Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is there a particularly compelling reason to choose a full size Fire TV over a Fire Stick if I won't be using it for playing games? The four core CPU and more RAM sound nice but I don't know how necessary that is for watching movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

Is there a particularly compelling reason to choose a full size Fire TV over a Fire Stick if I won't be using it for playing games? The four core CPU and more RAM sound nice but I don't know how necessary that is for watching movies.

I've used both.

- Fire TV comes with the voice remote. Which is cool if you have a lot of Amazon stuff.
- Fire TV has an Ethernet port.
- Fire TV has a USB port you can use which is nice if you use a lot of sideloaded apps. You can plug in a usb keyboard/mouse or a dongle like FLIRC or the Logitech Unifying Receiver.
- If you have an extremely large Kodi library, navigation can be a little sluggish on the Fire TV Stick. It's still perfectly useable but there is a difference between the two.
- The extra RAM on the Fire TV means you can expand the video cache in Kodi.
- There's a few apps that are only available on the Fire TV.

Beyond that, it's not that big of a difference. You can get a refurb Fire TV for $79 but a Fire TV Stick is fine.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I can't speak for the full Fire TV, but I do know that for whatever reason, my Fire TV stick seems to struggle with buffering on the internet from time to time with its Wifi (and the router is in the next room). Granted, I have crappy internet, but my ethernet connected HTPC in that room doesn't seem to buffer as much as the stick does. It's not all the time though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Hm.

Ethernet won't be happening no matter what so no big there. I wasn't planning on side loading anything but I guess you never know. I like Plex (I like XBMC too - haven't used Kodi) so I was probably just going to use that which I think has a native app. Also I think the phone app give you voice command or search on the Fire Stick and TV, doesn't it?

e: my wireless has been super grouchy since I moved. No idea what the hell it is - levels/MER fine on the cable modem, no appreciable errors. Tried both my RT-N56U and the built in wireless on the SBG 6580. The 6580 is actually being nicer than the router right now. Gonna roll back a couple of firmware revisions on the Asus but if nothing happens it may just be the radio. :sigh:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 18, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

I can't speak for the full Fire TV, but I do know that for whatever reason, my Fire TV stick seems to struggle with buffering on the internet from time to time with its Wifi (and the router is in the next room). Granted, I have crappy internet, but my ethernet connected HTPC in that room doesn't seem to buffer as much as the stick does. It's not all the time though.

The FireTV has the same size cache but it also has 2GB RAM so you can bump the cache to 1GB without impacting performance (this is where I have mine set to). In many cases 1GB is as large or larger than the file you're viewing.

Without increasing the cache size the default cache on any device is only 30 MB. That's an "M", not a "G". So if your sister is microwaving a hot pocket in the kitchen for three minutes you could end up waiting for the video to buffer.

Edit: if your wifi is sketchy use an app like Wifi Analyzer on your android phone to determine which channels are most in use, then switch your router to use a different channel

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hadlock posted:

The FireTV has the same size cache but it also has 2GB RAM so you can bump the cache to 1GB without impacting performance (this is where I have mine set to). In many cases 1GB is as large or larger than the file you're viewing.

Without increasing the cache size the default cache on any device is only 30 MB. That's an "M", not a "G". So if your sister is microwaving a hot pocket in the kitchen for three minutes you could end up waiting for the video to buffer.

Edit: if your wifi is sketchy use an app like Wifi Analyzer on your android phone to determine which channels are most in use, then switch your router to use a different channel

You can do this in the default Amazon settings? I never poked around there for it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No you have to push out a modified config file to xbmc folder via adb it's not an advertised feature because the lag between when I figured out how to do it and when they approved my access to edit their wiki was longer than my interest in documenting how to do it

it's called advancedsettings.xml

code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <!--- The three settings will go in this space, between the two network tags. --->
	<buffermode>1</buffermode>
	<cachemembuffersize>354857600</cachemembuffersize>
	<readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>
The number in there is 354mb, because whatever number in there xbmc triples so you end up with ~1GB RAm used :iiam:

The date on the file I pulled that from is 10/19 and I haven't had any issues so I can say it's reasonably safe. The only issuse I've seen is a tiny warning box will sometime pop up if you pause and rewind saying the cache is full but I think it's a bug with the cache monitoring system not expecting the cache to be larger than X. The warning box doesn't have any impact though, just a false alarm.

You can re-push the advancedsettings.xml over and over with different numbers until you find one that works for you, probably even for the Fire TV stick by bumping it up to 128mb.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 18, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hadlock posted:

Oh I'm well past that, believe me. I'm using a 5 gHz channel in the same room as the router and it's still shaky. Same setup used to provide 100 mbps all day but now...not so much.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is there a goon approved (tm) reasonably priced DVR that doesn't have a monthly fee and pulls down program data and works with clear QAM?

Also -- here's my program information: http://www.maxxsouth.com/wp-content/themes/maxxSouth/pdf/abbeville-oxford.pdf Wondering why I can't pick up any of the channels in the 700s on any of my TVs. Also wondering why WMC only picks up a few cable channels (CMT was one I specifically remember).

quote:

¹ All channels require a CableCARD, digital converter, Digital Terminal Adapter (DTA), or a digital ready television with QAM tuner (not provided by MaxxSouth). ² Channels require a CableCARD or digital converter. ° Channels require a CableCARD, digital converter, or Digital Terminal Adapter (DTA). A
subscription to Expanded Basic required to view Music Choice Play.

According to the disclaimer I should be able to pick them up.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 23, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Panty Saluter posted:

Oh I'm well past that, believe me. I'm using a 5 gHz channel in the same room as the router and it's still shaky. Same setup used to provide 100 mbps all day but now...not so much.

I have shoddy wifi and the stick works alright most of the time, except with XBMC. Depending on the file size it can really struggle to play properly. I have some 1gb ~25 minute kids videos for my daughter and they are really jittery and hard to watch.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

PuTTY riot posted:

Is there a goon approved (tm) reasonably priced DVR that doesn't have a monthly fee and pulls down program data and works with clear QAM?

Also -- here's my program information: http://www.maxxsouth.com/wp-content/themes/maxxSouth/pdf/abbeville-oxford.pdf Wondering why I can't pick up any of the channels in the 700s on any of my TVs. Also wondering why WMC only picks up a few cable channels (CMT was one I specifically remember).

According to the disclaimer I should be able to pick them up.

Do you actually pay for it? You might only have a few clear qam channels and the rest are encrypted. I have internet with my provider and I get basic SD cable through clear qam and local HDs with 10 or so other random HD channels. Everything is locked out. If you get a cable card through the cable company everything should come in.

For a tuner I just bit the bullet and bought a TiVo roamio. Considering all the money I'm saving I say it's worth it. Didn't feel like loving with a home rolled solution and the TiVo just works.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Panthrax posted:

Do you actually pay for it? You might only have a few clear qam channels and the rest are encrypted. I have internet with my provider and I get basic SD cable through clear qam and local HDs with 10 or so other random HD channels. Everything is locked out. If you get a cable card through the cable company everything should come in.

For a tuner I just bit the bullet and bought a TiVo roamio. Considering all the money I'm saving I say it's worth it. Didn't feel like loving with a home rolled solution and the TiVo just works.

Thanks, this pretty much answers everything. I'm in the same boat as you. guess I should just feel lucky I get what I do get.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Gozinbulx posted:

Try XBMC/Kodi and explore the video addons.

I use XBMC to watch my movies and saved TV showes still getting it figured out as to watch programs online. I have been looking through the XBMC forum but like stated I have only ever used it for watching what I already have.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
How accurate is TVFool and other antenna signal sites? I ask because I am having problems with getting a strong and consistent signal. I am just under 30 mile from the tower and all channels originate there. The sites all say I should get a strong signal.

I've tried the Leaf and a Cable Cutter Indoor/outdoor antenna. Both work okay but I get much fewer signals than I thought I should. NBC for example doesn't come in at all. Fox is SD only. Some other channels are spotty. I'd say there are about 7-8 that are solid.

How vital is placement? I know its important but can placement mean the difference between 7 strong channels and 20 strong channels? Or is it more like a few degrees better? I tried moving the antenna around a bit, from a wall to a window. That helped but the above signals are from the window placement. Right now, my living room, tv and antenna are in the northwest corner of my house but the tower is 30 miles southeast. Moving the antenna closer to the southeast part of the home would be possible but a pain in the rear end, with the need for tons of coaxial lines and going through my attic and walls. I don't want to go through all that for the slim chance of getting one more channel that is still spotty.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At 30 miles you'll probably need to do an outdoor antenna mounted some few feet above ground. The higher the better. Proper elevation is a requirement since these are radio signals. Wineguard antennas are no-nonsense, priced fairly and widely available. You could also try throwing a cable out a window and up to the roof with your indoor antenna just to see if the elevation alone fixes the problem.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Placement makes a huge difference. Even moving it from one wall to another indoors could mean the difference between getting channels or not. And at different times of day different channels need different antenna locations. I'm about 30 miles from the towers in my area and its a total crapshoot if I can pull any station except PBS and Fox at any given time of day/weather.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

When I hooked up an antenna for my mom it was a huge process of trial and error. I could point it in the precise direction out a window and it wouldn't work, and then pointing same direction through a wall and it would. I placed it outside her window (2nd level) and it didn't work, and as soon as I moved it 2' away from the window it worked fine.

When in doubt, get clear of everything and go higher, and just try dozens of spots and orientations. Then lock it down.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a non-Windows Media Center application that can do OTA TV through an antenna with a TV Tuner card? I have an old Happauge 1600 hooked up to a huge antenna, and I get really good service, but sometimes the channels just don't tune in. WMC will error out when it can't get a channel, so you can't watch the screen and move the antenna until it comes in.

Is there an app I can just to just switch to the bad channel and mickey with the antenna until it comes in? Maybe one that just gives a signal strength indicator. WMC does that, but it scans channels in order and then doesn't do real time output.

You get bonus points if you can't see the TV and someone has to yell "BETTER....NO....WORSE....MOVE IT BACK".

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So it looks like Sling TV just sent out their first batch of invites, did anyone sign up and get one? I'm still waiting patiently.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Photex posted:

So it looks like Sling TV just sent out their first batch of invites, did anyone sign up and get one? I'm still waiting patiently.

I just got mine. Haven't signed up yet though.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I just now heard of the TiVo Roamio. I think I'm going to dump Dish and run this with some Mini Tivos networked together for the whole home viewing setup (wife approval factor). With all the streaming options, and my HTPC, I think I can finally make this happen. The only snag is watching UFC fights. There are plenty of options for streaming PPV, but the free fights on Fox Sports 1 is a barrier. Is there a legal option to get Fox Sports 1 without cable/sat?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I just now heard of the TiVo Roamio. I think I'm going to dump Dish and run this with some Mini Tivos networked together for the whole home viewing setup (wife approval factor). With all the streaming options, and my HTPC, I think I can finally make this happen. The only snag is watching UFC fights. There are plenty of options for streaming PPV, but the free fights on Fox Sports 1 is a barrier. Is there a legal option to get Fox Sports 1 without cable/sat?

I'd think that with saving ~$100/mo on dish you could just go to Buffalo Wild Wings or whatever to get your UFC fix.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

PuTTY riot posted:

I'd think that with saving ~$100/mo on dish you could just go to Buffalo Wild Wings or whatever to get your UFC fix.

Guess I'll just have a friend host those nights.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The only snag is watching UFC fights. There are plenty of options for streaming PPV, but the free fights on Fox Sports 1 is a barrier. Is there a legal option to get Fox Sports 1 without cable/sat?

Cut cable myself a year ago and I was worried about watching the fights. But how do you have "plenty of options" to stream the PPV legally and not the free fights? You mentioned FS1 so you are probably in the US. The same places you can stream the PPV from also stream the FS1 fights.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

tesilential posted:

Cut cable myself a year ago and I was worried about watching the fights. But how do you have "plenty of options" to stream the PPV legally and not the free fights? You mentioned FS1 so you are probably in the US. The same places you can stream the PPV from also stream the FS1 fights.

To stream FS1 legally in the US you need to have a current satellite or cable sub. UFC PPV have multiple options including YouTube and some smart devices to watch legally without a sub to cable or satellite.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My antenna picks up every local channel with great signal but one. Is this due to antenna placement/location? ABC is kind of a big channel, you'd think it would come in with the others.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

My antenna picks up every local channel with great signal but one. Is this due to antenna placement/location? ABC is kind of a big channel, you'd think it would come in with the others.

You get to enjoy the fun of moving the antenna while shouting to your family "better? Better? NO NO BACK" good times to be had for sure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

https://www.tvfool.com and https://www.antennaweb.org are great places to help you figure out how to place your antenna.. If it's an indoor, I have found that buying an amplifier helps quite a bit. I live just about centered between the Cincinnati and Dayton markets, and easily pick up Cinci's channels without an amplifier in a brick apartment, added the amplifier and I get both markets no problem.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FogHelmut posted:

Depends, where is ABC vs the other stations, how powerful is it, is it VHF/UHF, if its VHF does your antenna have good VHF support?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

You get to enjoy the fun of moving the antenna while shouting to your family "better? Better? NO NO BACK" good times to be had for sure.

Turn on tv signal meter, point tablet at tv, skype call your phone. Hold phone in hand while aiming antenna.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Turn on tv signal meter, point tablet at tv, skype call your phone. Hold phone in hand while aiming antenna.

:eyepop:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
What is the deal with amplifiers?
I picked up a cheap tuner and an Amazon Essentials antenna, mainly for the Super Bowl as I wanted a better picture than what Dish was giving me. I couldn't get a signal until I removed the inline amplifier that the antenna came with. Everything came in real easy after that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sounds like you weren't running power to it, or you could be overpowering the tuner going through an amp.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

For me the NBC tower is like 7 miles further away that the other network antennas, so if the atmosphere is wrong I just don't get it well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Depends, where is ABC vs the other stations, how powerful is it, is it VHF/UHF, if its VHF does your antenna have good VHF support?

Please direct me to a signal meter app I can use with an antenna plugged into a tv tuner card in my Win8 HTPC. All the TV Tuner programs do a channel scan and don't actually give you real time channel strength. If you tune to a non-locked channel they just say "channel unavailable" but they don't resync if you jimmy the antenna.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Please direct me to a signal meter app I can use with an antenna plugged into a tv tuner card in my Win8 HTPC. All the TV Tuner programs do a channel scan and don't actually give you real time channel strength. If you tune to a non-locked channel they just say "channel unavailable" but they don't resync if you jimmy the antenna.

Plug the antenna into your tv temporarily.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Sounds like you weren't running power to it, or you could be overpowering the tuner going through an amp.

While it is possible to overpower your tuner with an OTA signal I can't imagine that this is a common scenario. Remember that these tuners also have ClearQAM cable in mind and as such will usually accommodate +15 dBmV using QAM256. Unless you are on top of the broadcast antenna and have a vastly huge gain amp I don't see an OTA signal even going over 0. Maybe 8VSB clips easier but I can't imagine that given its relative simplicity compared to higher rate QAMs.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Plug the antenna into your tv temporarily.

Would, but it's not close enough. I have an HTPC in my media rack in my basement with my reciever and bluray player. There's a single HDMI cable running from the receiver in the wall to my TV.

The antenna is in my attic (fourth story attic) and an coax runs down the side of the house to the basement right to the HTPC. I'd have to put another hole in the floor and move the coax up and extended it a bunch. I'd also have to switch it back and forth to use the HTPC to watch/dvr and the TV to tune. it'd be a pain. I could, however, I guess split it and run a second coax right to the TV, tune with it, and then watch it on the HTPC and use the DVR.

A realtime signal app would be much easier, but I just can't find one.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 3, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Buy a 15" tv from walmart and return it

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Buy a 15" tv from walmart and return it

I've considered that. The problem is that I can't get both WPIX (cw) and NBC with the same antenna position so every in Tuesdays I record parks and Rec and Wednesdays in have to tune in Arrow.

Its a horrible problem that makes me want to eat a bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I've considered that. The problem is that I can't get both WPIX (cw) and NBC with the same antenna position so every in Tuesdays I record parks and Rec and Wednesdays in have to tune in Arrow.

Its a horrible problem that makes me want to eat a bullet.

Parks and Rec hasn't been good for like 3 seasons, and Arrow is a comic book TV show, right? I think "read a book" is the correct solution to your problem.