Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's ok, let the thread die, then it can come back as a glowing blue thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

It's ok, let the thread die, then it can come back as a glowing blue thread.

Run Lowtax, Run!

Luke Skywalker posted:

Compassion is for those who deserve it.

Did this happen? Someone told me this happened. Oh god EU, you just suck so loving much. I keep asking myself why I haven't been making a living writing Star Wars novels. I have a pulse and a keyboard too.

freethought fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 3, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

freethought posted:

Run Lowtax, Run!

Use the posts.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
this is the best star wars thread, don't tell me we've run out of stupid things in the EU to laugh at

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Space cthulu, dumb superweapon factory in the middle of a black hole cluster, everyone being force sensitive, everyone stealing the death star plans... I think we might have covered it.

I mean, we could poo poo on Kevin J Anderson some more?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I decided to just hit random on Wookieepedia until I found something dumb.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Rebel_Honor_Guard

Literally everyone gets an article. EVERYONE.

necroid
May 14, 2009

freethought
Feb 24, 2011
Games count as EU right? I loved this poo poo back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD-HlPAVTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrnuGT5KxnU

But they are certainly cringeworthy. Better/worse than the prequels?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was particularly fond of the insulting text that some LucasArts employee added to one of the files in the original release of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

I just played through Shadows of the Empire on N64 and one of the titles on the end credits was something like "Didn't Attempt to Totally Sabotage the Project." The article posted earlier about all the in-fighting at LucasArts really puts that one into perspective.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Phew, I am loving happy someone already caught and reported that. As I was going to write a 10 page article on that miniscule piece of poo poo detail no one else in the world cares about.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Phew, I am loving happy someone already caught and reported that. As I was going to write a 10 page article on that miniscule piece of poo poo detail no one else in the world cares about.

I sincerely hope somebody was fired for that gaffe. How embarrassing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I heard the best EU today, from a four-year-old: "I'm just like Boba Fett except blue and red and with a clear visor, and I have all the pieces of armor except his gloves, and my visor is clear."

Then he shouted "Jetpack!" and ran across the playground.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Squizzle posted:

I heard the best EU today, from a four-year-old: "I'm just like Boba Fett except blue and red and with a clear visor, and I have all the pieces of armor except his gloves, and my visor is clear."

I could see something like that happening, yes.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Squizzle posted:

Someone get that kid a book deal!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

freethought posted:

Games count as EU right? I loved this poo poo back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD-HlPAVTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrnuGT5KxnU

But they are certainly cringeworthy. Better/worse than the prequels?

Jedi Knight is brilliant despite both the game and the cutscenes looking like utter poo poo

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

cargohills posted:

Jedi Knight is brilliant despite both the game and the cutscenes looking like utter poo poo

Yeah, it's great.

Rebel Assault 2 was always awful though. That loving Beggars Canyon mission in the TIE was a nightmare. The cutscenes are even worse than JKII, but have some surprisingly decent CG for the time. They also pepper in random clips from the movies hoping you won't notice the sudden improvement in production quality and cinematography if it's just a quick cut.Oh and th main character is called Rookie 1 for no reason. The sound test (music, not effects) was yub nub though, and playing that was the most fun part of the game.

It is also an early example of the cover based shooter genre and it was a poo poo mechanic then too.

edit: I am fairly sure Lucas did some uncredited work on the dialogue:

Rookie One posted:

You just stopped me from becoming space debris.

freethought fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 3, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Humble Bundle just launched a big bundle of Star Wars games. Twelve bucks currently for nine games.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If you don't already own every game on that bundle then you're not qualified to talk about Star Wars imo

Apart from maybe Empire at War, RTS games are boring

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

cargohills posted:

If you don't already own every game on that bundle then you're not qualified to talk about Star Wars imo

Apart from maybe Empire at War, RTS games are boring

There's a prequel game on that list. The Force Unleashed games are dreadful. If you own those games then you have bad taste and you're probably a prequel apologist to boot.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Republic Commando is great, you can't deny the truth. The Force Unleashed was pretty fun too, who doesn't want to throw stormtroopers around like they're dolls?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cargohills posted:

Republic Commando is great, you can't deny the truth. The Force Unleashed was pretty fun too, who doesn't want to throw stormtroopers around like they're dolls?

You could spend the $60 that game cost at retail on actual stormtrooper dolls and throw them around a lot longer than the 2.5 hours of mediocre gameplay in The Force Unleashed.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

homullus posted:

You could spend the $60 that game cost at retail on actual stormtrooper dolls and throw them around a lot longer than the 2.5 hours of mediocre gameplay in The Force Unleashed.

You've seen my Force Unleashed LP?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Isn't tfu what kind of set up the vader started the rebellion poo poo too?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Star Wars is usually really dumb, but the Force Unleashed may take the cake

*Vader has a secret apprentice that we never heard of before
*Secret apprentice is super powerful and is strong enough to throw Star Destroyers around and is stronger than Goku
*Secret apprentice totally kicks Vader and the Emperor's asses and almost kills them both and makes them both look like total chumps
*Said apprentice is also the guy who founded the Rebel Alliance
*Mon Mothma and Admiral Ackbar and gang get captured and are held aboard the unfinished Death Star because, well, because
*Yes, I said the Rebel Alliance exists because of this chucklefuck
*gently caress you

I didn't play the second because the 1st was so bad, but according to my roommate it's even worse and is about the apprentice's clone

Like people will say that the prequels totally ruin the story of the OT but TFU shits on it way more than ol' Georgey boy could ever dream of

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure that the whole reason Force Unleashed existed was to have crazy over-the-top Force powers like crashing a Star Destroyer, and spinnin' and slicin' Stormtroopers left and right. The plot and everything was probably just thrown together around that. They just wanted a Stylish Action Game kinda thing. Star Wars games are often like that. "Doom... but with Star Wars! Battlefield... but with Star Wars! Devil May Cry... but with Star Wars!!"

I played through the first Force Unleashed, it's fun enough if you don't think about it. Never played the second one.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Otisburg posted:

Isn't tfu what kind of set up the vader started the rebellion poo poo too?

I remember in a comic or somewhere else in the EU that suggested that Vader intentionally leaked the death star plans to make Tarkin look bad.

As for the force unleashed game... I think Georges naming of Darth icky or insaneious pretty much gives his thoughts on those 2 games story wise.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hey remember that giant facility from episode one where they fought Darth Maul? It's even dumber than a power plant http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Plasma_Refinery_Complex That's right they were extracting super heated plasma from the planet with the core made up of water.

"After exchanging several blows, the Jedi were able to force Maul back through a series of laser doors and into the chamber housing the generator's core.[1] However, unknown to the Jedi, Maul had been in this complex before; he had studied every single service platform and checked the timing of the laser gates, while bringing them to the melting pit for the final part of their duel.[3] In this small rotunda, Maul killed Master Jinn before being bisected at the waist by Kenobi's lightsaber.[1] But even as the Sith Lord fell into the melting pit below, he managed to survive this ordeal through the Force and his hatred, vowing revenge on Kenobi.[4] He went down the reactor shaft and landed in water. He was then dumped into a container, which was taken via freighter to the junk world of Lotho Minor. He would not return to the known galaxy for twelve years.[5]
Years later the site was the same arena of another deadly lightsaber duel, this time between one of the Galactic Empire's highest ranking Inquistors, Malorum and a former member of the now-extinct Jedi Order, Ferus Olin. During the duel, Olin was able to impale Malorum with his lightsaber, killing the Inquistior.[6]"

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
how did he survive being cut in half

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dyna Soar posted:

Hate cauterizes arteries.

Big K of Justice posted:

As for the force unleashed game...

The loving first one is mirrored. They got so lazy that you spend most of the second half back in areas where you were in the first half.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
When I saw that Star Wars humble bundle I was excited to get some cheap star wars games but every one of them has been a steam sale for like $1.25 so yea, I've got emm all.

I'm hardly a bloodthirsty psycho but the light saber working like a bat instead of a blade in force unleashed was loving lame.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Cyberball 2072 posted:

When I saw that Star Wars humble bundle I was excited to get some cheap star wars games but every one of them has been a steam sale for like $1.25 so yea, I've got emm all.

I'm hardly a bloodthirsty psycho but the light saber working like a bat instead of a blade in force unleashed was loving lame.

Eh, I thought you could chop stormtroopers up. Regardless the combat was poo poo. There was about twenty minutes of fun to be had loving around with stormtroopers with the telekinesis but only because of the animation tech, the controls were so loving sluggish it ended up being a pain in the arse to do anything but a quick throw, the game was obsessed with you fighting AT-ST's, the Star Destroyer bit was terrible by the standards of QTE let alone anything approaching actual gameplay and the main character was loving Crashdown from BSG.

Give me Kyle Katarn or even Dash "I really want to be Han Solo" Rendar any day of the week.

Dyna Soar posted:

He wasn't the first.

freethought fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 3, 2015

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

freethought posted:

Eh, I thought you could chop stormtroopers up. Regardless, the combat was poo poo. There was about twenty minutes of fun to be had loving around with stormtroopers with the telekinesis but only because of the animation tech, the controls were so loving sluggish it ended up being a pain in the arse to do anything but a quick throw, the game was obsessed with you fighting AT-ST's, the Star Destroyer bit was terrible by the standards of QTE let alone anything approaching actual gameplay and the main character was loving Crashdown from BSG.

Give me Kyle Katarn or even Dash "I really want to be Han Solo" Rendar any day of the week.

Yea, Force Unleashed was one of those games where all you needed was the demo, throw stormtroopers into walls, see the thing where you lift a trooper up and he grabs another trooper out of panic, and you're done.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

freethought posted:

Rebel Assault 2 was always awful though. That loving Beggars Canyon mission in the TIE was a nightmare. The cutscenes are even worse than JKII, but have some surprisingly decent CG for the time. They also pepper in random clips from the movies hoping you won't notice the sudden improvement in production quality and cinematography if it's just a quick cut.Oh and th main character is called Rookie 1 for no reason. The sound test (music, not effects) was yub nub though, and playing that was the most fun part of the game.

All I remember about Rebel Assault 2 was that the demo crashed my computer because it wasn't powerful enough to run it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Yea, Force Unleashed was one of those games where all you needed was the demo, throw stormtroopers into walls, see the thing where you lift a trooper up and he grabs another trooper out of panic, and you're done.

The first level was one of the best Star Wars games ever. Then the rest of the game happens.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Gammatron 64 posted:

Star Wars is usually really dumb, but the Force Unleashed may take the cake

*Vader has a secret apprentice that we never heard of before
*Secret apprentice is super powerful and is strong enough to throw Star Destroyers around and is stronger than Goku
*Secret apprentice totally kicks Vader and the Emperor's asses and almost kills them both and makes them both look like total chumps
*Said apprentice is also the guy who founded the Rebel Alliance
*Mon Mothma and Admiral Ackbar and gang get captured and are held aboard the unfinished Death Star because, well, because
*Yes, I said the Rebel Alliance exists because of this chucklefuck
*gently caress you

I didn't play the second because the 1st was so bad, but according to my roommate it's even worse and is about the apprentice's clone

Like people will say that the prequels totally ruin the story of the OT but TFU shits on it way more than ol' Georgey boy could ever dream of

At least at the time of release, Force Unleashed was G-Canon, none of this EU bullshit :getin:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Forced Unleashed 1's plot is hilariously bad but entertaining. 2 is just bad, with some pointless and unnecessary cameos and really nothing creative going on under the hood in any aspect of the game, it's a total cash-in. Letting you be Force Goku in Star Wars was a really good idea and having a plot where Vader and Sheev have to job is also OK, because at the end of the day, they are the iconic villains of Star Wars and most of the successive villains in the EU have been ripoffs of them.

Force Unleashed was playable all the way through but the game's only solution to increase the difficulty in any way was to prevent you from doing all the cool things you could do in the demo. Which is to say, the game was not difficult at all and fairly repetitive at that. Also a bit buggy. It's been way too long since an actual good Star Wars game came out.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I don't understand why they dony just crank out a new battlefront or x-wing/tie fighter game every other year. No need to write any (conflicting/terrible) storyline, just have online support and would be like printing money :shrug:

I just wanna fly around in a space plane and shoot my friends :(

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Because George couldn't then spend 15 mins of his day coming up with names and back stories.
Only to then reverse his decision 5 months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Forced Unleashed 1's plot is hilariously bad but entertaining. 2 is just bad, with some pointless and unnecessary cameos and really nothing creative going on under the hood in any aspect of the game, it's a total cash-in. Letting you be Force Goku in Star Wars was a really good idea and having a plot where Vader and Sheev have to job is also OK, because at the end of the day, they are the iconic villains of Star Wars and most of the successive villains in the EU have been ripoffs of them.

Force Unleashed was playable all the way through but the game's only solution to increase the difficulty in any way was to prevent you from doing all the cool things you could do in the demo. Which is to say, the game was not difficult at all and fairly repetitive at that. Also a bit buggy. It's been way too long since an actual good Star Wars game came out.

Force Unleashed 2 was a victim of Lucasarts shutting down. It was the bare minimum of a game and right after the release they shut down the studio.

• Locked thread