Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

notoriousman posted:

On the power of recoveries, to wit they did remove gliding.

more than anything I think this was because it was confusing to control, weird to initiate, and not a mechanic that new players could understand intuitively

i think i saw more people kill themselves with gliding by immediately diving downwards, than recover, over the years of playing Brawl. this was not true in high level play but it was a frustration factor for new or casual players for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
to clarify:

edgehoggingguarding is cool and awesome because knocking someone back off the stage when they are trying to recover is :laffo:. see every time a fox tries to firefox back and gets kneed out of it by the god king captain falcon. it looks cool and is cool.

ledgehogging (hanging on the ledge so others cant grab it) is for passive pussy babies and is the best change to come out of smash 4.

e: i got my smash words wrong

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 4, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dieting Hippo posted:

to clarify:

edgehogging is cool and awesome because knocking someone back off the stage when they are trying to recover is :laffo:. see every time a fox tries to firefox back and gets kneed out of it by the god king captain falcon. it looks cool and is cool.

ledgehogging (hanging on the ledge so others cant grab it) is for passive pussy babies and is the best change to come out of smash 4.

This, I can get behind.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Notice how laplace is the only one going on weird bitter rants about what kinds of players people who like/dislike the mechanic are.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ledgehogging is great. Thank you for listening.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kaubocks posted:

Ledgehogging is great. Thank you for listening.

says the pikmin-hater

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Dieting Hippo posted:

to clarify:

edgehogging is cool and awesome because knocking someone back off the stage when they are trying to recover is :laffo:. see every time a fox tries to firefox back and gets kneed out of it by the god king captain falcon. it looks cool and is cool.

The first one is actually called ledgeguarding :goonsay:

Otherwise yes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like Pikachu a lot because he has a legit combo game and I am excited to explore the full extent of what he can do in this, the latest and final iteration of Smash.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

to clarify:

I think that is edge guarding vs ledge hogging.

Edge guarding is cool. Ledge hogging is funny but I don't really care that it's gone because trumping is cool.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I am cool with them exploring design space but ledge hogging is totally cool.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

messagemode1 posted:

Also Laplace I feel like there's too much false nostalgia and some appeal to tradition in your posts. I'm not saying melee is bad and I think melee is more hype to watch than a lot of smash 4 so far but a lot of your descriptions of the equilibrium of melee meta aren't necessarily pros, it's just what you're used to.

I got into Melee this year. I have 0 nostalgia for it. I did not play it as a kid aside from maybe a match or two at a friend's house. Most of my perspective on the game is from a design perspective, because that is literally 100% of the reason I like it.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Notice how laplace is the only one going on weird bitter rants about what kinds of players people who like/dislike the mechanic are.

I'm not really, I'm just saying "Here's the mechanic, here is how it functions and why its good" and people are trying to counter it with "no you're wrong!!! it's lame!", which leads me to believe maybe there's a perspective issue rather than an actual issue with the mechanic. I'm not really bitter at all, because people thinking its lame doesn't really change its function or why its good.

The reason why I'm the only one posting about it probably has more to do with the fact that I'm probably the person who plays the most melee/competitive smash here, so I have a pretty large knowledge base about it. So when people ask questions or ask for explanations, yes I'm going to respond.

laplace fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 3, 2015

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

As a mario player I just think all indirect and kind of anti-climactic ways of gimping enemy recovery is fun. See: water/cape

Also ledge hogging would probably make all of these crazy effective recoveries from the blast zone a little bit more tolerable.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

laplace posted:

I got into Melee this year.

I'm probably the person who plays the most melee/competitive smash here, so I have a pretty large knowledge base about it.

:lol:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

IDK what's so lol about that, knowledge is easy to learn with the wealth of resources and I spend most of my time practicing and watching competitive smash. I've had a gamecube controller in my hands since 7am this morning. I'm going to two tournaments this weekend having just come off of going to three in the past week. I don't think its weird to say I play quite a bit of smash. I recently talked to someone in my crew who's played for like, 12 years (started playing with Ken back in 2003) who is convinced I play more smash than he ever has.

SO yeah, IDK, you can consider my observations strange, disagree with them, think smash should be a party game or whatever, that's cool. But I play a lot of smash and know a lot about it. Sorry if that makes your experience worse on the Something Awful Dot Com Forums.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's not weird it's just sad.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I am sorry you feel bad about someone else's hobbies on the internet. Maybe you should play some Smash and get those negative feelings out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

laplace posted:

IDK what's so lol about that, knowledge is easy to learn with the wealth of resources and I spend most of my time practicing and watching competitive smash. I've had a gamecube controller in my hands since 7am this morning. I'm going to two tournaments this weekend having just come off of going to three in the past week. I don't think its weird to say I play quite a bit of smash. I recently talked to someone in my crew who's played for like, 12 years (started playing with Ken back in 2003) who is convinced I play more smash than he ever has.

On average, how much money do you think you earn playing competitive Smash?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Louisgod posted:

On average, how much money do you think you earn playing competitive Smash?

Just this past year? Like ~$1000? Maybe a little more? My crew alone took 800 bucks from a tournament like two months ago, and we have a pretty good money match scene in the rocky mountains.

I have a pretty good day job and Smash doesn't really get in the way of it, so it's essentially just spending money.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
drat, $1000 over the course of a year and you've only been holding the controller in your hands since 7 am? I was expecting $1,500, $2,000 tops.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISC INTO THE SLOT. IT'S SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, FOX. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME MARTHS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WON THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS TOURNAMENT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dieting Hippo posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISC INTO THE SLOT. IT'S SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, FOX. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME MARTHS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WON THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS TOURNAMENT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

not an emptyquote

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Smash is a pretty lucrative hobby if your local scene is healthy. We have a player here who took like triple what I've made in a single semester, to the point where he quit his day job just to go to tournaments. Smash is growing really quickly so now is the time to get into it, especially if you're good at Smash 4 because that is essentially free money.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
no dont you get it youre the bad kind of nerd not the good kind of nerd -me, a nerd

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Dieting Hippo posted:

2 hours including wind down every morning? Uh, he's been playing since 7AM tyvm

laplace posted:

Smash is a pretty lucrative hobby

laplace posted:

Just this past year? Like ~$1000?

lol

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
poo poo post

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

laplace posted:

Smash is a pretty lucrative hobby if your local scene is healthy. We have a player here who took like triple what I've made in a single semester, to the point where he quit his day job just to go to tournaments. Smash is growing really quickly so now is the time to get into it, especially if you're good at Smash 4 because that is essentially free money.

So he made up to $12,000 a year and quit his job? IF so, that's epic.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
post poo poo

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Since when is $1000 extra dollars doing something in you enjoy in your free time, with people you like considered a bad thing? Sure beats sitting around writing poetry. As I said, I also have a day job that pays well so it's pretty rewarding to play a game for fun and get so much out of it. Especially considering all the cool people you get to meet going to tournaments and actually participating.

Louisgod posted:

So he made up to $12,000 a year and quit his job? IF so, that's epic.

He goes to more tournaments now, so I'm sure his money is getting better. I think he's fishing for a sponsorship now, and he also streams and gets money from that. IDK if it's super sustainable and I wouldn't quit my job to play smash but if it works it works.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reiley posted:

Edgehogging is very passive and not really an interesting or tremendously cerebral way to close out a stock, especially with iframes on top of it. The new ledge trumping thing is way more dynamic and actually sets up some cool opportunities the way it puts the previous ledge occupant up in the air.

exactly this. edgehogging is one of the most dishonorable ways to take out your opponent. the only worthwhile kill is one where you cleanly knock them into the blast zone. that's why recoveries are so good in this game- the point is to get a clean kill like that. the feeling behind a kill and how you get it is important. balance has absolutely nothing to do with it.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Laplace I'm ok with you being super into super smash brothers melee and for wii u.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

messagemode1 posted:

Laplace I'm ok with you being super into super smash brothers melee and for wii u.

Thanks mm1, I appreciate your support.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mabels big day posted:

exactly this. edgehogging is one of the most dishonorable ways to take out your opponent.

I shame my famiry by playing a video game, so dishonoraburu!

*commits seppuku*

"Honor," give me a loving break ahahahahah

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

*commits seppuku*

"Honor," give me a loving break ahahahahah

You disgust me. Begone from this place.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I also like playing Smash Brothers the video game where the goal is to ensure that the opponent cannot get back on the stage but I dislike using a strategy that ensures the opponent cannot get back on the stage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

But haven't you read the bushido code scribed by Sakurai himself? It is a game... about HONOR!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Sire Oblivion posted:

*commits seppuku*

You unironically replied to an ironic comment with this

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raserys posted:

You unironically replied to an ironic comment with this

Who says I'm being ironic?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
shuatt fh ucfk up

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

thank you whalestory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Who says I'm not ironically unironic with my post? The nerve.

• Locked thread