Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Torches on scrolls written in an insane language gives you a buff. Bandages on boards with knives in them will protect you.

Also are the Houndmaster, and Albalest released yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This game's art style looks extremely good but the gameplay looks like basically nothing but RNG, then your only responses to the RNG are various ways of placing your trust in the RNG again. Do you have much control or ways to get 100% chances on things that matter or is it always a prayer simulator?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Torches on scrolls written in an insane language gives you a buff. Bandages on boards with knives in them will protect you.

Also are the Houndmaster, and Albalest released yet?

Putting holy water on holy shrines will heal your stress for ~30 instead of giving positive traits or whatever they usually do

Houndmaster and Arbalest are not released yet, but are the most finished of the 4 that are coming during EA

I'm taking a bit of a break now. My run went smoothly without a hitch up to my first boss who just fell over basically. After that I'm not sure if I'm just being bad or what, but I just can't get a 2nd group going to cover any lv3 quests that are happening. I keep losing people :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Putting together a list of what items to use on what objects. If you know any that I don't have listed please let me know.

Carcass:
Medicinal Herbs (gives ~18 food and guarantees no bad effects)

Chest:
Skeleton Key (Only if the chest doesn't say "Unlocked" - gives more chest loot and may guarantee no trap?)

Totem:
Holy Water (Seems to guarantee a good Totem effect)

Fountain:
Holy Water (Removes ~25 Stress from the character that does it)

Mummified Remains:
??? (I've tried shovel, anti-venom, medicinal herbs, holy water, and torch)

e: Also Occultist/Gravedigger/Jester/Highwayman bouncy team is really really strong. Tons of dodge, lots of crits, high damage, can hit pretty much any tile, multiple AoEs, healing, etc. Positioning literally does not matter so surprises or pushes/pulls mean nothing to you. This is a really good party for letting the torch run out, which increases crit rates. Dodge lets you completely avoid enemy crits, and your already high crit rates go even higher. All three of your bouncy guys have something special they can do from the front of the line too. Point Blank Shot when the Highwayman is in front kills most things in one hit, the Gravedigger stuns, and the Jester debuffs every enemy's accuracy.

These are the ones I have in my Guide -- collected from a few different sources but mostly this thread:

quote:

Shovels work on rubble obstacles and on graves in the Weald to avoid disease.
Holy water works on pagan altars, confession stalls, ashes, shrines, and skull piles; it will give a debuff on occult scrawlings.
The key works on locked chests, Heirloom Chests, and locked cabinets.
Medicinal Herbs work on animal carcasses in the Weald, Meat Wagons in the Warrens, and Alchemy Tables and Iron Maides in the Ruins.
Bandages will protect your hands from spiderwebs in the Weald.
You can use torches on alchemy tables to get instant 100% light and on piles of scrolls to remove negative quirks (using torches on books piles is generally not a good idea).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How do you change the position of your hotbar abilities? I've noticed some characters have them out of order.

E: Figured it out; instead of dragging you uncheck and recheck abilities in the desired order.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 4, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Jackard posted:

How do you change the position of your hotbar abilities? I've noticed some characters have them out of order.

take them off in the character page, and the order at which you re-activate them is the order in your hotkey bar (this can be done anytime out of combat)

Triggsy
Aug 16, 2013
Everyone is saying Grave Robbers are bad, but this game has given me so many of them and so little else that I've been running them in my third spot for a lot of runs, and they honestly don't seem all that bad. They can dodge a lot, can reach just about every enemy position, and toss out crits all the time. I guess the main problem is they don't have a ton of utility. It could just be because I've been given tons of them, crusaders, and lepers, so I just haven't had much else to run in my third position. I just was given my first bounty hunter so maybe he'll prove to be much better.

quote:

Those of you who run with Occultist as primary/only healer, how do you deal with the whole Death's Door problem? It seems like the Occultist just can't save people from blight/bleed impending doom the way the Vestal can.
This is definitely a problem. I also just had an Occultist give me a 0 heal + bleed twice in a row in a pretty dire situation. I think the Occultist's utility in comparison to the vestal probably makes up for its inconsistency in the healing department though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hey, so what does "Ancestral" actually do on trinkets? My guess was that if the person wearing it died, you'd still get to keep it. Is that it?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm.

Those of you who run with Occultist as primary/only healer, how do you deal with the whole Death's Door problem? It seems like the Occultist just can't save people from blight/bleed impending doom the way the Vestal can.

Its rough because if he gives them a bleed, that can put you right back on death's door. Ideally with his heals going up to like 12 or higher you just don't let anybody get that far down.

Or you use Hellions / Plague Doctors / others that can heal bleed off themselves. Or you bring bandages.

Triggsy posted:

Everyone is saying Grave Robbers are bad, but this game has given me so many of them and so little else that I've been running them in my third spot for a lot of runs, and they honestly don't seem all that bad. They can dodge a lot, can reach just about every enemy position, and toss out crits all the time. I guess the main problem is they don't have a ton of utility. It could just be because I've been given tons of them, crusaders, and lepers, so I just haven't had much else to run in my third position. I just was given my first bounty hunter so maybe he'll prove to be much better.

They're not horrible, but they just don't seem to hit as hard as a Bounty Hunter or a Highwayman in the third slot would. The upside though is they have very good mobility, so they can roll with being surprised and moved out of order, and they combo well with other characters you want to be swapping around during combat. I think they're just one of the harder classes to use effectively often.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey, so what does "Ancestral" actually do on trinkets? My guess was that if the person wearing it died, you'd still get to keep it. Is that it?

I believe Ancestral is just a rarity rating. Pretty sure that every time I've seen someone die on a stream, their trinkets were part of the post-battle loot (assuming the battle in question was won in spite of the loss).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Agreed with Grave Robbers being really good. This Jester/Grave Robber/Highwayman/Occultist party is great and my Graverobber is regularly critting for 25+ damage and is much, much sturdier than any of the 'tanky' classes due to crazy dodge rating. I've only gone through two dungeons with this party but they were the easiest two I've done yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

how me a frog posted:

Game is some pretty loving boring dice rolls hidden behind really appealing window dressing, is what I think after buying in at 20 Euros.

That being said, why would you ever click on a thing that isn't a chest in a dungeon? They have been bad 100% of the time unless you consider "nothing happens" good, then they've only been bad 90% of the time.

I read a book that gave my crusader Deadly. There was some altar thing that removed Kleptomaniac from one of my adventurers. I've actually had way more bad things happen to me opening chests than most other objects.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Zaphod42 posted:

It may be for New Game+ (which isn't in yet, because you can't complete the game)

I've been having fun running Grave Robber & Crusader with a Vestal in the front rank (while at high health, 4th rank if she needs to heal first) -> pushing vestal back with higher speed, along with crits and stuns all over. Ambushes don't really disadvantage you, and often end up with your Vestal in the back for healing after the surprise round - also her front rank accuracy debuff hits for reasonable damage, and can cause misses. 4th slot can be any number of characters, they all kind of interact differently with this setup and the order of the other three ranks.

Run Crusader with his front AoE, Stun, Lance (hits back row HARD, and is your main nuke - need to use stuns to hold 3 enemies sometimes), and his Stress torch. If you get caught in the back rows with <3 enemies, spam his stress heal instead of repositioning - your party is super durable and this will supplant needing town de-stressing or more then a few torches.

The Grave Robber makes your party more durable / eases the edge off fights. Build for crit and dodge, she's hard to put any real hurt on due to cleansing and evading, which lets your Vestal (who self heals on a skill that can crit -> healing sanity) only worry about the 2 other meat shields. Her stuns and crits along with not being a burden to keep alive, and the ability to fix party positioning go a long way to sustaining a run.

With all these stuns, Bounty Hunter is great to hit finishers or his own stuns from any rank - along with enemy punting - but kinda has a dead 4th skill in this setup. This setup interacts in interesting ways with different classes in 4th, trying a second Crusader now. :)

(This probably won't work as well later in the game due to stuns not being as viable.)

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 4, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This game's art style looks extremely good but the gameplay looks like basically nothing but RNG, then your only responses to the RNG are various ways of placing your trust in the RNG again. Do you have much control or ways to get 100% chances on things that matter or is it always a prayer simulator?

Most things have high chances of happening, and there are ways to increase your chances by quite a bit with trinkets, skill upgrades, jesters, etc. If it was nothing but RNG you'd just blindly hold right to move your party along and hope to win but there is actually a pretty considerable amount of thought involved in what you do, I'm finding. I mean, every shot in XCOM has a chance to fail but there's still a huge amount of skill involved in playing that well. I don't see what's so bad about having some RNG. I say this as someone who was just previously complaining about getting wrecked by a series of really unlikely bad rolls. There were ways I could have handled that situation better and it was really far from irrecoverable even still. The RNG keeps things interesting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm enjoying the game so far, but I admit I was a bit surprised at the relatively minimal resolution options.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I thought this game was RNG heavy at first, but after a few hours I learned that I was just building my party wrong. Once I adjusted my tactics it actually became kind of easy. It still punishes me hard if I make a mistake but I feel that I can consistently win and what few deaths I've had recently were certainly my fault.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i'd say it's no more rng than FTL

and unlike FTL you really can't gently caress yourself over permanently, at least not at the moment

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The game does have a really strong RNG factor, but you are given the tools to mitigate it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm.

Honestly, I've been able to mostly avoid having anyone at DD, either through proactive healing/camping/bandages/antivenom, or through murder (occultist plus bounty hunter is sooo metal). Out of 20 or so missions I can count the number of death's doors on one hand (two or three times during bossfights, once a crit for 36 or so, and like once more maybe).

Grave robbers seem better in combat than plague doctors once you can't rely on stunlock. Lunge is a strong skill, and then you can reposition with fade into shadow and have crazy DODGE.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
occultist healing works best if you're super proactive about it and keep people from getting near DD in the first place

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you have an occultist cast nothing at all except the heal every single turn, you'll probably finish the dungeon near full HP.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Also, if you have good bleed resist due to trinkets/levels, then the occult heal becomes even better.
I stock up on the +blight and +bleed resist items whose only downside is -disease resist. I don't even know how diseases work, and half-think they haven't been implemented yet. Is it just something that's not as relevant until you're either doing lvl5 runs or low-light runs?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FreeKillB posted:

Also, if you have good bleed resist due to trinkets/levels, then the occult heal becomes even better.
I stock up on the +blight and +bleed resist items whose only downside is -disease resist. I don't even know how diseases work, and half-think they haven't been implemented yet. Is it just something that's not as relevant until you're either doing lvl5 runs or low-light runs?

I'm pretty sure it's chance to get negative quirks like Lockjaw or whatever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah, and stuff like getting Rabies from those loving wolves, diseases from those pigs vomiting on you, etc.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay I've put a couple hours into this, and I really like it, although I haven't beaten the necromancer yet. The sheer amount that you miss, and the amount that enemies dodge/resist is INCREDIBLY frustrating. Especially if you went to look a book stack and it drove your guy completely mad, who in turn drove everyone else mad. poo poo needs balancing.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

You can never get 100% guarantees of great results on single actions, but you can guarantee things won't do anything bad. You can also get your overall chance of clearing a dungeon run to upper 90 percentages by using good strategies and being prepared.

Good play comes down to setting things up so that average results are very desirable, but there's always a chance that you'll eat 4 consecutive crits. But when you've got the game down enough that consecutive crits are the only that wrecks you you'll have enough of a gold buffer that retreating doesn't set you back.

Honestly, the strings of really extreme luck, good or bad, are what make the game really sing. Seeing that you've got plenty of supplies for the last 4 rooms of a dungeon and deciding to go low-light while you backtrack from the dead end your in is a way to risk the entire run, but also to play for 10,000 gold if your packs are mostly empty.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

OK, I guess my heroes are all a mess of negative quirks anyway. (Rabies in particular is not all downside!)

My hellion simultaneously had THREE of the 'will only do X in town' traits, so when it came time for stress relief it took multiple sanatarium trips. Two of my other heroes had two such traits as well...

e:

HogX posted:

Okay I've put a couple hours into this, and I really like it, although I haven't beaten the necromancer yet. The sheer amount that you miss, and the amount that enemies dodge/resist is INCREDIBLY frustrating. Especially if you went to look a book stack and it drove your guy completely mad, who in turn drove everyone else mad. poo poo needs balancing.

Rule one of Lovecraft setting is don't read books! Books are bad for you! I think the necromancer is mostly a matter of statting up your party so that they don't get overwhelmed by spawns. Alternatively, you could build a party around back attacks, along the lines of what you need to do for the hag.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 4, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HogX posted:

You can address accuracy issues through party buffs (Jester), self buffs (Leper), campfire buffs (Leper, maybe others), relics, or upgrading the level of your skills. Each skill level gives 5% additional accuracy for most skills which is your primary way of fixing your accuracy and the real gate for doing level 3 or 5 quests.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think your accuracy also suffers in low light conditions. I'm not sure because I stay in 76%-100% basically always (some night ambushes are the exception), since the game is so much more punishing in low light.

If I recall correctly, the two times I really really suffered for accuracy were a) the first quest I did without bringing enough torches and b) the first level 3 quest I did, which was before I had any skill above level 2 due to lack of deeds.

E: I'm now tempted to try a no-torches game. If you massacre disposable lvl 0's you might be able to get enough gold to push an A-team through a no-light dungeon.

E2: I'll also note that I have two copies of the relic that gives dodge and protection for light on 75, so there's even more of an incentive to stack torches.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 4, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Low-light isn't too terribly bad. I mentioned my party earlier which seems to work well for low-light dungeons.

Occultist - sits in the back row and heals. He carries the dodge debuff and the accuracy/damage debuff for any big enemies I run across that don't have high debuff resist. His position doesn't really matter because...

(skill names are probably off, I'm at work)

Grave Digger - Lunge, Shadow Step, Flashing Blades (the two-target dagger throw), Dodge buff
She has crazy high dodge (Base dodge, plus 20+ from Shadow Step and another 20+ from the dodge buff if you use it) so she virtually never gets hit. Has a crit relic and a dodge relic. Lunge does a lot of damage and has a ~24% base crit chance right now, modified even further by low light and hitting 35%+

Jester - Lunge, Solo, Party Buff, whatever
He has a very high crit rate (higher base than the grave digger by like 5%), the party buff is even more crit rating for everyone, a ton of dodge (higher without buffs than the Grave Digger, lower with GD's buffs) to similarly avoid taking damage entirely.

Highwayman - Lunge, Point Blank Shot, Grapeshot or whatever the multi-target shot is, and whatever 4th skill
Similarly has high dodge/crit, lower than the other two but this guy has Point Blank Shot which is supremely ridiculous. It will kill most non-Large enemies in a single hit plus it knocks back. He also has higher base damage than the Grave Digger.

Basically, the enemy's increased crit chance from low light is irrelevant because you dodge most hits, meaning they don't crit. Low light increases your damage by a whole lot because all of your characters have high crit chances already. Positioning doesn't matter because all three attacking characters move forward with their main lunging attacks, so being surprised has no effect on you.

If you had great gear on everyone (dodge relics in both slots) you could probably drop the healer.

e: There's also a version of that dodge/protection relic that gives them when your light is below 25%. I think it's one rarity level higher, but it's out there.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 4, 2015

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
How much time do you spend having the Jester heal stress? The one thing that really sells me on high-light is the additional stress multiplier. (scouting and surprise attacks also help)

I don't know if my playstyle would benefit from extra loot, frankly, since for medium+ dungeons I'm constantly running out of inventory space. I just did a large dungeon and basically the whole inventory was fat stacks. Does low-light increase the chance of rarer/better relic drops?

e: I've already seen the moon relic, and I trashed it since I was out of space and did not see myself using it on that save file.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mummified Remains:
??? (I've tried shovel, anti-venom, medicinal herbs, holy water, and torch)
Bandages, to protect your hands

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Stress isn't too much of an issue, since attacks aren't hitting and I'm getting so many crits. I haven't done a full low-light dungeon from start to finish but I've been intentionally buying fewer torches than I need to see what happens when the light gets low and I've had success when it's completely out. If I did the entire dungeon at <25% light that might be different.

I have no idea what the reward aspect of Low Light is. I think I'm getting more paintings and deeds and stuff but those fill up your inventory pretty fast, like you mentioned. I've been getting some quality relics but the sample size isn't large enough for me to compare it to full-light runs.

e: ^^^ it figures, those are the one thing I figured I didn't need to try. "Oh, he's already covered in bandages, what good would more do?!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm pretty sure Darkest Dungeon strategy is why adventurers' guilds were founded.

"Thank you for bringing back some loot so I can fund the real heroes. Here's your 25% cut of the proceeds. Look on the bright side, with two of you dead, the survivors get more each! Sorry about the gibbering madness, good luck in your future employment elsewhere."

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Is there a way to unlock all your class skills or do you have to pay 1000g per skill you want on every guy you recruit, forever?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Doesn't the discount apply? I think you could get it down to 500g or 600g, eventually.

It's not like every character needs every skill, anyway.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone noticed an issue with the Sanitarium removing the wrong negative Quirks? Two weeks in a row I've been trying to get debilitating quirks off my main jester and grave robber, but the wrong quirks keep being removed.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Just lost a dude at the Hag, and in my panic I retreated with another one still in the cauldron. Welp... 2 more to the graveyard

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dackel posted:

Just lost a dude at the Hag, and in my panic I retreated with another one still in the cauldron. Welp... 2 more to the graveyard

I'm sure he tasted good

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

I'm sure he tasted good

His name was Dizzysandwich. so yes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Has anyone noticed an issue with the Sanitarium removing the wrong negative Quirks? Two weeks in a row I've been trying to get debilitating quirks off my main jester and grave robber, but the wrong quirks keep being removed.

As far as I can tell it sometimes just removes the quirk at the top rather than the one you select. I think it's worked correctly at least a few times though.

...You can retreat while in combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dackel posted:

I feel your pain, I lost my best Crusader to retreating from the Hag while he was still in the pot :ohdear:

Went back a little later and rekt her poo poo though, avenged him good.