actually running the Progress server pack as single player (Because your pack is awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I just reset my Morepower II test server, and made a new Stargate themed setup, Disabled Ink Mixers and binders but admined in some Worlds and installed stargates on them with the SGC gate being powered.

I am looking for people to test the pack and suggest tweaks etc to make it better,.

The pack has

Tinkers construct + Iguana Tweaks
Mekanism
MFR
AE2
Buildcraft
IC2
Advanced Generators
Pneumaticraft
Ultratech
Ender IO
Thermal Expansion
Extra utilities
Tinkers Mechworks (Drawbridges)
voxelmaps (as liteloadermod so sometimes doesnt work)
Galacticraft + Mars/Asteroids

its on Technic and the server ip is in the pack.
(If anyone wants the server setup mail me and I will pack up the server for you)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I just reset my Morepower II test server, and made a new Stargate themed setup, Disabled Ink Mixers and binders but admined in some Worlds and installed stargates on them with the SGC gate being powered.

I am looking for people to test the pack and suggest tweaks etc to make it better,.

The pack has

Tinkers construct + Iguana Tweaks
Mekanism
MFR
AE2
Buildcraft
IC2
Advanced Generators
Pneumaticraft
Ultratech
Ender IO
Thermal Expansion
Extra utilities
Tinkers Mechworks (Drawbridges)

its on Technic and the server ip is in the pack.
(If anyone wants the server setup mail me and I will pack up the server for you)

I am not sure why you have all those roughly-equivalent tech mods. What does pneumaticraft have going for it, anyway?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I am not sure why you have all those roughly-equivalent tech mods. What does pneumaticraft have going for it, anyway?

Security Terminal - it is a pvp server

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

TheresaJayne posted:

Does Galacticaft stuff still eat tick rate?

TheresaJayne posted:

if voxel maps is giving you issues try JOURNEYMAP or whatever the one the pairs with opis is called.

You defiantly want to disable salination plants and add a custom recipe for brine.

You may want to add custom recipe to bypass the world crafting crap and/or meteor stuff, or just steal the ones Taffer made.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Well well well. The Minecraft Modding community certainly is.. unique. While building my modpack I found that The Barrels Mod would crash the latest version of Forge. After checking the Forge crash logs and the mod's forum thread, I discovered that it was caused by a method name being changed between Forge versions (loadLanguageTable became mergeLanguageTable) and the mod developer had refused to put in the minimal effort to fix this and instead focus on updating his mod for 1.8. I figured trying to fix it myself couldn't hurt it anymore than it already was so I opened the mod JAR, found the class file that called that method, and altered the name of the method (and its prefixed length byte) in a hex editor. Works like a charm and nothing crashes now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Are there any modpacks out there that focus on being educational? I know a lot of kids play this and I've thought about doing something that focuses on electric cabling and how to set up household lamps and sockets. It's good basic information and could help kids who later transition to trade school or whatever. With some effort it could also integrate with various industry mods but I'd focus on running neutral and phased cables with a ground through a circuit box and proper use of fuses.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Demiurge4 posted:

Are there any modpacks out there that focus on being educational? I know a lot of kids play this and I've thought about doing something that focuses on electric cabling and how to set up household lamps and sockets. It's good basic information and could help kids who later transition to trade school or whatever. With some effort it could also integrate with various industry mods but I'd focus on running neutral and phased cables with a ground through a circuit box and proper use of fuses.

I don't think anything out their right now is using anything like AC current, a grounding mechanic, or fuses. Gregtech is likely the closest with it having both voltage and amperage and mechanics the punish you for using too much or too little of either. However it is still really gamely and I am not sure it could be use to teach more than that voltage and amperage are things that can matter.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hagop posted:

I don't think anything out their right now is using anything like AC current, a grounding mechanic, or fuses. Gregtech is likely the closest with it having both voltage and amperage and mechanics the punish you for using too much or too little of either. However it is still really gamely and I am not sure it could be use to teach more than that voltage and amperage are things that can matter.

Ideally it would function as a quest package, similar to Agrarian Skies, where you spawn a scenario with a setup that has various faults or blown fuses and you have to find the faults and fix them and progressively unlock more tools and advanced missions. Voltage and amperage would be advanced concepts requiring the use of a multi-meter to identify broken connections or low current.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Security Terminal - it is a pvp server

I was wondering what some of these other tech mod packs are all about. Is there anything else novel in there that isn't easier in other packs? I keep wandering into its peculiar plants in the overworld and haven't figured out what the whole deal is about. I also kind of wondered about stuff like Hydraulicraft.

Has anybody tried using Progressive Automation? At first, I was really liking the miner because it would get me resources while I wasn't actively mining. However, it looks like there isn't a range upgrade other than the +4 upgrade that costs a nether star. Seriously, come on. I should request a +1 range upgrade, but they'll probably make it involve something pissy like a diamond. I also would have been quite happy if I could make the thing dig cobblestone too. I am in short supply for cobblestone in the early game when I'm not playing to mine.

Is there an automated miner in a 1.7.10 pack that doesn't involve diamonds nor nether resources? I kind of wish somebody had something like RotaryCraft's sonic borer, but without the RotaryCraft. I always thought the placement of that machine in the device chain was perfect. It required some prior technical resources and some advancement, but not to the point where the machine was not really useful. It also required some tact in using it well, which was an interesting challenge.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Dumb question time. In Ender IO how do I charge an item? I empowered some of my stuff and can't seem to find a charging station or anything.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Saxophone posted:

Dumb question time. In Ender IO how do I charge an item? I empowered some of my stuff and can't seem to find a charging station or anything.
Stick it in one of the slots in a capacitor bank. Or hook up a wireless charging station.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

However, it looks like there isn't a range upgrade other than the +4 upgrade that costs a nether star. Seriously, come on. I should request a +1 range upgrade, but they'll probably make it involve something pissy like a diamond.
There is a +1 range upgrade, there is one for each tier (wood, stone, iron...) and you can configure how much of an upgrade it give you (in the config) and they stack.

I think the first one is just redstone dust surrounded by 8 logs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I could just be suffering from some form of blindness, but does anyone has a modlist for the current Resonant Rise release candidate? I can't seem to find it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I could just be suffering from some form of blindness, but does anyone has a modlist for the current Resonant Rise release candidate? I can't seem to find it.

http://www.atlauncher.com/pack/resonantrise

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I have been a long time out of the modding scene. When I left bukkit was the thing, is that still in flavor? Is there a new system for loading mods? The information out there seems a bit nebulous.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Big Reactors question, sort of: I know it is possible to write a Computer Craft program (or something) which is capable of regulating the fuel rods so that your reactor cranks out enough power to keep you net positive, without going full throttle all the time. The question is, is there any benefit or point to doing so over the much simpler "turn on the reactor at full power when juice gets below X, turn it back off when it gets above Y"?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

MechaCrash posted:

Big Reactors question, sort of: I know it is possible to write a Computer Craft program (or something) which is capable of regulating the fuel rods so that your reactor cranks out enough power to keep you net positive, without going full throttle all the time. The question is, is there any benefit or point to doing so over the much simpler "turn on the reactor at full power when juice gets below X, turn it back off when it gets above Y"?

You can do this with 2 rednet ports. Set the control rod % to the % full of the buffer.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bigperm posted:

There is a +1 range upgrade, there is one for each tier (wood, stone, iron...) and you can configure how much of an upgrade it give you (in the config) and they stack.

I think the first one is just redstone dust surrounded by 8 logs.

I had thought those were for something else. Yeap, that boosted my range. One could set up a respectable operation with those things!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Hagop posted:

I had plans of making a mod that had Low voltage DC and High Voltage AC

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Taffer posted:

If you're running a server you should definitely get server-tools and cauldron though.
Where do you even get Cauldron these days?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

fondue posted:

Where do you even get Cauldron these days?

i have a super secret link :)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are there any good 1.8 mod packs or are all the mod packs still 1.7?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Knifegrab posted:

Are there any good 1.8 mod packs or are all the mod packs still 1.7?

I think Forge only recently came out for 1.8, so I doubt that many mods have moved over yet. 1.7.10 modpacks are relatively recent.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Is there anything I can do about lovely lag in 1.7? Even lightweight modpacks and minimum graphics settings don't help. Don't have any problems with light to moderate modpacks on 1.6.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

taiyoko posted:

Is there anything I can do about lovely lag in 1.7? Even lightweight modpacks and minimum graphics settings don't help. Don't have any problems with light to moderate modpacks on 1.6.

Lag as in block lag (as in weird latency issues where there is a delay between what you do and when it actually happens?) Or lag as in general performance issues?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
If it's terrain generation lag, make sure you're using Forge build 1272 or above, as that's when an important performance fix for world gen went in.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Did the maker of SkyDen ever make a successor to it, or is there anything more recent like it? I've always wanted to try it, but from what I understand it's pretty outdated by now.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Lag as in single digit fps pretty much constantly, slightly better if I wait a minute or so on world load, but pretty soon back to unplayable poo poo as soon as I move at all. If it is the terrain gen bug, how do I install a different forge version into a ftb or technic pack? Just copy everything over into a multimc instance?

Edit: Testing in a multimc instance, with Forge v. 1300 for 1.7.10, I'm still getting 1-2 fps with 44 mods. I thought it might be because Optifine was included in the pack, disabled it, no improvement. That's also with all graphics settings set to fast and 2 chunk render distance.

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 4, 2015

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There was some work on the successor, Sea Den, but there were some mod issues + actual life stuff getting in the way

Maybe it's time to ask for the story again from Syrup

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

taiyoko posted:

Lag as in single digit fps pretty much constantly, slightly better if I wait a minute or so on world load, but pretty soon back to unplayable poo poo as soon as I move at all. If it is the terrain gen bug, how do I install a different forge version into a ftb or technic pack? Just copy everything over into a multimc instance?

On FTB you can edit the pack.json in the modpack directory to point towards a different version of forge. You will then have to put that version of forge into the directory it will be looking for. I tried doing that with Impact Flux and it just crashed on launch, but it works in FTB Resurrection. There seems to be some other weird lag in Resurrection though. I blame greg.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus, how do people play without TMI's magnet mode on? poo poo's a godsend, it eliminates the tedium of having to climb up stuff to knock out blocks that something fell on, having to worry about blocks below you falling down when you break them, or hunting around in grass for an item that fell, etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lots of mods add magnets. Ender IO, botania, falling meteors, and others I'm sure.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Lizard Wizard posted:

Did the maker of SkyDen ever make a successor to it, or is there anything more recent like it? I've always wanted to try it, but from what I understand it's pretty outdated by now.

The most "SkyDen-like" is probably Agrarian Skies, but be aware there's no actual NPCs, it does quests via the Hardcore Questing Mode book, but it's a decent pack. Just, well a bit grindy. If you try it, though, turn on KeepInventory as soon as you start.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Taffer posted:

Lots of mods add magnets. Ender IO, botania, falling meteors, and others I'm sure.

Well I mean, playing without magnet mode period.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I know, I just mean that most people prefer to use something that's in-world, rather than what's essentially an admin tool.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
witchery includes spells and brews to keep inventory or recover a past inventory and its the only mod I've seen that does this but gently caress me if I'm going to play without the command on anyway. (they're fairly late game anyhow

Oh, how it would be nice to be able to mod, as an Idea Guy i have Many Foolproof Brilliant Mod Ideas, and one of them was a mechanic that could be themed around item loss and have a progression between losing all items and keeping all items that would follow the players game's progress, with a pretty good solution at the diamond stage and a final solution post fortress. Maybe when I finish exploring the current mods I'm playing with, or much later when there's a 1.8 scene.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Acne Rain posted:

witchery includes spells and brews to keep inventory or recover a past inventory and its the only mod I've seen that does this but gently caress me if I'm going to play without the command on anyway. (they're fairly late game anyhow

Twilight has Charms of Keeping: keep one in your inventory. When you die it breaks but you keep the rest of your inventory. If you've got MFR/EIO you can make a mob grinder to produce and kill labyrinth slimes for slimeballs and charms.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alkydere posted:

Twilight has Charms of Keeping: keep one in your inventory. When you die it breaks but you keep the rest of your inventory. If you've got MFR/EIO you can make a mob grinder to produce and kill labyrinth slimes for slimeballs and charms.

Charms have three levels, and most of the ones you'll find will be level 1; you need level 3s to guarantee keeping your entire inventory. Each level crafts to the next at 4:1, so you'll need 16 level 1 charms to make a level 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lizard Wizard posted:

No. I had intended to make Sea Den part 2, but between all the technical issues Minecraft's giving me now, the current state of modding, and just real life things bearing down on me, I haven't really been able to work on it at all. Maybe someday, but it is not this day.

• Locked thread