Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

UncleBlazer posted:

Guys thanks for being so helpful! Jeez I didn't expect this much help. I've still got a month or two to decide as I have more serious things to spend money on unfortunately :(

Think I might still get one and put some flatwounds on and a staytrem bridge. It's still quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives.

I've got one of the MIJ VI's I picked up from the talkbass classifieds on the way, would have been here earlier but there was a mix-up with the shipping. I probably won't get a chance to play with it too much until Feb 12, but where I just saw your posts I thought I'd check in in case there was anything you'd like me to look into on it. While I'm sure MIJ, Pawnshop, and Squier are three different beasts, maybe there's some info I can get from it that would be helpful to you? Doesn't sound like there's much of a rush but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I played the American, Mexican(pawnshop) and Japanese while in Long &McQuade Bloor St store.

I would have went home with the MIJ one if I had the funds that day. No real difference (IMHO) between the American and MIJ one they had, other than price. The Pawn Shop one they had was suffering from lots of rattles.

I had the Squier one, and other than the nut and string issues, there's not a ton of reason to grab the PawnShop unless you want the blade selector and different bridge pickup.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Jonithen posted:

I've got one of the MIJ VI's I picked up from the talkbass classifieds on the way, would have been here earlier but there was a mix-up with the shipping. I probably won't get a chance to play with it too much until Feb 12, but where I just saw your posts I thought I'd check in in case there was anything you'd like me to look into on it. While I'm sure MIJ, Pawnshop, and Squier are three different beasts, maybe there's some info I can get from it that would be helpful to you? Doesn't sound like there's much of a rush but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'm just concerned with problems I've heard with the Squier run. The bridge is a bit off and the strings it comes with are a bit naff I've heard.

Tbh if you wanted to go out of your way you could play some nice ambient/post Rock stuff so I could listen and be jealous but really there isn't much you can do, thanks buddy and hope you enjoy the MIJ, moneybags.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

UncleBlazer posted:

I'm just concerned with problems I've heard with the Squier run. The bridge is a bit off and the strings it comes with are a bit naff I've heard.

Tbh if you wanted to go out of your way you could play some nice ambient/post Rock stuff so I could listen and be jealous but really there isn't much you can do, thanks buddy and hope you enjoy the MIJ, moneybags.

The squier bridge is fine with a decent set of Labella strings. You can leave it the stock way round and raise the action a little for it to rock back and forth with the tremolo or flip it upside down for less rocking motion and lower action. You'll have to tighten the tremolo spring screw to stop the tuning slipping if you do that though.

The vibrato/tremolo itself however should be replaced with an international import Fender bridge so you can lock it down properly. The biggest problem is the nut. It's soft, lovely plastic and usually cut badly while being stuck on with lacquer and glue. Standard 42mm guitar nut that's supposed to be easy enough to remove if you score the headstock side with a razor blade then use a flat edge and gently tap it loose. I'm hesitant to try that however even though I have a perfectly good graphite nut ready to drop in place, just in case something goes wrong because even with it's faults it's a fuckload of fun to play.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I briefly mentioned earlier that I bought a Yamaha Attitude Limited first generation bass. Now I am back with a picture! Its from 1990 and is pretty well used with many scrapes and dings, but its fun to play. In the photo the headstock looks huge, and it is. The bass is longer than my Sting Ray 5 and does not fit in most of my gig bags.

I learned a lot about Attitudes in picking this guy up. This is the first generation model, which was made in the early 1990's in Taiwan. I guess they're relatively rare, I hear reports of there being ~300 first generations in each color. Unlike any model that followed it, the first generation has a unique neck joint. Its bolted on, but its bolted onto a block of aluminum that is bolted to the body. I don't think it really does anything for neck stability, hence all future models abandoning it.

I also replaced the knobs and gave it a thorough cleaning. I'm debating of sanding the neck down to get rid of the finish because there are some dings on there along with someone's initials who thought the neck would be a great location for that. Plus I could see that the frets started to jut out as the fretboard shrunk, and someone took a file to them and took part of the finish too. Also thinking of making a new pickguard since the white doesn't really do it for me, but I'd have to custom make it myself along with the woofer pickup cover.

I guess my next step is to go to the GBS guitar thread and ask Dr. Faustus to be the Vai to my Sheehan!

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

UncleBlazer posted:

The bridge is a bit off and the strings it comes with are a bit naff I've heard.

The Fender and the Squier both come with exactly the same string set.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Goddamn that thing looks like it dives from that massive headstock...

And Faustus can play some mean guitar. That guy will hook you up.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

UncleBlazer posted:

Is the Squier VI worth buying? I was going to buy one in a couple of months after getting back into playing but this thread is putting me off.

I got a Squier VI. I played it a bit, didn't really like it, most people in the thread said it takes a bit of TLC and work to make it sound great and I didn't feel like investing that kind of work into a ~$400 bass that I didn't really like a whole lot (besides conceptually) to begin with. I took it back and put in an order for an Ibanez SRC6. I was told that they aren't shipping them out to suppliers until after NAMM (which just happened) and between how long it takes to get from the original factory to my local store, I won't have it until mid-March so I don't have a review of it for you, but it looks more up my alley, personally. Basically the main problem I had with the VI is that it felt kinda cheap and plastic-y and I just didn't like how it felt, and I like Ibanez guitars so I figured this would be more up my alley.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

EvilChameleon posted:

it takes a bit of TLC and work to make it sound great and I didn't feel like investing that kind of work into a ~$400 bass

Basically the main problem I had with the VI is that it felt kinda cheap and plastic-y

I'm hearing quite a lot of this and wondering if it's worth the hassle even though I'd love one.

Has anyone heard of the agile harm? You can ask for it in VI set up apparently. Even with shipping to England it's only £320

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

UncleBlazer posted:

I'm hearing quite a lot of this and wondering if it's worth the hassle even though I'd love one.

Has anyone heard of the agile harm? You can ask for it in VI set up apparently. Even with shipping to England it's only £320

I briefly considered one of those (they also have one that looks more like a traditional VI) but decided not to for reasons of aesthetics and price. They won't actually set it up in E-e for you, they're just letting you know that it's possible if you buy new strings and cut the nut.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

UncleBlazer posted:

Haha, ok, just thought I'd check in case there was something I check out for you. I actually missed out what I'm guessing was a used Pawnshop version at the local GC a few months ago, which would have saved me a few bucks. It all worked out, I feel like this was a good deal between the instrument, the new strings and spare pack the guy kicked me and including shipping. I'm kind of consolidating the instruments at the moment. It's not like we're talking about an Eccleshall or one of those crazy Fodera Yin Yang jobs (someday...).

Looks like tomorrow I'm doing my first pickup change. I've had to fix an input jack or three so it isn't my first time with a soldering iron, but all the same here's hoping it goes well.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I've got an Ibanez GSR200 (Bottom end of the current models) and it does what I want it to do, except for that drat PHAT II power booster preamp on board. Without it turned up, there's so little power pushing out of the guitar that I'm always set to 10 on both pickups, or I turn it up and it sounds like I'm running it through some sort of high gain boost instead of just putting out more power. This thing has a guitar center warranty, so when it has an "Unfortunate Accident" sometime in the next few months, I'm going to be looking for something without (or at least a better) preamp built in, but still around the 200-250 range. I'm really liking the look of this Squire VM Jag, but there's a preamp in there that makes me leary of it. Anyone had one that cares to chime in?

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

pointlessone posted:

I've got an Ibanez GSR200 (Bottom end of the current models) and it does what I want it to do, except for that drat PHAT II power booster preamp on board. Without it turned up, there's so little power pushing out of the guitar that I'm always set to 10 on both pickups, or I turn it up and it sounds like I'm running it through some sort of high gain boost instead of just putting out more power. This thing has a guitar center warranty, so when it has an "Unfortunate Accident" sometime in the next few months, I'm going to be looking for something without (or at least a better) preamp built in, but still around the 200-250 range. I'm really liking the look of this Squire VM Jag, but there's a preamp in there that makes me leary of it. Anyone had one that cares to chime in?

I use a sr300 which is similar to what you're using now but a huge upgrade and I'm really satisfied with it. If you want something fatter the music man SUB line is pretty good for low cost. I've heard good things about the modified jag though.

Also I'm pretty sure Guitar Center Pro Coverage will send you a new sgr200 not cash. I only worked there a few months and never had to deal with any claims. I have a set of headphones that the cats just chewed through that I need to call on though so I guess I can check for you if you would like.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Chimbley Sweep posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Guitar Center Pro Coverage will send you a new sgr200 not cash. I only worked there a few months and never had to deal with any claims. I have a set of headphones that the cats just chewed through that I need to call on though so I guess I can check for you if you would like.
200 and lower are original purchase price on a gift card according to the documentation. It seems to vary state to state though. Anything higher goes to repair or replacement though.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

js86 posted:

$725 for a used Lakland 44-60. Yes/No?

I've got one myself, if that's your budget go for it!

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

pointlessone posted:

200 and lower are original purchase price on a gift card according to the documentation. It seems to vary state to state though. Anything higher goes to repair or replacement though.

Oh nice. Good deal then.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Or you can learn how to work your bass before you commit fraud. Not enough volume unless the controls are all the way up? That's how volume controls work.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
he's probably using some really lovely practise amp, too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well it could have those controls that fall off a cliff once you reach 9 or so. I'm looking accusingly at my Jazz bass (in my mind, it's not here)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Well it could have those controls that fall off a cliff once you reach 9 or so. I'm looking accusingly at my Jazz bass (in my mind, it's not here)

The loudest position for a J-Bass is never both volume controls all the way up. I forget if it was due to the way the electronics are wired or something having to do with phasing, but one knob all the way up and one just a hair back will be louder than both all the way up. If you solo one pickup, all the way up is the loudest.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

To be honest I always thought that was sort of the case because of the phasing, so you get the kind of scooped quack characteristic (not so much on bass but y'know) which always feels a little more hollow and less powerful. I'll have to try the slight rolloff thing though, that sounds cool

But nah I meant that even soloed the usable range of the knob is only a fraction of the full rotation, it's a certain kind of pot I think (linear instead of logarithmic? I don't remember) but the volume drops off incredibly fast. I thought they were both messed up until I found out it was A Thing

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

baka kaba posted:

But nah I meant that even soloed the usable range of the knob is only a fraction of the full rotation, it's a certain kind of pot I think (linear instead of logarithmic? I don't remember) but the volume drops off incredibly fast. I thought they were both messed up until I found out it was A Thing
That's exactly what mine do, I didn't know it was a thing. My guitars roll on and off nice and even, I thought it was related to that god awful pre amp. The thing was advertised as a "BOOM KNOB", I should have realized it was a gimmick when I got the thing, but I was only playing it through rocksmith and didn't really notice it was awful until I got an actual amp a few months down the line. Seriously, there's no middle ground, ninety percent of the knob gives about five percent volume and rest is in the top of both of the pickup controls and the preamp goes from a tiny boost to overdrive sounding by barely brushing the knob. Running without the pre amp gets me clean tone, but it sounds really thin. I'm going to try the offset volume controls, I'd never heard of that before.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

pointlessone posted:

That's exactly what mine do, I didn't know it was a thing. My guitars roll on and off nice and even, I thought it was related to that god awful pre amp. The thing was advertised as a "BOOM KNOB", I should have realized it was a gimmick when I got the thing, but I was only playing it through rocksmith and didn't really notice it was awful until I got an actual amp a few months down the line. Seriously, there's no middle ground, ninety percent of the knob gives about five percent volume and rest is in the top of both of the pickup controls and the preamp goes from a tiny boost to overdrive sounding by barely brushing the knob. Running without the pre amp gets me clean tone, but it sounds really thin. I'm going to try the offset volume controls, I'd never heard of that before.

First off, have you changed your battery lately?

Assuming the battery is okay, what sort of amp is it and how many inputs does it have? Bass amps will often have a Lo and Hi input with one of them being padded for use with active instruments. Using the unpadded input will often result in distortion.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Apparently I'm just wrong on everything I've been doing. I didn't know the 0db jack was compensated, I've been plugging into that just because I'm already having volume issues, why would I want to cut it by plugging into the -15db? It's just a little ampeg b108 (the one that had the massive internal rattle issue) so it never had a lot of power to start with. When I get home, I'm going to try the offset volumes and plugging into the low power jack. I hope it works, I really like the bass other than the crap sound I get out of it.

This is why things need owners manuals included, I honestly had no idea that there was anything outside a volume cut on the low jack.

EDIT: That actually helped a bit. No improvement on the non preamp output by slight offsets on the volume, but at least I don't sound like I'm trying to melt an amp when I bump it up a little. Still gets all sort of overdriven if I turn it all the way up though.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 4, 2015

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've never liked the standard wiring on Jazz basses. To me, it makes way more sense to have a 3-way switch, or even better, a 4-way, so you can have both pickups in series and parallel.

My Dingwall PJ has that option, and the P+J in series is such a massive sound that switching from one of the soloed pickups is almost like turning on a boost pedal.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

The loudest position for a J-Bass is never both volume controls all the way up. I forget if it was due to the way the electronics are wired or something having to do with phasing, but one knob all the way up and one just a hair back will be louder than both all the way up. If you solo one pickup, all the way up is the loudest.

Discovered the same thing with my former Ric - backed the neck pickup volume from 10 to somewhere around 7 or 8 while bridge was on full for a decidedly better output.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TopherCStone posted:

Jazz bass pickups are RWRP (reverse wound, reverse polarity), so when both are cranked at full volume, it basically turns them into one Humbucking pickup. It creates a scooped sound from certain frequencies being out of phase.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Goons, I cannot figure out an intuitive place to put my thumb or convince my fingers to not freak out when I don't have my thumb on the string under the one I'm playing. I've gotten so used to playing with the floating thumb and not really using the B string for much other than fill notes here and there that I can't really get comfortable and actually play a proper riff with the low B string as the focus. I could take the same riff and move it up a string and everything is fine, but I just need to convince my brain that I don't always need an anchor or something.

I am semi-seriously considering installing a thumb rest above the strings. This is my primary bass if that helps in giving some advice on where to go.

edit: some day I'll learn to bbcode

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 6, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i rest my thumb on the mic, but if it's not viable then i just keep it in the air. just practise, it should get comfortable relatively fast and you'll forget the whole thumb.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

EvilChameleon posted:

Goons, I cannot figure out an intuitive place to put my thumb or convince my fingers to not freak out when I don't have my thumb on the string under the one I'm playing. I've gotten so used to playing with the floating thumb and not really using the B string for much other than fill notes here and there that I can't really get comfortable and actually play a proper riff with the low B string as the focus. I could take the same riff and move it up a string and everything is fine, but I just need to convince my brain that I don't always need an anchor or something.

I am semi-seriously considering installing a thumb rest above the strings. [url=http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/a6]This is my primary bass[/b] if that helps in giving some advice on where to go.

I float as well, and when I'm on the E string it's either resting on the side of the pickup, or I keep it floating in the air.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Floats like a butterfly, stings like a low B.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Scarf posted:

I float as well, and when I'm on the E string it's either resting on the side of the pickup, or I keep it floating in the air.

I've been trying the side of the pickup, but that isn't as high up as the strings so playing on the A string isn't like playing on the B string because the thumb is further down. Maybe I can get one of those wedges that goes between pickups and have it poke up as high as the strings?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

EvilChameleon posted:

I've been trying the side of the pickup, but that isn't as high up as the strings so playing on the A string isn't like playing on the B string because the thumb is further down. Maybe I can get one of those wedges that goes between pickups and have it poke up as high as the strings?

A finger ramp? That's definitely an option.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
Forget the Lakland, I just pulled off one hell of a trade for this beauty:

Also, I had this installed on my Jazz Basses. Tim Commerford has one and I'm surprised most people haven't thought of doing this either:

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
I don't need it when the pickups are right there. I'd just scrape my fingers or pick against the underside of that thing all the time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

When my thumb is anywhere but on the neck pickup I feel completely off my game.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
^ You guys don't have very floaty thumbs.

js86 posted:

Also, I had this installed on my Jazz Basses. Tim Commerford has one and I'm surprised most people haven't thought of doing this either:

I am thinking of getting this done on my 6 string. How much did it cost to get done?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

EvilChameleon posted:

I am thinking of getting this done on my 6 string. How much did it cost to get done?
You need to pay someone to put two screws into a piece of wood?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

DrChu posted:

You need to pay someone to put two screws into a piece of wood?

I don't have any tools, so maybe? I mean also where do you get a thumb rest from, steal one from an old Fender or something? Can you get them made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

I don't have any tools, so maybe? I mean also where do you get a thumb rest from, steal one from an old Fender or something? Can you get them made?

the internet and also most likely your local music store

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Jbass-Orig-Thumbrest-Black/dp/B0002E2G5Q