Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tae posted:

The only thing I wish is a fully ready roster for the playoffs, always hate what-ifs like a lot of Thunder runs with injured players or that one time Zbo got suspended because he elbowed Steven Adam's face.

or when Blair had to miss a game vs the Spurs last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Anyone know how to link that Noah celebration .gif? Its one of my favorites and I want to share it

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Spacebump posted:

or when Blair had to miss a game vs the Spurs last year.

It's crazy that a guy that's logged 64 minutes this season had such a big impact on that series. I don't think the Mavs were going to win with him, but they had a much better shot. I'd prefer they'd just called Vince's blatant travel and we didn't have to go through all that bullshit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

the_american_dream posted:

Anyone know how to link that Noah celebration .gif? Its one of my favorites and I want to share it

I just googled Noah Snell gif and it's one of the first things to appear.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Terry Glenn posted:

Feels like a Jackson+Lamb or Perry Jones for Wilson Chandler trade is inevitable. Surely Reggie can improve everyone's spirits in Denver by giving full effort on every play.

e: wow they're getting lit up by Philly. I'd expect everyone but Nurkic, Faried, and Lawson to be on the block for a decent price soon.

Philly beat them handily; were up by ~20 for most of the game and they weren't even playing that well.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Me, before Brian Shaw was hired: He'll be totally fine, It's not like he'll insist on running the triangle on a team that thrives off a chaotic fast-breaking offense, right?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

Me, before Brian Shaw was hired: He'll be totally fine, It's not like he'll insist on running the triangle on a team that thrives off a chaotic fast-breaking offense, right?

Remember when he was going to run a post centric offense with Faried and McGee. In other news McGee has been back for a while and is playing like 15 minutes per game. I have a feeling He's going to have a one year run on a contender of total domination and fade back into obscurity.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Robin Lopez is back and is 3/3 with an offensive rebound in the first 6 minutes of the game :toot:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Niwrad posted:

I thought signing Melo was a mistake. They really should have pushed for a S&T and gotten some assets.

Even if they nail Okafor in the draft, he's probably not going to be a good player for a couple years. They don't have a 1st in 2016 so tanking next season is pointless. It seems doubtful the top free agents would leave to play for them this offseason. Just seems like by the time they dig themselves out of this hole Carmelo will be well out of his prime.

There's no motivation for anyone to participate in a sign and trade anymore.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Guys who will be restricted free agents and don't want to play a year on a qo?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

Guys who will be restricted free agents and don't want to play a year on a qo?

You have to be both "we'll match any offer" and "we'd take a crappy offer for him" which is a really narrow space.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

You have to be both "we'll match any offer" and "we'd take a crappy offer for him" which is a really narrow space.

It's complicado. This CBA is odd. I think the next will depart from this one in a lot of ways.

In other news, Minnesota has a two game lead for worst team. They're at 8, Philliy is 11, NY is 10. Minnesota is playing Zach Lavine A LOT, and he is terrible. He does not know how to play basketball. I say that sometimes about players who look lost, but Zach really doesn't know how, like he needs to watch youtube tutorials about running a pick and roll.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Igor Strelkov posted:

Remember when he was going to run a post centric offense with Faried and McGee. In other news McGee has been back for a while and is playing like 15 minutes per game. I have a feeling He's going to have a one year run on a contender of total domination and fade back into obscurity.

Pull the trigger Cuban

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Igor Strelkov posted:

One day I will tell my children the legend of JaVale McGee and they will not appreciate what a miracle of the universe it was that he was paid 10 million dollars a year to be a chucklehead.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Kevin Seraphin wants to snapchat, guys

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I will be sad when #kslife is no longer a thing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hornets signing Elliot Williams to a ten-day. I assume he's just a body?

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003
Obviously its still early in the season but who has looked the the rookie of the year so far? Will Wiggins overcome the terrible shooting narrative going on? Has anyone else been looking good?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jesus Rocket posted:

Obviously its still early in the season but who has looked the the rookie of the year so far? Will Wiggins overcome the terrible shooting narrative going on? Has anyone else been looking good?

Parker was the frontrunner at one point but it's basically just Wiggins now. I don't think another rookie is scoring in double figures, and everyone else is shooting badly too.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jesus Rocket posted:

Nerlens plays some pretty good defense and has some sick blocks

But Wiggins will win because he scores a lot

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
They should let Giannis have ROTY one of these years

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Igor Strelkov posted:

It's complicado. This CBA is odd. I think the next will depart from this one in a lot of ways.

In other news, Minnesota has a two game lead for worst team. They're at 8, Philliy is 11, NY is 10. Minnesota is playing Zach Lavine A LOT, and he is terrible. He does not know how to play basketball. I say that sometimes about players who look lost, but Zach really doesn't know how, like he needs to watch youtube tutorials about running a pick and roll.

The Lakers lost nine in a row, won one game, and ended up closer to falling out of the bottom five than before the nine loss streak. Like it sure seems like the actual lineup the Lakers are playing now shouldn't have to fight to stay in the bottom five but I guess that two week period where they played 500 ball doomed them.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
forum intermission

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
On repeat viewing it sorta looks like the trainer does fake a left cross to Blake's personals in response, which Blake then covers, which would indicate a more traditional friendship than one way bullying. Thanks

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Igor Strelkov posted:

Historically, head to head record doesn't mean anything at all in the playoffs. You just have to look at the matchups and season long production and see what you can see. Atlanta seems markedly better, but you cannot discount healthy Lebron. He's a monster truck with a grappling hook. It will be interesting if they play in round 2.

Yea, looking at season series results for playoff prediction is akin to tasseography (not good).

The Cavaliers D is so paltry I wouldn't even worry about LBJ with his monster truck and grappling hook this year.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also in the West, do you guys feel that the Griz and Warriors are "Finals"-caliber or do you feel it's still going to be one of the Texas teams?

If the season ended today:

Warriors
Hawks
Rockets

Jesus Rocket posted:

Nikola Mirotic seems to be leading in every value measurement I've checked.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also in the West, do you guys feel that the Griz and Warriors are "Finals"-caliber or do you feel it's still going to be one of the Texas teams?

I'm obviously biased but I think both the Warriors and Grizzlies are more legit contenders than Dallas at the very least, probably the other two as well. I think San Antonio's finally done, but of course people have been saying that for years.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
Wiggins isn't even shooting that badly. 43/37% at 16 points per game isn't awesome but it's good enough for RoY. The last two RoYs shot worse from the field and he somehow has even less competition than MCW did. He'll be the best RoY since Irving!

I just looked up Irving's stats. He's averaging 22/5 on 47/41/84%. Also a career high 1.6 steals per game. He has only missed three games so far this season.

Edit:

Zogo posted:

The Cavaliers D is so paltry I wouldn't even worry about LBJ with his monster truck and grappling hook this year.

The Cavs D has improved a lot with the addition of Mozgov and the return of Lebron from his 2 week vacation. It will only get better as the season goes on, too. I'd be surprised if their defense is seen as a weakness when the playoffs roll around.

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 4, 2015

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Zogo posted:

The Cavaliers are a completely different team since the trades + return of healthy LeBron. Right now for the whole season their opponent FG% is .460, fifth worst in the league. The best is Golden State's .421. Over the last ten games the Cavs' is .409. That's partly due to the level of competition, sure, but I wouldn't call their D in its current state "paltry."

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

morestuff posted:

Hornets signing Elliot Williams to a ten-day. I assume he's just a body?

I was slightly disappointed when the Sixers cut him before the season. It was definitely a surprise cut. He showed some improvement throughout last season, then showed an improved outside shot in the summer. I think he could provide some quality minutes in the backcourt

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Icy Penguigo posted:

Wiggins isn't even shooting that badly. 43/37% at 16 points per game isn't awesome but it's good enough for RoY. The last two RoYs shot worse from the field and he somehow has even less competition than MCW did. He'll be the best RoY since Irving!

I just looked up Irving's stats. He's averaging 22/5 on 47/41/84%. Also a career high 1.6 steals per game. He has only missed three games so far this season.

Edit:

The Cavs D has improved a lot with the addition of Mozgov and the return of Lebron from his 2 week vacation. It will only get better as the season goes on, too. I'd be surprised if their defense is seen as a weakness when the playoffs roll around.

Wiggins has no competition becuase everyone who was supposed be his rivals are injured

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Igor Strelkov posted:

Minnesota is playing Zach Lavine A LOT

Ricky Rubio missed 42 games. Kevin Martin missed 33. Mo Williams missed 11.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

The Glumslinger posted:

Wiggins has no competition becuase everyone who was supposed be his rivals are injured

Kyle Anderson's going nuts in the D league!

I kind of want to see him playing 18mpg in the NBA. I don't think they'd be good minutes, but they'd be awesome minutes.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rick posted:

There would have been for Melo though. Chicago couldn't offer him a max without a S&T. It also would have allowed Chicago to keep their MLE.

It worked out great for the Bulls that Phil wanted to keep Carmelo. But I think the better play for the Knicks would have been to work out a S&T with Chicago for some assets. Maybe they could have gotten Mirotic and a couple 1st round picks out of the deal which would have set them up nicely for the future.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Demarcus Cousins everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0smvr90xko

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Vogon Poet posted:

The Cavaliers are a completely different team since the trades + return of healthy LeBron. Right now for the whole season their opponent FG% is .460, fifth worst in the league. The best is Golden State's .421. Over the last ten games the Cavs' is .409. That's partly due to the level of competition, sure, but I wouldn't call their D in its current state "paltry."

Icy Penguigo posted:

It seems improved on paper and on court but I don't think Mozgov is some kind of panacea to that problem. Every team has an ebb and flow to the season and the Cavs have hit a good stretch (and they're still a full percentage point worse than league average).

Give me ten games and I can make any team look good in an area where they have a mortal weakness.

I suppose the question is whether or not they can get that D FG% better than average (one of the thresholds that determines if a team should be taken seriously or not) over the course of the next 32 games.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I need Masai Ujiri to trade Jonas Valanciunas and a first or two for DeMarcus Cousins post-haste.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Terry Glenn posted:

Feels like a Jackson+Lamb or Perry Jones for Wilson Chandler trade is inevitable. Surely Reggie can improve everyone's spirits in Denver by giving full effort on every play.

e: wow they're getting lit up by Philly. I'd expect everyone but Nurkic, Faried, and Lawson to be on the block for a decent price soon.

Nuggets tried to trade McGee/Hickson/lovely protected Memphis 1st for Brook Lopez but not even Billy King would bite on that turd sandwich.

Today it broke that they're trying to bring over Joffery Lauvergne, who was a 55th pick PF in 2013 and seems to be pretty decent. He left his Russian team today so yeah, they're looking to blow poo poo up big time.

edit: lol

quote:

John Schuhmann @johnschuhmann · 5h 5 hours ago
Congratulations to the Nuggets, the first team to lose to each of the 4 worst teams in the league (Knicks, Lakers, Wolves & Sixers).

Halfling Wizard Bear fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 4, 2015

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Tae posted:

Super game changer Thabo Sefolosha

I was surprised that more wasn't made of that when it happened. It really weakened the OKC bench and was a cheap pickup for ATL.

Anyhow,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_bWjmqzN5M

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Yeah, when that happened during the game I felt bad for Kings fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

That's a bit unfair on Zach. He's Ok, he's just not-a-point-guard and is mostly being played out of position. I think at the 2 he'd look better. He's not starter-quality but I think he'll be a good rotation guy as a secondary ball-handler, shooter and slasher.

Jesus Rocket posted:

?? For a rookie Wiggins isn't shooting that bad at all. His usage is lower, but his efficiency is very similar to Carmelo's rookie year. Wiggins has a bit higher eFG%, TS% is a bit higher for Carmelo, Wiggins has a higher 3p%....

If you look at the latter part of the season Wiggins shooting is even decent by NBA standards, though admittedly inconsistent. His defense also has been very good for a rookie.

Mirotic has been more efficient and on a better team, but Wiggins is playing and scoring more, which usually is a big driver for ROY. There's also more narrative because of the trade so

• Locked thread