Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

the wildest rear end posted:

Which touhou has committed the most war crimes?

Reisen is a deserter and collaborator with wanted enemies of the Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Miko set up a civil war in her own country in order to secure her powerbase. Temples were burned.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Eirin slaughtered a bunch of diplomats.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Satori harbours weapons of mass destruction with very poor control standards

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

brave nazi aviator posted:

yukari conspired to launch a war of aggression against the moon which makes her a class A war criminal

YUKARI DID NOTHING WRONG 8/25

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Reimu destroyed alternative energy sources.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Eirin slaughtered a bunch of diplomats.

Mokou murdered a bunch of royal servants to get back at the moon.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't think that was revenge though, IIRC she just went crazy over the whole immortality thing and pushed the one dude off Mt. Fuji (the rest were already killed by that one volcano god).
Now the 300 years of indiscriminate random killing she did afterwards, that's something else.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Does indiscriminate killing really count as war cimes? Because if so Yuyuko or the Saigyou Ayakashi would probably have everyone beat.

If not then maybe Seiga for manipulating royalty into starting a civil war for immortality and for making zombies with evil Hermit magic which is like war against the natural order of life or something.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yuyuko ain't for indiscriminate killing, at least after she died. And she didn't exactly have control over her ability before she karked.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

HGH posted:

I don't think that was revenge though, IIRC she just went crazy over the whole immortality thing and pushed the one dude off Mt. Fuji (the rest were already killed by that one volcano god).
Now the 300 years of indiscriminate random killing she did afterwards, that's something else.

Where'd he volcano god thing come from? All I can remember is Eirin's bio saying she gave the hourai elixir to the Emperor of Japan to buy his silence, but he decided to send his servants to throw it in a volcano only for them to die under mysterious circumstances, while Mokou's bio says she showed up at the volcano to steal it, with the implication that she murdered them for it.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Cage in Lunatic Runagate suggests otherwise.

quote:

"While you and that man have been asleep, these foolish humans have decided to take the contents of the jar as their own and have begun killing each other."

Once I woke up, I was speechless at the sea of blood that surrounded me.

"At the time, I couldn't think too clearly about what had just happened. Sakuyahime said the men had started killing each other, but now that I think of it the scene of the incident didn't lend itself to such a simple explanation. Some of the bodies laying before me were burned to a crisp. It was as if some great battle must have occurred, or some mysterious creature had suddenly attacked. There's no way that Iwakasa and I could have slept through all of that."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
One of the moonbitches, I forget which one, threatened to nuke Gensokyo with a magic fan.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Where'd he volcano god thing come from? All I can remember is Eirin's bio saying she gave the hourai elixir to the Emperor of Japan to buy his silence, but he decided to send his servants to throw it in a volcano only for them to die under mysterious circumstances, while Mokou's bio says she showed up at the volcano to steal it, with the implication that she murdered them for it.

You should read Cage in Lunatic Runagate. It's probably one of ZUN's best works.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 2, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i was secretly a bad 2hu fan all along

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

I just realized this is KonohanaSakuyahime and the only reason I know that is SMT. All this time I've just remembered her as "that other Sakuya".
Ah, the power of pop culture. Sucks.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I really like the concept of favorite foods and certain food combos giving you special abilities temporarily.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

Yuyuko ain't for indiscriminate killing, at least after she died. And she didn't exactly have control over her ability before she karked.
亡霊になってからは、生前の事等すっかり忘れ、それはもう死に誘う事を楽しむようになっていたのだから世話も無い。
"Since she became a ghost, she had completely forgotten everything about her living life, and started to enjoy luring people to their deaths. Now that certainly is hopeless."

Yuyuko as a ghost completely betrayed her virtuous former self, and becomes a monster who kills invites people to her garden for fun. And freed from a guilty conscience, she's arguably better for it. That is her story.

HGH posted:

I just realized this is KonohanaSakuyahime and the only reason I know that is SMT. All this time I've just remembered her as "that other Sakuya".
Ah, the power of pop culture. Sucks.
As the sages like to say, it ain't no shame your horizon got expanded pop culture, it's what you did after seeing the new horizon that matters. Sakuyahime's story boils down to Ninigi, the ancestor of emperors, choosing her, the flower-like transient glory, over Iwanagahime, who grants immortal but looks ugly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cuc posted:

亡霊になってからは、生前の事等すっかり忘れ、それはもう死に誘う事を楽しむようになっていたのだから世話も無い。
"Since she became a ghost, she had completely forgotten everything about her living life, and started to enjoy luring people to their deaths. Now that certainly is hopeless."

Yuyuko as a ghost completely betrayed her virtuous former self, and becomes a monster who kills invites people to her garden for fun. And freed from a guilty conscience, she's arguably better for it. That is her story.

But another of her Bio's says she got the job as Netherworld caretaker by being surprisingly responsible with her terrifying murder/ghost control powers. So I assume she's stopped caring about the moral quandary's of killing people with a thought, but only does it responsibly I guess. :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

WarpedNaba posted:

Satori harbours weapons of mass destruction with very poor control standards

Kanako meanwhile has violated numerous anti-proliferation treaties.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But another of her Bio's says she got the job as Netherworld caretaker by being surprisingly responsible with her terrifying murder/ghost control powers. So I assume she's stopped caring about the moral quandary's of killing people with a thought, but only does it responsibly I guess. :v:

Given the number of immortals and jackass Celestials laying about and causing grief, methinks she's a little lax in the slaughtering department.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

Given the number of immortals and jackass Celestials laying about and causing grief, methinks she's a little lax in the slaughtering department.

She tried to think Mokou to death but it didn't work.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think Miko 'Youkai Genocide ' Toyosatomimi is pretty chill considering everything that's happened

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amuayse posted:

I think Miko 'Youkai Genocide ' Toyosatomimi is pretty chill considering everything that's happened

What does Miko have to do with Youkai Genocide? She just started a civil war amongst her own countrymen in order to consolidate her power, promote Buddhism as a way to control her subjects, and keep the secrets of immortality hidden from the lower masses as only someone of her stature and ability (and her friends) could possibly be trusted to not cause political destabilisation with immortal life.

She is pretty goddamn chill though. Probably one of the better people to hang out with in Gensokyo imo.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Plus, she's allowed to eat meat and drink booze. Def one-ups the Buddhists in that regard.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Isn't Miko the saint who preaches youkai extermination though? Well according to Nue at least.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amuayse posted:

Isn't Miko the saint who preaches youkai extermination though? Well according to Nue at least.

Miko had been asleep for a thousand years when Nue called for Mamizou. She didn't know poo poo. Except that Byahkuren was kind of wary about her temple being buried underground.

Miko's definitely more on the side of humans though, and apparently helps people who are being attacked by Youkai but she doesn't really go after them herself. She dislikes Byakuren though because she's an idiot and a hypocrite. But for the most part Miko is too busy chilling in a pocket dimension and scamming people out of their money to do much Youkai murdering.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Miko can get a bit insufferable what with her insanely high opinion of herself (who else would help guide those poor humans but the immortal former prince/emperor?), but her intentions are pretty good all around I'd say. I recall that she totally wanted to rule the human village then shot down the idea when she was convinced they didn't need her cause it'd mess up the balance of power.

cuc posted:

As the sages like to say, it ain't no shame your horizon got expanded pop culture, it's what you did after seeing the new horizon that matters. Sakuyahime's story boils down to Ninigi, the ancestor of emperors, choosing her, the flower-like transient glory, over Iwanagahime, who grants immortal but looks ugly.

If there's one thing I can say about Touhou, it's that it keeps making me look up and read about mythology and history. So yeah, broadening horizons.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HGH posted:

Miko can get a bit insufferable what with her insanely high opinion of herself (who else would help guide those poor humans but the immortal former prince/emperor?), but her intentions are pretty good all around I'd say. I recall that she totally wanted to rule the human village then shot down the idea when she was convinced they didn't need her cause it'd mess up the balance of power.

Nah, she became fine with not leading the human population when Marisa said she was cool with the status quo because what's the need of changing it as long as its fun? And Miko respects Marisa's opinion because she's just a regular human so she decides to put that idea on hold. She goes right back to it in HM though but apparently drops it again once Kokoro is dealt with and the Human Village has its hope restored.

Miko's arrogance is great though because she's so confident that she's better than everyone that people beating her doesn't bother her at all and she'll sincerely congratulate and praise them without losing even a little bit of her huge ego. And I wouldn't call her intentions good since way back when she started a bloody civil war since she's the only person who deserves immortality because she's the smartest and the best. She seems to have chilled out upon actually becoming immortal though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

My favorite thing about Miko is she almost poisoned herself to death trying to gain immortality, then made Futo do that Tao death-faking technique just to make sure this isn't some elaborate suicide method as well. Also she's friends with Seiga Claus.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Seigas reverse-santa article is the best. Hohoho, I'm here to steal your poo poo.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I treat Touhou Bio's the same way I treat pokedex entries, only replace "literally writen by 10 year olds" with "written by a guy who's perpetually drunk"

Tengames fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 3, 2015

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Zun's actually pretty clever with drip-feeding character details to the fandom while still letting people have "their own Gensokyo." He prints extended bios, with the caveat that they're written in-character as Akyu and also embellished by the youkai. So there's no telling what's accurate and what's not, but it still expands the world.

Unless you're talking about the bios Zun writes in the readme.txt every game, but I don't read those.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The readme bios are actually pretty interesting, so you should!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Also she's friends with Seiga Claus.

They're not really friends. Akyuu notes in Seiga's profile that she doesn't really hang out with the Taoists, and Miko admits in the symposium that Seiga's pretty evil. Miko's just a chill person who doesn't mind taking advantage of evil when it's convenient, and Seiga just likes to use interesting people until she gets bored of them. It's implied that Seiga got bored of Miko.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 4, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

I can never understand how anyone would ever hate Natto. It's like the best thing to ever put on rice save for probably tororo kombu. Also pics of Remilia and natto
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts?utf8=%E2%9C%93&tags=remilia_scarlet++nattou+

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Isn't it cannon that Remilia also hates beans too?

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I think it was mentioned in a chapter of WaHH.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
One of the best, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Isn't it cannon that Remilia also hates beans too?

Yeah, it's weird. Vampires are considered a subclassification of Oni in Japanese mythology, so getting beans thrown at them gets included in their weaknesses.

It's odd, too. They apparently lose their weakness to religious symbols, but retain their weakness to sunlight. Japan's weird like that.