Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone tell me how to make a Plague Doc useful? I had a level 3 Plague Doc that I had been dragging around and she died in this dungeon. I realized that I had all of her skills unlocked and only found one that I ever used (the back row stun). I went on to complete the entire dungeon without her and didn't miss her at all. Why would I want to bring a Plague Doc over someone that does a lot of damage or an Occultist for healing?

e: For everyone suffering from a Leper's low accuracy; stick with it. Their skills gain 5 accuracy with every rank, once you get up to rank 3 you stop missing all the time even without the accuracy buff. I also run mine with a Jester for Battle Ballad which is a party-wide speed/accuracy/crit buff.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Al Borland posted:

Well it also says january is when I should get my key. Its february now.

Also early access for BACKERS. IT never said mass public.

From the official twitter, Nomad was supposed to be for people who didn't want any part of Early access and the sometimes sweeping changes that occur. Contact backersupport AT redhookgames DOT com and they may manually force a tier upgrade. I only say may because I'm unaffiliated and I can't promise anything, and I haven't had to go through that channel.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kyrosiris posted:

I feel like dogpiling on people who expected EA to be Typical Early Access Garbage instead of, you know, a good polished game that isn't fully finished/debugged is pretty poor form, though, not gonna lie.

I think it's poor form to complain about not getting Early Access because you explicitly didn't pay for it because you assumed it would be Typical Early Access Garbage to be pretty poor form, but it's cool that the Devs are willing to meet people halfway. Not suggesting that's where this particular beef is coming from, but I bet a lot of 15 dollar tier backers will be complaining about that.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Al Borland posted:

I'm sorry I guess I"m used to a time where bullshit like paying to play for beta didn't exist. Had I known they were going to do that maybe I would have shelled out five more dollars instead of feeling jilted. like 3,200 other people.

Y know its funny cause its like what am I even getitng out of it extra? Jack poo poo.

I think there are ways to up the kickstarter reward among other things, so I would reach out to the devs. Either way, if the early access is this feature complete I can't imagine full release is far off.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think there are ways to up the kickstarter reward among other things, so I would reach out to the devs. Either way, if the early access is this feature complete I can't imagine full release is far off.

They've said second half of 2015. Expect 6 months of EA.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

notwithoutmyanus posted:

that sounds reasonable. I just wish I could get a response from them =/

TheBlandName posted:

From the official twitter, Nomad was supposed to be for people who didn't want any part of Early access and the sometimes sweeping changes that occur. Contact backersupport AT redhookgames DOT com and they may manually force a tier upgrade. I only say may because I'm unaffiliated and I can't promise anything, and I haven't had to go through that channel.

God why does everyone use twitter? The worst form of social media.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It's Early Access day 1, I doubt they'll get to you for a bit, honestly. It's not a huge team.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

S.J. posted:

It's Early Access day 1, I doubt they'll get to you for a bit, honestly. It's not a huge team.

Actually Day 4 I get what you guys are saying. I wasn't even aware that 50% of the game wasn't in yet. So yeah its fairish I guess. Just upsetting hopefully I can get a response and my game updated. I'm willing to throw more money at these guys.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Al Borland posted:

God why does everyone use twitter? The worst form of social media.

Because it's quick and easy and discoverable (even without an account)?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Kyrosiris posted:

Because it's quick and easy and discoverable (even without an account)?

You say that, but it also is the worst pile of poo poo ever. Let me break down the problems with twitter and honestly why it is terrible for get - (BEYOND CHARACTER LIMIT)

Absolutely terrible for delivering a message. Why they keep that limit is beyond me, and it is the reason why I will never use it. I simply refuse to speak like a retarded caveman more than I already do.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

clockworkjoe posted:

I wonder if leveling up stun attacks reduces effective stun resistance . I hope it does, because otherwise, it looks everything outside of straight damage dealing is going to be useless in the last dungeons. It seems like every monster is getting 50% or higher resistance on everything on veteran quests.

I think it actually shows the Stun Base Chance for each level when you hover, and at least up to 3 it doesn't go up. It might after that, but I haven't checked. So, yeah, trinkets are the best way to get a higher base chance.

EDIT: Or I could be wrong.

LizardBeam fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Justin_Brett posted:

So question, how intensive is this game? I have a modest video card but I'm pretty sure it goes up to Open GL 3.0. The store though, recommends 3.2 or higher - would that be a huge problem?

It's unplayably slow on my laptop that has a pretty crappy integrated graphics chip (GeForce 9200M GS).

Al Borland posted:

You say that, but it also is the worst pile of poo poo ever. Let me break down the problems with twitter and honestly why it is terrible for get - (BEYOND CHARACTER LIMIT)

Absolutely terrible for delivering a message. Why they keep that limit is beyond me, and it is the reason why I will never use it. I simply refuse to speak like a retarded caveman more than I already do.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Can anyone tell me how to make a Plague Doc useful? I had a level 3 Plague Doc that I had been dragging around and she died in this dungeon. I realized that I had all of her skills unlocked and only found one that I ever used (the back row stun). I went on to complete the entire dungeon without her and didn't miss her at all. Why would I want to bring a Plague Doc over someone that does a lot of damage or an Occultist for healing?

e: For everyone suffering from a Leper's low accuracy; stick with it. Their skills gain 5 accuracy with every rank, once you get up to rank 3 you stop missing all the time even without the accuracy buff. I also run mine with a Jester for Battle Ballad which is a party-wide speed/accuracy/crit buff.

I think Plague Doc's thing really is the double stun you mentioned. Plague Doc and Grave Digger are the only classes I find myself like "oh, this character can't really help this turn in any appreciable way". For the Leper, I've been running their single-target slash, Hew, the Intimidation(?) move that does a little damage and pushes back, and the self +ACC buff. He is actually pretty drat good, I use him as a second string tank when my Crusader is praying or in the sanitarium. I don't like Jester at all, though.

Also leveling up stun skills does increase the stun, easiest way to see this is with the Crusader's move. I think it gains 5 Stun per level.

Militantpacifist
Oct 17, 2010

Can anyone tell me how to make a Plague Doc useful?

I've been using mine as a Blight machine rather than a Stun-bot, and it's not huge numbers but it's not bad. When I've been running Veteran quests in Weald or Warrens I've been getting hit with so much Blight (5-9 damage per turn) that the ability to cure 2 party members is pretty nice. I found 2 of the +10% to Blight chance Rare trinkets within the first 10 weeks, so that might be the only reason I keep one around.

I only use it as a filler 3rd slot when my other classes are in the sanitarium or too stressed.

Plague Doctors and Grave Robbers are my least favorite classes so far.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Pretty much, but 140 characters is abysmally bad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Al Borland posted:

Look at you, articulating your opinion in only 49 characters.

As to the game, are there any hidden graphics options somewhere? The performance is surprisingly terrible for a 2D game.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
The thing is, Nomad tier was created later, on request, for people who wanted to get the game but weren't keen on the idea of playing a beta. So devs added an option that let you save 5$ as a KS brownie.

So to me it's kinda odd to see people who backed at 15$ complain about not getting the half-done game right now. Isn't this what they specifically tried to avoid?

Even so, pretty sure there was an option to throw in extra money shortly before EA began.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been able to make Grave Robbers useful. I don't have one in my party at the moment so I can't remember the names of the skills, but I take the two dagger tosses (single target and multi-target), the dash forward, and the move back while stunning a target. The dagger skills aren't super useful but I want her to be able to reach the back row if necessary. Her main thing is using the Dash to attack and move forward, then using the skill that stuns a target and moves her backward. You can drop one of the dagger throws for the dodge buff, but I haven't been too keen on using turns for buffs in this game and she seems to dodge a lot anyway.

Definitely not my favorite class, though. I think Jester/Occultist/Leper/Hellion has been my most solid party.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really take the time to make sure as close to 4 moves is usable from whatever slot I prefer my dudes in, though, so I kind of hate most of the moves that change their own party positioning. I could see if you use her in the first slot, and maybe a Crusader in the 2nd with Holy Lance, but otherwise all she does is gently caress things up for me. I really like her design, though. I usually run her with Pickaxe, the double dagger throw, the blight dart, and then whatever they happened to come with because the other moves are pretty bad.

One thing I will say is that she crits a lot, which can relieve Stress, so in a way she can support the team in that way.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I really love Occultist/Bounty Hunter because I can one-hit kill most anything that isn't size 2 on the first turn. Occultist marks, BH collects his fee. Quick and easy advantage in numbers.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Bounty Hunter owns. I run mine with the Collect, the Pull, Flashbang. I think my current one has the Mark as his other move.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

LizardBeam posted:

Yeah, they definitely need to work on the trinkets. Like I have a Highwayman only one that gives +Stun and Blight chance, -resist.

Highwaymen don't have any stun or blight skills.

I picked this up last night and the only thing that makes sense (other then tagging it with the wrong class) is that it has a chance to add those effects to any of his skills - but haven't tested it myself.

Speaking of odd descriptions, the Bounty Hunter's last two skills "Finish Him" and "Hook & Slice"
From the descriptions (of the first two levels at least), it seems "Finish Him" is strictly better then the last skill. Hits for more damage/crit, and from/to any position ("Hook & Slice" is from back ranks only).
The only difference I can find from the descriptions is "Hook & Slice" is considered Ranged rather then Melee, so would interact a bit differently with quirks. Is the tool-tip leaving something out, or is it just a skill that needs some attention? (haven't run Hook&Slice myself yet to see what exactly does)

Firstborn posted:

One thing I will say is that she crits a lot, which can relieve Stress, so in a way she can support the team in that way.

Seems like stunlock builds are the early game preference (due to resists later), and crit builds are the "gently caress yo lights, gently caress yo crazy poo poo, and most of all gently caress YOU" mid/late game option. Most of the targeted sanity recovery is too weak compared to building for crit and killing everything while also helping full party(ish) sanity.

Grave Robber with their huge dodge and crit *and* stun + reposition is a lot of fun with other classes that work well with shuffling. I've been tinkering with Crusader in the back two ranks, with Grave Robber and other support in the two middle ranks (sometimes Vestal in second to lead with -accuracy on heavy hitters) - has the bonus effect of making *surprise* shuffles not nearly as painful, and sometimes even advantageous. Kinda like running a rear ambush tank in tabletop dungeon crawls.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 3, 2015

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Speaking of odd descriptions, the Bounty Hunter's last two skills "Finish Him" and "Hook & Slice"
From the descriptions (of the first two levels at least), it seems "Finish Him" is strictly better then the last skill. Hits for more damage/crit, and from/to any position ("Hook & Slice" is from back ranks only).
The only difference I can find from the descriptions is "Hook & Slice" is considered Ranged rather then Melee, so would interact a bit differently with quirks. Is the tool-tip leaving something out, or is it just a skill that needs some attention? (haven't run Hook&Slice myself yet to see what exactly does)

Hook & Slice drags whatever it hits to the front of the enemy line

e: vvvv poo poo, he's right, disregard

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 3, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
No, I think he has does have 2 hook moves, and one just straight up does damage.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I'm a little salty because I backed this at $15 expecting usual half-assed early access shenanigans. Now that I see it's very polished I don't have other options to play except buying another copy - essentially it would be "better" if I didn't back it at all.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Solomonic posted:

Hook & Slice drags whatever it hits to the front of the enemy line

Hook & Slice is a damage move, there's a separate drag move.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Al Borland posted:

Thank goodness services like tweetlonger exist.

omeg posted:

I'm a little salty because I backed this at $15 expecting usual half-assed early access shenanigans. Now that I see it's very polished I don't have other options to play except buying another copy - essentially it would be "better" if I didn't back it at all.

Email 'em at backersupport@redhookgames.com and they can get you taken care of.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
How do you leave a dungeon? Do you have to be in a fight and hit the red flag thing to evac all the way out? Im in the entry way but dont see any way to go back to town.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

So is this a game your supposed to restart? It's week 8, I'm broke, and can't do anything but medium dungeons with rookies and a 1-2k gold budget. Do I just keep sending level 0's into the meatgrinder until I can scrouge up enough gold to put my A team through enough therapy to actually finish a level?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

How do you leave a dungeon? Do you have to be in a fight and hit the red flag thing to evac all the way out? Im in the entry way but dont see any way to go back to town.

If you want to leave the dungeon, hit the little abandon flag. If you've completed it, the flag turns into a little scroll with a wax seal on it.

Apple2o posted:

So is this a game your supposed to restart? It's week 8, I'm broke, and can't do anything but medium dungeons with rookies and a 1-2k gold budget. Do I just keep sending level 0's into the meatgrinder until I can scrouge up enough gold to put my A team through enough therapy to actually finish a level?

I have like 5 abandoned runs before I started to get the hang of it, know how much provisions I need, etc. If the therapy isn't significantly lowering your stress, you could upgrade those stations, I guess. I never have. I have like an A Team, then 6 jobbers who can shift around as needed. Even the short quests give 3k gold + whatever you find down there, and if they die, it's not a big. You could also cheese it and take a team of jobbers down, abandon mission, and thus advance a week to get your A Team back out of whatever they were doing.

It's also worth noting that as I leveled up my other dudes and got used to their skillsets, I realized there's quite a few of them that could sub in for the A Team if something stupid happened on a run and for some reason only 1 or 2 of them need to go pray or gently caress away their donkeybrains.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 3, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Apple2o posted:

Don't buy any provisions, get as far as you can and then flee. Fire all of those guys because they're too stressed to be helpful and they're still level 0. If you don't have 4 characters to send in, the wagon will have 4 new recruits. Once you have enough gold to buy a stack of food and a two stacks of torches (you can do less, but 2 stacks can keep your light fully topped off) you should be able to beat a level 1 medium quest with those guys and then you're back on the up-and-up.

Don't restart your save because you'd only be losing progress and having to re-do the tutorial.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I restarted and I feel like I broke the game. It's week six and I have a great roster of characters and 25k in the bank. I'm sure I'll lose my best guys on the necromancer though :v:

Edit: So apparently you can change your characters skill set while inside a dungeon.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This run was the only one I felt comfortable enough to rename my characters because I feel like they aren't going anywhere.

Changing their skills in a dungeon really helped me when I went to go try the x2 Crusader + Holy Lance thing and then realized neither of them had it equipped.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm trying a dungeon with both a Vestal and an Occultist now and nothing can get me below full hp :pwn: Vestal seemed pretty bad early on but they really pick up when you get their heals upgraded.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Vestal having the best stun helps, too. And it refills your torch. I also use judgment for damage/self healing and both heals. Group heal is more or less just to heal from death's door if multiple guys are about to die.Vestal is probably the best class, I recommend having 2 in your roster so they can alternate between your teams.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Muraena posted:

The thing is, Nomad tier was created later, on request, for people who wanted to get the game but weren't keen on the idea of playing a beta. So devs added an option that let you save 5$ as a KS brownie.

So to me it's kinda odd to see people who backed at 15$ complain about not getting the half-done game right now. Isn't this what they specifically tried to avoid?

Even so, pretty sure there was an option to throw in extra money shortly before EA began.

I don't get it either. I'm one of the people who backed at Nomad, and, in retrospect, I wish I'd gone higher, because this particular game looks amazing even at Early Access, and i want to play it right now.

But I'm certainly not gonna blame the makers for not giving me what I explicitly didn't pay for. There's an Early Access tier, after all.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't get it either. I'm one of the people who backed at Nomad, and, in retrospect, I wish I'd gone higher, because this particular game looks amazing even at Early Access, and i want to play it right now.

But I'm certainly not gonna blame the makers for not giving me what I explicitly didn't pay for. There's an Early Access tier, after all.

For what it's worth anyone who got it at Nomad, they've already noted that they'll happily take a $5 PayPal payment and bump you to early access keys if you contact them.

Tyler Sigman posted:

Hello $15 backers: If you'd like to upgrade, send $5 via PayPal to biz@redhookgames.com. Then email backersupport@redhookgames.com with your confirmation. We'll get you manually upgraded. Please be patient as we are currently inundated with requests, but we'll get it done! Thank you for your support.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
I just got the game an hour and a half ago. I watched a bunch of streams and read that starter guide on steam.

Managing stress seems beyond me. I capped out on stress on every character in my first three dungeons. Also, I kind of hate that being surprised can make your party just completely worthless, or so it seems. I went into the final room of a dungeon with a healthy party, got surprised despite being 93% torch, then got wrecked because every single character was in the worst spot imaginable. I don't know what I could have done differently there, but it sucks.

Other than that, the game seems awesome. I just wish I knew how to manage stress and avoid getting instantly wrecked by a fight that messes up my party order severely.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Try to fit a Jester in to your party. They have a buff that can be used every turn to remove a few stress from random party members (I use their Speed/Accuracy/Crit buff and the stress removal skill almost exclusively) plus a bunch of great campfire Stress Removal skills.

The other biggest thing is knowing how to interact with various objects. There are a lot of environment objects or roadblocks that add a lot to stress if you interact with them incorrectly. For example, avoid touching totems unless you have holy water to cleanse them and try to carry a shovel or two to get past blockages. I avoid bookcases too because my guys always manage to read an ominous passage and get a negative quirk as well as stress.

Beyond that, focus stress-inducing enemies in combat, and keep your torch topped off to minimize enemy crits. I find that going heavy on pure damage as opposed to debuffs/crowd control works better for me, fights are shorter (less stress added) and each killing blow removes some stress.

e: For Surprise Attacks or enemies that re-order your party, I'm leaning more towards taking movement skills wherever possible and melee characters that can hit from further back (like the AoE stab the Hellion gets which can hit from the third position back).

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006

Try to fit a Jester in to your party. They have a buff that can be used every turn to remove a few stress from random party members (I use their Speed/Accuracy/Crit buff and the stress removal skill almost exclusively) plus a bunch of great campfire Stress Removal skills.

The other biggest thing is knowing how to interact with various objects. There are a lot of environment objects or roadblocks that add a lot to stress if you interact with them incorrectly. For example, avoid touching totems unless you have holy water to cleanse them and try to carry a shovel or two to get past blockages. I avoid bookcases too because my guys always manage to read an ominous passage and get a negative quirk as well as stress.

Beyond that, focus stress-inducing enemies in combat, and keep your torch topped off to minimize enemy crits. I find that going heavy on pure damage as opposed to debuffs/crowd control works better for me, fights are shorter (less stress added) and each killing blow removes some stress.

e: For Surprise Attacks or enemies that re-order your party, I'm leaning more towards taking movement skills wherever possible and melee characters that can hit from further back (like the AoE stab the Hellion gets which can hit from the third position back).

Haven't been able to get a jester yet, but I am dropping my WD. Dude has 0 damaging abilities which can be frustrating for some fights.

What do you recommend I prioritize in town with my heirlooms/relics outside of the stage coach?

What about with my gold? The guide recommended not wasting gold early on the level 1 guys.

Edit: Thank you for all the advice.