Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh god now I'm going to cross shop the Scat Pack and the goddamn RS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2N6kZW8SDc&t=10s

Video from Evo with a little bit of exhaust/turbo noise and a couple clips of it drifting around the track. That color really needs to be more than "show car only".

eyebeem posted:

Nobody would ever cross shop completely different cars like that :byodood:

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

eyebeem posted:

Ford changed things at some point because people were complaining that sync would start playing music from their phones as soon as they got into their car. I want to say it was 2013.

My F150 w/ sync has the newer version that has to be told to use BT for input every drat time I get in it. It's beyond irritating and they really should have an option to make BT the default input.

I have an iPhone 6 and a Note4, and it's the same situation with either one. There's plenty of people bitching about it in Ford product forums.

I would like to put a smaller steering wheel in my Mustang but the only way to enable Bluetooth audio is via the steering wheel sync button.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

fknlo posted:

Judging by what one of the guys at fifteen52 is saying it will

Also judging by the fact that the ST is still faster than the new GTI(minus PP), I'm guessing the RS will have similarly better performance than the R. I'm going to be 34 this year and I want the more punishing car oriented towards performance since it isn't going to be my DD. If I find the right 911 before they come out it won't matter, but a nicer interior and more enjoyable ride don't do poo poo for me.

e: and it's not like this interior looks like poo poo either

Quibble time. This is supposed to be a 2016 and that is NOT sync3.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

according to the press release, the brake based torque vectoring is on top of the torque vectoring awd.

quote:

The Ford Performance All-Wheel-Drive system is based on twin electronically controlled clutch packs on each side of the rear drive unit. These manage the car's front/rear torque split, and can control the side-to-side torque distribution on the rear axle – delivering the "torque vectoring" capability that has a dramatic impact on handling and cornering stability.

The control unit in the rear drive unit continuously varies the front/rear and side-to-side torque distribution to suit the current driving situation, monitoring inputs from multiple vehicle sensors 100 times per second. A maximum of 70 percent of the drive torque can be diverted to the rear axle. Up to 100 percent of available torque at the rear axle can be sent to each rear wheel.

During cornering, the rear drive unit pre-emptively diverts torque to the outer rear wheel immediately based on inputs such as steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration, yaw and speed. This torque transfer has the effect of "driving" the car into the bend, achieving improved turn-in and stability, and virtually eliminating understeer.

The AWD system has been tuned to deliver exceptional grip – with lateral acceleration exceeding 1 g – and great cornering speed and acceleration out of a bend. With neutral and adjustable limit handling, and the ability to achieve controlled oversteer drifts at the track, Focus RS delivers an exceptional fun-to-drive experience.

To deliver optimum driving dynamics, the Ford Performance All-Wheel-Drive system was calibrated alongside the car's advanced Electronic Stability Control, in particular the brake-based Torque Vectoring Control system that works in parallel with the torque-vectoring AWD. Other exclusive chassis features include sports suspension with spring rates, bushings and antiroll bars – all of which are stiffer than those found in Focus ST, and two-mode switchable dampers, which offer a firmer setting for track driving. A carefully tuned electric power-assisted steering system working in combination with a more rigid front suspension knuckle design and shorter-link arms delivers connected and responsive steering with outstanding feel.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The roads here suck, we get a ton of bad driving conditions in the winter, and potholes are a constant threat but if this thing weighs in anywhere close to $40k CDN, it's going to be my next DD.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TKIY posted:

The roads here suck, we get a ton of bad driving conditions in the winter, and potholes are a constant threat but if this thing weighs in anywhere close to $40k CDN, it's going to be my next DD.

It should be, that's where the R tops out at and I can't imagine this RS will sticker for more. It however might get a markup at dealerships if it's limited in numbers.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

It should be, that's where the R tops out at and I can't imagine this RS will sticker for more. It however might get a markup at dealerships if it's limited in numbers.

Yeah that is a concern. I haven't looked but I have heard that Hellcats are getting $10k-$15k dealer markups here :/

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

People talking over panning shots of the Focus RS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2N6kZW8SDc

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

eyebeem posted:

The solution here is to get both - one for on-ramps and stoplights in the summer and the other for the twisties in winter. :flashfap:

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

ilkhan posted:

Quibble time. This is supposed to be a 2016 and that is NOT sync3.

Is it bad that this is one of the first things I noticed and could have me waiting till 2017? Haha.

I really like what I see so far, should be interesting to see where it falls price-wise. At this point looks like my next ride with either be an S550 Mustang or this. The GF likes the Mustang, which is a point in its favor. 320HP with AWD and a hatch sounds a bit more practical in Colorado however.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Is it bad that this is one of the first things I noticed and could have me waiting till 2017? Haha.

I really like what I see so far, should be interesting to see where it falls price-wise. At this point looks like my next ride with either be an S550 Mustang or this. The GF likes the Mustang, which is a point in its favor. 320HP with AWD and a hatch sounds a bit more practical in Colorado however.

I think at Detroit, Ford announced that all platforms would be Sync 3 in MY16. Seeing that I'm wondering if they might upgrade recent Sync 2 vehicles to 3. I doubt it, but would be nice having app link.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

fknlo posted:

Judging by what one of the guys at fifteen52 is saying it will

I have an uncle that works at Nintendo that pointed out you can't always trust the pricing in the European markets as compared to the US market. He knows about these kind of things ;)

Where is the poster from a few pages back who was talking about how much delight he was going to experience when it was announced the car was FWD? It seems like he should be paraded through the town square and we can pee in his breakfast cereal. :)

So in all likelihood the RS will be my next car. It'll be interesting to watch when the first models make their way to reviewers and then finding out when we start getting them here. Hopefully it won't be too long!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
http://jalopnik.com/porsche-cayman-gt4-this-is-it-1683600199

Welp. Yup, this is perfect right here. And it's stick only. :fap:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 4, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Ditto. I have zero interest in any VW product.

Double ditto. The RS not being a VAG product is a huge plus mark for me. A 300+ hp AWD focus is probably the only thing that might sway me from getting en EB Mustang at this point.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Residency Evil posted:

http://jalopnik.com/porsche-cayman-gt4-this-is-it-1683600199

Welp. Yup, this is perfect right here. And it's stick only. :fap:

I hope they sell a lot so maybe I can maybe have one someday, maybe.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ynotony posted:

I hope they sell a lot so maybe I can maybe have one someday, maybe.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Double ditto. The RS not being a VAG product is a huge plus mark for me. A 300+ hp AWD focus is probably the only thing that might sway me from getting en EB Mustang at this point.

Quadritto. I don't really buy new cars, and if I did I would want to keep it past warranty expiration.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Last page is the reason why we won't ever get another true enthusiast car without an unobtainable price tag. Yeah I want a fast cheap light weight, rwd/awd car with a stick and good handling. But I won't buy it if it doesn't have bluetooth integration, chilled seats, remote start, and a bunch of other things that add weight/cost/complexity to the car!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

HEY VAPER posted:

Last page is the reason why we won't ever get another true enthusiast car without an unobtainable price tag. Yeah I want a fast cheap light weight, rwd/awd car with a stick and good handling. But I won't buy it if it doesn't have bluetooth integration, chilled seats, remote start, and a bunch of other things that add weight/cost/complexity to the car!

Consumers have never been rational. Why should we start now?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

blk posted:

Quadritto. I don't really buy new cars, and if I did I would want to keep it past warranty expiration.

Is this still a thing? Newer VWs and Audis seem to have better build quality, no? Not saying you're wrong, I just genuinely thought their reputation had improved recently.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is this still a thing? Newer VWs and Audis seem to have better build quality, no? Not saying you're wrong, I just genuinely thought their reputation had improved recently.

In warranty, sure.

You couldn't pay me to take one out of it. I'd rather have a 996 with no service history.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ken Block checked to make sure the focus RS works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-mhyUAaqE

It does.

Why didn't they use this stuff for the promo video.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

Ken Block checked to make sure the focus RS works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-mhyUAaqE

It does.

Why didn't they use this stuff for the promo video.

Holy. gently caress. Yes.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I won't go near a VW product. After having at least half a dozen friends with different VW products over the past 10 years have catastrophic mechanical problems (under warranty, but still), it'll take a LOT to get me to walk into a VW dealership. And this coming from a Mitsubishi enthusiast who just bought his first Ford and is also driving a late 90's Chrysler.

Edit: Also say what you will about warranties, but one of those friends had a piston disconnect from a rod in a 1.8t engine and VW refused to install a new engine under warranty. They just repaired the block and reused it with new internal bits.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 4, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Heh, they try to make it seem like it's one cut, but he didn't have a mic, then suddenly... mic!

If you're really a masochist you can watch a 37 minute reveal video. Spoiler, it's mostly boring, wooden and scripted and has the above video nested in it.

edit: oh God some of their language reminds me of that "hello fellow teenager" meme

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 4, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

chupacabraTERROR posted:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/2014-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Press-Release.htm

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Scroll down on those press releases, VW is still pretty far below industry average for reliability (though Audis seem to fare a bit better, which makes you wonder how much of that is due to them being made in Germany instead of Mexico).

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/2014-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Press-Release.htm

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Scroll down on those press releases, VW is still pretty far below industry average for reliability (though Audis seem to fare a bit better, which makes you wonder how much of that is due to them being made in Germany instead of Mexico).

Interesting. My 2011 Jetta has had zero problems at all, guess I just got lucky *knock on wood*

I was considering upgrading to something fancier and was eyeing an Audi Q5 or Grand Cherokee. Both look like poor choices based on those reports.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SouthLAnd posted:

Holy. gently caress. Yes.

Empty quoting this forever. That thing looks like fun!

I said I'd never buy another VAG product but ended up in a Golf TDI when i was looking a couple years ago. Hopefully I don't run into the HPFP problem even though they've been covering the repair out of warranty. Can't even imagine how bad they'd get publicly flogged if they didn't cover an all too common $8k repair.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Interesting. My 2011 Jetta has had zero problems at all, guess I just got lucky *knock on wood*

It's not really old enough to make any judgement on that.

Re the Sync thing I wish they'd offer an option to leave it out entirely - those system all suck no matter how much they've improved from the previous generation

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dissss posted:

Re the Sync thing I wish they'd offer an option to leave it out entirely - those system all suck no matter how much they've improved from the previous generation

You say this, but a basic hands-free calling by name system is pretty much required for modern cars, and at the point where you have the ability to do that you may as well tack on the ability to control the music / climate control / whatever the gently caress else if you please.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

dissss posted:

It's not really old enough to make any judgement on that.

Oh I know. I had a 2001 Jetta before this with a litany of issues. I just meant that in my 4 years of ownership, it seems pretty good that I've had no issues to date. When I bought the 2001 Jetta in 2006 (around the same age as my current Jetta) it already had a bunch of electrical issues, while the newer one has had zero.

I still worry about it falling into a million pieces at any moment though :ohdear: I'll probably trade it in at the first sign of weakness.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Twerk from Home posted:

You say this, but a basic hands-free calling by name system is pretty much required for modern cars, and at the point where you have the ability to do that you may as well tack on the ability to control the music / climate control / whatever the gently caress else if you please.

Call me crazy but I absolutely won't buy a car with an LCD screen. White gauges too while I'm at it. I've never liked climate control and I prefer the little 2-3 dial systems you find on 90s cars. You should be able to operate every feature of the car without taking your eyes off the road, anything less is partly to blame for why we have so many lovely drivers on the road (cell phones too.)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

fknlo posted:

e: and it's not like this interior looks like poo poo either

It looks alright but HOLY gently caress is it terribly at being useful. I avoid Focus rental cars because the interior is a ergo mess.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

D C posted:

It looks alright but HOLY gently caress is it terribly at being useful. I avoid Focus rental cars because the interior is a ergo mess.

I had no problem adapting to the interior of my 12. The center stack was a little wide and the non-touchscreen radio had a lot of buttons, but it wasn't terrible. Everything felt pretty high quality. The location of the gearshift was awesome. It made me wish I had gotten a manual.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HEY VAPER posted:

I want none of this poo poo. I want all the go fast bits, comfy seats and no infotainment bullshit for at or under $35K.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I am doing mental backflips at the thought of the new GT4. Nail on the loving head, someone at Porsche was listening. I think I have a pretty solid business case to the Mrs. for this one. Since it's not limited production I'm hoping there's more than one model year so I can put an order in for one next spring.

Evo Magazine got the first look at it (much like they did with the 991 GT3). The ~7:40 ring time puts it in line with the 997.2 GT3. I heard a few people say it was a detuned 3.8L X51 engine (430hp) and AP saying it's 385hp at 30,000ft in 40 degree C weather makes the case that it's underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVWojMMeg4

That's the sound of the 997 GT3 bubble bursting.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twerk from Home posted:

That works fine with the functionality built into my phone - not sure why it all needs to be replicated (and invariably replicated worse) by the car itself when all it really needs to do is act as a glorified bluetooth headset.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

dissss posted:

That works fine with the functionality built into my phone - not sure why it all needs to be replicated (and invariably replicated worse) by the car itself when all it really needs to do is act as a glorified bluetooth headset.

Having just gone from a 2012 focus to a 2008 miata...I miss sync. I miss sync a whole loving lot. I wish I'd gotten the focus in a manual because I'd still have it. That was a drat useful car and the miata is cold as gently caress in winter. Having to run a cable from the back of the stereo through the center console and into the cupholders just so I can hear my ipod was enough. But now I've got to manage the thing while shifting and looking down and to my right into the cupholder to use it. same for the phone. Oh yeah, and I have to set my phone next to the gearshift to use pandora through the factory radio. I won't be upgrading the headunit because I like having an intact convertible top; yes, people still steal radios. I miss being able to click a butan and say 'play song gay bar' and have it play my song. I'm more distracted trying to do poo poo the old fashioned way than just using the really well implemented voice commands in sync.

On top of that, the miata just gets terrible gas milage by comparison. I'm lucky to get 21 mpg while the focus did 25-36 all day long. Sync has its issues, but man do you miss having all that stuff when it's gone. The miata is a great car, but holy poo poo as a daily driver the focus was so much easier to live with. Too bad I'm too poor to participate in the focus RS funtimes. I feel like I get priced out of everything these days :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HEY VAPER posted:

Yeah you melded three different conversations together to try and make your own point. That's not what was said last page.