Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
I paid $22k for my ST2 with moonroof and Sony package back in March of 2013. That was $6500 off sticker. There's always good deals out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Rhyno posted:

A few people have been getting STUPID deals on them if you're okay with the base model.

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/now-is-the-time-to-get-a-stupid-cheap-deal-on-a-2014-fo-1680643716

That's what spurred me to look at the ST's in the first place :). In all reality the deal they threw me was pretty solid, but of course you always want to get something better... Right now on a new ST3 (no moonroof), they're setting at $24k+TTL and some VERY bullshit fees (imo) but they're giving me a fair-ish price on my trade. We're about 3k off where I think I should be with all the crazy deals out there, and a fair amount of old units cluttering up dealer lots. If they can get close I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

My big question is (since I tend to keep vehicles for a VERY long time) is about all the electronic wizardry - am I going to have a nightmare 8-10 years down the road with all that crap? Their engines and transmissions seem very solid but all the gizmos are a bit worrisome when it comes to reliability.

needknees fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 30, 2015

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

needknees posted:

That's what spurred me to look at the ST's in the first place :). In all reality the deal they threw me was pretty solid, but of course you always want to get something better... Right now on a new ST3 (no moonroof), they're setting at $24k+TTL and some VERY bullshit fees (imo) but they're giving me a fair-ish price on my trade. We're about 3k off where I think I should be with all the crazy deals out there, and a fair amount of old units cluttering up dealer lots. If they can get close I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

My big question is (since I tend to keep vehicles for a VERY long time) is about all the electronic wizardry - am I going to have a nightmare 8-10 years down the road with all that crap? Their engines and transmissions seem very solid but all the gizmos are a bit worrisome when it comes to reliability.

For the first time in my life I got an extended warranty. Covers virtually everything for an additional 3 years. Haggled to $500 for it. Too many electronics to not go for it IMO. Just watch the BS fees

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

needknees posted:

Complete heresay and opinion but I've found Ford's don't generally have higher than average issues with electrical in the long term. Usually the old bastard Ford hat trick is motor mounts, alternator, and heater core going all within 6 months of each other.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm looking at trading in my 09 GTI and picking up a 2012 CPO golf r with 36k miles for 26k. Are the prices on the mk6 R likely to come down much more as the mk7 drops? I've talked the dealer down about 1200 off their first out the door offer since it's the end of the month. Should I pull the trigger or wait?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

willroc7 posted:

I'm looking at trading in my 09 GTI and picking up a 2012 CPO golf r with 36k miles for 26k. Are the prices on the mk6 R likely to come down much more as the mk7 drops? I've talked the dealer down about 1200 off their first out the door offer since it's the end of the month. Should I pull the trigger or wait?

I'd imagine that prices aren't going to drop down a lot until new Rs are out, rather that the super limited waiting list amount we're getting soon.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

8ender posted:

Complete heresay and opinion but I've found Ford's don't generally have higher than average issues with electrical in the long term. Usually the old bastard Ford hat trick is motor mounts, alternator, and heater core going all within 6 months of each other.

At least the 14's have the revised rear motor mount, that seemed to be a recurring weak point in the earlier cars.

I was sick the tail end of last week and didn't have a chance to beat the dealer up. Going to see if they'll play ball or not tonight :getin:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Official Focus RS reveal

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/02/03/all-new-ford-focus-rs.html

Ford seems committed to making me a huge fan of their line-up.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 3, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm kind of let down by the lack of huge fender flares.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Linux Nazi posted:

Official Focus RS reveal

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/02/03/all-new-ford-focus-rs.html

Ford seems committed to making me a huge fan of their line-up.

Do want.

But

Am moving to NYC and selling my ST :(

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm curious if that dual exhaust splitter combo will work on an ST. That'd be sexy as hell.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
I've been saving my money like a madman hoping that they wouldn't screw up on the RS, but I'm glad my optimism was justified. It looks excellent. I love the ST, but I wanted the hype to be real about the RS.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

My only worry about the RS is the price, i'm afraid it's going to be super high :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

xsf421 posted:

My only worry about the RS is the price, i'm afraid it's going to be super high :(

I have a feeling it'll be closer to 40k than 30k :(

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Wouldn't this need to be priced competitively with at least a WRX STi? Or am I out of touch and that's how much they cost too?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Probably closer to Golf R territory since the ST ($24k) is close to a base GTI ($25k).

Golf R is $37k. Base STi is $35k. Tack on a few options and I can see the RS being $40k easily.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The RS looks like it's going to be in line with the Golf R, which starts at 36,500. I really, really want one, and it should be out around the time my FiST lease is up, but it's going to be really silly to get a $40,000 ford focus when I can get a BMW 228i M-sport for about the same price…

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I doubt the RS slots in under 35k and there's probably a chance it is closer to $40k than $35k but we'll see.

I'm intrigued. It looks like it solves a couple issues I have with the ST, although I still don't like the interior dash layout since it eats in to a lot of space, and I bet the turning circle is still loving awful.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Everyone is saying $35k, but that's probably the base price before the fancy ST3 (or I guess RS3) packages. If I go after one, I'll probably wait for the next model year and snatch up incentives and X-Plan eligibility at the cost of having a moonroof I don't want.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that sure is an expensive Ford Focus. I think my ZX3 was about $11,500 new in 2007, after discounts

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

that sure is an expensive Ford Focus. I think my ZX3 was about $11,500 new in 2007, after discounts

Are you suprised that shitboxes cost less than sportier cars or something?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

that sure is an expensive Ford Focus.

Don't worry, everyone is just throwing out random crazy guesses. Everyone FREAKED OUT about the 250hp thing yesterday and then breathed a collective sigh of relief.

It wouldn't surprise me if the base RS starts at 29,995 or something, with the high end models reaching 36-37k.

Also the 2003 base Lancer was around $13,000 and the Evo started at around $27k. I'm curious to know what you think it costs to add a big turbo engine, AWD, and other serious performance add-ons.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 3, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

A MIRACLE posted:

Also one of my complaints. At some point you can't convince people to spend more on a Focus that starts at like $15k regardless of how much of a difference you get in engine/brakes/AWD/etc...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I doubt the RS slots in under 35k and there's probably a chance it is closer to $40k than $35k but we'll see.

I'm intrigued. It looks like it solves a couple issues I have with the ST, although I still don't like the interior dash layout since it eats in to a lot of space, and I bet the turning circle is still loving awful.

It'll be pretty funny if it comes in more expensive than the Golf R.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

Don't worry, everyone is just throwing out random crazy guesses. Everyone FREAKED OUT about the 250hp thing yesterday and then breathed a collective sigh of relief.

It wouldn't surprise me if the base RS starts at 29,995 or something, with the high end models reaching 36-37k.

Also the 2003 base Lancer was around $13,000 and the Evo started at around $27k. I'm curious to know what you think it costs to add a big turbo engine, AWD, and other serious performance add-ons.

I would buy the gently caress out of a $30K stripper RS, considering I can't imagine they would leave any go-fast bits off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Also one of my complaints. At some point you can't convince people to spend more on a Focus that starts at like $15k regardless of how much of a difference you get in engine/brakes/AWD/etc...

With everything else Ford has been doing, I find it very hard to believe they won't price this at a point where they'll sell every one they build with relative ease. It's a halo car of sorts, not a volume play.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2N6kZW8SDc

10 minute look at the new RS.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

I would buy the gently caress out of a $30K stripper RS, considering I can't imagine they would leave any go-fast bits off.

At $30k I'd take it over the $36k Golf R. At comparable/equal pricing I would much rather the grown up Golf over the youthful RS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anything north of $35K and I'm out. Maybe a used one a few years later.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tijag posted:

At $30k I'd take it over the $36k Golf R. At comparable/equal pricing I would much rather the grown up Golf over the youthful RS.

That's kind of how I feel about all of the Focus ST+ cars. They just scream "HEY, YOU PULL ME OVER!"

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

That's kind of how I feel about all of the Focus ST+ cars. They just scream "HEY, YOU PULL ME OVER!"

But that's the thing, they don't. More people, car people or not, know what the GTI is. I've never been looked at twice.

ST owners, in my personal experience, have generally been on the older side as well.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

veedubfreak posted:

You wouldn't imagine how many people have given me poo poo for having a fiesta since I got it, thinking it's a base model. Nobody knows what these cars are. Even when I say it's the ST they respond "yeah, but it's still a Fiesta." The color and the plate on my car will likely get me pulled over someday, but the fact that it's a Fiesta ST won't, and the same is probably true about the RS.

The Golf R is fast but a lot of the practicality of these little cars is removed when there's only 2 doors, and it was also rather sedate for what it was. The gear shift felt slightly better than my wife's base model Jetta, and while the acceleration was quick, the car was really quiet and overall kind of boring.

howling_mad posted:

ST owners, in my personal experience, have generally been on the older side as well.

I'm 36, and the only other guy's I know with an ST (either Focus or Fiesta) have been near 40 so your experience is similar to mine.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 3, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

veedubfreak posted:

Not if you get a white or silver one. That's basically invisibility I guess. I drive a god drat striped up Boss 302, (In which I am less than speed limit abiding in general), but it's white, and I've never been ticketed in it.

The crap, but red, rental sonic I took on a work trip a few years ago is the only car I've ever gotten a ticket in.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
No one has any idea what my black fiesta ST is, I tell people I have a ford fiesta and they always chuckle and go "well it must be easy to park!"
Yeah sure, hop in and I'll take you for a leisurely ride down some mountain roads :getin:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
People all the time ask why my exhaust is in the center when their focuses exhaust is on the side.

I have pretty throaty exhaust on mine and most people have no idea that its relatively fast until I pass someone on the highway. It may not look like a sleeper to you but most people think a focus is a focus.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
After owning a couple bright cars and test driving an orange ST and seeing the attention it got I am always happy I went with the most boring ST color, ingot silver. No tickets and no kid racers.

Now to try and convince a friend of mine to get the RS...that thing sounds so drat angry!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

You wouldn't imagine how many people have given me poo poo for having a fiesta since I got it, thinking it's a base model. Nobody knows what these cars are. Even when I say it's the ST they respond "yeah, but it's still a Fiesta." The color and the plate on my car will likely get me pulled over someday, but the fact that it's a Fiesta ST won't, and the same is probably true about the RS.

The Golf R is fast but a lot of the practicality of these little cars is removed when there's only 2 doors, and it was also rather sedate for what it was. The gear shift felt slightly better than my wife's base model Jetta, and while the acceleration was quick, the car was really quiet and overall kind of boring.

I'm 36, and the only other guy's I know with an ST (either Focus or Fiesta) have been near 40 so your experience is similar to mine.

Well, they're both only 4 doors.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Focus ST driver checking in, 38 years of age. Bought the car mainly due to this thread.

It's been essentially flawless so far, and the RS looks like a delicious bit of eurotrash. Guess I should start saving now.

A feq whinge-y things off the top of my head:

-the low mounted centre led "fog light" won't make it to North America

-will it have engine noise piped in via the speakers rather than a sound tube?

- like the 13-14 ST, front plate will look something awful

- this thing will cost Mustang GT money ( yes i know, it's an entirely different kind of driving, altogether ).

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

GutBomb posted:

When I first got my FiST I figured I'd be waving to all my new ST bros like has happened with every other enthusiast car I've owned, but every other FxST I've seen down my way has been driven by a middle aged woman. Somehow that's more biting than anything my mates have said to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

smooth jazz posted:

Focus ST driver checking in, 38 years of age. Bought the car mainly due to this thread.

It's been essentially flawless so far, and the RS looks like a delicious bit of eurotrash. Guess I should start saving now.

A feq whinge-y things off the top of my head:

-the low mounted centre led "fog light" won't make it to North America

-will it have engine noise piped in via the speakers rather than a sound tube?

- like the 13-14 ST, front plate will look something awful

- this thing will cost Mustang GT money ( yes i know, it's an entirely different kind of driving, altogether ).

I actually never put the front plate on my ST. I know it's a ticketable offense, and I've totally seen the local cops/CHP eye the car over, but nothing yet!

Secretly I think they agree that the front plate destroys the looks and let it slide.