Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I asked the same question regarding wide angle lenses in the Nikon thread and got some good responses staying on page 70 (phone posting otherwise I would link). May need to double check to make sure the mentioned lenses have a focus motor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

HungryMedusa posted:

The company I work for needs a camera that can take good wide angle indoor shots of art and graphic displays. Our sales people have been taking shots with their iPhones and also the company DSLRs that turn out terrible. I have been telling them for a few years that at least we need a tripod, flash and wide angle lens in order to get decent shots of our work. They are finally humoring me after I brought in my personal gear to shoot better photos. (T2i with Tamron 17-50 and 270ex, so nothing great, but better than we were getting.)

We already have a Nikon D3100 and a Canon Rebel XT with kit lenses :ohdear: Clearly if I go the lens and flash route, I would go with Nikon for the newer camera. I only really know Canon stuff, so what would be good for the Nikon? The 10-24 3.5-4.5 ? I have found that a lot of our displays are in tight quarters, so a wider angle would be great. It would also force people not to zoom in as close as possible. I would probably go with a pretty cheap flash as long as it could be pointed toward the ceiling.

The other possibility I thought of is if there is a newer mirrorless or p&s option I should look at? I am the closest thing to a photographer that works here, but I will only be going out on site maybe 1 out of 5 jobs. So we need something relatively simple to use. If I can't teach people to at least get the horizon line straight in their photos, It will probably be difficult to teach them how to bounce a flash, take longer exposures with the tripod, etc.

The photos don't need to be huge; they are mostly for our web site. They just need to be bright and clear without so much noise.

Just curious, why do you need a flash if you're shooting stationary subjects on a tripod? Particularly in the case of artwork, I'd guess the lighting that's provided ought to be pretty reasonably balanced anyway, even if it might not necessarily be all that bright. That said I don't really know what sort of lighting you usually have to deal with, but do you often find you actually need the flash rather than just longer exposures?

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 13, 2015

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

My ideal setup for travel is mostly based on what I'm doing and how I'm doing it more than where I'm going.

Touristy/Sightseeing Vacation:
If I'm going on a touristy trip with friends/family/SO, I bring the DSLR. If I have a safe place to leave my bag that I will have regular access to, I bring the 6D, a 12-24*, 24-105 f4, 70-200 2.8, and maybe a speedlite. All that fits in my Think Tank Retrospective 20, which is heavy but not very bulky. Once I get to the hotel room/safe place for the bag, that bag is going to stay there.

From there when I go out, I bring one of the three lenses depending on my mood/what I think best fits the area. Don't bring more than one. Your goal is to have fun on vacation, not slow everyone down dicking around with gear while breaking your back in the process. It's just not worth the hassle. The only exception to this is if I'm on some kind of tour/day trip to a really special place. By special I mean a 7 wonder of the world or something. Places I might be not be able to get back to.

As far as tripods go, I'd only bring one if I were going to have a car or have specific plans to shoot night time stuff ( like maybe a firework show). Tripods are too much of a pain to carry around on vacation and they do you no good in the hotel room. If I have it in the car, it's close by and I don't have to carry it around. I find it useful for doing old fashioned (and not lame) selfies, because hey you're on vacation and that's what you do. Generally, I don't like to leave camera equipment in the car, however, I figure if the tripod gets stolen, I won't be ruined.

Now if you don't have a safe place to stash your gear or have to travel lighter, bring the camera and 24-70/24-105 (or 17-50 for crop) and have that sucker on you at all times. I like those ranges because they are actual wide angle lenses on the wide end. You can zoom with your feet on the long end but you can't do too much to make your lens wider. If you're more of a prime person, bring your favorite prime.

Event/Party Vacation:

If I'm going on a trip that's not about sight seeing, like say a multiple day music fest, a convention, or maybe gambling in vegas, I just bring a point and shoot. It's better to enjoy the show/ activities /whatever while not having to worry about shooting. For as little as I'll probably shoot, it's not worth carrying a DSLR. This is especially true if I plan on getting drunk.

Photography trip:

Bring what ever you think you'll need with you. Work at your own pace and don't pay any mind what anything thinks you look like with all that gear. The goal isn't to look cool, it's to make awesome photos. What I bring is the 6d, 3 zooms listed above, a speedlite, flash triggers, a type of clip mount for the flash, filters, 2x extender*, tripod all in camera backpack. It's bulky and heavy but manageable. It slows me down, but so what, it's good to slow down as a photographer.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Disposable cameras are so good for music festivals. There are also some $20 cameras on Freestyle Photo's website that are basically disposable camera (same constant f/8 aperture and constant shutter speed) that take roll film if you want to go through multiple rolls of film without going through multiple cameras at a festival.

I find point-and-shooting with disposables to be way more point-and-shooty than a digital point-and-shoot.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I like having a good point and shoot so I have a better chance to take good pictures with out having a DSLR flop around. That plus crowds plus alcohol is bad news.

Even if I don't care (which is sometimes the case) I don't see any point in bothering with a cheap digital or disposable camera since most smart phones are better than that.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
olympus xa2/xa3 is what you want

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I go to some pretty crazy metal shows/fests and I never really worried about breaking my point and shoot. I mean my phone is way more fragile than any camera I've ever owned anyway. As long as it's pocketable, that's all that matters.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Jimlad posted:

Just curious, why do you need a flash if you're shooting stationary subjects on a tripod? Particularly in the case of artwork, I'd guess the lighting that's provided ought to be pretty reasonably balanced anyway, even if it might not necessarily be all that bright. That said I don't really know what sort of lighting you usually have to deal with, but do you often find you actually need the flash rather than just longer exposures?

Usually the art has a bright light in the middle which washes out the center of the piece on long exposures. Other times a long wall might have several spot lights that cause hot spots all along it. Then there are the hallways that are dark as hell with a window at the end that will look like God is coming for you. I guess what I am saying is that not all of our placements are good for long exposure. There are also times when I need the flash for fill against strong back light.

E: I think I may have convinced my boss to just hire a photographer. He is beginning to see that you need talent + decent gear to get the shots he wants. So that's good; supporting local artists and all.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 15, 2015

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Any good sling-style camera bags that can also hold a 13" Macbook air? I'd like a smallish bag to take on work trips, but it needs a pocket large enough to hold a laptop. A traditional backpack would work too, although I'd like a sling if possible.

I skimmed Amazon, and the only thing I saw which might work was a Pacsafe sling...but I don't really need all the extra security features. Thoughts?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

polyfractal posted:

Any good sling-style camera bags that can also hold a 13" Macbook air? I'd like a smallish bag to take on work trips, but it needs a pocket large enough to hold a laptop. A traditional backpack would work too, although I'd like a sling if possible.

I skimmed Amazon, and the only thing I saw which might work was a Pacsafe sling...but I don't really need all the extra security features. Thoughts?

LowePro has a fantastic search/finder for their stuff now, where you can break things down pretty specifically. This is everything they list for 13" laptops. No slings, but some good messenger bags and backpacks.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

DJExile posted:

LowePro has a fantastic search/finder for their stuff now, where you can break things down pretty specifically. This is everything they list for 13" laptops. No slings, but some good messenger bags and backpacks.

Well, this is pretty awesome, I had no idea they had such a nice search. Thanks!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

polyfractal posted:

Well, this is pretty awesome, I had no idea they had such a nice search. Thanks!

Welcome :cheers:

Anything that can fit a larger tablet should work as well.

E:vvv yeah ThinkTank bags look fantastic.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 16, 2015

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

polyfractal posted:

My wife just got me a ThinkTank that's big enough for a laptop and a decent amount of camera crap but still looks nice.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I have a couple think tank bags (retrospective 20 and second brain tablet) and they are by far the most well designed bags I've ever seen. The pockets are well thought out and the material/construction is excellent; almost to an excess.

It's weird to say this about a bag, but they're a joy to use.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Check out Vanguard as well. I have their megahuge one and it's fantastic, but I think they've got some smaller bags too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Samyang has released a new lens, a 135/2. As usual, it's priced at half the cost of the equivalent Sony/Nikon lenses and as usual it crushes their optical performance handily.

Hail Satan :unsmigghh:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

Samyang has released a new lens, a 135/2. As usual, it's priced at half the cost of the equivalent Sony/Nikon lenses and as usual it crushes their optical performance handily.

Oh cool more gear to lust over

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess any pressure on the first-party guys is good, but I'm not terribly impressed to see a 20 year-old design get beaten. Hopefully it'll force a price drop from Canon but I'm not holding my breath.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Pretty telling that they didn't test the 135 DC :getin:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
As per this thread I bought a Pentax ME Super.

I haven't been disappointed. Hail satan.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
I'm looking to get into photography, shooting in a range from big landscape-style stuff (I'm in Colorado) to lower light conditions in an apartment, out on the street, and so on. I'd also like to be able to shoot a little video if possible; I've got a friend very much into the idea of shooting a short film, and I'm pretty drat intrigued by the idea myself, so something with at least basic capability in that direction would be great. The D7000 here is what I've mainly been looking at, as it's in my price range, seems a bit more geared towards beginners to the hobby, and comes with a kit lens, a concern for me right now financially given the cost of quality lenses. I was able to track down a D7100 to handle and it felt pretty good in my hands, so I'm presuming its immediate predecessor would also.

The other one I've been looking into is the t4i. I hear the D7000 outperforms it slightly in most categories and the t5i I found wasn't quite as comfortable a fit in my hands, but the weight in this direction is that it's a little cheaper and, supposedly, shoots video at a higher framerate--although I'm not sure how much qualitative difference that would actually make to me. I also hear Canon generally has better lens quality, which would probably be an issue mostly in the longer term, but still warrants a bit of consideration.

I'm leaning towards the D7000. Does this seem like a good pick for a beginner, or does anybody have any alternative recommendations, or just general advice, that they'd be willing to throw out there?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Axeface posted:

I'm looking to get into photography, shooting in a range from big landscape-style stuff (I'm in Colorado) to lower light conditions in an apartment, out on the street, and so on. I'd also like to be able to shoot a little video if possible; I've got a friend very much into the idea of shooting a short film, and I'm pretty drat intrigued by the idea myself, so something with at least basic capability in that direction would be great. The D7000 here is what I've mainly been looking at, as it's in my price range, seems a bit more geared towards beginners to the hobby, and comes with a kit lens, a concern for me right now financially given the cost of quality lenses. I was able to track down a D7100 to handle and it felt pretty good in my hands, so I'm presuming its immediate predecessor would also.

The other one I've been looking into is the t4i. I hear the D7000 outperforms it slightly in most categories and the t5i I found wasn't quite as comfortable a fit in my hands, but the weight in this direction is that it's a little cheaper and, supposedly, shoots video at a higher framerate--although I'm not sure how much qualitative difference that would actually make to me. I also hear Canon generally has better lens quality, which would probably be an issue mostly in the longer term, but still warrants a bit of consideration.

I'm leaning towards the D7000. Does this seem like a good pick for a beginner, or does anybody have any alternative recommendations, or just general advice, that they'd be willing to throw out there?

You've answered the question. The Nikon feels better. Done deal.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
D7000 is a great camera. This might be a shade more but the Canon 7D is probably more the equivalent model on the Canon side, so might be worth a look. The 60D is good, much better ergonomically than the Rebels, but I don't know that I'd recommend it over the D7000. The 70D has the sweet dual-pixel AF for video but would be a little more than the price range you were looking at.

Yeah, the D7000 seems like a nice value right now.

Regarding lenses, these days the 3rd party (Tamron, Sigma, Rokinon) are worth a look if you are on a tight budget, so even less reason to care about the stable of lenses.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Nobody has ever been unhappy with a d7000

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

You've answered the question. The Nikon feels better. Done deal.

This. Buy the Nikon, shoot lots and lots, be happy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The D7000 is a cool camera for cool people

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Axeface posted:

D7000 is amazing, also consider getting the 35mm f1.8 dx lens for it down the road, its pretty sweet lens.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Thanks for the feedback, everybody, I went ahead and leased a kidney against that D7000. Really excited to get that puppy in the mail and start hailing Satan.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
You won't be disappointed. Congrats.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
so looking at my tax return this year i could do one of these things

1) Jump from my D7000 to a D600 or D610

2) Sell my 70-300 and get a 70-200 f2.8

3) Buy a pro mid range zoom 28-70 f2.8 most likely

4) Brain Damaged option, 55-100 zoom for my pentax67 so i can make it even heavier

5) Comedy option buy a jobo so i can process the fucktons of film I have in my freezer

Right now this is a terrible money wasting hobby I have, however i'm tempted to look into trying to make a bit of money with photography on the side. I've been paid for some shoots and prints i did of a shoot i did for fun and want to see if its something i can do as a side business that sucks less than my day job. any suggestions on which of these would be a better option?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ezekiel_980 posted:

so looking at my tax return this year i could do one of these things

1) Jump from my D7000 to a D600 or D610

Are you including the cost of replacing all your DX glass?

Also,

quote:

3) Buy a pro mid range zoom 28-70 f2.8 most likely
seems like a weird thing to do, unless you really like that focal range on crop.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

404notfound posted:

Are you including the cost of replacing all your DX glass?

Also,

seems like a weird thing to do, unless you really like that focal range on crop.

Mercifully i only have one FX lens, my 35mm. the 70-300 is full frame and the other lens i have 18-70 is on extended loan from my father after he got a 18-200.

Thinking about your comment that is a good point, on crop its kinda silly would only make sense to get it if i was getting a full frame as well.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
What kind of photos are you going to sell? The right lens for portraits is not the same as the right lens for sports (though of course there's lots of overlap).

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

What kind of photos are you going to sell? The right lens for portraits is not the same as the right lens for sports (though of course there's lots of overlap).

I've done a few modeling shoots with a friend, so the club she dances at could use them for promoting the club. few of her friends have expressed an interest in getting similar shoots done. The other thing I've been doing is helping my dad when he does building shoots of local landmarks for regional banks yearly news letter. So nothing specific, I'm still trying a bit of everything right now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I've done a few modeling shoots with a friend, so the club she dances at could use them for promoting the club. few of her friends have expressed an interest in getting similar shoots done. The other thing I've been doing is helping my dad when he does building shoots of local landmarks for regional banks yearly news letter. So nothing specific, I'm still trying a bit of everything right now.

Execudork nailed it. The overlap in those two areas is. . . small. Also, being good at one isn't a great advertisement for the other, as the overlap in clientele is again small.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Execudork nailed it. The overlap in those two areas is. . . small. Also, being good at one isn't a great advertisement for the other, as the overlap in clientele is again small.

So until I figure out exactly what I want to do don't spend any money?

Edit

Regarding going from crop to full frame when should I think about doing that?

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 5, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So until I figure out exactly what I want to do don't spend any money?

Edit

Regarding going from crop to full frame when should I think about doing that?

Hail Satan and kill urself.

Also you don't ever have to move to full frame from crop, but if it's something you really want to do, stop buying dx lenses. You sound like you have absolutely no idea about what you want to do, or what you really enjoy doing even, so my suggestion is just *gasp* sit on the money until you get it figured out, and then take the appropriate steps.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

RangerScum posted:

Hail Satan and kill urself.

Also you don't ever have to move to full frame from crop, but if it's something you really want to do, stop buying dx lenses. You sound like you have absolutely no idea about what you want to do, or what you really enjoy doing even, so my suggestion is just *gasp* sit on the money until you get it figured out, and then take the appropriate steps.

Sit on top of the money, hail satan and kill my self! Got it!

Everyone's overall suggestion of figure out what the hell your doing makes sense, thanks for the advise.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ezekiel_980 posted:

From my experience this almost never pans out. Either they get cold feet or balk at paying money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

the overlap in clientele is again small.

Dancers at a nightclub and bankers? I'd think there'd be plenty of overlap! :v:

Also, sitting on money is no fun (to me; I'm perpetually broke, wonder why?). A fast zoom - covering the kit-lens-favourite wide-to-slightly-narrow, full-frame equivalent 28-70 (ish), or "sports zoom" 70-200 - with a constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 is going to be a good fun toy regardless.