Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DEAR RICHARD posted:

It was a person walking down the middle of the road. Looked like the person took a step and their arm moved.

Right after the impact the video states that "it's a doll"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EightBit posted:

Gramps needs to get off the road, he can't control that vehicle like that and it's ripping up the asphalt.

He didn't fight the nazis just to come home and have some two-bit hooligan like you tell him he can't drive on his wheel until it's worn down to a nub :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

He didn't fight the nazis just to come home and have some two-bit hooligan like you tell him he can't drive on his wheel until it's worn down to a nub :colbert:

If anyone who actually fought nazis is still capable of driving, let that dude loving do whatever he wants because holy poo poo. :v:

I think we're at the point where even Korean war vets are a thin crowd.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Per the latest Alaska DMV statistics there are still 2 valid Pearl Harbor Survivor plates. That's a 50% year over year drop :(

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
http://jonathanturley.org/2015/02/02/north-carolina-woman-charged-in-road-rage-incident-caught-on-tape/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDr_J_pLg0A

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

NC will never cease to amaze me.

So, how can we blame the kid for this one?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks like china is picking this up pretty well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJinVEwoAPE

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

This isn't to excuse the behavior, but after the first brake check and getting the plates, why didn't she take the first turn off? I mean with children in the car, it just isn't worth it, that woman could have had a gun instead of just hands.

Powershift posted:

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get to see the actual fight, but both parties here should die.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 3, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

nm posted:

This isn't to excuse the behavior, but after the first brake check and getting the plates, why didn't she take the first turn off? I mean with children in the car, it just isn't worth it, that woman could have had a gun instead of just hands.

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get to see the actual fight, but both parties here should die.

Agreed. Or at least hang back. I don't understand why people want to keep themselves in these situations any longer than necessary. If she hadn't been so close the lady wouldn't have been able to hop out and hit her car at all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

revmoo posted:

Agreed. Or at least hang back. I don't understand why people want to keep themselves in these situations any longer than necessary. If she hadn't been so close the lady wouldn't have been able to hop out and hit her car at all.
If she was on the phone with 911 or something, I might be less concerned. I once followed a DUI driver on the advice of 911 (he almost wiped me and 3 other cars out), but if I had a kid (or really anyone else) in the car, I'd have gotten a plate and bugged out.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

reposted from the GBS china.jpg thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsZ6Fwdpo0

:stonk:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I was trying to figure out if there was any more information on that video by using google translate on the comments.

quote:

Driving is a dog party offerings elderly fans ... not unexpected ... because the dog Pluto party party card laws are there to protect people .... so he was hit so happy ...

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I swear people lose their minds around grit trucks. I'm used to people slowing down the moment they're past the back of them and out of the paint-shredding zone, but today I watched cars slow down and pace two seperate trucks while still behind them, chunks of road salt pinging off the whole front and side of their cars. :wtc:

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I like how her first reaction to being assaulted is to yell at her child for being afraid.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

good jovi posted:

I like how her first reaction to being assaulted is to yell at her child for being afraid.

Preeetty sure she was yelling at the other woman.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
When will these people learn that de-escalation is generally the best solution to these kind of situations?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The worst part of that china one is that he was trying to revenge brake check a guy in a faster car. So he had to weave, lane split, and cut off everyone else on the road just to get ahead of him. Stupid.

If I ever did something on the road that pissed off someone else so bad they'd brake check and block me, I'd simply turn, exit, or slow down to let them get ahead, even if that meant pulling over. If they pulled over with me, I'd wait till they got out of their car and either drive off or back up or whatever, just to get the gently caress away from the crazy person.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Rainy, misty, visibility is poo poo on the highway due to cars throwing water up. Better not turn on your lights or someone will see you coming and cut you off :suicide:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This happened in front of me today.

Guy in the dodge had just stolen a guitar from a store across the road but for some reason had his getaway car in the parking lot I was in and was leaving. He zipped up in the lane to my right (waiting at a light) and pulled out right into the Accord while trying to escape the parking lot into a rather busy street. Had someone been in the lane he used I have no doubt he would have gone to my left and I'd have been hit instead of him ending in the ditch.

The police officer had been directing traffic a block over and showed up lights on just in time to have handcuffs ready when the thief staggered out of the ditch.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

If she was on the phone with 911 or something, I might be less concerned. I once followed a DUI driver on the advice of 911 (he almost wiped me and 3 other cars out), but if I had a kid (or really anyone else) in the car, I'd have gotten a plate and bugged out.

What's the point of getting the plate without footage?

Cops will just shrug and say they can't do anything about it without evidence, and gently caress, in my experience even if you hand them a gift-wrapped conviction they won't do poo poo about it anyways.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Geoj posted:

Cops will just shrug and say they can't do anything about it without evidence, and gently caress, in my experience even if you hand them a gift-wrapped conviction they won't do poo poo about it anyways.
She had the first brake check.
I will say my 911 call had no video and resulted in an arrest and conviction for a 3rd DUI.

Per something I read the reason for the following was an unsafe pass. That alone probably wasn't worthy of following or a 911 call unless it almost resulted in an accident.
Oh and generally, I don't thing getting a conviction for some rear end in a top hat is worth putting a child's life in danger.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

She had the first brake check.

You'd have to be dealing with a seriously underworked police department for them to do anything about a single brake check other than tell you to get over your hurt feelings.

Let's be honest here, this woman would have been fine right up to the point where she reached through the open window and took a swing at the driver.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Geoj posted:

You'd have to be dealing with a seriously underworked police department for them to do anything about a single brake check other than tell you to get over your hurt feelings.

Let's be honest here, this woman would have been fine right up to the point where she reached through the open window and took a swing at the driver.

I agree, which is why I don't understand why the following car was following. What was she hoping to accomplish?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I figured probably headed in the same direction in an area without many alternate routes. Apparently (from the linked blog post) the rage lady pulled this kind of stunt before so if nothing else she got the crazy lady off the road and hopefully into a situation where she can get some help for her anger management or chemical dependency or whatever is wrong with her. Generally once assholes like this realize they're on camera they deflate and either speed off or slow down and fade back in with traffic.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just went out for a few errands. On my way home I was driving up... I don't remember, one of the highway interchanges, I think it's technically 279 North at that particular point. There's a left hand curve that I like to take at a little over the speed limit this time of night because it's usually just me on the road. Tonight there was a car in the left lane in front of me doing 50. So I hung back, not worth trying to go flying around him on a curve at 20* outside.

End of the curve, he's still doing 50, (I think it's a 55 through that point) so I signal my lane change, move to the center lane, and accelerate. As soon as I get even with him he floors it to match speeds with me and lays on his horn, then drops back to 50. Okay that was weird. So I get back in the left lane and continue on at ~60-65 when suddenly he's on my bumper with his high beams on and stays there through a lane change back to center, stays there for another 15 seconds... then goes back to the far left lane doing 50.

Some old white guy in a Buick. Who the gently caress knows.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Twice on my route home there was an rear end in a top hat driver that would make a stupidly tight left turn that put their car into oncoming' left turn lane. The result? The left turn arrow would pop up when the light cycled. Super annoying when I'm the only car at the light. Not to mention these people are going to hit a car in the turn lane and will probably blame someone else.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Geoj posted:

I had a driver pull the "follow me for 20 miles brake checking and weaving around" poo poo while I was driving home from buying a car our of state, which was just about the worst timing imaginable because the brakes weren't great and nobody wants to wreck a cool car on the way home from buying it. Called 911 with the vehicle description and plates, and I actually got a call back saying that several other motorists reported it, asking me to stay on the line and let them know if he exits the freeway. Sure enough he did, and I heard a swarm of sirens after I got off the line :)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Snow in Colorado today. This morning's near death experience brought to you by the idiot in the Civic in front of me who waited until the last minute to brake and did a 180. Saw fear in his eyes as I carefully slowed to a stop 8 feet away from his car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

Snow in Colorado today. This morning's near death experience brought to you by the idiot in the Civic in front of me who waited until the last minute to brake and did a 180. Saw fear in his eyes as I carefully slowed to a stop 8 feet away from his car.

I wish I had a dashcam because last winter I had a great moment where a Buick Rendezvous made a left turn at speed and then the ice kept making that left turn for them all the way over the center median, down a hill and onto the other direction of traffic for a perfect U-turn.

It was beautiful, like figure skating.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wish I had a dashcam because last winter I had a great moment where a Buick Rendezvous made a left turn at speed and then the ice kept making that left turn for them all the way over the center median, down a hill and onto the other direction of traffic for a perfect U-turn.

It was beautiful, like figure skating.

I gotta give my Civic driver props, it was a clean, in-lane 180 with no collisions. He slid his rear end out into the barely used turn lane. It was kind of artful.

The lovely thing about unintentional ice skating in your car is that it's always so comically slow, too.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Protocol7 posted:

The lovely thing about unintentional ice skating in your car is that it's always so comically slow, too.

It doesn't feel that way when you aren't expecting it, though. I've adjusted to how my TJ will throw the back end out on wet roads if I'm too heavy on the gas, but the first time it happened to me, I was certain that I was going to slide into everything on the road. Now I do it for fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I always aim for a stop point far behind where I actually need to stop in poo poo conditions. Don't hit anything that way, and I have room to play in the snow too.

Same for getting going, I hang back a few feet so I can spin the tires a bit and build some momentum before the light actually changes to green.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

EightBit posted:

It doesn't feel that way when you aren't expecting it, though. I've adjusted to how my TJ will throw the back end out on wet roads if I'm too heavy on the gas, but the first time it happened to me, I was certain that I was going to slide into everything on the road. Now I do it for fun.

Oh yeah, for sure. My Prelude likes to fishtail when I brake. (Less so now that I replaced 2 shot tires and they're on the rear axle, but still.) Fun to do it on the road my apartment is on since it's wide and hardly used.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Getting stuck in snow (in the midwest so we've had over a foot) really sucks. I have excellent tires but if the snow is deep enough and you don't realize it, the car bottoms out and you are royally hosed without some serious shoveling effort.

My back aches from days of this stuff. The shoveling never stops. No garage to park in, either :(

Even if I did have a garage, alleys aren't plowed by the city here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm just disappointed we're getting all this snow at once. It means in a week or two it's all gonna melt and then it's basically spring already meaning the fun is over.

Gotta pace yourself for a marathon, winter. :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

All of those road raging jerks are doing it wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuKnR8RvxHY

We could all learn a thing or two.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 4, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Michael Scott posted:

Getting stuck in snow (in the midwest so we've had over a foot) really sucks. I have excellent tires but if the snow is deep enough and you don't realize it, the car bottoms out and you are royally hosed without some serious shoveling effort.

My back aches from days of this stuff. The shoveling never stops. No garage to park in, either :(

Even if I did have a garage, alleys aren't plowed by the city here.

My parents have it so easy. I got stuck up there this weekend and plowed their paved driveway like five times, the neighbor's twice, and helped lady across the street. A snow blower makes short work of it. My driveway, on the other hand, is gravel and lumpy and doesn't really work well with a snow blower, so it took my three tries to finish shoveling it by hand once I got back home.

My FWD hot hatch with winter tires does okay in the snow with a little finesse. With their AWD Subaru Forester with all season tires, I only had to point in the right direction, step on the gas, and it would just go. The anti slip system barely kicked in and I spent zero time spinning the wheels for grip. It was like I was cheating.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Protocol7 posted:

Also brought to you by the idiot in a Rav4 FWD model with bald all seasons, pedal to the metal going nowhere up a hill. There's one semi-steep valley in my neighborhood and this guy should have figured out how to go around it. Except there is no way around it, it cuts through all major north south roads on this side of town. I got into the left lane early and breezed by like an rear end in a top hat, unlike the 4-5 poor saps stuck behind him.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I know this is from a couple of pages back, but what a massive oval office that Lexus driver is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The Onion is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuKnR8RvxHY