Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

And the odds of the Thunder sneaking into that 8 seed are getting longer by the day.

Okc is only 3 games out of the playoffs after getting through the month of January where they only played 4 home games. You better hope the Suns and Pelicans don't go on a losing streak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Haha

Who is that pissed off assistant coach?

Also, WNBA news!

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/3/7973177/diana-taurasi-sit-out-wnba-season-russian-salary

Diana Taurasi will sit out the WNBA season because her Russian team asked her to. They will pay her WNBA salary ($107'000) on top her regular salary for playing in Russia ($1'500'000).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Okc is only 3 games out of the playoffs after getting through the month of January where they only played 4 home games. You better hope the Suns and Pelicans don't go on a losing streak

The Pels have the most home games left of any team, iirc, and have a relatively light SoS for those remaining games. Was listening to a fan beat writer and he put the odds for all three of these teams at 33%, which sounds about right to me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Jack's Flow posted:

Also, WNBA news!

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/3/7973177/diana-taurasi-sit-out-wnba-season-russian-salary

Diana Taurasi will sit out the WNBA season because her Russian team asked her to. They will pay her WNBA salary ($107'000) on top her regular salary for playing in Russia ($1'500'000).

That seems like a pretty good wage overseas. I wonder if they are able to make a profit off it and, if so, why we can't do the same here? I'd support a women's professional team in Baton Rouge (not like it would ever happen, even in the best of times).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
News:

quote:

ATLANTA (WXIA) – The Atlanta Hawks' winning streak of 19 games came to an end Monday night in New Orleans at the hands of the Pelicans.

The team's social media presence across the web has been an important part of their overall marketing efforts during the streak, and even though the streak has come to an end, their social media department still did not disappoint their fans.

The team penned a thank you letter of sorts to fans, but embedded the letter within the names of the songs of its new Spotify playlist.

The note itself reads, "Dear Atlanta, We can't stop thinking about you. Thank you for your support over this season of dreams. The streak may be over, nonetheless, we are just getting started. We love you. Let's go make more memories together. Love, The Hawks."

http://www.11alive.com/story/sports/nba/atlanta-hawks/2015/02/03/hawks-spotify-thank-you-letter/22813447/

Here's the link to the Spotify playlist: http://bit.ly/1uV8aqA

Views:
Whoever is managing social media for the Hawks rocks.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

thompson posted:

Snappp!! You just got me pretty excited. I had no idea the championship trophies were on display. I'm pretty well geeked up now. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah it's a cool case and they rope it off so you can take photos in front. Section 117 if I remember correct (right across from the team shop).

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

The Pels have the most home games left of any team, iirc, and have a relatively light SoS for those remaining games. Was listening to a fan beat writer and he put the odds for all three of these teams at 33%, which sounds about right to me.

the two games this week of okc vs no are going to change those odds really quickly for both teams

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Metapod posted:

the two games this week of okc vs no are going to change those odds really quickly for both teams

looks bad for us

especially since it's looking like KD won't be playing in them

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I want to discuss the NBA Eastern Conference, namely how good the Hawks and Raptors are doing.

I should b a lot more happy for their success, but I'm really threatened/fearful of them in regards to the Cavs. (Which is stupid because I SHOULD just be relaxed about things now, and enjoying some great basketball from all involved).

Also in the West, do you guys feel that the Griz and Warriors are "Finals"-caliber or do you feel it's still going to be one of the Texas teams?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 4, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Every Western playoff team except maybe Phoenix would be the favorite in the Finals I think. Or at least I thought that a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what to make of Atlanta at this point.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mandrel posted:

looks bad for us

especially since it's looking like KD won't be playing in them

in russ i trust

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also in the West, do you guys feel that the Griz and Warriors are "Finals"-caliber or do you feel it's still going to be one of the Texas teams?

It will largely depend on the opening match-ups and who is/isn't crippled with injuries

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

I want to discuss the NBA Eastern Conference, namely how good the Hawks and Raptors are doing.

I should b a lot more happy for their success, but I'm really threatened/fearful of them in regards to the Cavs. (Which is stupid because I SHOULD just be relaxed about things now, and enjoying some great basketball from all involved).

I think Atlanta's offense will tear Cleveland apart. That's not to say it wouldn't be a close series because you never know what Lebron is capable of, but I just don't see how Cleveland defends that team.

GS and Memphis should be the favorites to get out of the West, in my opinion.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Papercut posted:

I think Atlanta's offense will tear Cleveland apart. That's not to say it wouldn't be a close series because you never know what Lebron is capable of, but I just don't see how Cleveland defends that team.

GS and Memphis should be the favorites to get out of the West, in my opinion.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/400578758/gameId/400578758/cleveland-cavaliers-vs-atlanta-hawks

Trying to get an overall feel in regards to them at full-strength.

The series is 2-1 Atlanta....HOWEVER, one of those games was when LeBron and Horford were both not playing. Also not fair to judge the first two games because both the Cavs were a different team due to the trades that were made.

I wish we could be seeing these games play each other about now to give us a better idea.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Every Western playoff team except maybe Phoenix would be the favorite in the Finals I think. Or at least I thought that a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what to make of Atlanta at this point.

It seems like the West has always been good since the early 2000's. Even with the Lakers down and the Spurs aging? They're still incredibly tough. That's just amazing to me.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

FuzzySkinner posted:

One of the Texas teams. Can you even imagine Steph Curry with The Look? It'd be like a chinchilla scowling in an eyepatch.

The Hawks are amazing but I don't know how you can look at their roster and think they're not playing way over their heads.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

Hot-Take Alert:

Durant doesn't have the killer instinct needed to hardball role-players on contracts. He's too nice and just wants everyone to be happy so it leads to Presti giving too much money to good locker room guys. He just doesn't have The Will To Win.

Hahaha

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/400578758/gameId/400578758/cleveland-cavaliers-vs-atlanta-hawks

Trying to get an overall feel in regards to them at full-strength.

The series is 2-1 Atlanta....HOWEVER, one of those games was when LeBron and Horford were both not playing. Also not fair to judge the first two games because both the Cavs were a different team due to the trades that were made.

I wish we could be seeing these games play each other about now to give us a better idea.

It seems like the West has always been good since the early 2000's. Even with the Lakers down and the Spurs aging? They're still incredibly tough. That's just amazing to me.

Historically, head to head record doesn't mean anything at all in the playoffs. You just have to look at the matchups and season long production and see what you can see. Atlanta seems markedly better, but you cannot discount healthy Lebron. He's a monster truck with a grappling hook. It will be interesting if they play in round 2.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 4, 2015

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

If the Cavs played the Raptors right now I'm thinking Cleveland wins in 5.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The Hawks are amazing but I don't know how you can look at their roster and think they're not playing way over their heads.

Millsap, Teague, and Horford are fantastic players and they have a deep bench???

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean Atlanta doesn't really have any -
"superstars" but its a overall super talented team.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Head 2 Head never loving matters. Let me tell you the head2head record of the 2 healthy year rose years vs. the Lebron heat and how much that mattered

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Phoenix vs Atlanta would be a pretty good series.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Head to head matters if both teams were at the same health as their playoff roster when they met at each point in the season. That's almost never the case so it matters less but isn't irrelevant.

Have the Hawks and Warriors played this season? I'd have a hard time seeing anyone else as the overall title favorite than one of those two right now.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nuggets mutiny??

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_27449493/nuggets-brian-shaw-suspects-players-may-be-trying

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

attackmole posted:

Millsap, Teague, and Horford are fantastic players and they have a deep bench???

They're on pace for like 68 wins and haven't as far as I know changed their roster significantly from before the season. What's the most generous preseason prediction you can find?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Libertine posted:

Head to head matters if both teams were at the same health as their playoff roster when they met at each point in the season. That's almost never the case so it matters less but isn't irrelevant.

Have the Hawks and Warriors played this season? I'd have a hard time seeing anyone else as the overall title favorite than one of those two right now.

They play within the next week or so, I believe.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Libertine posted:

They play for the first time on Friday.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

They're on pace for like 68 wins and haven't as far as I know changed their roster significantly from before the season. What's the most generous preseason prediction you can find?

Well they didn't have Horford for like 2/3rds of the season last year but yeah they're obviously playing out of their minds.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

All former player coaches ever associated with Phil seem to be tainted hard.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

attackmole posted:

I mean Atlanta doesn't really have any -
"superstars" but its a overall super talented team.
They're on pace for nearly 70 wins, it's not an insult to say they're playing over their hand. The amount of teams that would legitimately expect 65+ wins is very, very small to begin with and those are usually the teams with the unanimous MVP plus a few other top 10 players in the league. Lots of their guys are having big time career years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The thing I will say about the Hawks is that they would be better than several of the teams that came out of the East in the 00s.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Super game changer Thabo Sefolosha

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Feels like a Jackson+Lamb or Perry Jones for Wilson Chandler trade is inevitable. Surely Reggie can improve everyone's spirits in Denver by giving full effort on every play.

e: wow they're getting lit up by Philly. I'd expect everyone but Nurkic, Faried, and Lawson to be on the block for a decent price soon.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 4, 2015

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's that time of year for ESPN to publish NY Knicks fan fiction with hilarious leading questions like "how do you rebuild a championship caliber team around a 30-year old star player coming off a major injury?"
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-knicks/post/_/id/61042/melo-on-knicks-rebuild-the-time-is-now

It just gets better paragraph by paragraph.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

They're on pace for nearly 70 wins, it's not an insult to say they're playing over their hand. The amount of teams that would legitimately expect 65+ wins is very, very small to begin with and those are usually the teams with the unanimous MVP plus a few other top 10 players in the league. Lots of their guys are having big time career years.

That's fair. I was probably just having a knee jerk reaction to criticism of their roster. Their probably gonna slump at some point, but their roster is legitimately good. Now I'm basing a lot of that off of their play this year so maybe I'm just doing circular logic here. But the base was there in Teague/Millsap/Horford/Korver/etc, they've just all elevated their games a little bit and their chemistry is through the roof and it's come together into some great basketball.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The Hawks are approaching the game of Basketball like a team sport

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hitze posted:

The Hawks are approaching the game of Basketball like a team sport

The Secret

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'd give the Hawks a punching chance if they make the finals. I'd have to think the West team would be heavily favored but you never know. Injuries, they get all fatigued playing 7 game series while the Hawks play the Hornets or Pistons or whatever in the first round.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think the Hawks have as good a shot as anyone. I also think the Cavs have the most talent in the league and that will make them competitive with anyone. Should be a great series if they meet up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only thing I wish is a fully ready roster for the playoffs, always hate what-ifs like a lot of Thunder runs with injured players or that one time Zbo got suspended because he elbowed Steven Adam's face.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae posted:

The only thing I wish is a fully ready roster for the playoffs, always hate what-ifs like a lot of Thunder runs with injured players or that one time Zbo got suspended because he elbowed Steven Adam's face.

you can't blame zbo for adams being so punchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Libertine posted:

It's that time of year for ESPN to publish NY Knicks fan fiction with hilarious leading questions like "how do you rebuild a championship caliber team around a 30-year old star player coming off a major injury?"
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-knicks/post/_/id/61042/melo-on-knicks-rebuild-the-time-is-now

It just gets better paragraph by paragraph.

I thought signing Melo was a mistake. They really should have pushed for a S&T and gotten some assets.

Even if they nail Okafor in the draft, he's probably not going to be a good player for a couple years. They don't have a 1st in 2016 so tanking next season is pointless. It seems doubtful the top free agents would leave to play for them this offseason. Just seems like by the time they dig themselves out of this hole Carmelo will be well out of his prime.

• Locked thread