Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Ann worked because while she was often the straight woman to a given character, she also had quirks of her own that made her interesting instead of drab like Mark.

True story, I forgot Mark existed until he was brought up by the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ann worked because she was the straight woman to the main character.

But if Ann had been axed and Mark given room to grow, it's possible he could have been developed into a likeable character too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
What works is that the straight characters, Ann and Ben, also have unique aspects about themselves that allow them to play the non-straight character, basically role reversal. Ann is normal except when she starts dating and picks up the traits of whoever she is seeing. Ben is normal, but will nerd out from time to time. It works because he isn't constantly portrayed as that. Basically the characters aren't one dimensional, so it works.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Tom's not my favorite character, but poo poo like this was absolutely classic and a few of my friends still call sandwiches Adam Sandlers sometimes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zedd posted:

Both mark and early s3 Ben+chris (when he didnt show his fun side as leslie would say) would be too much but outside of that mark was fine.

It's funny to think back to when Ben & Chris were introduced and people were wondering if Chris's affability was just this calculating cover to let Ben take the heat for all the terrible things they would do to a town.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair it really seemed like that is where it was going. I'm glad they didn't go in that direction though because Chris ended up being a pretty good character.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

inthesto posted:

Ann worked because she was the straight woman to the main character.

But if Ann had been axed and Mark given room to grow, it's possible he could have been developed into a likeable character too.

Mark and Ann are totally different types of straight men/woman. Ann is the type who goes along with Leslie or whoever's wackiness but then also tries to keep them grounded by saying something sensible. Mark is the type who looks irritated by the other's antics and then makes some sarcastic remark; the problem being that most of his quips are less funny than the thing he was reacting to.

It's like the Jim to Mark comparison you mentioned before, and how they are meant to be audience surrogates. Jim works because Dwight and Michael are funny but also annoying and obnoxious people, so him giving an exasperated look to the camera matches what the audience is feeling. Ann works because Leslie, Andy et all are funny but also seem genuinely fun to hang out with; Mark doesn't work because his sarcasm comes across as him being a boring kill joy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of want to go back and watch season 1 again now. It's been a while but I do remember they hadn't found their groove at all and most of the characters changed drastically by the second season. Didn't Leslie start out as a borderline Michael Scott?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's weirdly mean-spirited Season 1. That's why I put off watching it for years, I didn't see why people thought I'd like it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I started the show in season 2 and went back to watch season 1 after I caught up to where the show was current. And holy poo poo, Andy was the biggest rear end in a top hat in season one, I couldn't believe how much they managed to turn him around into a likable character after that.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 3, 2015

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

NESguerilla posted:

I kind of want to go back and watch season 1 again now. It's been a while but I do remember they hadn't found their groove at all and most of the characters changed drastically by the second season. Didn't Leslie start out as a borderline Michael Scott?

She is ending like Michael Scott, too. Leslie is Michael Scott on a sales call. She is super irritating, but oddly competent. She has been the worst part of the show for the past few seasons/ Every other story has been funnier, and better. Exactly how Michael was.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hell no, Leslie's the best thing about the show. She is the one who keeps it from being a black comedy and turns it into an optimistic, happy place to get comedy.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Plus, the Tammy impressions. And AdLib lyrics.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pakled posted:

I started the show in season 2 and went back to watch season 1 after I caught up to where the show was current. And holy site, Andy was the biggest rear end in a top hat in season one, I couldn't believe how much they managed to turn him around into a likable character after that.

Andy was the only funny thing in season 1. The whole season was terrible except maybe the last 2 episodes.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
According to TV Guide there's only one new episode tonight, with a rerun of the season premiere at 8:30.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hcreight posted:

According to TV Guide there's only one new episode tonight, with a rerun of the season premiere at 8:30.

Yep as I guess the final episode is considered two episodes not just one extra long one.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Yeah, just one episode:
Donna and Joe
April does everything in her power to make sure Donna and Joe's wedding goes according to plan; Ben and Leslie receive an enticing offer from Jen Barkley; Ron inadvertently creates an uncomfortable situation between Tom and Lucy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Interestingly, we know Ron's cabin (one of Ron's cabins) is not in Indiana, as Indiana has neither elk nor an elk hunting season.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Donna still hates Levondrius. :)

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Control yourself, Gergiches!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"What's that horrible sound?"
"Children..."

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That was HUGE

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

We know that Ben is a human disaster, he should not be running for Congress,

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
GINUWINE, GET IT TOGETHER.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
The entire series was worth it for that moment. April dressing down the Meagles holding tongs was incredible.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Need Ben dancing gifs NOOOOOOW

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What I'm taking from this is that these two people should never get drunk again. :allears:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
EDUCATION AND... 8675309!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

That was beautiful :3:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
GARRY! :3:

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Garry!
Garry!
Garry!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, Questlove is Donna's brother hahahahaha

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Ginuwine was so sad

?uestlove!

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Yaaay Garry! He's so blessed! :allears:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Another great episode.

I am wondering how they're going to balance bringing in another major storyline like this with the show heading towards the home stretch here. Another time jump on the way, maybe?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm worried about the upcoming episode title, Two Funerals :(.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pick posted:

I'm worried about the upcoming episode title, Two Funerals :(.

Amy Poehler teased that in one interview...

That said, viewers can expect a big, emotional send-off in the series finale, which will air on Tuesday, February 24.

“Everyone is there at the end,” Schur said. “The last moments of the show are everybody in the same place at the same time.”

Added star Amy Poehler: “We do say goodbye to some ancillary characters. A lot of them get to say goodbye in different ways, by leaving... or dying.”

Oh, and that same interview backs up what I was saying before about it being their decision to end it and not NBC's.

quote:

Schur and Poehler said it was their decision, and not NBC’s, to end the show after a 13-episode seventh season.

“We pretty quickly came to the same exact conclusion,” Schur said. “As we were heading toward the second half of Season 6, it was like, ‘I feel like it’s one more year and I feel like it’s a short year.’ That’s just what we felt in our guts was the right move creatively. … And then, that’s what we got to do.”

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 4, 2015

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Kathryn Hahn! ?uestlove! What's-his-name Garry! This is the best loving show.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
What a great episode and reminder of how Parks & Rec is an example showing that sitcom conflicts can come from places other than awkward revelations and sudden catastrophe or malice.

Leslie 100% supporting Ben's congressional run was so uplifting and optimistic, and a great episode for them as a couple to end the series on if we don't get another Wyatt-Knope Family-centric plot. We see what really makes them work as a TV pairing: their enthusiasm for both their lives in and out of the relationship, and a not-tremendously idealized view of balancing those two worlds.

No "the wedding might be/has been ruined by an insane accident or interaction" moment, which is outright miraculous for a sitcom. Instead, the writers found a way to make the even compelling without any shock moments.

The Tom/Lucy/Ron plot was predictable, though.

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tin can made man posted:

No "the wedding might be/has been ruined by an insane accident or interaction" moment, which is outright miraculous for a sitcom. Instead, the writers found a way to make the even compelling without any shock moments.

The Tom/Lucy/Ron plot was predictable, though.

This show has had three weddings and only one sort of had that.

• Locked thread