Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Golluk posted:

I consider myself very lucky that my minimal dabbling in Bitcoins actually did pay off. I tried mining back when it was around $7, got half a coin, and then decided it wasn't worth it. Sold that half coin when it was around $800. Sure, in hindsight I could have made lots of money. But you could do that with any penny stock if you know its going up.

There was a slight temptation to try actually investing in it after that, which thankfully I didn't. I think its down around $300 now?

The real miracle is that you were able to turn it from pretend money into actual money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

quote:

Hello PF'ers
When I was 18, my parents convinced me to take out as many credit cards as I possibly could. Being an idiot, I thought this was essentially free money, and bought whatever I wanted. I bought a car, a Rolex, PS3 with more games than I could play. I'd spend about £600 a week just on eating out in restaurants and cinemas.
Somehow these banks and CC companies kept lending me more money, and bizarrely I was offered an £18,000 loan from Barclays which my parents convinced me to take.They've have always been of the mindset that you should fake it till you make it, and somehow it worked for them. Some of the loan money I used to pay back CC debts, but I literally don't know where most of it went. I spent it all in about 6-8months.
Now I'm stuck with all this debt, just paying off the minimum payment on all my debt each month is over £1.5k. I've missed payments so many times, that I can't lend any more money to pay off the debt. My older sister has told me that I should take advantage off 0% balance transfers etc, but I don't know how all that works.
I've been living a very austere lifestyle for the past six months. All of my monthly pay (around £800) goes straight into paying off whichever CC company sent the most recent threatening letter. I live at home with my parents, so my living costs and food are covered. I've already asked them for help but they've said that I should get out of this hole myself. All my debt combined, not counting the monthly accumulation of interest is over £40k.
What are my options?

40k in debt, he makes 800 a month. This one is :stare:. He bought a Rolex.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Christ, that kind of poo poo is insidious. Could he sue the companies for predatory lending of some sort? What bank is justified in lending an 18 year old that much money? I know it takes two to tango, but there's no way the lenders could have expected any other outcome. Sure, the kid sounds like an idiot, but these are regulated institutions giving children the means to get themselves into decades worth of debt.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

This is why I think it's a troll. The perfect storm of arrogance and self-deception that is just too terrible to be real.

He sounds like a junkie. He badly needs money and anything "invested" in bitcoin is going down in price in the long term. Bitcoin has dipped below $200 per coin recently and it will keep going down as there is no reason for the price to be that high. His attitudes are gently caress you got mine like every other bitcoiner, and he thinks he's rich until he burns through the entire inheritance. His sister will hate him forever when all of it is gone. Nothing new when it comes to bitcoin and being extremely bad with money.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Considering that his parents were the ones who convinced him to "take out as many credit cards as [he] possibly could" and to take an 18k loan and that they think you should financially "fake it till you make it", he's just mimicking the bad financial climate he was raised with.

Hopefully this puts the fear of god into him and he turns out better in the long run. I don't know how the UK works, but I assume most/all of that is dischargable in bankruptcy over there?

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
Jesus, that Bitcoin guy... How do you lose half of your (combined) inheritance and then go "yep, I'll just pile more money into that same hole... if only those Wall Street advisors would give me some sweet buttcoin tips I'd be back on the up and up in no time!"

I'm surprised no one has found/contacted his sister and told her to get a loving lawyer involved asap.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hibajubwa posted:

Jesus, that Bitcoin guy... How do you lose half of your (combined) inheritance and then go "yep, I'll just pile more money into that same hole... if only those Wall Street advisors would give me some sweet buttcoin tips I'd be back on the up and up in no time!"

I'm surprised no one has found/contacted his sister and told her to get a loving lawyer involved asap.
Classic gambling mentality.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hibajubwa posted:

What gets me is the part where he is debating how much to give his sister. He's young, he hosed up. poo poo happens. There's still enough money to pay for his sisters college and give her a little of the financial support she lost with her parents. But no, he still wants his inheritance. I'd like to believe no one is that selfish, but, well...

He said the agreement with his father was verbal, but without a will any estate would go to the kids 50/50. So he's on the hook for half the money in a civil suit, even if there's no hope for collection. If by some chance there was a will and he's the executor, then he could be criminally responsible.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

IAMKOREA posted:

Meet like minded people,

That's some circular reasoning right there. Of course you meet like-minded people when you go anywhere, but if you think WWOOF is a stupid idea for a vacation then you're not likely to meet many like-minded people on a WWOOF trip unless they're also masochists.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

How do you raise such a shithead like the bitcoin guy? How do you not have a will to put the decisions of a significant inheritance out of the hands of a normal 23 year old, let alone this guy? Holy christ gently caress.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
The dad was bad with money.

The brother was bad.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The dad was bad with money.

The brother was bad.

Bad sounds like maybe sometimes he laughs at happy slap videos on youtube or shoplifts a candy bar. Its kind of inadequate in this situation.

Given his other posts he will probably get her a huge life policy, be set as the beneficiary and then two days later try to murder her in a way to make it look like an accident. Given how loving inept he appears to be at life in general, hopefully his murder attempt will fail miserably too. Possibly when the FBI bust him for trying to hire someone to do it with bitcoin, since he is adverse to the idea of actually doing any work himself.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
At this point the best way for him to get his sister's money back is to take out a life insurance policy on himself and fraudulently arrange for his own murder/accidental death.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
He clearly doesn't care about getting his sister's money back.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

MrOnBicycle posted:

Wow, what a loving dick.

Also, how is it a collage's business if a freshman has a car or not?
My sisters college doesn't allow first and second year students to live off campus or have parking passes. It's a small (2000 students?) private school.

And holy poo poo that is a sad story... Why didn't the guy just put it into stable mutual funds... My god. I guess this IS why some people need a financial advisor...

jaymeekae posted:

Omg that bitcoin guy. I remember it at the time but just scrolled through his comment history again because some of his replies are pretty amazing...

GET A JOB rear end in a top hat.
Some people are so, so stupid. And it sounds like he's a junkie from reading the quotes.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Old Fart posted:

He clearly doesn't care about getting his sister's money back.

Yeah, he's just worried about getting his half (and more) back, and I'll bet if he makes the money back and she turns 21 he'll pay for college, a car and token things like he has been, but won't give her the 1/2 she's owed in cash, after all it was only a verbal agreement with a dead man and he sounds like a selfish gently caress.

I bet the radioshack person had a similar motive, they probably had a heap of radioshack stock themselves and was hoping to float the price long enough to cash out their shares and their cousins.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Some other Redditors stalked his post history and found him trolling people in the Apple forum for being unsophisticated poors who can't fathom that a $5000 laptop purchase is nothing to him.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Did somebody say...bitcoins? http://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2uovrl/me_28_f_with_my_husband_31_m_5_years_will_not/

quote:

My husband (I'll call him John for the sake of anonymity) and I have been married for a little over 5 years now and everything has been going well up until a year or so ago. We were planning on having children and everything. Now my life feels like it is at a complete stand still.

John is always bringing up these new business ideas that never go anywhere and I find it cute sometimes because it's not really harming anyone. "We should make a window shade company that simulates sunrises for people who need to wake up before sunrise". It's always weird little things like this. I just laugh because I know he will never do anything with it but he has always dreamed of doing something big.

We are both avid redditors so when we find a new subreddit that we love we get excited and start sending each other links to see if we can get the other one interested. It has mixed results and we laugh it off when he tells me he doesn't care about a new eye shadow that's coming out. Skip to 2013...

He finds out about bitcoin and is sending me links constantly about it. It goes from "check out this cool technology" to absolute cultish behavior in a very brief period. I would say 0-100 in probably 2 months. He starts taking every dime we have and buying them as quickly as he can. He actually set up a feature that BUYS MORE ON A WEEKLY BASIS after our paychecks come through. The worst part is he didn't even TELL ME he did this. He gave me this arrogant response about doing what's best for us and our future kids.

Overall, and I'm not exaggerating, I would say we have lost over $22,000. I kept telling him to sell as the price was rising and he promised me a big year in 2014. The price kept falling and he CONTINUED TO BUY MORE. He makes more money than I do but we are building a future together and we have a shared bank account. He kept telling me this was for our kids college fund, to buy a house, etc. The money...I can get over as people spend money on other stupid crap like boats they will never use but this isn't even the beginning to the absolute craziness I will see out of him over the coming year.

I am in marketing & PR and we run large events at local arenas. A big part of my job is meeting clients/investors for events to ensure them that they will get a return and basically shmooze at parties. My husband used to be great at these events. When people like you and your family, they trust you and are more willing to do business.

My husband starts bringing up loving bitcoin at these events. MY events for MY job. People here have a lot of money and he knows this. He saw this as some kind of opportunity. He goes on and on about how taxes are theft and bitcoin is a way out. The dollar is about to collapse, banks are destroying the world, etc. You are supposed to make light hearted jokes about how their football team is doing, not get into these political discussions. He knows this too since he's been coming to these events with me for years.

It starts off small where I laugh it off and say "ohhhh John, he's into technology and gets a little too excited". He saw this as condescension. The car rides home? Full on fights about how I don't get it and I'm going to be left behind. I felt like I was fighting with some type of evangelical Christian (I have been in plenty of these growing up). He ironically rips into religion any chance he gets but he is absolutely part of a cult full of insane people.

Keep in mind as this goes on he is still buying more as the price goes down telling me we have a great opportunity on our hands. I actually have a bookmark on my phone to see what the bitcoin price is because I can predict his mood for the day. I actually check the price every single loving morning to know how I should treat him that day. His entire mood is based off of the price. It will go up 10% in one day, crash 20% the next. Our whole lives is an emotional rollercoaster based off of absolutely nothing. Every time it goes up a few dollars he rubs it in my face how wrong I was. He ignores long term trends and focuses on these specific time frames to show me how stupid I am. Yes, my husband called me STUPID over THINKING I do not understand it.

I feel like I have read more about bitcoin than he has because he won't discuss any downsides with me. He tells me all problems will be fixed and we are in on the ground floor. He seems to be in a constant good news bubble about this when no one actually cares. Most of the responses he gets from people in public are feigned interest until they can get away from him or they just tell him they don't care if the converstaion lasts more than 2 minutes. I am embarrassed to be around him.

After a recent price crash, he actually bought more using our vacation fund that I have been saving away for AND planning. All gone, in bitcoin never to be seen again.

I am sorry for the long rant but this is my life now. I have tried everything. I have tried reasoning with him. I have tried explaining to him that he should not have sole control over our money. He is so confident that he slyly brings up selling one of our cars to buy more. He didn't come right out and say what it was for but I can guarantee you it was to buy more. He is ruining my job and robbing me of happiness.

I used to consider him a smart guy and I never, ever thought he would succomb to basically being brainwashed by a bunch of clueless idiots on the internet who seem to know absolutely nothing about finance or the real world. I don't know how familiar people are here with bitcoin but if you go to their subreddit, you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I started crying once reading my husband's comments worded slightly differently, repeated 100 times over. It was like I married a parrot.

My parents give that look to each other when he talks now like "ugh, what is he going to say next" every time we have dinner together. I am constantly trying to change the subject and he gets angry with me. You can tell he wants to raise his voice but since we are around my parents he holds back.

What do I DO? I am not religious in any way but my family most certainly is. I feel like I couldn't even bring up divorce and I want to save my husband. I want him back to the way he was. It seems like he is addicted to a drug but since he doesn't realize it, everyone else is wrong. I don't know if I should have an intervention or just walk away and hope he comes to his senses when I'm staying in a hotel for a few weeks.

Again, I apologize for the length but I want you to feel the way I feel so you can understand the advice you are giving. I really need help here. Thank you to anyone who even reads half of this!

tl;dr: My husband will not stop spending money on bitcoins. He brings it up every chances he gets with people he as just met. We have lost a lot of money on this and as time goes by, he wants to listen less and less. I'm scared there isn't a way to talk him out of this.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
No, I think were onto something. See, if he takes out a life insurance on himself, and "accidentally" offs himself, Then he gets his money back! And being that he's now dead, it goes to his sister, who now also has her money back.

Just two things to work out though. I don't believe you can be the beneficiary to your own life insurance policy. And two, I doubt he could find one that accepts premium payments in Bitcoins.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Does it count as bad with money if you're falling for a very sophisticated and decentralised cult? People like him (and the inheritance guy earlier) need psychological intervention by professionals, Bitcoin is way beyond a normal gambling addiction.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh dear God I feel sorry for that woman and basically anyone who has to live with a bitcoin libertarian.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
This thread used to be my happy place to come to to feel schadenfreude about others with nice BMWs but huge student loans or whatever. But some of these people need real help / have serious mental illness and that's really not funny...

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

That is exactly what's happening in a lot of Seattle neighborhoods, because it's not happening in a vacuum, by itself, with totally fungible Housing Units. Crappy, neglected, but cheap housing in a rapidly gentrifying and extremely high-demand area (where demand outstrips any reasonable pace of construction!) is being replaced by expensive luxury apartments. And, when the market should tumble back to earth, rents will remain high because the developers who threw up thousands of units during the boom will have to keep paying down their own debt.

Ballard is an excellent example - there's good supply, and if you want to rent an apartment there, you won't have much trouble finding an open unit in a nice new building. Their vacancy rate is actually the highest in Seattle. But, rents remain high, because all those new buildings put a floor on what landlords can charge before they go into the red themselves. Landlords of older, paid-off buildings will keep rents slightly lower but still high, because hey, it's an expensive neighborhood.

Buying 2 years ago in Seattle was one of the best financial decisions I've ever made. My house has gone up ~20% already.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Buying 2 years ago in Seattle was one of the best financial decisions I've ever made. My house has gone up ~20% already.

You should sell!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just enough gain to let you break even if you sell it!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ChipNDip posted:

They both drive 40-miles one way in a big truck or SUV, plus some driving around on the weekend. Based on where they live, that would put their jobs in the Philly suburbs, so it seems plausible, if stupid to people in BFC.

People do drive form that area of PA up to Philly or outskirts of Philly. Over an hour drive with no traffic, which you get a lot. Ridiculous. Even crazier in the same article is that person living in frickin Bangor PA and commuting to NYC. that is probably a 1.5-2 hour commute each way.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 4, 2015

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I had family who commuted an hour and a half into a city, and then their job required them to drive around said city all day, which they did in a fuckoff big SUV for no good reason.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Can you take the Bitcoin stuff to a bitcoin thread? This thread is better when is people going nuts with cars and crazy spending. Nerds and their crypto currency is super boring.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Just enough gain to let you break even if you sell it!

My wife has a real estate license for this purpose alone.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
How about something a little different?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/01/31/croatia-just-canceled-the-debts-of-its-poorest-citizens/

quote:

Starting Monday, thousands of Croatia's poorest citizens will benefit from an unusual gift: They will have their debts wiped out. Named "fresh start," the government scheme aims to help some of the 317,000 Croatians whose bank accounts have been blocked due to their debts.

Given that Croatia is a relatively small Mediterranean country of only 4.4 million inhabitants, the number of indebted citizens is significant and has become a major economic burden for the country. After six years of recession, growth predictions for Croatia's economy remain low for this year.

"We assess that this measure will be applicable to some 60,000 citizens," Deputy Prime Minister Milanka Opacic was quoted as saying by Reuters. "Thus they will be given a chance for a new start without a burden of debt," Opacic said earlier this month.

To be eligible, Croats need to fulfill certain criteria: Their debt must be lower than 35,000 kuna ($5,100), and their monthly income should not be higher than 1,250 kuna ($138). Those applying for the scheme are not allowed to own any property or have any savings.

Among economists, the scheme is regarded as unprecedented and exceptional. "I can't think of anything comparable," Dean Baker, co-director of the Washington-based Center for Economic and Policy Research, told The Washington Post.

Although the program is expected to cost between 210 million and 2.1 billion Croatian kuna ($31 million and $300 million), according to conflicting reports by Austrian press agency APA and Reuters, the Croatian government expects economic long-term benefits that will outweigh the short-term investment. Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic has convinced multiple cities, public and private companies, the country's major telecommunications providers, as well as nine banks to clear some of their citizens of their debt. The government will not refund the companies for their losses.

Overall, the debt of all Croats amounts to $4.11 billion -- and the debt that is about to be wiped out accounts for about 1 to 7 percent of that. However, for those who are eligible the agreement will make a significant difference by enabling them to gain access to their bank accounts. By reducing debt by less than 10 percent, Croatia frees nearly 20 percent of the country's debtors from their obligations.

Some economists, among them Baker, are skeptical whether the scheme will succeed: "I am not sure that this is the best way to help low-income people. If lenders think this can happen again they will charge very high interest rates to low-income borrowers," Baker said.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Jews have been doing it for millennia. It's called a jubilee.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

onemillionzombies posted:

How do you raise such a shithead like the bitcoin guy? How do you not have a will to put the decisions of a significant inheritance out of the hands of a normal 23 year old, let alone this guy? Holy christ gently caress.

This is the thing I really don't get. I'm 23 and I sure as hell don't know enough to handle an estate. Maybe there are 23 year olds out there who could. Why would you ever put someone with very little life/financial experience in charge of something like this?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Me neither but you'd think "Put 70% of it in one of those 2055 targeted retirement funds and the rest of it towards college" would be simple enough

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
My guess is that the dad died suddenly and didn't update his will accordingly. The idiot is only 23 so the dad probably wasn't that old. My wife and I are both guilty of not keeping our will up to date.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lostleaf posted:

My guess is that the dad died suddenly and didn't update his will accordingly. The idiot is only 23 so the dad probably wasn't that old. My wife and I are both guilty of not keeping our will up to date.

My parents' will is so old that it doesn't mention my younger brother because he didn't exist at the time. He's in college now! Update your will.

e: My folks are still alive and in great shape, this just annoys me as they're creeping up on 60.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

pig slut lisa posted:

My parents' will is so old that it doesn't mention my younger brother because he didn't exist at the time. He's in college now!

You know what to do.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Do wills override the beneficiaries you set for accounts?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

bartlebyshop posted:

This is the thing I really don't get. I'm 23 and I sure as hell don't know enough to handle an estate. Maybe there are 23 year olds out there who could. Why would you ever put someone with very little life/financial experience in charge of something like this?

I'm glad I have an older brother who's a homeowner and has more experience handling this because I wouldn't know where to start. We pushed our parents to sign a will a few years ago because they're both constantly sick and they had no will.

It's a simple will anyway, split everything between the two of us 50/50, but managing something with no experience while dealing with the grief of losing your parents is not something I would wish on anyone.

Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP

Nail Rat posted:

Do wills override the beneficiaries you set for accounts?

No. A will only applies to property that is owned by your estate. If you designate a beneficiary the property doesn't go into your estate, it goes directly to the beneficiary. The same can apply to jointly owned property depending on how it's setup. If the owners are registered as "joint tenants with right of survivorship" as opposed to "tenants in common", then the property goes directly to the other owners instead of into the estate. A lot goes into estate planning in terms of what you want to have go through the estate and be controlled by the will and what you want to be distributed out right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lovin that guy who doesn't think that low income borrowers are already subject to extortionate interest rates.

• Locked thread