Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

spwrozek posted:

quote:

The way I see it is you can rent a NICE room in a NICE house for 650 a month or get an average/subpar apartment for 800

This will really depend on where in Michigan he is moving. Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Ann Arbor this could be possible, anywhere else though not so much.

Where in Michigan are you going to be at?

Ann Arbor is super overpriced, actually, because of all the rich college kids. Anywhere else, and you'd have to go top of the line to pay more than $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ChipNDip posted:

This will really depend on where in Michigan he is moving. Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Ann Arbor this could be possible, anywhere else though not so much.

Where in Michigan are you going to be at?

Ann Arbor is super overpriced, actually, because of all the rich college kids. Anywhere else, and you'd have to go top of the line to pay more than $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom.
[/quote]

I just meant you can get a room in a house in those places (no where else is this really possible in Michigan). I knew a lot of people at UofM that split rooms and lived in poo poo holes but it was cheap. Any of my friends moved outside of AA once they graduated because it is way more affordable. When I was living in Jackson $715 a month got you a very nice 1/1 apartment. Grand Rapids is getting pretty pricey based on what I am told by my cousin who lives there. Super cool place. I would live in GR if I was still in Michigan.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'd appreciate some advice on how to balance my 401k contributions with filling up my emergency fund.

Here's the story so far:

Monthly net income: $1600
Current 401k: $12,000
Current pension: $8,000
Current emergency fund: $300

Monthly budget:

Student debt: $467
Rent+utilities: $465
Food: $150
Public transit pass: $100
Gas: $25
Insurance+tabs+AAA: $90 (paid biyearly, yearly, and yearly, respectively)
Cell Phone: $33
Charity: $25
Misc, but necessary (haircut, oil change, toothpaste, etc.): $100
For sanity: $100

Grand total spending: $1555

Now, my company offers 401k matching 1:1 for the first 1% and 1:2 for the next 5%. If I make the full 6% contribution that's another ~$160 off my income. $1600 is about the minimum I can expect for my income, realistically it is occasionally possible to hustle some more hours. My question is, given my age, income, and size of my retirement package, does it make any sense to walk away from any amount of the 401k matching, even temporarily, in order to grow my emergency fund? I would rate my job security as "pretty good." And any amount I don't spend from "misc" category gets dumped into my savings.

fwiw, I'm in the process of looking for more gainful employment.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A Bag of Milk posted:

I'd appreciate some advice on how to balance my 401k contributions with filling up my emergency fund.

Here's the story so far:

Monthly net income: $1600
Current 401k: $12,000
Current pension: $8,000
Current emergency fund: $300

Monthly budget:

Student debt: $467
Rent+utilities: $465
Food: $150
Public transit pass: $100
Gas: $25
Insurance+tabs+AAA: $90 (paid biyearly, yearly, and yearly, respectively)
Cell Phone: $33
Charity: $25
Misc, but necessary (haircut, oil change, toothpaste, etc.): $100
For sanity: $100

Grand total spending: $1555

Now, my company offers 401k matching 1:1 for the first 1% and 1:2 for the next 5%. If I make the full 6% contribution that's another ~$160 off my income. $1600 is about the minimum I can expect for my income, realistically it is occasionally possible to hustle some more hours. My question is, given my age, income, and size of my retirement package, does it make any sense to walk away from any amount of the 401k matching, even temporarily, in order to grow my emergency fund? I would rate my job security as "pretty good." And any amount I don't spend from "misc" category gets dumped into my savings.

fwiw, I'm in the process of looking for more gainful employment.

If you were to lose your job tomorrow, you'd be in a serious financial jam. It's worth building up your emergency buffer, especially if you're looking for better employment anyway.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I just got a new job and I'm moving from like 42k/year to 60k/year, and 65k/year if I do well for the first 120 days. Right now my wife and I have spending accounts that we put a set amount of money into every pay period. My plan is to take the extra money and NOT increase our spending accounts by a cent. Then we pay down credit cards.

Right now we live in my wife's parents' basement. What kind of financial shape should we be in before we move out?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

signalnoise posted:

What kind of financial shape should we be in before we move out?

I think it depends on how risk averse you are. I think having 12 month's worth of expenses in an emergency fund is very comforting. I recently got then almost immediately lost what I thought was a "good job." So be very careful about ramping up your expenses when your income increases. I actually got pretty lucky, in a way. The day I got fired we were about to sign a lease on a place that was way too expensive for being unemployed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

posh spaz posted:

I think it depends on how risk averse you are. I think having 12 month's worth of expenses in an emergency fund is very comforting. I recently got then almost immediately lost what I thought was a "good job." So be very careful about ramping up your expenses when your income increases. I actually got pretty lucky, in a way. The day I got fired we were about to sign a lease on a place that was way too expensive for being unemployed.

12 months?! What the crap.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

spwrozek posted:

I was unemployed for about 6 months, then I got a job for a couple weeks, then I was unemployed for another month before I found another job. If you have enough of a social safety net, where you can live with relatives if poo poo hits the fan, then maybe 12 months is a bit much. I mean, the point of planning for emergencies is that the length and nature of them is not entirely predictable. I certainly didn't expect to be unemployed so long. Lots of people are unemployed for longer periods, too. I'm sure they didn't expect it either.

Let's say you have 3 months of expenses saved, you're unemployed for 4 months. You either have to sell assets in a hurry (expensive if possible), borrow money (expensive if possible), or be evicted (difficult to find future housing). It's pretty tough to find a job while homeless.

Each person's situation is going to be unique, but there comes a point where holding a few extra month's expenses in savings is worth it, considering the downside risk of running out of money.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 19, 2014

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

spwrozek posted:

When you have absolutely no operating capital, twelve months can seem like a lot to have sitting on savings, but many regions are rather bad for unemployment and turnover, so it makes sense. It also matters that you include the correct expenses; rent matters, but those venti pentuple lattes shouldn't be part of "emergency savings".

As you grow beyond constantly being in debt, you have to move to a bit of fuzzy arithmetic. Are investments wholly play money, or part retirement, or part liquid assets? Are you sitting on a bunch of commodities that could be sold in an emergency? Have you slowly reduced your savings account to more-rapidly increase retirement savings that you could self-loan in a severe emergency?

In the end, you have to ascertain your risks and prepare accordingly.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

YNAB is currently on steam sale 25% off until January 2nd. It has gone to 50% off in other Steam sales (and even once to $15), so I'm holding out for now. Please post if you notice it gets cheaper.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Grumpwagon posted:

YNAB is currently on steam sale 25% off until January 2nd. It has gone to 50% off in other Steam sales (and even once to $15), so I'm holding out for now. Please post if you notice it gets cheaper.
Many times to $15, actually. You can setup an email alert on SlickDeals or similar for it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Found something really weird in my budget; there's apparently a month where I didn't have rent budgeted, or paid. It was a few months ago, and everything in my budget lines up with my bank account, and I'm not late on rent. The only thing I can think of it that I accidentally put it under another category. Do any of you have any other idea?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
So...look at your transactions?? Pretty simple.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

So...look at your transactions?? Pretty simple.

Yeah I realized it was a silly question after I asked it.

edit: I figured it out. It's because that's when I changed from putting my rent in the month before it was due (because that's when I paid it) to putting it in the month it was due (because that's when the check clears).

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 24, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

YNAB is on steam sale for $15 until 10pm PST today (1/31)

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Ok, so I kept avoiding budgeting because I am a student and my work hours fluctuate. However after totally spending my money for January, I obviously can't keep winging it. I will be coming back and editing the post I think. I also don't have any immediate questions, but I'm sure goon scrutiny will help.

Determine the 'period' (weekly, monthly, quarterly)
I stop being a student in May, so I will be working on a monthly budget. But for now, because school has yet to start I will have a weekly budget until February

Estimate income (monthly, yearly)
I have a part time job right now, working 5-7 hours M-F. School starts the 19th, so that will change then. Min income for this week then should be 175$, however I may not get paid for another two weeks. I should check.

Decide major categories of expenses and long-term savings goals
I am in the dorms so this week, I just really need to feed myself. I have 10$. So, it's going to be a cup ramen week.

Itemize your expected expenses and long-term savings
Well, I guess the expected expenses would be 10$.

Genuine Long term goals

start an emergency fund
Pay off cc debt

That is all I have for now. Not very exciting because I am super poor right now, and that is purely because of my lack of budgeting. I want to do better this year. I will probably update weekly for a bit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Ok, so I kept avoiding budgeting ...

Estimate income (monthly, yearly)
I have a part time job right now, working 5-7 hours M-F. School starts the 19th, so that will change then. Min income for this week then should be 175$, however I may not get paid for another two weeks. I should check.

Do you have any income after the 19th? You have seven days to create a budget. Just think of what you could have at the beginning of the summer if you don't blow it all on guys/girls/drugs/haut cuisine in the next six months.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I have a few monthly recurring subscriptions (Online TV channel subscriptions mostly). I'm cutting expenses so I tried to cancel them, but for many I couldn't find a way to cancel them online. I signed up for them with my debit card # so I assume if I just cancel the card and get a new one the charges stop. My question is, would doing this lower my credit score?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uh, call the company and ask to cancel? If there's literally no way to stop the charges, file a lawsuit because that's fraud?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pertplus posted:

I have a few monthly recurring subscriptions (Online TV channel subscriptions mostly). I'm cutting expenses so I tried to cancel them, but for many I couldn't find a way to cancel them online. I signed up for them with my debit card # so I assume if I just cancel the card and get a new one the charges stop. My question is, would doing this lower my credit score?
Probably, but not for the reason you've given. What will happen is you will cancel the card and the subscription service will continue. Finally, two to twenty months later, they'll shut down your service and send you to collections for months of missed payments.

At the absolute worst, your bank should be able to resolve any transaction to a vendor ID and provide a phone number, but you should be able to find those numbers online.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pertplus posted:

That's a good way to find yourself in collections. You signed an agreement, now you need to cancel that agreement.

Pick up the phone and call the various providers.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Amazing thread with a lot of information on making a budget. I have a question, sorry if I missed the info in the thread some where. Does any one have a formula cheat sheet for excel to help with kind of automating a budget.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!

Bigfabdaddy posted:

Amazing thread with a lot of information on making a budget. I have a question, sorry if I missed the info in the thread some where. Does any one have a formula cheat sheet for excel to help with kind of automating a budget.

I used to have an Excel book set up semi-automated for budgeting, with a tab for each month that used a dropdown list for Category and then a full year totals tab that used lookup formulas to capture all those monthly transactions in their correct month and category. So all I had to do was record expenses/deposits and Excel would do the rest.

At least, that's all I had to do until I decided I wanted to start carrying over in some of my categories. And wanted to track the balance of my savings account without showing it as a loss in my checking account. And wanted to see the current total balances on my mortgage and auto loans.

Basically, I'm saying you should cut to the chase and use YNAB (or Mint, if you prefer).

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does anyone who uses Mint know if there's a way to make it stop categorizing my auto-payments to a Best Buy credit card as purchases? It's basically double dipping since it has already counted those individual purchases on top of the whole-payment "purchase". Other than going into each transaction and saying "Hide this transaction" I can't seem to figure it out.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

drat Bananas posted:

Does anyone who uses Mint know if there's a way to make it stop categorizing my auto-payments to a Best Buy credit card as purchases? It's basically double dipping since it has already counted those individual purchases on top of the whole-payment "purchase". Other than going into each transaction and saying "Hide this transaction" I can't seem to figure it out.

Will categorizing it as a "Transfer" or "Credit Card Payment" do the trick? Those categories are not counted as spending.

Once you do it a couple times, it'll learn to categorize that transaction type as such in the future.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Will categorizing it as a "Transfer" or "Credit Card Payment" do the trick? Those categories are not counted as spending.

Once you do it a couple times, it'll learn to categorize that transaction type as such in the future.

Hmm, maybe... The option says "Always rename Best Buy as Best Buy and categorize as Credit Card Payment." yet sometimes purchases at Best Buy are just purchases. I hope it figures it out and only recategorizes the ones with "BEST BUY AUTO PYMT" in the text, but I'm worried I will forget to check up on it later and it'll start ignoring purchases I did actually make at Best Buy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'm going to have to try a fresh start on YNAB i think. I hate to lose all the spending data I've captured so far but I can't use it all for its intended purpose since it always thinks I'm overbudget by ~$2k to $7k.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Dantu posted:

I'm going to have to try a fresh start on YNAB i think. I hate to lose all the spending data I've captured so far but I can't use it all for its intended purpose since it always thinks I'm overbudget by ~$2k to $7k.
Any way to export the data, then switch to a different approach?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dantu posted:

Why don't you go back and fix where it went wrong??

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

Why don't you go back and fix where it went wrong??

Yeah, if all your accounts balance, then just reorganize the budget. If they don't balance, then reconcile, and reorganize. It's not like you have more money than whats in your accounts, so reconcile, zero out every budget, and reassign each dollar you have.

I guess the real question is, why do you think it shows you being over budget?

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
If you're consistently over budget by that kind of money, then I'd be willing to bet that you're budgeting money you don't yet have. E.g., you can't budget for what you're going to do with a particular paycheck until that money is actually in your account.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Are there any recommended iPhone envelope budgeting apps? I literally just have an iPhone and my computer at work that I don't have administrator privileges on, so unfortunately YNAB isn't an option.

I can definitely buckle down and put effort into using Mint if that's the best iPhone-only option there is. Or if Mint isn't that great I can go old-school with a ledger!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Dave Ramsey released a 'free' budgeting app yesterday: https://www.everydollar.com/

I've yet to read the ToS and see how safe my info is/isn't, so I haven't played with it yet.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

Dave Ramsey released a 'free' budgeting app yesterday: https://www.everydollar.com/

I've yet to read the ToS and see how safe my info is/isn't, so I haven't played with it yet.

If you want to link accounts for automatic transactions it appears to cost $99 a year (only option I saw there's no option for monthly payments). It also doesn't appear that you can setup an interest amount for debts so it looks like you'd have to manually add it in every month or lose line of sight to what your actual balance is.

It's a mediocre Excel template in website form from what I can tell, but I just poked around with it for a few minutes.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've been using YNAB and while it's a nice program, its philosophy just doesn't suit me. I'm not in debt, I don't live hand-to-mouth and I'm not struggling to save. I've read tutorials on it, but it seems like it won't do what I want, which is to just put all my earnings and known bills in for the next 12 months and see what's left, and have a detailed record of past transactions. Do I just need to make my own spreadsheet, or is there a good program that will suit me?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Konsek posted:

I've been using YNAB and while it's a nice program, its philosophy just doesn't suit me. I'm not in debt, I don't live hand-to-mouth and I'm not struggling to save. I've read tutorials on it, but it seems like it won't do what I want, which is to just put all my earnings and known bills in for the next 12 months and see what's left, and have a detailed record of past transactions. Do I just need to make my own spreadsheet, or is there a good program that will suit me?
Quicken does balance projections based on schedule bills and income. I assume Mint does too, but I've never used it (or not since 07 and that was only for a few days because it was horrid compared to Quicken).

https://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/tracking-your-spending/how-to-project-balances-and-cash-flow/INF24039.html

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I don't think Mint does any sort of forward projection. Assuming you don't want to buy something I'd just use Mint and then quickly calculate the forward projection in a spreadsheet.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I recently just started using the Mint Goals section, and it does some forward projection, i.e "I want to save X dollars by Y date" and it'll do the calculations based on your current budget and it'll tell you when you'll reach that goal.

If you just want to see how much money you have left over every year you might just have to use Excel.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Konsek posted:

You should be able to add transactions for your income for the next 12 months along with carrying your bill amounts out for 12 months in YNAB with manual transactions. I'm not at home to try it but I think you can run a report on it also after you enter that if you wanted. I put all of the transactions in for anything I have that is a guaranteed payment (cell phone, mortgage, car payment, uverse) out until the end of the contract. It also helps me to realize when the contract is ending and I need to call in and re-negotiate. When you sync in your bank data it will find those transactions and let you pair them with the actual bank statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Sooo this might be a bit preemptive, but how do people deal with being absolute gods of budgeting, where a budget is so solid that you have no worries about paying bills for three-to-six months, have emergency funds covered, have instant data about maximum available play money, and.... don't have to enter receipts but once every two months, can record payroll 45 days after you get it, and finally start to wonder if some of your money could do more work for you somehow?

Do you purchase software that fixes run-on sentences or what?

• Locked thread