Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

holy poo poo chopper dumping a stunned imperial droid into a big rear end hole then flexing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
this show would be good if it didn't have such a loving awful schedule

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Ahahaha, Treyvus was a lure for the Empire. Admittedly, I find it weird that he had to use 'gone' when, even if they were somehow alive, he could have lied and said 'dead' anyway.

Still, nice to see the setting fleshed out a bit more, even if we need a detour from Ezra plots at some point.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

this show would be good if it didn't have such a loving awful schedule

I hope you're not watching gravity falls then.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Astro Nut posted:

Ahahaha, Treyvus was a lure for the Empire. Admittedly, I find it weird that he had to use 'gone' when, even if they were somehow alive, he could have lied and said 'dead' anyway.

Still, nice to see the setting fleshed out a bit more, even if we need a detour from Ezra plots at some point.

I, for one, am absolutely shocked that Senator Trayvis would betrayvus. :haw:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

That particular bit of dialogue served to remind me that, even in 2015, "dead" is apparently still off-limits for children's television. It's a really obvious omission, and it doesn't help that it's compounded by Hera then immediately yelling something to the effect of "They're not GONE, don't listen to him, Ezra"

edit: VVVV Well there goes that theory, still a really weird-sounding bit of dialogue though :shrug:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 27, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cross-Section posted:

That particular bit of dialogue served to remind me that, even in 2015, "dead" is apparently still off-limits for children's television. It's a really obvious omission, and it doesn't help that it's compounded by Hera then immediately yelling something to the effect of "They're not GONE, don't listen to him, Ezra"

I dunno about that. Ezra said the word several times in Empire Day and Gathering Forces in regards to his parents.

"Didn't you hear Zeebo? He said he knows what happens to your parents!"
"I already know what happened! They're dead! So go!"
[...]
[grabs Zeebo] "Are they?! Are my parents dead?"

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 27, 2015

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I totally called this would happen all the way back when Rise of the Old Masters aired

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerkface posted:

holy poo poo chopper dumping a stunned imperial droid into a big rear end hole then flexing

:haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuV0zoDnK7g

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Astro Nut posted:

I'm really glad that he wasn't for real. Like that "coded" message was so criminally dumb that it really took me out of the episode, so at least it was a trap instead of just the worst attempt at a secret message ever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

edit: VVVV Well there goes that theory, still a really weird-sounding bit of dialogue though :shrug:

I think they used the word "gone" because his parents aren't really dead. Tseebo revealed that the Empire abducted -- not killed -- them. For all we know, it will probably become a plot point later.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Came here to make this joke. Great episode!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ugh, I'm behind on this show.

Idiot's Array

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 29, 2015

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

^ Say what you want about the show's art style, but there's some great direction and shot composition going on there. Nice GIFs! :cheers:

Speaking of Lando, he's possibly coming back to Rebels next season, which apparently is going to be 22 episodes long.

It's definitely good news, but somewhat strange considering how much of an under-performer the show seemingly is. I mean, I know they were picked up for Season 2 long before the pilot episode even aired, but 22 episodes?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What makes you say its an underperformer?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ratings for the premiere were incredibly good, with about 2.7 million viewers in the U.S alone, but once it made the switch from Disney Channel to Disney XD for the regular season, viewership dropped by almost half, and has been on a steady decline since.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 30, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Ratings for the premiere were incredibly good, with about 2.7 million viewers in the U.S alone, but once it made the switch from Disney Channel to Disney XD for the regular season, viewership dropped by almost half, and has been on a steady decline since.

Disney really wants to try forcing people to watch Disney XD don't they.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Disney XD is the channel right before Cartoon Network on my cable so I just jump back and forth between them

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Cross-Section posted:

^ Say what you want about the show's art style, but there's some great direction and shot composition going on there. Nice GIFs! :cheers:

Thanks! And here's Episode 10:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Can we please get a .gif of Chopper going full "THIS IS SPARTA LOTHAL"

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh and I guess Hondo's gonna be in the next season. Can't wait for the great fake-out of him turning out to be Fulcrum and not Ahsoka. The nerd tears would be glorious. :devil:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Oh and I guess Hondo's gonna be in the next season. Can't wait for the great fake-out of him turning out to be Fulcrum and not Ahsoka. The nerd tears would be glorious. :devil:

This legit sounds like a better idea.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

kingcom posted:

This legit sounds like a better idea.

I'd been curious a while about the possibility of him turning up again, highlight how the rise of the Empire affected piracy and such. Maybe rub it in Kanan and Ezra's face that he got to regularly do business with a famed Jedi master, despite being, y'know, a criminal and all.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Newest episode is up on WatchDisneyXD, it's pretty great. Tarkin shows up, executes the useless officers, then proceeds to get poo poo done. :clint:

edit: I honestly can't wait for (possible end-of-season spoilers)him to just loving glass Lothal; they keep alluding to it in and out of the show, and would fit so well with Tarkin's character.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 2, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, that certainly was an episode. :stare:

I was not expecting the comedy relief officers to get executed. :ohdear:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Kinda drained from other things, but hey, can cheer myself up with this episode. Fitting that I got the Tarkin novel for my birthday today.

Edit: Hot drat, what an episode. This is actually something major to have go down in what you'd otherwise think, at least by schedule, should be a regular old episode.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 2, 2015

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Newest episode is up on WatchDisneyXD, it's pretty great. Tarkin shows up, executes the useless officers, then proceeds to get poo poo done. :clint:

edit: I honestly can't wait for (possible end-of-season spoilers)him to just loving glass Lothal; they keep alluding to it in and out of the show, and would fit so well with Tarkin's character.

Any idea when this goes up on InDemand?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Wow, they definitely stopped messing around in this one. Rather suspected Tarkin would wind up killing somebody for failure, somewhat surprised the minister wasn't one of them. Man, considering the Inquisitor was the one who had the lock on "scariest person to have show up" for the show previously, it was beautiful how quickly Tarkin took that position over and had the Inquisitor under a certain amount of pressure to not "fail for the last time". I rather hope they don't kill Kanan off; the hinting at it was practically "guy looking at picture of his family in a war movie" level even before the ending, but it's kinda cliché to wipe out the mentor figure. Besides, how many mentors in fiction are portrayed as fallible and having to learn as much as their students? Kanan certainly doesn't have the usual "this guy makes it too easy for the protagonists" problem of most mentors either considering he's not actually that MUCH deadlier than the rest of the experienced members of the Ghost crew have been (and the Inquisitor still can kick his rear end at any time). Tarkin pretty much called it with Kanan's biggest threat being what he represented more than him being some uber-warrior. Glassing Lothal like Cross-Section suggests would be a better way to go dark; God knows most kid's shows don't have the balls to even hint at genocide (or for that matter straight up murdering reoccurring characters, even minor ones), and unlike Kanan dying which would be "victory at a heavy price" having the planet the heroes are fighting to save die would be a straight up loss from their perspective. Also a nice way to get them from just screwing around on one planet all the time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, this episode is what I want the show to be. This plus the Lando episode give me way too high hopes for Season 2.

My biggest problem so far is that the group is so small that I can't take them seriously as a threat to the Empire. They're just TOO scrappy. I guess that's the point, but I hope Season 2 speeds it up a little so we have a larger cast of characters to work with and we can actually see the Alliance starting to form piece-by-piece. If that stuff doesn't happen until next season it'll start feeling like it's just spinning its wheels.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 4, 2015

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, this episode is what I want the show to be. This plus the Lando episode give me way too high hopes for Season 2.

My biggest problem so far is that the group is so small that I can't take them seriously as a threat to the Empire. They're just TOO scrappy. I guess that's the point, but I hope Season 2 speeds it up a little so we have a larger cast of characters to work with and we can actually see the Alliance starting to form piece-by-piece. If that stuff doesn't happen until next season it'll start feeling like it's just spinning its wheels.

It is starting off small, but everything they do really shows how a insurgent group should operate. Identities are kept secret with codenames during operations, compartmentalization of knowledge so information can't be extracted, and the overall size is perfect. A cell that size on every planet is a pretty big resistance at first. Plus, the whole idea is to bring out as many people as possible, which this last episode likely did in terms of sparking a rebellion.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I can't help but laugh that we're essentially watching the adventures of a terrorist group.

feedmyleg posted:

I feel like you might be too hasty. The way I see it, it'll go seasonally. First season, all on one planet. Second season, regionally. Third season, maybe we get to see Imperial Coruscant.

As the rebels budget increases, and, importantly, as the Rebels budget (hopefully) increases.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Terrorist, freedom fighter. Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. :v:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Episode seriously owned.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I wonder if the end of this episode will get them some action away from Lothal. Although they do need to rescue Kanan too, but maybe Tarkin will take him somewhere else :ohdear:

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Terrorist, freedom fighter. Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. :v:

Yeah, I know. Still hilarious.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Incredible episode. I'm not ashamed to admit that Tarkin sent me into full-blown :neckbeard:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

meristem posted:

I can't help but laugh that we're essentially watching the adventures of a terrorist group.

Watching the last episode definitely made me think through the OT through the lens of a modern terrorist group. The family of a young orphan from a desert region is killed by armed soldiers, he joins up with a former war hero who defected from the current administration, they meet up with desperate criminals and rescue a foreign terrorist from prison, then join in a plot to bomb a government base.

Could easily see that story taking place in current-day Middle East.

e: Also, that guy does a great Peter Cushing impression, if a little over the top on the Rs.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Watching the last episode definitely made me think through the OT through the lens of a modern terrorist group. The family of a young orphan from a desert region is killed by armed soldiers, he joins up with a former war hero who defected from the current administration, they meet up with desperate criminals and rescue a foreign terrorist from prison, then join in a plot to bomb a government base.

Could easily see that story taking place in current-day Middle East.
I know that you're talking about the OT, but I think that part of what gives me the impression about the show is that Lothal is also pretty arid (as opposed to an ice planet, a jungle planet, an, uh, meadow planet, an urban planet and whatever the hell were whichever of Felucia/Mygeeto/Saleucami were in ROTS).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lothal is the Prairie Planet.

To be honest, I don't think I've seen a single tree on Lothal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

We've seen quite a bit of snow, though.

• Locked thread