Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

What you really want is some diazepam aka valium.

Or some meth. :okpos:

Nah, beta blockers won't gently caress you up but will steady the poo poo out of your hands. According to my doctor concert musicians use/abuse them for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Kramdar posted:

Don't watch the last episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show!

I was going to post about the same thing.

Also, don't watch that show at all. That last season was loving horrible.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

The movie '40 days and 40 nights' when josh hartnett was raped and the girl he liked was mad at him about it

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Zaphod42 posted:

What you really want is some diazepam aka valium.

Or some meth. :okpos:

Amphetamines are awful for pistol work, trust me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

I was going to post about the same thing.

Also, don't watch that show at all. That last season was loving horrible.

I kept waiting for a plot to unfold. Like in Asylum, it was for the inmates to escape. In Murder House, to survive the house and the ghosts. Coven, try to survive because even the people you should be friends with will loving axe you.

But Freak Show was just flat. And sorry, the whole two-headed girl issue "Will we be separated? OH I want my own life let's get separated!" was stupid as poo poo. The Brody twins weren't two heads on a single loving body. You couldn't just cut the girls in half Solomon style without them both dying. But that seemed to be the only drive for that character. How can a show about freaks be so loving boring?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Side Effects was pretty awful for a handful of reasons (mainly, it was dull, predictable, and completely devoid of anything useful to say about the psychiatry/medication conversation), but there's a pretty ridiculous aspect that makes sense at first but not when you know all the facts.

So Channing Tatum's wife is supposedly sleepwalking and preparing dinner. Of course, secretly, she's not sleeping, just faking it. When Tatum walks into the kitchen to talk to her, she gently stabs him in the stomach a couple times. When we see it, it makes kinda-sense, since she's "asleep." But imagine that scenario from her actually-awake mindset. She has one chance to kill her husband and get away with it. Why do it when he can see you, and why aim for his stomach? The chances of Tatum getting one stab wound and then wrestling the knife away or just running out of there is way too high to risk. Hell, why pretend to even be asleep? If he's going to get killed, then nobody has to see her pretend to sleep. She could have just waited for him to be sitting on the couch and then stabbed him in back of the neck, and then TOLD people she was asleep (which she did anyway). Or, even better, why not just kill him when he was asleep in bed? The movie itself cited a previous incident where that happened and the person was not convicted.

It's a great example of how something looks plausible until you have the rest of the facts, and then becomes completely ridiculous.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Without having seen the movie in question, if I was in the murderer's position, I would take that path as the 'failed to completely murder the person' state is "oops I didn't mean it" as opposed to "overpowered/outfought, maybe stabbed, certainly arrested". Though killing him while he was asleep in bed would be safer, it also makes the alibi less believable. :shrug:

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Maybe, except you wouldn't likely get another try at it if you mucked it up. He wouldn't let himself be put in a similar situation again, that's for sure.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

The movie '40 days and 40 nights' when josh hartnett was raped and the girl he liked was mad at him about it

I still don't understand how the writers thought this was a good idea.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Rurea posted:

Because men always want sex dont you know, you CANT rape them lol

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Because men always want sex dont you know, you CANT rape them lol

Now that I think about it this is the same movie that basically says if men don't have sex or masturbate for 40 days they starting having hallucinations and go crazy.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rurea posted:

Now that I think about it this is the same movie that basically says if men don't have sex or masturbate for 40 days they starting having hallucinations and go crazy.

In reality it's more like, what, 3 days? I wouldn't know :smugdog:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

In reality it's more like, what, 3 days? I wouldn't know :smugdog:

What a weird way to brag about how often you jerk off

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Rurea posted:

One writer, unusually enough. His career hasn't exactly soared since.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

CJacobs posted:

So what's the correct way to brag about how much you masturbate?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I watched Oblivion the other day and felt irrationally irritated at how perfectly turned out that red headed woman was. Posh new dress every day, silver high heels, false eye lashes. gently caress that, if I worked on a deserted planet I would be slobbing about my work station in my pants, comedy bear feet slippers and a dressing gown. Tom Cruise may not approve, but gently caress it, he'd get used to it in the end.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

So what's the correct way to brag about how much you masturbate?

Show off your cumvase/receptacle and point out how short of a time period it took to fill it up, duh.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In Snowpiercer there's a line that bugged me after I watched it, maybe it's been brought up before:

"You're the first human being to walk the length of this train."

What? Bullshit. Even if we assume Wilfred has for whatever reason never traversed the length of his train fetish wet dream, we see no less than three people in the engine room who had been to the tail section previously and were there when Curtis walked in.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

In Snowpiercer there's a line that bugged me after I watched it, maybe it's been brought up before:

What? Bullshit. Even if we assume Wilfred has for whatever reason never traversed the length of his train fetish wet dream, we see no less than three people in the engine room who had been to the tail section previously and were there when Curtis walked in.

They carried the kids (so they technically didn't walk it), and Measurin' Molly rode a scooter that was parked offscreen hth

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

I have very little else in my life

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ryoshi posted:

Snowpiercer

We never see them all the way in the back of the train, just at the doorway. Other than the kids, who else was at the back of the car though? Did the measuring tape girl come into the last car?

It was a very flawed movie but I liked it.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Feb 3, 2015

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Ryoshi posted:

Curtis was the only one who's been at the way way back, like literally the rear end end of the train, not just the front of the back/last train car, the rest of the people who were there only went as far as the door to the next cars, and the kids were carried.

So I guess it does actually make sense, it's still not that great of a line for the reasons you mentioned.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I watched Lucy last night. I don't have to say anything else, do I?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Light Gun Man posted:

Nope. I'll say something, though:

I'm sorry. :smith:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Lucy: Doctor Manhattan as written by someone with no imagination.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just started watching the first season of Sleepy Hollow. Why does their police department have a Sheriff and a Captain?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just started watching the first season of Sleepy Hollow. Why does their police department have a Sheriff and a Captain?

Because a Captain is a city/town level position and Sheriff is a county level position? They could conceivably be working out of the same building.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

Lucy: Doctor Manhattan as written by someone with no imagination.

A female Doctor Manhattan has my imagination going in several directions at once.
:goonsay:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm watching this right now... what the hell am I watching, this is so bad. I mean I'm going to finish it, but this is insanely bad.

edit: But the Dr. that removes the bag and gives the C.P.H.4 explanation sounds a lot like one of the guys from the latest XCOM game.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Feb 4, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm watching this right now... what the hell am I watching, this is so bad. I mean I'm going to finish it, but this is insanely bad.

I mean the weird trippy CG poo poo is fun and sometimes there's a neat action movie sequence or whatever but :laffo: holy poo poo the "science" is awful.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

I mean the weird trippy CG poo poo is fun and sometimes there's a neat action movie sequence or whatever but :laffo: holy poo poo the "science" is awful.

How did she get in his TV in real time with a lovely connection from China? Why does her cells dividing over a million times a minute not sprout tumors? What the hell is going on? How come, if she can control her metabolism, can't she just stop it? :wtc:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Monkey posted:

How did she get in his TV in real time with a lovely connection from China? Why does her cells dividing over a million times a minute not sprout tumors? What the hell is going on? How come, if she can control her metabolism, can't she just stop it? :wtc:

I hate how much stuff she just magically knows now. OK, maybe you are using "all your brain" which is bullshit science to begin with but let's pretend for now. You don't magically know all languages now, that data wasn't in your brain yet. If she picked it up super fast sure, but knowing it immediately is dumb. Why would having more brain or whatever suddenly let you effect things outside your own body? You didn't grow a fuckin gravity generating gland or something.

That scene where she's using her friend's laptop is really bad too because there's no loving way you'd get that much poo poo happening that fast at once on a computer (and running well!), especially while still only using a keyboard to control it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why is she indiscriminately murdering like a hundred people fully innocent in this movie? This is ridiculous. She's supposed to be the good guy?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Captain Monkey posted:

Why is she indiscriminately murdering like a hundred people fully innocent in this movie? This is ridiculous. She's supposed to be the good guy?

you mean the triad members who kidnapped her and killed her friend and has terminally poisoned her with magic preggo brain goo?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pidmon posted:

you mean the triad members who kidnapped her and killed her friend and has terminally poisoned her with magic preggo brain goo?

No, I mean a hospital patient, the police whose cars she flipped, a few dozen people when she was going the wrong way, a taxi cab driver who didn't speak English (brandishing a gun would've worked just as well), and probably a few others I completely missed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Light Gun Man posted:

You don't magically know all languages now, that data wasn't in your brain yet. If she picked it up super fast sure, but knowing it immediately is dumb.

I've never seen Lucy, but I've thought about this cliche before and it really bothers me. A bigger/better brain would just increase your ability and capacity to learn, not give you a bunch of random knowlege.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Monkey posted:

No, I mean a hospital patient, the police whose cars she flipped, a few dozen people when she was going the wrong way, a taxi cab driver who didn't speak English (brandishing a gun would've worked just as well), and probably a few others I completely missed.

She did have a line like "we never truly die" so maybe is supposed to be some "greater awareness" non gently caress-giving but the movie never actually says that.

WickedHate posted:

I've never seen Lucy, but I've thought about this cliche before and it really bothers me. A bigger/better brain would just increase your ability and capacity to learn, not give you a bunch of random knowlege.

Exactly. You could argue I GUESS that she had been there for some period of time beforehand and the drugs gave her perfect memory recall so MAYBE I GUESS that explains the Chinese but I dunno whatever it's a dumb movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Monkey posted:

For the theatrical release at least, they ADRed a line from the taxi cab driver, off-camera, that had him complaining about his leg. Even though it was really obvious he was killed.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The worst part of that movie was that one gangsters ridiculous hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

For the theatrical release at least, they ADRed a line from the taxi cab driver, off-camera, that had him complaining about his leg. Even though it was really obvious he was killed.

...was it the voice from Spongebob?