Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That would be nice. Ive already got lollipop but I haven't noticed a new sense thing.

I also don't mind the power button at the top, in fact I prefer it there to anywhere else now I'm used to it.
That's just me hoping they add raw options to the HTC camera app with Sense 7.

If you have lollipop you can just download L Camera and take raw photos that get saved as dng files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Had to do a factory reset to get my GS5 lollipop update to quit bugging out. :negative:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The HTC one M8 is a great phone, but for some reason is not included in the op. I'd recommend it to anyone. The camera could maybe be improved upon but even thats got some great features for idiots like me to play with.

The camera isn't great but improves a lot when you manually choose a mode instead of doing auto. Other than that, I really like the phone but I'm constantly having problems with texts not going though or not getting received (especially in group texts) and multiple calls to AT&T and HTC haven't been able to fix it. Had the same issues on my HTC One X too. Maybe I'm just cursed, I don't know.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Just got a new SIM in the Moto Maxx I just picked up. The display is showing H+ and I'm only getting 2-3mbit download on AT&T's network. I'm coming from a Nexus 4. Is there anything I need to do to get the Maxx to give me decent speed? Do I need to call AT&T and have them change something in the system?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Panthrax posted:

Just got a new SIM in the Moto Maxx I just picked up. The display is showing H+ and I'm only getting 2-3mbit download on AT&T's network. I'm coming from a Nexus 4. Is there anything I need to do to get the Maxx to give me decent speed? Do I need to call AT&T and have them change something in the system?

Yeah your Nexus 4 didn't have LTE so you'll need to call and get your account provisioned correctly.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can anyone recommend an external battery between 2000-3000 mAh that won't explode or destroy my Nexus 5? Something with an attached micro USB out would be preferable.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Panthrax posted:

Isn't the Moto Maxx for non-US markets? I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have the correct LTE bands.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="441107911"]
Isn't the Moto Maxx for non-US markets? I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have the correct LTE bands.

Nah it has 2, 4, and 17 which are AT&T's bands.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Massasoit posted:

Can anyone recommend an external battery between 2000-3000 mAh that won't explode or destroy my Nexus 5? Something with an attached micro USB out would be preferable.
I have a few Anker products and have been happy with the quality, use them regularly with N5/N7/N10, they put out enough power to still charge the device with the screen on and while gaming or whatever. Can even run the Moto 360 dock off of these to charge my watch :) .

The Astro Slim batteries have a built in cable of sorts, you can see it on the product pages.

http://www.ianker.com/External-Batteries/category-c1-s1

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Massasoit posted:

I have the previous generation of the Anker Slim and I love it. Like carrying a second small phone and very jacket pocket friendly.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

FunOne posted:

I have the previous generation of the Anker Slim and I love it. Like carrying a second small phone and very jacket pocket friendly.

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

nimper posted:

Nah it has 2, 4, and 17 which are AT&T's bands.

Yep, think we got it worked out. Called originally to have them change the IMEI, but was still getting poo poo speed. After talking to their level 2 techs or whatever, we decided it was the building I was in, since I was getting between 1 and 6mbps on random tests. Got home, pulling 14-16mbps. So I'm happy. And this phone is goddamn amazing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Was Lollipop not supposed to bring good improvements in battery life?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was Lollipop not supposed to bring good improvements in battery life?

To my knowledge, 5.0 introduced 2 major things:

-Battery saver mode, when your battery gets very low it switches off radios and stuff which reduces power consumption
-New scheduling API (this is the thing they called Project Volta) to reduce wakelocks or something, it synchronizes when various apps do their polling which reduces active CPU time. However, this is up to app developers to take advantage of

So not direct power savings, but these are the 2 things I was aware of related to battery life improvements.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Worth pointing out that Project Volta stuff is mainly about improving idle battery life - it'll help a bit when you're using the phone too (helping it be a bit smarter about hitting the radios and stuff) but it can't do much about the screen sucking down all the juice

e-

robodex posted:

Dumb question but have you tried another charger? I had the exact same issue until I realized it was just the cable I was using.

From a while back but it wasn't a dumb question, I'm the dumbass because I finally tried another cable and that seems to charge fine whether the phone's on or off. I guess I don't really ~get~ USB cables but it works so cheers!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 4, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I thought Lollipop was supposed to allow me to delete all the Verizon apps, including one that seemed to be blocking me from using a SIM abroad on my S5. I was able to uninstall some programs like the Verizon messaging program, but others don't have that option.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

I thought Lollipop was supposed to allow me to delete all the Verizon apps, including one that seemed to be blocking me from using a SIM abroad on my S5. I was able to uninstall some programs like the Verizon messaging program, but others don't have that option.

You have been able to use Verizon phones abroad for awhile now. At least since 4g phones were introduced. I'm talking using a prepaid sim card from whatever country you are in

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've got to say, moving from a 4.3'' Galaxy S2 to a 5.9'' HTC One Max has made me really appreciate how far phones have come in the past couple years. I'm planning to flip this and buy a new giantphone when one is announced - I'm really hoping for an M9 Max or Xperia Z4 Ultra.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You have been able to use Verizon phones abroad for awhile now. At least since 4g phones were introduced. I'm talking using a prepaid sim card from whatever country you are in

Yeah, I used my iPhone 5 on Three in the UK just fine last year. I tried Claro in Peru on my S5 this year and hit a brick wall with a SIM "Unknown Source" problem. Claro kept saying it was something on the phone, Verizon kept saying they don't do support for Claro. I have no grasp on these things, but my Google search led me to a handful of people blaming Setup Wizard with the phone booter/BIOS/whatever looking for a Verizon-coded SIM. Again, I don't have a great grasp to know if that's correct, and it definitely seemed like a corner-case problem.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Yeah, I used my iPhone 5 on Three in the UK just fine last year. I tried Claro in Peru on my S5 this year and hit a brick wall with a SIM "Unknown Source" problem. Claro kept saying it was something on the phone, Verizon kept saying they don't do support for Claro. I have no grasp on these things, but my Google search led me to a handful of people blaming Setup Wizard with the phone booter/BIOS/whatever looking for a Verizon-coded SIM. Again, I don't have a great grasp to know if that's correct, and it definitely seemed like a corner- problem.

I remember having to change something in my settings to use a Verizon sg4 in Costa Rica. I did have to Google the solution to show the Costa Rican company how to do it but there are a lot more expats posting online from that country compared to Peru. Had something to do with the bands being different. Is Claro the only provider in Peru? I know Costa Rica had only two providers that were highly regulated by the state

https://community.verizonwireless.com/mobile/mobile-access.jspa#jive-content?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv3%2Fcontents%2F1903562

That thread has people with same issue and how they solved it. Keep reading since people are raging but eventually realize what was wrong

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 4, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I remember having to change something in my settings to use a Verizon sg4 in Costa Rica. I did have to Google the solution to show the Costa Rican company how to do it but there are a lot more expats posting online from that country compared to Peru. Had something to do with the bands being different. Is Claro the only provider in Peru? I know Costa Rica had only two providers that were highly regulated by the state

I did also run into something similar via Google, like putting in some series of numbers into some settings field/loader that would help it recognize the network (sorry, layman here) but couldn't figure out how to get that working either. There are two service providers in Peru and the third-party Claro vendor was none too happy to see a US phone come up when we bought the SIM. The company owned Claro store had crazy lines, so we just lived without mobile service. We didn't even try Movistar.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
You can get rid of the unknown source notification on Galaxy s4 and s5 by holding down the notification and force closing the setup wizard. That'll get the notification to go away until you restart.

As for the phone working, you need to enable roaming in the settings. Since it's a Verizon phone and not a Verizon sim, you are technically roaming to the phone. I use a Verizon Galaxy s4 on cricket this way with absolutely no problems.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is the N6 still the go-to phone when looking to buy off-contract?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Was it ever?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Yes if you can afford it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Yes if you can afford it.

Affordability isn't so much the question as whether or not that $700 or so is best spent, phone-wise, on the N6 at this point in time. Curent phone is an N5 and while it's probably lollipop issues, it's starting to show its age.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FAUXTON posted:

Affordability isn't so much the question as whether or not that $700 or so is best spent, phone-wise, on the N6 at this point in time. Curent phone is an N5 and while it's probably lollipop issues, it's starting to show its age.

The only phone that is arguably better is more expensive (note 4), but touchwiz blah blah.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I don't think the N6 is much of an upgrade over the N5 if the size isn't your main goal. Side by side an unencrypted N5 is faster than the N6 (which comes encrypted by default).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I don't think the N6 is much of an upgrade over the N5 if the size isn't your main goal. Side by side an unencrypted N5 is faster than the N6 (which comes encrypted by default).

Speaking of that, is Google even doing anything about this mess of an encryption system on the N6?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

Guess I have to post this again

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of that, is Google even doing anything about this mess of an encryption system on the N6?
One would hope. It's not like the N5 or the N6 lacks the hardware to properly implement the encryption.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Guess I have to post this again

Benchmarks aren't real life. I see an N5 and an N6 every day and while I wouldn't call the N6 slow it's certainly slower than my N5.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

LastInLine posted:

Benchmarks aren't real life. I see an N5 and an N6 every day and while I wouldn't call the N6 slow it's certainly slower than my N5.

So is the N5 faster than the N7 2013? As my 6 is way faster than my 7 except at booting up. Even loading larger apps (like games) it's at worst similar if not still faster.

I was just expecting some sort of genuinely noticeable slowdown with all the bitching I heard about the encryption around release and I don't have anything noticeable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

So is the N5 faster than the N7 2013? As my 6 is way faster than my 7 except at booting up. Even loading larger apps (like games) it's at worst similar if not still faster.

I was just expecting some sort of genuinely noticeable slowdown with all the bitching I heard about the encryption around release and I don't have anything noticeable.
Honestly with the variability everyone reports with their 2013 N7s I don't think it's safe to say. My 2013 N7 is slower than both my N5 and the wife's N6 by quite a lot. Under KitKat though my N7 was too slow to use, others reported the opposite. I get the feeling every N7 is a unique flower.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah, I suppose that's true. Our N7's perform exactly opposite of each other it seems. I get like double your battery life and solid performance out of mine =-p I just don't have much to compare the N6 to day-to-day besides two GS3s and a Droid Turbo, and trying to compare it to the GS3s is obviously laughable.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
More proof that Lollipop is broken as poo poo: We're already getting 5.1.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Whizbang posted:

More proof that Lollipop is broken as poo poo: We're already getting 5.1.

I'm alright with Lollipop on my Google Play device (i.e. non-Nexus, and holy poo poo I just spelled device "devies") but I think I do prefer KitKat at this point. Lollipop just feels slower, even unencrypted. No memory leaks, but there are a number of small bugs due to the new version jump.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been running a simpleAOSP build of 5.0.1 on my N4 and its pretty much flawless. Snapchat seems to cause it to crash sometimes but that's it. Actually I'm really pleased with how snappy it is, but the camera is just awful.

I really think whatever I buy next will have to have an easy remove backplate again, god I miss that from my galaxies. No way I'm going around with one of those big external batteries hanging off my phone.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

It depends on your carrier. If you're on TMO you should look at the Xperia Z3 because it's better than the N6 in some key areas. I just finished taking a long, hard look at both and I'm glad I bought the Z3.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Have you actually called Google and asked?

I was inspired by this comment to actually ring Play UK support, and the nice lady told me that no, the N5 repair thing is US only (and maybe isnt happening anymore?). She also asked me if I was from Northern or "Proper" Ireland, which was pretty funny. A+ for customer interaction, F- for receiving free phone repair. Fuckit, I can live with a half-smashed phone for another few months probably.

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

enojy posted:

I'm alright with Lollipop on my Google Play device (i.e. non-Nexus, and holy poo poo I just spelled device "devies") but I think I do prefer KitKat at this point. Lollipop just feels slower, even unencrypted. No memory leaks, but there are a number of small bugs due to the new version jump.

Can you get AOSP browser work on your device?

I just couldn't get AOSP browser work the way I wanted on Android 4.4. I recently flash my LG OG Pro back to a 4.1 rom and couldn't be happier.

I think Titanium Backup has problem w 4.4 too.