Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Is there a youtube clip where Ron was dismissing Sam as a radio host that you guys were talking about a couple days back?

I believe it starts here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8OTxtnTrPw&t=3693s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ant is moving TACS to a studio in NYC. It's pretty much make or break time.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Can't wait to hear Opie's excuse for why he can't make it in now.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kevyn posted:

• Too late in the day
  • Has to go do X with his kids
  • Bad traffic at that time
  • Lost the text/voicemail/email
  • Not enough treats/bribes
Basically anything that isn't "Anthony is a racist"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I don't think Ron is dismissing Sam outright, but he's revealing that Sam is too scared to make a name for himself and make himself a wanted commodity that Sirius can employ. Sirius doesn't build talent, it tries to force known quantities into radio. Sam isn't delusional enough to think he can really build a show there, he's just too afraid to leave Opie in order to go out and either fail or succeed.

Sam could probably do some good if he was just an rear end in a top hat on normal radio. Skip the wrestling and the cultural focus bullshit and just harass drunks and other sadsacks that normal radio has plenty of. But he expects that all of this time he spends with Opie will translate into something substantial or real. Good luck with that, but it'll never happen. The only thing Sam is doing right now is showing how Dennis Falcones are created.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
RONandFriEndZ posted a best of Ron taking swipes at Opie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1q6vCtWprE

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Call Me Charlie posted:

RONandFriEndZ posted a best of Ron taking swipes at Opie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1q6vCtWprE

I kind of have OCD and have to listen to every show, but my patience was really wearing thin this week. Ron helped a lot.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

BigPoot posted:

I kind of have OCD and have to listen to every show

So you're the one.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Kevyn posted:

"gently caress you, got mine."

Ant should understand that sentiment, as alien as it might be directed his way.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We have to work things out, there's a lot of things going on!
*Posts on twitter about sitting around watching basketball.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

They must really have good damage control/call screening because despite all the rampant Opie hate all over the internet, you haven't really heard a soul so much as call in with the balls to call Opie out entirely over the reason why he's not even so much as done anything with Anthony since the firing. For the first few days immediately following Anthony's release, Opie was playing the 'yeah man, it's hosed up, ect' card, but you'd think with a entire show where at the very least, telephone calls being the basis of it, Opie could at least call Anthony. It's far obvious at this point that Opie probably had something to do with Anthony getting fired, he'd made comments more recently about, "(So and so, forgot who he was talking about) has got to call MY show... I mean our show."

I also really don't understand all the Anthony hating in this thread, I like to consider myself a run of the mill Goon, I like Goon things, and I feel Anthony was something of the embodiment of myself in some aspects when listening to O&A over the years. He'd seem more relatable as a person, and the perfect opposite of Opie, he would keep interviews going, even if it wasn't one of the better interviews. You have lots of awkward comments coming from Opie, or pretty much just filling hours of the day talking about shaving his balls, because that's how a 50 year old man relates and stays in the know with his 20-30 somethings of an audience.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Obama made Anthony insane, before that he was very likeable, usually. Thanks Obama!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I don't really see them getting back together. Granted, they haven't been apart all this long but Ant is the #1 on his show and Opie is the #1 on his show. I don't see them putting that aside to get back together. Opie will always look at it as Ant coming back to "his" show and then probably try to control what he talks about. Add to that he probably doesn't want to ever be associated with any of Ant's personal feelings on topics and I don't think Ant will suddenly change those.

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 2, 2015

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Opie by himself offers nothing but bringing the O&A brand name back, that's all. There's zero reason why Anthony should want to work with him again.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Um, apparently you all forgot about extreme kid talk.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bacons posted:

I also really don't understand all the Anthony hating in this thread, I like to consider myself a run of the mill Goon, I like Goon things, and I feel Anthony was something of the embodiment of myself in some aspects when listening to O&A over the years. He'd seem more relatable as a person, and the perfect opposite of Opie, he would keep interviews going, even if it wasn't one of the better interviews. You have lots of awkward comments coming from Opie, or pretty much just filling hours of the day talking about shaving his balls, because that's how a 50 year old man relates and stays in the know with his 20-30 somethings of an audience.
I didn't tune in for Anthony's rampant radical right racist rants or whatever the gently caress it is we're supposed to hate him for, but he seemed to be honest about whatever he said no matter how dumb and I appreciate that. The thing that put O&A above others for me was that they always seemed to be doing what they want and saying what they thought, not what other people wanted to hear. Over the past few years Opie seemed to get a lot more pushy and fakey because of his obsession over e-popularity though. Probably after it finally sunk in that satellite would never give him a helping hand as long as Stern draws breath.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

A summer has passed, you guys. Opie needs to know if Ant has poo poo on the beach!

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I feel bad for Sam and his awful nazgul voice. Then again it probably wasn't the wisest decision to go after a career of talking when your voice is by far your worst characteristic.

gently caress Sam.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Ant, Jim and Ron would be the best show. I'd pay $10.00 a month

Opie and Sam and go to terrestrial and do whatever.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I actually think Ron meshes better with Opie tbh.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

therealjon_ posted:

Agreed. I caught the shows Ron was sitting in on last week after not listening for a while and I enjoyed their dynamic.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

therealjon_ posted:

Ron meshes well with anyone who will actually talk. Coincidentally...

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Ron meshes well with anyone who will actually talk. Coincidentally...

Come on, now you are going to make Fez cry!

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
In less whining news:
http://nypost.com/2015/02/01/naked-cowgirl-sues-city-over-wrongful-arrest/

Find 10 million things wrong with this article.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Ever since Sandy won that suit brought against her by the Naked Cowboy, she's been treating legal action like lottery scratch-offs.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Sandy Kane, 52

Hahahahahahahah

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

:catstare:

What. The. gently caress.

Wow. She easily looks 70.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Twatto is 52.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Sandy Kane, 52

Hahahahahahahah

oh my god. So she was in her mid forties while OandA? she looked like a nightmare, then

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah, Ant hosed up, but acting like he wouldn't cut out his own left testicle to be back on the show is crazy talk. He knows what a loving cake walk he screwed himself out of, and even if his current little show is a moderate success, it still makes him far less with a lot more work involved.

Opie sucks overall, we know that, he can talk, tell a couple stories, etc. The problem is he doesn't have the quick wit that Anthony and Jim bring and I really think that's what most people are wanting to hear when they tune in to the show. Sure, mix it up, tell some life stories that are a bit dull now and then, but quickly turn it around and make us laugh.

Someone posted that 12 hour long youtube compilation of them loving with callers or people being interviewed by phone and it really made me nostalgic for how funny the show used to be 6-7 years ago. Holy poo poo some of those are amazing, it's a real shame. They could still do it even without Anthony, but I feel like ever since it became Sirius XM the merger really stifled all of that pure troll humor that was usually the highlight.

I miss what the show was and it's a really lovely show now for the most part. If I wasn't attached to it from the past i'd never give it the time of day. It's sad, I need to check out, it's like a bad relationship you stick in for years after you know it's not working, as both Opie and Anthony have referenced to in their own lives many times.

Ugh.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

T Bowl posted:

Yeah, Ant hosed up, but acting like he wouldn't cut out his own left testicle to be back on the show is crazy talk. He knows what a loving cake walk he screwed himself out of, and even if his current little show is a moderate success, it still makes him far less with a lot more work involved.

Opie sucks overall, we know that, he can talk, tell a couple stories, etc. The problem is he doesn't have the quick wit that Anthony and Jim bring and I really think that's what most people are wanting to hear when they tune in to the show. Sure, mix it up, tell some life stories that are a bit dull now and then, but quickly turn it around and make us laugh.

Someone posted that 12 hour long youtube compilation of them loving with callers or people being interviewed by phone and it really made me nostalgic for how funny the show used to be 6-7 years ago. Holy poo poo some of those are amazing, it's a real shame. They could still do it even without Anthony, but I feel like ever since it became Sirius XM the merger really stifled all of that pure troll humor that was usually the highlight.

I miss what the show was and it's a really lovely show now for the most part. If I wasn't attached to it from the past i'd never give it the time of day. It's sad, I need to check out, it's like a bad relationship you stick in for years after you know it's not working, as both Opie and Anthony have referenced to in their own lives many times.

Ugh.

I agree completely on every point, what bothers me the most is thinking of the 'endgame' for Anthony, sure this subscription thing works now, but where will he be in another 6 months or a year? He can't pay for that big loving house and the lifestyle he once had without a 'real job/real show'. I sort of look at what Anthony is doing now for a subscription and it reminds me of what Tom Green tried to do with his internet show that really was horrible, and ended in a fiery crash upon the mountainside, and that was for free.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I don't think we know how much money Ant really has, he has a nice house and all, but I don't think its like some 5-10 million monstrosity. He walks this fine balance of saying he has alot, and when people complain he kinda walks it back like he doesn't have a whole lot to try to keep up his everyman schtick. I'm pretty sure OnA both have some decent gently caress you money. Ant seems to know his way around the stock game too so it's not like he's out of options when it comes to making money outside of radio. Besides all that it's not like Ant is buying 20 cars and blowing tons on kilos of coke and poo poo. Basically what I'm saying is Ant will probably be fine unless he gets married again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well he's opening a NYC studio, wonder how much that is hurting him or if he has enough subs to break even.

If he starts getting decent guests because of the move he might up his subscribers, but I feel like all this is going to do is let people like Ari Shaffir be on more often.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
He has or had an apartment in NYC, maybe he let go of that lease and put the money into studio space?

e: It's probably the apartment itself that he is now making a studio... heh.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ant was pretty open about Opie recently. Said that things are just weird between them. That they had grown apart over the years as their lives are so different now. He said Opie wanted to sit down privately before doing any kind of public show together.

If the NYC studio brings in good guests, that'll be a huge boost for the show. Him solo is pretty bland. But throw Jimmy in the mix and it's golden. Jimmy made it sound like he'd do the show a lot more frequently if Ant was closer. Hoping that he can pop in once a week.

T Bowl posted:

The show really was amazing 6-7 years ago. I also loved their wars with other radio shows. Playing clips of those shows and just dissecting them.

I also loved when they'd critique TV shows. How angry Ant got over watching Hoarders. The whole Tony Danza thing. It was just making GBS threads on pop culture in hilarious ways.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Former R&F intern Dana making waves:

https://twitter.com/danacavalieri/status/562354660192043008

$100k undergraduate education paying dividends.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

onemillionzombies posted:

Former R&F intern Dana making waves:

https://twitter.com/danacavalieri/status/562354660192043008

$100k undergraduate education paying dividends.

quote:

22 years old and 0 vaccines and PROUD. My right, my choice.

quote:

You don't need to inject (potentially harmful) chemicals into your body to have a strong immune system. I don't need it.

jesus gently caress

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
someone responded with "Didn't stop you from becoming autistic." lmao

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

All those callers who were making GBS threads on RAs have got to feel pretty happy about themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Hopefully she bites someone and they have to put her down.

Or at the very least she's sent to prison and is forced to get immunizations.

• Locked thread