Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The control scheme in GTA 5 is loving dumb. Its been years since the GTA 3 came out and you still have to hold a button to jog and tap to sprint. Also that you have to do a bunch of boring as poo poo activities to improve your stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

LoonShia posted:

A choice between a potato-person and a twelve-year-old anime princess is no choice at all.

I just played an Orc because they're ugly and dumb-looking sons-of-bitches anyway. I believe their lore is that they resemble their god after he was eaten up and crapped out by a different god. No poo poo!

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I think the activities are kind of fun, especially in online mode. I spent a solid week playing golf more often than the actual game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

GelatinSkeleton posted:

thye thing dragging down dying light is that you cant perform sick stone cold stunners on every zombie that you see, also that you can't do insanely brutal ddt;s on all the zombies that you encounter. If only it had a create your own wrestler mode..

Just play Resident Evil 4.

kazil posted:

Was there a way for this to not happen in Oblivion? That would have been nice.

It can be done, but you have to sit in the character creator tweaking the sliders for a very long time. And your character will still look kind of "off," just closer to normal.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In Oblivion it was nearly impossible not to be some kind of horrible fish man without installing the 3.5GB waifu face modpack, so it was best to just roll with it and accept your appallingly disfigured fate.

In Skyrim it's actually a lot more difficult to be a fish mutant, to the point where you have to try to make it happen. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In Oblivion it was nearly impossible not to be some kind of horrible fish man without installing the 3.5GB waifu face modpack, so it was best to just roll with it and accept your appallingly disfigured fate.

In Skyrim it's actually a lot more difficult to be a fish mutant, to the point where you have to try to make it happen. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Just create an elf character and you're pretty much already halfway to a part alien, part goblin person.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Esroc posted:

I think the activities are kind of fun, especially in online mode. I spent a solid week playing golf more often than the actual game.
A shame you can't drive the cart to your ball in Online though. I wanted impromptu Cart derbys on the way to my next shot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

kirby super star had the best wrestling mode and all games need to copy it

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yeah, GTAV contains a pretty legit golf game within it as a minigame. It pretty much plays exactly like a SNES golf game I had, can't remember the name of it though.

And "increasing your stats" is optional as hell anyway.

Jose posted:

The control scheme in GTA 5 is loving dumb. Its been years since the GTA 3 came out and you still have to hold a button to jog and tap to sprint. Also that you have to do a bunch of boring as poo poo activities to improve your stats

Also yay for trying to reload in first person but instead doing a sick barrel roll into the air. Seriously, you allow for the option of different FPS controls, but all it switches is putting sprint on the left stick (OK) and moving crouch to the A button (WTF?). It's the most infuriating thing, because it's not like there's not enough buttons: move Jump to A, reload to X, and crouch to B. There you go, it's Call of loving Duty now, and we all seem to have agreed that works just fine.

Also the next-gen version making drive-by aim and drive-by shoot two different buttons is a pain in the rear end. I get the idea, I really do, but it means I need to switch up my fingers while driving, or just not use the gas pedal while shooting. And having A be vehicle crouch instead of handbrake is disorienting too, but I assume I'll get used to it. It feels like they made the handbrake sensitive as gently caress anyway, so I might just drive like a human being and use the normal brakes instead.

Sorry if this is rambling, but GTAV on 360 is, as far as I care, the perfect GTA experience, and for next-gen they tweaked the controls just enough to be a little bit irritating. FPS mode is still sick as gently caress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LoonShia posted:

A choice between a potato-person and a twelve-year-old anime princess is no choice at all.

Yeah, it's no contest.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it's no contest.

I don't know if you're being facetious but she puts the fuckin' team on her back dude, I don't care if she's an anime

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I don't know if you're being facetious but she puts the fuckin' team on her back dude, I don't care if she's an anime

I fuckin' love french fries but potato people can't beat anime Princess with Monarch March I'm sorry

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

U.T. Raptor posted:

Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword mode was pretty much the best thing the franchise had ever produced :colbert:

No kidding. Just give me another game with that mode and I'll be happy. Even though it had some stupendous bullshit in it, the equivalent modes in 4 and 5 just aren't nearly as much fun.

I've been told some editions of the Dynasty Warriors Empires franchise have required you to recruit and place officers in territories you control because they're the characters you use if those territories are attacked or you want to launch an attack from that territory. Later editions of the game basically just let you use the same character or characters everywhere for everything, which seems to me like a step back.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Being locked into one character per mission in Hyrule Warriors is definitely holding it back. It's not so much that I don't like to use Ghirahim or Darunia, but if I need to do dark damage I'm gonna use Cia or Midna and if I need to do fire damage I'm gonna use Volga because they're just plain better.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Thank you for explaining sid, otherwise I never would have known what he meant. I mean, wrestlers??? in SOUL CALIBER???????

Your welcome

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Lotish posted:

No kidding. Just give me another game with that mode and I'll be happy. Even though it had some stupendous bullshit in it, the equivalent modes in 4 and 5 just aren't nearly as much fun.

The only thing dragging Chronicles of the Sword mode down (aside from there not being more of it) is that deleting anything fro your memory card would corrupt the data.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Maybe it's because I listen to his X-Files podcast but Kumail Nanjiani voicing a character in The Walking Dead Season 2 totally took me out of the game for a few minutes because he has such a distinctive voice and it didn't match his character at all. Which is a shame because independent of that he was pretty funny and had some great lines.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Just play Resident Evil 4 6.

:colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Don't ever suggest anyone play RE6.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Don't ever suggest anyone play RE6.

Play RE6 Mercenaries and ignore the main campaigns. :colbert:

edit: I'm not suggesting anyone play RE6 over RE4, by the way. Play RE4 first, by all means.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Better yet, go play Remake on the PS3/PC/360 with the new non tank control scheme and pretend RE4 through 6 don't exist cause that's when the franchise went to poo poo.

Revelations is quite good though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Play RE6 Mercenaries and ignore the main campaigns. :colbert:

edit: I'm not suggesting anyone play RE6 over RE4, by the way. Play RE4 first, by all means.

I was mainly thinking in terms of "popular game where you can do crazy finishing moves on zombies till they explode." I'm a little rusty in my wrestling moves, but I think one of them is basically the stone cold stunner.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What'shisface Wesker and The president's daughter's campaign is fantastic in RE6 since you can play it as a brawler, but Leon's was really mediocre despite fun setpieces and Chris and Deadmeat's was dire.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Calaveron posted:

What'shisface Wesker and The president's daughter's campaign is fantastic in RE6
Yes and no.

My friend and I played through the entire game with the exception of Ada's campaign because, after a single chapter, I couldn't take it anymore. Leon's campaign was mediocre, as you said. Chris's campaign was pretty bad, mostly suffering from pacing issues of "poo poo never stops exploding and it's exhausting". Jake's campaign starts out ok but Chapter 2 was above and beyond so insanely bad I can't even comprehend it. It was probably worse than usual because we were playing co-op. It all does downhill (quite literally) at the snowmobile section. It's so easy to fail because of how poorly the snowmobile controls and how frequently you and your partner will crash into each other. If you somehow make it through that, you need to trundle your way through a stealth section that is so finicky we ended up just forcing our way through with guns and still almost failed at the last moment. I'm very surprised we ended up continuing playing after this because of how miserable it was.

That being said, the chapter afterwards is really good. Both players start out separated with their own goals to assist each other. When you meet up, it's a very nice change of pace. What was constant running while everything around you explodes is now just two people exploring a mansion in relative silence. I enjoyed it a lot.

Also the credits song for Jake's campaign is the literal best thing in the game but I don't think it'd have the same impact on someone else as it did for us if they didn't suffer through the rest of the game's poo poo beforehand.

Just play Mercenaries mode.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

My friend and I played through the entire game with the exception of Ada's campaign because, after a single chapter, I couldn't take it anymore.

You missed the best campaign. The first chapter is literally the worst part of it, though, so I fully understand; the ending of that mission is loving awful.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

...well gently caress, I might reinstall it then. Part of me not caring for it is the co-op part of that campaign is super half-assed-- your buddy is just a nameless faceless mercenary who doesn't speak ever and can't even interact with objects meaning Ada has to do everything. It just wasn't the same without us constantly giving each other thumbs up with context-appropriate dialogue. :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is kind of a general one but it came up when I was thinking of finally trying to beat Baroque. It's a really cool, vaguely creepy surreal action rogue like game.

What drags it down is that progressing the story relies on a bunch of seemingly arbitrary crap that is super hard to figure out without looking up. It's a game with a strictly limited inventory space. To progress the plot a little bit the first time (IIRC) you need to find and keep a certain unremarkable item and get it back to the surface, where you give it to one of the crazy NPCs to make him....more crazy? I guess? And then he hides in the sand and you can kill him, I think. It's completely out of left field and maybe it would make more sense if I played farther but playing blind it's completely incomprehensible. I like it when a game's plot is cryptic and leaves me feeling a bit lost. When the actual progression does the same, that's a problem.

Also the PS2 port is a pile of poo poo and the draw distance is so low that you can barely see the goal on the final floor until you're pretty much right up against it, which sucks because that triggers one of the two ways to end a run.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kaubocks posted:

...well gently caress, I might reinstall it then. Part of me not caring for it is the co-op part of that campaign is super half-assed-- your buddy is just a nameless faceless mercenary who doesn't speak ever and can't even interact with objects meaning Ada has to do everything. It just wasn't the same without us constantly giving each other thumbs up with context-appropriate dialogue. :(

That's because it wasn't supposed to have co-op. Her chapter was supposed to be solo and originally launched that way. People bitches and Capcom put out a free patch to make it co-op.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

To be fair, part of the reason I thought it was the best campaign is because I played the whole game solo, and it's by far the one that works best solo. The AI companions usually work alright, but sometimes they just won't get to the loving door or whatever.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ryoshi posted:

This is kind of a general one but it came up when I was thinking of finally trying to beat Baroque. It's a really cool, vaguely creepy surreal action rogue like game.

What drags it down is that progressing the story relies on a bunch of seemingly arbitrary crap that is super hard to figure out without looking up. It's a game with a strictly limited inventory space. To progress the plot a little bit the first time (IIRC) you need to find and keep a certain unremarkable item and get it back to the surface, where you give it to one of the crazy NPCs to make him....more crazy? I guess? And then he hides in the sand and you can kill him, I think. It's completely out of left field and maybe it would make more sense if I played farther but playing blind it's completely incomprehensible. I like it when a game's plot is cryptic and leaves me feeling a bit lost. When the actual progression does the same, that's a problem.

Also the PS2 port is a pile of poo poo and the draw distance is so low that you can barely see the goal on the final floor until you're pretty much right up against it, which sucks because that triggers one of the two ways to end a run.

I remember playing Baroque for like... two hours. It's a really loving terrible game, honestly probably the worst roguelike I've ever played. It's just not pleasant to play and everything about it is stupidly obscure even by the standards of the genre.

e: For the record, the best roguelike is Doom the Roguelike.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Feb 5, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I honestly really liked the basic gameplay once I got into it, it's just that you can run through the tower multiple times without figuring out what the gently caress-hell you actually need to do next.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

Dude, put the controller down and just watch an LP of it. I love Atlus to death but holy balls, Baroque is a bad game.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I hope none of these have been mentioned already, I read a good chunk of the thread...

In Fantasy Life, the crafting systems require you to perform a series of 3 actions: holding the A button down (action #1), tapping the A button quickly (action #2), and tapping the A button when a little circle moves over the A on the screen (action #3). Not tailoring though! When you tailor, there are two "action #3" indicators, which is annoying as gently caress because it's the only one that requires you to wait before tapping, and there's a time limit whenever you craft an item.

In Pokemon (in general), you still can't just swap Pokemon between your party and a box. Depositing and withdrawing are two separate PC functions, so you have to deposit one of your party Pokemon, back out of the depositing screen, go forward into the withdrawing screen, then withdraw the Pokemon you want. This game franchise is 19 years old, and as far as I can tell, this is the only way it has not improved. (edit: lol just kidding, disregard :saddowns: )

In Pokemon X, that Rhyhorn ride between towns is long and tedious, AND you can encounter Pokemon during it. It would be bad enough if it were just boring, but then there's the risk of having your horrifically slow ride interrupted by Pokemon encounters...repeatedly. Ugh.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Feb 5, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

In Pokemon (in general), you still can't just swap Pokemon between your party and a box. Depositing and withdrawing are two separate PC functions, so you have to deposit one of your party Pokemon, back out of the depositing screen, go forward into the withdrawing screen, then withdraw the Pokemon you want. This game franchise is 19 years old, and as far as I can tell, this is the only way it has not improved.

below Deposit and Withdraw, there's the Move Pokemon command, that is both functions at once and is essentially how the box should have worked to begin with. Why is it the third option? no fuckin clue

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alouicious posted:

below Deposit and Withdraw, there's the Move Pokemon command, that is both functions at once and is essentially how the box should have worked to begin with. Why is it the third option? no fuckin clue

I feel like this is the biggest oversight of the series. For a game that has over 600+ units to collect managing them should be high on the list of desired features.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Alouicious posted:

Why didn't I know this before? I'm so ashamed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

They made it the first option in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire actually. Now I get confused because my muscle memory always has me tab over to the third option.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why didn't I know this before? I'm so ashamed.

It's been there since Gen 3.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Evidently I'm not very observant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Well in ORAS it's actually a conversation with an NPC that moves it from 3rd to 1st. I imagine most people just mash through it. You can talk to him again if you want to change it back to 3rd for some reason!