Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Is Diamond Tony's the place with the big boat above the bar or something? I went there twice before, though both times were for large group meals, so we were in private rooms instead of in the open area. The view's nice up there, food is decent but not mindblowing.

I'm DTF, but don't recommend DTF because it's noisy as gently caress and a terrible choice if you're trying to do a fancy date or whatever.

You should poke around the Hungry in Taipei blog and look at the high price options and see if any of them look interesting to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think DTF makes really tasty 小籠湯包, but the thing is you can get slightly less-good 小籠湯包 for a fraction of the price all over the place

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

PaybackJack posted:

If I was going to ask her to marry me, I'd take her to J.W. Teres. It's a Bulgarian place, runs around 2k for food per person, 3k for a bottle of wine. It's easily one of the best restaurants I've been to in the world. Owner is a really cool guy, makes his money selling expensive and old alcohols, was formerly an investment banker and decided to open his own restaurant. His place is usually empty because he has a select clientele that frequents and he doesn't need to pack the place. Not to sound like a loving elitist but it's really not for everyone and if you don't have a really discriminating palate for food, you're probably wasting your time going there unless you want to drop another 5k on 40 year old whiskeys. I went to La Festa which was the first Italian restaurant opened in Taiwan by a Michelin rated chef and it was completely bland by comparison. I went to J.W. for my birthday a year ago and dropped 14k, I'll probably do the same thing again in 15 days for my next birthday.

If you just want a nice place to have dinner and not spend over 2k for 2 people. I'd go with A Plus, which is a neo Japanese restaurant just north of Renai on Anhe. It's a sake bar which is cool if you're into that. They have really good sashimi, excellent rolls(go with the fried cheese one) and some excellent grilled stuff(the ribs with tomato sauce will melt in your mouth).

MY WAIFU is actually big on eastern European food so she's picky about that sort of stuff after our last trip to Poland. And Diamond Tonys sounds like a miss since she's Italian.

The Plus sake bar sounds like a good fit. I'd like to spend about 6k NTD all said and done on this for the two of us.

Basically I don't need classy as gently caress but I'd like a restaurant with nice food a cut above the norm and some ambiance.

My family in Taiwan aren't picky about anything except liquor so I don't think they'd know food.... Otherwise I'd press them more. They kind of just shrug and go to a coffee bar and then say all the food in town is good.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

PaybackJack posted:

Lots of: I think and lots of I assert

I think your posting is awesome, amongst the beat in the world, in fact.

Insane Totoro posted:

Thanks for the info!

If you had to take a girl somewhere really nice in Taipei on a date and you didn't mind $$$$ where would you go? It doesn't have to be Taipei 101

I'm also DTF

Omg, kill me now.

I've poo poo in every thread I posted in, but I don't think I ever did this.

url fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 27, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

url posted:

I think your posting is awesome, amongst the beat in the world, in fact.

This man here also makes some fine foods, catering service not yet available but stay tuned. Could be the next Baba Kevin or Mr.Sausage.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

PaybackJack posted:

Could be the next Mr.Sausage.

Why would you wish this on a friend

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

quadrophrenic posted:

Why would you wish this on a friend

I dunno, I never thought he was terrible. A bjt expensive, but, as sausages go I thought his stuff was decent enough.

I'm British, I shouldn't comment on food. I apologize.

Also, job offer came in earlier on today

:toot:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

I dunno, I never thought he was terrible. A bjt expensive, but, as sausages go I thought his stuff was decent enough.
Nah they were fine, especially compared to most of the poo poo passing as (non-Taiwanese-style) sausages.

quote:

Also, job offer came in earlier on today

:toot:
So, who bent who over on pay rate? Or did it just end up as a mutual handjob?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Nah they were fine, especially compared to most of the poo poo passing as (non-Taiwanese-style) sausages.

So, who bent who over on pay rate? Or did it just end up as a mutual handjob?

I've accepted the offer from QNAP (because they only gave me 48hours to accept), but, there's two others who promised to get back to me, one of which was promising (display technology) The other, I'd give a right arm to work for (smartphones).

I was asking 58.5, they asked what was the lowest I'd go to, so in the interests if appearing 'flexible' I said 57.

They've offered exactly that, its the usual 14 in 12 plus an extra month on company performance related, 7 days leave yadda yadda.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Surprised nobody's posted ubike.gif

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

More like TaipeiDriving.gif

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

Surprised nobody's posted ubike.gif

9.2 Excellent dismount

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Ummm...holy poo poo guys. :stare:

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2015/02/04/428185/Nine-killed.htm

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Don't fly to the islands.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

JFC, so much for my thoughts of flying down to Taitung or something.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's only been like 8 months since the last one.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
this is some action movie level fucknuttery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fWhYJNZt08

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Does anyone know where I can buy good Western style black tea? I expect there's a shop that imports it in Taipei but anywhere's fine.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Does anyone have any experience living/working in Taiwan with a family, specifically a spouse and child?

I have a baby and we are discussing spending a few years teaching abroad when the kid is between 3 and 5 years old.

Wife and I have been living in third world conditions in Latin America in the Peace Corps, so I'm not too stressed about adapting to a foreign culture or language or anything like that. We're looking at Taiwan because it sounds like it would be a reasonable standard of living based on what I've read. We're also used to living on a very low budget, which I anticipate would continue to be the case.

Probably would teach. Wife and I both have master's degrees in English and university-level teaching experience. Would these things give us a pay boost or special opportunities?

Hoping to have the little one learn Chinese through immersion. Would it be feasibile to enroll her in kindergarten or preschool in a local school? We are raising her bilingual Spanish/English, so I'm hoping she will be able adapt more quickly to a new language if we get her started early. We don't know Mandarin, but that would also be one of our main objectives.

Do any teaching jobs include your lodging? I know I've seen those deals in some other countries.

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, because I'm still exploring the thread...

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Does anyone have any experience living/working in Taiwan with a family, specifically a spouse and child?

I have a baby and we are discussing spending a few years teaching abroad when the kid is between 3 and 5 years old.

Wife and I have been living in third world conditions in Latin America in the Peace Corps, so I'm not too stressed about adapting to a foreign culture or language or anything like that. We're looking at Taiwan because it sounds like it would be a reasonable standard of living based on what I've read. We're also used to living on a very low budget, which I anticipate would continue to be the case.

Probably would teach. Wife and I both have master's degrees in English and university-level teaching experience. Would these things give us a pay boost or special opportunities?

Hoping to have the little one learn Chinese through immersion. Would it be feasibile to enroll her in kindergarten or preschool in a local school? We are raising her bilingual Spanish/English, so I'm hoping she will be able adapt more quickly to a new language if we get her started early. We don't know Mandarin, but that would also be one of our main objectives.

Do any teaching jobs include your lodging? I know I've seen those deals in some other countries.

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, because I'm still exploring the thread...

Don't do it, Jim!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Oh it's totally doable. A bunch of my coworkers and friends have wives and children. I believe one of em sends his middle-school-aged daughter to an AIT affiliate school I think? There are certainly enough American schools here to find one for the kid, and from what I know they may offer bilingual instruction, especially at the kindergarten level.

I know of one buxiban that provides lodging, Gloria, and from what I hear it's pretty cheap but kinda dorm-style, and probably not accommodating to a family. But hey. CoL is generally pretty low here, and you can certainly find a nice place on double income, and probably even a luxurious one if you're willing to book it to the suburbs even a little bit.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
What's the weather like in Taiwan right now? I'm visiting tomorrow and I can't tell if I should be bringing a coat or not.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Shadowhand00 posted:

What's the weather like in Taiwan right now? I'm visiting tomorrow and I can't tell if I should be bringing a coat or not.

A light jacket should be fine. Unless you think 20*C is cold.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

If you're going to be here for the Chinese New Year period, bring a coat. It's always cold and lovely for CNY, regardless of the weather on either side. We're not talking like some thick-rear end down jackets or anything, but a fairly light coat would be a good idea.

e: Assuming you're coming up north and not down south.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 14, 2015

okami
Oct 23, 2014

Thesaurus posted:

-Your child will get away with murder with at any kindergarten, especially if blue eyed and blond hair. Picking up Mandarin may be difficult depending on age. Taiwanese are great at perseverance, not so much at patience.
-You can save easily, but university positions are hard to find without a PhD and then you have to get your lecturer's license. Most universities try to avoid that.
-You can easily enroll your child, but most Taiwanese kindergarten teachers have poor English communication skills.
-You DO NOT want lodging provided by your school. I've heard enough stories and seen enough school provided lodging to say that. Your school can sort you out with rent.591.com.tw and I strongly suggest you not rent from their family.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

okami posted:

-Your child will get away with murder with at any kindergarten, especially if blue eyed and blond hair. Picking up Mandarin may be difficult depending on age. Taiwanese are great at perseverance, not so much at patience.
-You can save easily, but university positions are hard to find without a PhD and then you have to get your lecturer's license. Most universities try to avoid that.
-You can easily enroll your child, but most Taiwanese kindergarten teachers have poor English communication skills.
-You DO NOT want lodging provided by your school. I've heard enough stories and seen enough school provided lodging to say that. Your school can sort you out with rent.591.com.tw and I strongly suggest you not rent from their family.

Haha, she's blue eyed and blonde all right.

Thanks for the tips, folks. I think the main question at this point will be the pay/savings ratio for different kids of jobs. My wife may not be working the whole time, or it may just be part time. It turns out that when you have a human being you're responsible for, one needs to think about saving more than just beer money.

Is it a good idea to go with something like Hess for your first year while you find your footing, or with our backgrounds would we be better served just showing up and hunting around for something more remunerative?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Thesaurus posted:

Haha, she's blue eyed and blonde all right.

Thanks for the tips, folks. I think the main question at this point will be the pay/savings ratio for different kids of jobs. My wife may not be working the whole time, or it may just be part time. It turns out that when you have a human being you're responsible for, one needs to think about saving more than just beer money.

Is it a good idea to go with something like Hess for your first year while you find your footing, or with our backgrounds would we be better served just showing up and hunting around for something more remunerative?

Unless both you and your wife were working (or if you didn't have a kid already), I would probably avoid Hess. They start at NT$580/hr, guaranteed 20 hours a week, but no guarantees of more hours. At my branch I'm putting in 22 hours a week, which is fine for me, but on average that works out to about NT$50,000 a month gross. Your first six months pay will be taxed at 18%, so you're looking at about NT$41,000 net, or just shy of US$1,400 a month. If you think you can live on that (shopping smart can make your money go far), then it can be an okay gig.

okami
Oct 23, 2014
Hess is a really mixed bag as it depends entirely on who your manager is. They're also by the book so tax avoidance and extra work are hard to come by.

I'd focus on which city you'd want to live in. For saving money, I'd avoid Taipei, Ilan, Hualian and Taidong. Ilan might have changed. I'm not sure since the new highway was put in

Your wife can focus on privates since she's a woman. You can also have one spouse on a work ARC and then have the other as a joining family residency visa. Then she's beholden to no boss and can save on taxes. Foreigners get screwed on tax rates since there's almost 500,000 of us working on the island.

For you, you'll want to focus on getting that morning kindergarten work along with your cram school hours. Your wife can get a kindergarten job that allows her to be with your daughter.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

okami posted:

Hess is a really mixed bag as it depends entirely on who your manager is. They're also by the book so tax avoidance and extra work are hard to come by.

Not if you keep your trap shut.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I'd actually think just enrolling in local school is fine at about 3 yo. At that age everything is very simple and she will probably pick up the language quickly (don't expect it to stick unless you actually keep up with it though -- I've met lots of people who learned Chinese once as kids and then forgot it...)
It's when you start talking about throwing a 10 year old white kid in with locals who have been cramming Chinese characters and calculus from 7am to 10pm everyday since the age of 6 that enrolling in a local school starts to be a problem

Also there is black tea available everywhere here, IDK about quality though

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Are there any stores at all on this entire island that have a selection of deli meats? Now that I'm unself-employed, I'm doing all my own cooking, but because I'm still a giant goon that still means sandwiches every day. Getting pretty sick of the ham slices they have at Welcome.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

Are there any stores at all on this entire island that have a selection of deli meats? Now that I'm unself-employed, I'm doing all my own cooking, but because I'm still a giant goon that still means sandwiches every day. Getting pretty sick of the ham slices they have at Welcome.

City Super, though it'll probably cost you.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

lovely super~~~~

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Jason's at 101 too, but same.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Costco right now actually has deli-sliced honey-baked chicken and also big loafs of cooked turkey that you can slice yourself. Like all things on this island that are foreigner-oriented, I have no idea how long it will actually last. I've waited a long time for any deli meat here that wasn't ham.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Went to Sun Moon Lake this weekend. Very busy, lots of tourists, I'm a bit sore from all the walking and biking. But, had fun. Originally wanted to go to Hualien, but apparently the bus from Taichung to Hualien doesn't run in that direction during Chinese New Year, or something silly like that, and a friend's friend didn't want to have to go back up to Taipei to round the island down to Hualien. Kinda makes me want a car a bit more, and I'm seriously considering saving up for one, especially if I'm going to be here for a while.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just be aware that buying a car isn't a one time purchase in Taiwan. You will have to pay for an emissions check every six months. If you forget to do it, you'll get fined and still have to do it. Additionally, there are two annual taxes on the car (fuel and license plate). If the car is cheap these should be in the 10,000nt range total. It's based around the size of the engine and the age of the car.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
My wife and I trying to decide where to move. We've taught in Japan and Korea and are currently trying to decide between China, Taiwan, or Vietnam. We're leaning towards China because there are so many jobs but I'm worried about pollution. Vietnam seems nice but we'd need to invest in a CELTA, which seems redundant as we're going to become US certified teachers after passing the appropriate tests early next year. Taiwan seems nice but I have a few questions:

1. How's the job market. Other forums on the internet would have me believe that getting a job is very difficult and the glory days of teaching in Taiwan, if there ever were any, are long past. Particularly, how's the job market around September usually, which is the earliest we could arrive.

2. How's the savings potential for a married couple? We live on my wife's income and save mine at the moment. It's easy to do in Korea, but she also makes a fair bit more than your average English teacher in Korea.

I know these are kinda covered in the OP, but it's remained unchanged since I started applying to EPIK three years ago and I'm under the impression that things have at least changed slightly in the interim.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

As someone in China I say don't come here!!!!! Taiwan is like China but you make less relative money but also don't breathe toxic air.

:iiaca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
You hear that jobs are supposedly "harder to get" because the average English teacher is some sketchy bearded white dude with a BA in Bullshitting from West Missouri Bible College who hates children, picks fights with 7-11 clerks, and is really only here because he took a wrong turn on his way to Thailand. If you don't fit the above category you will be bombarded virtually every day with requests to teach English. As in literally a woman once chased after me on her bicycle yelling HEY YOU, I NEED AN ENGLISH TEACHER.

Seriously though, if you are a married couple with multiple year experience in the Korean government program you should be accepted really well I think. Savings, the sky is the limit, my monthly expenses (including rent, cell phone, health insurance, food, transportation, entertainment) are under 10,000 but I am a miser. I think normal people spend about 2-3x that.