Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So uh, yeah, I just got reamed really hard. Was doing the necromancer's apprentice quest, and like 4 rooms in I got surprised by a human party with two of the gunner types, even though I had a really high torch level. My melee was in the back two rows, my healer was out of position for healing, and I got crit twice by blanket fire (5 dmg on whole party), missed my stuns, and the turn order was such that I even had to pass with rear-most melee guy. Before I knew it, everyone in my party was at 20% hp without anyone in position still, so I had to bail on the fight and dungeon entirely. Now I have 1800 gold in the bank with my A-team fully stressed out.

Can I even recover from this position? How would it be possible?

Advice for the next time, if you get ambushed and you're out of position with a team that can't fix without losing turns, retreat from the fight and reorder yourself in the hallway. It's not guaranteed to work, but it's a hell of a lot more likely than trying to shuffle into position one spot at a time.

1800 gold is enough to outfit a short expedition. So buy supplies for a short expedition but on a medium quest, and bring a couple items to open whatever lootables are at the dungeon you're going to. The free mid-dungeon heal and destress of a camp makes medium dungeons more profitable for enter, loot, and leave trips than a short expedition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Also upgrade your Lepers people! They get huge benefits from upgrading equipment. Going from no dodge to 5% on the first armor upgrade and the first weapon upgrade doubles their speed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DatonKallandor posted:

Also upgrade your Lepers people! They get huge benefits from upgrading equipment. Going from no dodge to 5% on the first armor upgrade and the first weapon upgrade doubles their speed.

They also pair really, really well with Jesters. The accuracy / crit song buff is amazing for them.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
drat, I may have to break my all time rule of never buying an early access game for this. It just looks really fun from the streams.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I avoided that dilemma by kickstarting it. :D

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is my class Tier List

GOD Tier:
Leper - Insanely high damage, has accuracy problems early-game but they can be fixed by leveling up his attack skills, equipment, or party buffs. In particular, he has a Camp buff that gives him an accuracy bonus until he camps again which is what pushes him in to God Tier on Medium+ missions, also gets a self heal skill that scales well with points (1 extra healing per level).

A+ Tier:
Occultist - His single-target healing potential is so high that if you can focus down enemies that do AoE damage, he'll keep your party at full health through almost anything. He also has two good debuffs for turns when he doesn't need to heal (dodge debuff and accuracy/damage debuff). Has a camp spell that heals an ally while increasing his own stress.

Hellion - The Hellion is generally worse than the Leper, but has two big advantages: A solid AoE attack that can hit from any position, and the Bleed attack that only hits the third enemy - it's (I think) the highest damage you can do to an enemy in the third position which can be very useful, especially against the Hag.

Vestal - A great healer, but inferior to the Occultist since her single-target heal isn't enough to keep people topped off. She's superior to the Occultist when you have multiple people at Death's Door, but that doesn't happen often when you have an Occultist. If you take both a Vestal and an Occultist, your team is virtually invulnerable which makes a lot of quests very easy. Has the best stun but I don't find stuns useful because anything that doesn't die in 1-2 hits tends to have a high stun resist.

A Tier:
Bounty Hunter - Highest single target damage and a pull (pulls are awesome), but not as much staying power as the Leper.

Highwayman - Not as much damage as a Leper/Hellion/BH but he can do it from the third position. Has AoE, a movement skill and a knockback.

B Tier:
Jester - Stick him in the far back and give him the Accuracy/Speed/Crit buff and the Stress Heal. He'll keep the party's stress down and keep the acc/spd/crt buff up permanently. Has some amazing stress removal options when camping. He can help make up for your Leper's early accuracy problems and manage stress for the entire party on Medium+ missions. Speed and Crit buffs are great, too. He would be really good but if you replace him with a DPS, the extra killing power offsets the need for a stress heal. His buff is still good and he can do some okay damage including a pretty mean finisher. Has a movement skill.

??? Tier:
Crusader - I've never really used one. Seems like a front-line version of the Jester, I'd rather have a Hellion or Leper doing damage but maybe I'm just sleeping on how useful this guy is.

Grave Robber - Seems cool in theory as a very mobile high dodge/crit hero, but isn't as effective as other front-liners. If you could get some good crit gear on her and her skills leveled up, she would be critting so much that Stress would just melt off your party, so maybe she just has a slow power curve.

Plague Doctor - Has a good two-target stun, but other than that he's middling. Has the best bleed/blight removal in the game. Does good DoT damage, but again, if you just take Lepers/Hellions/Bounty Hunter, things die before the DoTs would become effective. Might be really good against bosses??

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 4, 2015

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^Edit: One thing about the Crusader is that Holy Lance allows him to hit the farther-back rows AND reposition, which are two of the three things the Leper has a hard time doing (the third being getting decent accuracy). That's kind of important, especially against one of the bosses. One of his unique camp skills is really good too.

So, has anyone figured out what the hell is up with the Sacrificial Altars in the Warrens? They show up in enemy rooms like they are treasure or something, but Holy Water doesn't work on them, Herbs don't, Keys don't, and using them manually just hits you with 50ish stress. There HAS to be some kind of positive use for them, right?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 4, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Funnypost Collabo posted:

A lot of the enemies that focus the back line can be stopped by repositioning them. If they're in the front, try moving them to the back, and vice versa. If they're resistant to movement, try to move other enemies to push them back/forward.

My entire game plan is movement/repositioning skills, pure damage, an Occultist spamming heals, and an optional Vestal spamming heals. It seems like "Kill it really fast" is the best solution to every encounter (though the Hag is the only boss fight I've done) and any time I try to use status effects and stuns I get wrecked. If you're going balls-out with two or three DPS characters, things will die so fast that your healer(s) will keep your party topped off through the entire dungeon, you'll barely take any stress damage because things die before they can crit you, etc. Most fights are over for me in 2-3 turns.

e: though I suppose with level 3-4 party members I should start doing level 5 quests at this point.

It's true. The best feeling is when you get an enemy to straight up PASS because they have no moves available from where they are standing.

Also, I generally agree with the tier list above, but I'd place Crusader in High A/Low A+. Holy Lance is really, really good. I also don't think Leper is better than Hellion or Vestal, but is better than Occultist. As far as Vestal vs. Occultist, Vestal is better at hitting the front 2 enemies, and Occultist the back 2 - it's your decision which is better. Vestal is stunning the tanks, Occultist is nuking the back 2. With pulls and pushes, they can effect the whole team, which makes Bounty Hunter really awesome. Occultist's stun is strictly inferior just because it reduces torch light. 2 of Vestal's moves restore it.

Don't sleep on Highwayman - Pistol Shot does a lot of damage and can snipe annoying back row stuff, and Clean Guns is one of the best camp buffs. Grapeshot is also just a solid AoE.

I'd move Jester from B Tier into Jester Tier, because gently caress Jester. Maybe I'll try to make him work, but his move set is seriously the worst in the game.

E:
My list looks like

S Tier- Hellion
A+ - Vestal, Leper, Occultist
A- - Crusader, Bounty Hunter
B - Highwayman
C - Grave Digger, Plague Doc
Jester - Jester

I think Jester, Digger, and Doc aren't necessarily "bad", but they require a really specific team while the other guys in higher tiers work good in every team, in almost every spot.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 4, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I find the Crusader superior to the Leper because he's more mobile. If the Leper gets out of position your party can be in real trouble. He also has real problems hitting the back rank, which makes him weak for things like the Hag fight.

Overall the more I play the more my favorite class becomes the Jester. Most runs I make with a Jester everyone ends with less stress than they started. I've done several Long missions with jesters only camping once, and that just to get the camping buffs. The weakness of the Jester is that you can't have any duds anywhere else on your team -- he has so little direct offense that if your team can't protect him it's all gonna go south in a bad way.

If you haven't gotten a jester to work, try him with the stress relief song, the battle ballad buff, the forward lunge stab, and the front line solo for emergencies. You'll also need a healer and two good frontmen (Leper actually works really well because the Jester's accuracy buff helps them so much).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 4, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'll have to level up a Crusader and give him a fair shake. I like that everyone seems to have different favorites and different effective strategies. I haven't found any party that just plain doesn't work as long as you set up everyone's skills appropriately for their intended positions. As long as you don't take four of the same class I don't think you can go wrong. Can't wait for the remaining classes to be added!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I find the Crusader superior to the Leper because he's more mobile. If the Leper gets out of position your party can be in real trouble. He also has real problems hitting the back rank, which makes him weak for things like the Hag fight.

Overall the more I play the more my favorite class becomes the Jester. Most runs I make with a Jester everyone ends with less stress than they started. I've done several Long missions with jesters only camping once, and that just to get the camping buffs. The weakness of the Jester is that you can't have any duds anywhere else on your team -- he has so little direct offense that if your team can't protect him it's all gonna go south in a bad way.

I like the Crusader better than the Leper, and Crusader has Holy Lance, but I think properly buffed and equipped the Leper is generally better at hitting the front row than the Crusader. Jester I can't really get behind because while it's good to stunlock things and debuff them and blight them and stuff right now this game seems to go by the "death is the best status condition" mantra, and it pays off more to slaughter things ASAP rather than give them chances to roll crits and stress the hell out of your dudes. It wouldn't be as consistent, but a guy in the Jester's spot getting crits will be relieving stress and killing stuff, potentially.

I'll have to level up a Crusader and give him a fair shake.

If you want to see the Crusader at work, bring 2 of them, give them both Holy Lance, and put them in spots 1 & 2. Alternate using Holy Lance (which moves the Crusader back 1 space.. and thus sets the other one up for a Holy Lance). Alternatively, you could try a Grave Digger with Shadow Fade and 1 Holy Lance Crusader. That'd work, too.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 4, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A lot of the enemies that focus the back line can be stopped by repositioning them. If they're in the front, try moving them to the back, and vice versa. If they're resistant to movement, try to move other enemies to push them back/forward.

That does kind of assume that you get turns and land hits that aren't resisted. Nothing like getting a surprise round and whiffing every single move only for the crossbowman/fusilier to land back to back criticals on their first round. :argh:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Plague Doctors are really useful in the Weald just because 80% of encounters revolve around stacking Blight on your guys

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wonder how effective it would be to take 3 characters with a forward movement attack (Crusader, Jester, Highwayman, Gravedigger) and rotate those attacks to take down targets. Jester could Solo if he ever started a turn in the front and with a healer in the back row you should be fine. The movement attacks all seem to be solid attacks that are versatile in which enemies they can target. If you did it with three geared-out Gravediggers they would be racking up crits like crazy, I think their movement attack has like a 10%+ crit chance bonus.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh my God, I have to try a super-mobile build out. It sounds like the most hilarious build.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This game really, really loves giving me plague doctors and grave robbers. Not so much anything else.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So what's with the random desktop crashes? Should I just expect it because it is early access?

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
Are trinkets generated Diablo style, or are they fixed items? I have two highwayman trinkets that are just terrible, they give ++ to stun/bleed/blight skills and - stun/bleed/blight resist, but since the highwayman only has a bleed skill it's just a bleed bonus with a ton of negatives attached. It seems like that would be an odd choice to put in the game on purpose, but I have two identical trinkets like that.

Edit: I just looked at it again and it's worse than I thought. +20 to stun/blight skills, -16 to stun and -12 to blight resist. It's called the "Cursed Buckle"

Mushrooman fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I love my Leper but sometimes he really fucks me over. Too many misses and he's dead weight, and if you get surprised and he's in the back row you're hosed.

Fat_Cow posted:

So what's with the random desktop crashes? Should I just expect it because it is early access?

Yeah. There's a few bugs. They fixed a couple but it seems they created a couple more.

On the bright side they worked all throughout the weekend pushing patches, and they're no doubt going to do so all week. They're very active in listening to people and fixing things. So hopefully whatever is causing you a problem should be fixed shortly.

Mushrooman posted:

Are trinkets generated Diablo style, or are they fixed items? I have two highwayman trinkets that are just terrible, they give ++ to stun/bleed/blight skills and - stun/bleed/blight resist, but since the highwayman only has a bleed skill it's just a bleed bonus with a ton of negatives attached. It seems like that would be an odd choice to put in the game on purpose, but I have two identical trinkets like that.

Edit: I just looked at it again and it's worse than I thought. +20 to stun/blight skills, -16 to stun and -12 to blight resist. It's called the "Cursed Buckle"

I think the plan is for most trinkets to be a tradeoff, some bonus here and some negative here. Used strategically they can be good, but yeah, some seem just bad. They might need a pass to buff them or something.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 4, 2015

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And they managed to work through some problems with the launch without threatening the life of Gabe or, as far as I can tell, anyone who works at Valve.

Yay!

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
I'm really tempted to try an all Highwayman party. No healing would hurt, but camp in the first room, have everyone clean guns. Proceed to grapeshot/point blank/etc. every motherfucker. It seems, at the very least, amusing.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

LizardBeam posted:

I'm really tempted to try an all Highwayman party. No healing would hurt, but camp in the first room, have everyone clean guns. Proceed to grapeshot/point blank/etc. every motherfucker. It seems, at the very least, amusing.

I think you mean camp the first room, clean guns, then get ambushed and miss every shot. Proceed to get tempting goblet'ted in the face a until your highwaymen are highwaychildren

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Something to keep in mind about trinkets is that stats can't go negative. That -10 dodge trinket doesn't look so bad when you realize your dudes have sub 10 dodge anymore. Ditto for -SPD and other such trinkets. Can't go much lower than your starting value for a lot of things and the trade-off in terms of buff power is great.

This is especially especially important for -ACC trinkets. Base Accuracy is terrible for most classes so taking the trinket does nothing, because the lowest your accuracy can go is the value listed on the skill, regardless of any equipment (and probably debuffs too come to think of it - getting hit by negative accuracy debuffs might do nothing a lot of the time because you're unlikely to have any positive accuracy buffs on you anyway).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Pretty sure one of my Crusaders actually suffered when I plopped a -ACC trinket on him, but I didn't keep detailed track of the actual skill tooltips in combat.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Game is some pretty loving boring dice rolls hidden behind really appealing window dressing, is what I think after buying in at 20 Euros.

That being said, why would you ever click on a thing that isn't a chest in a dungeon? They have been bad 100% of the time unless you consider "nothing happens" good, then they've only been bad 90% of the time.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

how me a frog posted:

That being said, why would you ever click on a thing that isn't a chest in a dungeon? They have been bad 100% of the time unless you consider "nothing happens" good, then they've only been bad 90% of the time.

A bookcase revealed the whole map to me, but that's the only good thing I have seen so far.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

odiv posted:

And they managed to work through some problems with the launch without threatening the life of Gabe or, as far as I can tell, anyone who works at Valve.

Yay!

Whew I know that can be hard for indie devs so I'm glad Red Hook got past that milestone without incident

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I keep making really stupid decisions and then lose a guy. I feel so stupid. I love this game.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

how me a frog posted:

To be able to give valuable feedback on game balance.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've been playing this for a good chunk of the day, and will occasionally crash when I enter the stagecoach screen. As in, immediately when I click on it. Is there a work-around for this or is it just something to wait for the devs to fix? I saw people earlier in the thread saying that only hiring one person as well as leaving the stagecoach screen immediately after hiring one person stops the crashes, but it hasn't done anything to help me so far.

Also, I wish there was a bit more transparency around stats. I had what I thought was a pretty good Crusader hit level 2, and when I looked at his stats he had only God-Fearing as his negative quirk. His damage, speed and dodge stats were all red and loving terrible, though; damage was 3-4, dodge was 0 and speed was 2 or something. When I hovered over the stat, it showed no negatives from equipment or quirks, and just a mysterious "other" with negative five or whatever. No idea why. On the other hand, my grave robber had a yellow speed of nine with a +5 "other" note. Anyone know what's going on there?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Most of the clickables have a slot to use an item on them. If you drag the right item in to that slot, you eliminate the bad options and possibly guarantee a good option. For some clickables it doesn't seem like the right consumable item is in yet though because I've found a few types that I can't figure out at all (mummified corpses?) Off the top of my head, use shovels on graves and holy water on totems. You can use torches on some things to burn them but that seems to just delete it, I've never seen something actually happen as a result of burning a thing.

Also use keys on any chest that doesn't say "Unlocked <x>" for bonus loot.

e: Come to think of it, mummified corpses are likely blight removal potions since I think their deal is that they disease or blight you.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 4, 2015

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Hobojim posted:

I've been playing this for a good chunk of the day, and will occasionally crash when I enter the stagecoach screen. As in, immediately when I click on it. Is there a work-around for this or is it just something to wait for the devs to fix? I saw people earlier in the thread saying that only hiring one person as well as leaving the stagecoach screen immediately after hiring one person stops the crashes, but it hasn't done anything to help me so far.

I've had this happen regularly but no progress was ever lost for me, autosave caught everything including dudes being assigned to the brothel and whatnot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Who needs dodging anyway when you're sitting on 60Hp and get hit for 2-4 by any attack :smug:

Fun game so far. Can be infuriatingly random at times, though.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Hobojim posted:

Also, I wish there was a bit more transparency around stats. I had what I thought was a pretty good Crusader hit level 2, and when I looked at his stats he had only God-Fearing as his negative quirk. His damage, speed and dodge stats were all red and loving terrible, though; damage was 3-4, dodge was 0 and speed was 2 or something. When I hovered over the stat, it showed no negatives from equipment or quirks, and just a mysterious "other" with negative five or whatever. No idea why. On the other hand, my grave robber had a yellow speed of nine with a +5 "other" note. Anyone know what's going on there?

bugz

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I wonder how effective it would be to take 3 characters with a forward movement attack (Crusader, Jester, Highwayman, Gravedigger) and rotate those attacks to take down targets. Jester could Solo if he ever started a turn in the front and with a healer in the back row you should be fine. The movement attacks all seem to be solid attacks that are versatile in which enemies they can target. If you did it with three geared-out Gravediggers they would be racking up crits like crazy, I think their movement attack has like a 10%+ crit chance bonus.

It works pretty well, I've tried a few varieties of Bouncy Party. Gravedigger, Crusader, and Highwayman all work well. You can throw in a Jester too but then your only damage healing is the Crusader's Battle Heal. Occultist and Vestal aren't mobile enough to work, though Occultist has versatile attacks from different positions, so that helps.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My current go to team is Plague Doctor, Highway Man, Hellion and Crusader with Lance. They all have stuff they can do at each position, two of them are big tanks and enough status effects and buffs that I can keep them all alive while pouring everything in upgrading gear and abilities(plus insanity of course). My backup team is Occultist, Vestal, Jester and Leper. Not nearly as mobile but much harder to kill due to all the healing.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Oh. Well, poo poo.

I guess I'll post it in the steam bugs thread or something. It kinda killed the good team I had.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hrm.

Those of you who run with Occultist as primary/only healer, how do you deal with the whole Death's Door problem? It seems like the Occultist just can't save people from blight/bleed impending doom the way the Vestal can.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Putting together a list of what items to use on what objects. If you know any that I don't have listed please let me know.

Carcass:
Medicinal Herbs (gives ~18 food and guarantees no bad effects)

Chest:
Skeleton Key (Only if the chest doesn't say "Unlocked" - gives more chest loot and may guarantee no trap?)

Totem:
Holy Water (Seems to guarantee a good Totem effect)

Fountain:
Holy Water (Removes ~25 Stress from the character that does it)

Mummified Remains:
??? (I've tried shovel, anti-venom, medicinal herbs, holy water, and torch)

e: Also Occultist/Gravedigger/Jester/Highwayman bouncy team is really really strong. Tons of dodge, lots of crits, high damage, can hit pretty much any tile, multiple AoEs, healing, etc. Positioning literally does not matter so surprises or pushes/pulls mean nothing to you. This is a really good party for letting the torch run out, which increases crit rates. Dodge lets you completely avoid enemy crits, and your already high crit rates go even higher. All three of your bouncy guys have something special they can do from the front of the line too. Point Blank Shot when the Highwayman is in front kills most things in one hit, the Gravedigger stuns, and the Jester debuffs every enemy's accuracy.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chairman Pow! posted:

A bookcase revealed the whole map to me, but that's the only good thing I have seen so far.

They can also give positive traits - which is a little handy for speeding up character development if you can afford to chuck people in the sanitarium regularly to remove the bad traits from same.