Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gotcha thanks. I may as well rebase my TAGs then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I've come down with internet madness, I'm arguing with people over the importance of equal representation on an interenet forum on toy metal barbies.

gently caress.

dimi
Oct 15, 2014

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Depends if you're for or against imo.

I'm a little sad about link team stuff because i'd always imagined a squad running quickly and lobbing grenades before rounding a corner.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

It should really just be "a link team leader engaging in a Long skill gains no benefit from the link, and none of the link members participate in the skill, although they count as activating for the purpose of AROs." Then you could still have speculative grenade tosses without having to worry about 5-man suppressive fire.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

dimi posted:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

dimi posted:

I'm a little sad about link team stuff because i'd always imagined a squad running quickly and lobbing grenades before rounding a corner.
For it, I think fair representation in media is important.

lol

Signal posted:

It should really just be "a link team leader engaging in a Long skill gains no benefit from the link, and none of the link members participate in the skill, although they count as activating for the purpose of AROs." Then you could still have speculative grenade tosses without having to worry about 5-man suppressive fire.
What about Sup Fire? breaks the fireteam?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Signal posted:

dimi posted:

I don't think of Link Teams like a squad... I think of my whole "army" as a special ops unit, which is why it's ten-ish soldiers led by a Lt. I think of link teams like a group of people who are actually DNI mind-linked into a wireless cluster system and acting as a single mind, or at least having a very specific AR tactical overlay enabled that takes some Lt. mojo to flip back on if they decide to order one of the soldiers in the team to throw a grenade over a wall. When I think about what kinds of future weapon systems that are involved, maybe grenades don't disperse because they are only armed and detonate when they come within 1m of the intended target to avoid collateral damage? Since hackers can hack outside of LoF and there are spy satellites and everyone is throwing off continuous EM communications, your troops would know that someone is there, maybe with a wallhack-style icon showing up on their HUD. There is a godlike AI that uses churches to resurrect people, so I assume insane tech-level.

Does the link team all still activate for a single order? Now that they added command tokens and are allowing you to activate up to 4 dudes in a coordinated order with only expending a single order and a command token, so much of the order economy has changed that I'm not sure if link teams should work like you're thinking.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 3, 2015

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Miniature Market is offering 10x points on Infinity products until Friday, just letting y'all know.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

osirisisdead posted:

I don't think of Link Teams like a squad... I think of my whole "army" as a special ops unit, which is why it's ten-ish soldiers led by a Lt. I think of link teams like a group of people who are actually DNI mind-linked into a wireless cluster system and acting as a single mind, or at least having a very specific AR tactical overlay enabled that takes some Lt. mojo to flip back on if they decide to order one of the soldiers in the team to throw a grenade over a wall. When I think about what kinds of future weapon systems that are involved, maybe grenades don't disperse because they are only armed and detonate when they come within 1m of the intended target to avoid collateral damage? Since hackers can hack outside of LoF and there are spy satellites and everyone is throwing off continuous EM communications, your troops would know that someone is there, maybe with a wallhack-style icon showing up on their HUD. There is a godlike AI that uses churches to resurrect people, so I assume insane tech-level.

Does the link team all still activate for a single order? Now that they added command tokens and are allowing you to activate up to 4 dudes in a coordinated order with only expending a single order and a command token, so much of the order economy has changed that I'm not sure if link teams should work like you're thinking.
I think the discussion breaks down to the level on what it exactly is that people think fireteams should do. Like, they're still incredibly order efficient and have very strong bonuses to encourage always taking a fireteam if you play a sectorial, but the playing field now is more even between fire-teams and non-fireteams.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Flipswitch posted:

I think the discussion breaks down to the level on what it exactly is that people think fireteams should do. Like, they're still incredibly order efficient and have very strong bonuses to encourage always taking a fireteam if you play a sectorial, but the playing field now is more even between fire-teams and non-fireteams.

Cant you just reform the fireteam after its broken?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Cant you just reform the fireteam after its broken?

Yes, at the cost of one very sparse/expensive command token.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yup, you reform the link by spending q command token. Worth noting that only the link leader would break the link, otherwise a member just drops out of the team.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Seems to my very limited knowledge that using a command token to reform a link team after you have lobbed an EM grenade is pretty legit.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
What uses does a Lt order have? In the rulebook it mentions it has special purposes but I could not find any. I know it used to be used to Link Teams in N2 but Command Tokens took over that duty in N3.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Flipswitch posted:

Yup, you reform the link by spending q command token. Worth noting that only the link leader would break the link, otherwise a member just drops out of the team.

Yeah but spending an action makes you the link leader doesn't it? And in ARO there is no leader?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah but spending an action makes you the link leader doesn't it? And in ARO there is no leader?

No. If you activate one model and do not activate the rest of the link, that model immediately drops out of the link.
And the leader definitely does exist in ARO, it's the last model "actively activated". The difference is that if someone shoots the link leader in his reactive turn, the whole link breaks as opposed to one model less. That's why Number 2 exists.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Comrade Merf posted:

What uses does a Lt order have? In the rulebook it mentions it has special purposes but I could not find any. I know it used to be used to Link Teams in N2 but Command Tokens took over that duty in N3.
It's a special order only he can spend on himself. Spending it reveals the Lt but o can't remember if it has any other purposes.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Does anyone know of a resource for making custom unit cards? for doing demos at the store id like to print out a card for each figure, and fill its image with an actual picture of my painted figures. I could have sworn someone made a general use template at one time but ill be damned if I can find it.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

It's a special order only he can spend on himself. Spending it reveals the Lt but o can't remember if it has any other purposes.

The place where the rulebook says "the Special Lieutenant Order has special applications that can be very helpful, but using it broadcasts who the Lieutenant is in your Army List, giving your opponent a clear potential target. Use it judiciously." However I can't actually find what these "special applications" are.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Comrade Merf posted:

The place where the rulebook says "the Special Lieutenant Order has special applications that can be very helpful, but using it broadcasts who the Lieutenant is in your Army List, giving your opponent a clear potential target. Use it judiciously." However I can't actually find what these "special applications" are.

I don't think we know of any yet, aside from Inspirational Leader or whatever Joan's skill is called. I suspect they're going to add more in future books.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Spending it reveals the Lt but o can't remember if it has any other purposes.

Is autopassing Guts rolls with Lt order still a thing?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Is autopassing Guts rolls with Lt order still a thing?
I don't think it is, I think the Lt order now is purely for your Lt to spend and go "yo motherfuckers whats good". Unless I've missed something that's all it does unless you have Strategos, which if I remember lets you spend it normally like a Regular order. Or maybe like a Regular Order but reveals your Lt.

Comrade Merf posted:

I think that's just the fluff being a bit gratuitous with it outside of the Strategos interactions. My special applications for it tend to be putting the model into SupFire if my Lt is a combat model, like a Jotum.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
This is probably a stupid question, but is it verboten to spruik my tournament here?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but is it verboten to spruik my tournament here?

Yes.

Yes, it is a stupid question.

Feel free, also post your mans you promised a few weeks ago(?) :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

Go crazy man, I love reading about them. Anything infinity related issue welcome here.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Anyone have any ideas for an all Camo CA army? Not really looking for hyper competitiveness . Just want to drop an all Camo token army for the shock value pick up games to gently caress with my group a bit :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Any Shasvastii list? Pierzak can comment on it better than I can but I've always included sensors and MSVs because of those stupid lists.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Comrade Merf posted:

Anyone have any ideas for an all Camo CA army? Not really looking for hyper competitiveness . Just want to drop an all Camo token army for the shock value pick up games to gently caress with my group a bit :v:

Full camo list means you're too visible. Have my typical Shasvastii fuckery, adjusted for N3:

Aswang LT
3x Cadmus BS
2x Shrouded minelayer
2x Malignos sniper
Malignos hacker
Speculo Killer BS

It's not supposed to be straight effective force, it's supposed to make the opposing force struggle with every single little thing. Makes them feel like swimming in molasses :v:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Is minelayer still a thing in N3? I couldn't find the rules for it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Not a viking posted:

It's still a thing, it's just an expansion-book rule so it's apparently not in N3 proper. The unit profiles .pdf has a bunch of troops with it. Since it's an expansion-book rule and the FAQ doesn't mention it, that means it hasn't changed in the edition shift.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Yup, it's in HS book and will be on the updated wiki whenever that gets done.

Basically it lets you deploy a mine/camo marker in your ZoC for that miniature during your deployment phase.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I took advantage of the MM sale to add to the starter Haqq box I picked up a while ago to play locally, but I'm curious, is there any good way to keep the rules straight for a relative newbie? Should I consider literally writing out what each of my models can do in explicit terms?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

I took advantage of the MM sale to add to the starter Haqq box I picked up a while ago to play locally, but I'm curious, is there any good way to keep the rules straight for a relative newbie? Should I consider literally writing out what each of my models can do in explicit terms?
I'd say familiarize yourself enough with just the core rules to be able to play them mostly unaided and just make a note of pre-reading special rules before you play so you're aware of what they do and double check if you're unsure. If you find keeping a record written down of what things do, then by all means do so. :)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Start with a simple game of three basic riflemen on each side, once you get the grasp of basic orders/game structure add one more complex model (like camo or AD) per game, adjust learning tempo to taste. You may want to hunt down a scan of the Icestorm booklet to give you some introductory missions.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Flipswitch posted:

I'd say familiarize yourself enough with just the core rules to be able to play them mostly unaided and just make a note of pre-reading special rules before you play so you're aware of what they do and double check if you're unsure. If you find keeping a record written down of what things do, then by all means do so. :)

Maybe it's just been a while since I last started a new game (WMH and Malifaux are my main squeezes) but the number of special rules here is tweaking me out a bit :psyduck:

I'll just go as the two of you suggested.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Maybe it's just been a while since I last started a new game (WMH and Malifaux are my main squeezes) but the number of special rules here is tweaking me out a bit :psyduck:

I'll just go as the two of you suggested.

Me and a couple of buddies are getting into infinity and I agree. The amount of special rules and how the free pdf rules are laid out makes it very intimidating..

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You only need to know the rules that you're using and if you start by playing 150 point games you won't need to know too many of them at the same time.

It's less than you think.

If nobody steps forward to talk about making another singular fan rulebook, I'm going to think about doing it myself because that's how I learned to play N2.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The new Combined Army starter finally showed up at my LGS (in part, I suspect, because NA distributors who carry Infinity are basically entirely poo poo at their jobs unless you're in the Southeast) and holy poo poo are those models good. Minimal flash and mold lines, went together really easily, even the things with two hands on their gun, and the usual ridiculous level of detail that I've come to expect from CB's N3 products. The fact that the Fraacta's jetpack is somehow even more detailed and good-looking that Ko Dali's (which shares most of a design with it) is incredible, and I cannot wait to get these things painted up and on the table. Being able to field a really legit 150 point list now is also a pleasant side benefit.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I tried to order my CA starter from element games, and they hadn't gotten their shipment from their distributor either, so it might be an international problem.

I just want my alien sith lord, damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Alright, gave Achilles a try for the first time in N3...he's still a beast. Not sure I'd take him for objective games, but melee hits at B2 and 15 damage are utterly brutal, and going around enemies in their ZoC without triggering AROs on the approach is really handy. Still need to test him against other CC speciliasts, though.

• Locked thread