Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This way, you can target specific things (Fracing bans & bag bans) without saying you're in favor of anything of the sort.

Why, I'm just voting to reaffirm the state is more powerful than cities, don't you agree that's true? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

So we can ignore all local speed limits, building codes and zoning ordinances.

I can finally, start that chicken farm on the balcony of my condo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dahn posted:

So we can ignore all local speed limits, building codes and zoning ordinances.

I can finally, start that chicken farm on the balcony of my condo.

You joke, but the state has clearly set forth regulations on raising Chickens so any city ordinance that would attempt to prevent or restrict you would be invalid.

So yes, Chicken time. But probably need to actually own your land.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

This is specifically to overturn Denton's fracking ban because STATE's RIGHTS (over local laws).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

This is specifically to overturn Denton's fracking ban because STATE's RIGHTS (over local laws).

No it's specifically to allow cities to implement anti-LGBT legislation.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

No it's specifically to allow cities to implement anti-LGBT legislation.

It's more than that. Any laws that the great state overlords deem to be an affront of their authority will be overturned. What this means is that it will either get overturned in court or have hilarious consequences. Possibly both.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

To briefly play devil's advocate preemption is an established legal doctrine that many cities like to play fast and loose with until they get called out on it.

But it is limited to very specific parts of a law, not massive swaths of subject matter like that atrocity of a bill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dante Logos posted:

It's more than that. Any laws that the great state overlords deem to be an affront of their authority will be overturned. What this means is that it will either get overturned in court or have hilarious consequences. Possibly both.

Yeah it's not even going to get a hearing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Yeah it's not even going to get a hearing.

Yeah. Still funny to think through the potential consequences because it is so abundantly clear Huffiness didn't.

Guy unironically thinks that the Boy Scouts allowing gay kids to join is an example of the Gay Agenda btw.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

To briefly play devil's advocate preemption is an established legal doctrine that many cities like to play fast and loose with until they get called out on it.

But it is limited to very specific parts of a law, not massive swaths of subject matter like that atrocity of a bill.

Typically that means a lower level of government can't have less restrictive laws though, not the other way round.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Typically yes, but there are situations where more stringent local laws are preempted by laxer state laws. It is pretty much limited to situations where the state laws say "you cannot do X unless the following conditions apply, then you can" and the local law just says "you can't do X. Ever." The idea being that a local government cannot override what the state law intended to permit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For those of you not following the USPol thread, today was Muslim Day at the Capitol.

It went real bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpuhYSyb8yY

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

For those of you not following the USPol thread, today was Muslim Day at the Capitol.

It went real bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpuhYSyb8yY

Heh, the Nazi sign is funny. Where do they get these people, don't they have jobs?
Unfortunately, "Hug a Muslim Thursday" is not practiced in most counties in Texas. The news is full of bad stuff going down in Muslim areas around the world. If every news story about crime started with "Wyoming native XYZ was involved..." you would start to think that everyone from Wyoming was a criminal.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Heh, sounds like conservatives may save us from other conservatives. Seems some of them aren't buying into the tax cut plan and would rather focus on paying down the debt first, so they're talking about poisoning the bill with amendments. Abbot has said he won't sign off on a budget that doesn't include the cuts, so I guess it's a game of who cracks first.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The establishment GOP has firm support in the House, backed up by Democrats. I think Straus can handle budgetary stuff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lawmakers are going to try again on a texting-while-driving ban that Rick Perry vetoed last time it passed. Abbott hasn't taken a position, and I think he's hoping the Lege just won't pass it this time.

quote:

During last year’s campaign, Abbott spokesman Matt Hirsch said he “supports laws already in place that prohibit cellphone use by young drivers and in school zones; but he is against additional government mandates that micromanage adult driving behavior.”

Tuesday, Abbott told reporters that it is “premature” for him to say whether he would veto the bill.

“If anything, one thing that I’m strongly supportive of is safety on the road,” Abbott said after a speech to a business group. “We don’t want people driving and hurting other people. We don’t want people texting and driving, but we need to find a way to do it without too much government intrusion.”

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Texas Standard is a new news program all about Texas. I'd suggest any Texan listen to it, as it's probably the only show I've heard that talks about both the American Sniper trial and the origins of brisket.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Senate State Affairs Committee is hearing two gun bills today: a campus carry measure and an open carry measure. Expect shenanigans. I imagine the Tribune will have a stream.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

The Senate State Affairs Committee is hearing two gun bills today: a campus carry measure and an open carry measure. Expect shenanigans. I imagine the Tribune will have a stream.

Looks like the Campus carry bill may go through. The open carry bill lost steam because, guys with thumb hole stock sks's, and AR's with lots of crap on them like to walk around having their picture taken.

Required gear for a real AR

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Both will likely pass the Senate but stall in the House. The new UT Chancellor Bill McRaven is an admiral and former SEAL and he published a letter saying campus carry is a bad idea for obvious reasons and because of his background his word carries a lot of weight. Strauss is apparently super mad about the threats and activities from the open carry people and is probably going to tank the open carry bill. He said in an interview yesterday that any group that uses those kinds of tactics regardless of the issue should be shut down.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He is correct, those 'activists' so poisoned the well on that issue. It was a slam dunk red-meat law to please the base, but imbeciles took it way to far and the people within the movement were legit shady individuals, like the suicide-murderer.

Campus carry is whatever. There's not going to be heroes. Even if I was carrying during class hours, if I heard anything remotely like a school shooting was happening I'd get the gently caress out, not look for the perp.

Edit: never mind that universities will lock down and students shouldn't be wandering around with a gun drawn like some movie hero, the police can't be sure who you are, or what you're doing. I guess you can blast through the door, but gently caress everybody and anybody behind potential door though, huh?

This poo poo is dumb.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 12, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

He is correct, those 'activists' so poisoned the well on that issue. It was a slam dunk red-meat law to please the base, but imbeciles took it way to far and the people within the movement were legit shady individuals, like the suicide-murderer.

Campus carry is whatever. There's not going to be heroes. Even if I was carrying during class hours, if I heard anything remotely like a school shooting was happening I'd get the gently caress out, not look for the perp.

Honestly they are both non issues in the practical sense that very very few people will avail themselves of these laws. It's more a proxy debate where the actual issue is "guns good v guns bad".

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

zoux posted:

Both will likely pass the Senate but stall in the House. The new UT Chancellor Bill McRaven is an admiral and former SEAL and he published a letter saying campus carry is a bad idea for obvious reasons and because of his background his word carries a lot of weight. Strauss is apparently super mad about the threats and activities from the open carry people and is probably going to tank the open carry bill. He said in an interview yesterday that any group that uses those kinds of tactics regardless of the issue should be shut down.

JSOC Commander running UT is Texas as gently caress.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Honestly they are both non issues in the practical sense that very very few people will avail themselves of these laws. It's more a proxy debate where the actual issue is "guns good v guns bad".

You say that but the few who benefit will be able to shoot minorities without legal repercussions. And honestly, isn't that more important in the state of Texas? To be more like Florida?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dante Logos posted:

You say that but the few who benefit will be able to shoot minorities without legal repercussions. And honestly, isn't that more important in the state of Texas? To be more like Florida?

Uh what? This has nothing to do with stand-your-ground.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Uh what? This has nothing to do with stand-your-ground.

If anything open carry will reduced minority deaths by allowing white people with guns an nonverbal way to threaten others with death and thus get what they want.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

If anything open carry will reduced minority deaths by allowing white people with guns an nonverbal way to threaten others with death and thus get what they want.

I cannot wait to see the shock on their faces when Latinos an blacks are open carrying as well.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I cannot wait to see the shock on their faces when Latinos an blacks are open carrying as well.

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will call the cops and report a suspicious person with a gun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

They won't be. Almost no one does. 44 states allow open carry but it doesn't happen very often.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

You do realize that most states have open carry laws already. So I don't see this creating a pistol packing zone, where everyone has a stainless S&W 500 attached to their hip.

edit: got beat

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

They won't be. Almost no one does. 44 states allow open carry but it doesn't happen very often.

I know, just daydreaming about nutty Tea Partiers hit by their own hubris.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I know, just daydreaming about nutty Tea Partiers hit by their own hubris.

That would be type II diabetes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dahn posted:

You do realize that most states have open carry laws already. So I don't see this creating a pistol packing zone, where everyone has a stainless S&W 500 attached to their hip.

edit: got beat

Right, only crazies want to open carry. But that doesn't help when a crazy man is screaming at you to turn that rap music down. But if he's open carrying you'll know he's armed and just do what he says.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Right, only crazies want to open carry. But that doesn't help when a crazy man is screaming at you to turn that rap music down. But if he's open carrying you'll know he's armed and just do what he says.

Interesting example, I can see where this may actually save a life here and there.

The fender bender, where the redneck comes flying out of his truck, ready to kick rear end, till he notices the pistol on the other guys hip.

Knowing a gun is in play could defuse things, before the concealed gun comes out and gets used.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Dahn posted:

Interesting example, I can see where this may actually save a life here and there.

The fender bender, where the redneck comes flying out of his truck, ready to kick rear end, till he notices the pistol on the other guys hip.

Knowing a gun is in play could defuse things, before the concealed gun comes out and gets used.

Or just as likely the redneck (soccer mom, gangster, trenchcoat mafia, anyone) gets out of their car in a rage and has the gun on their hip and draws.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can already carry a gun concealed in your car with no license. I'd imagine that the type of person who is going to open carry probably already has a gun in their car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dahn posted:

This is a terrible idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder: Greg Abbott will be delivering his State of the State at 11 today. Expect the usual stuff about border security and how great the Texas economy is. Abbott's already done a few things to separate himself from Perry though, so look out for more of that.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Reminder: Greg Abbott will be delivering his State of the State at 11 today. Expect the usual stuff about border security and how great the Texas economy is. Abbott's already done a few things to separate himself from Perry though, so look out for more of that.

How much smug triumphalism should we expect re: the immigration lawsuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just...just so loving smug.