Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ashpanash posted:

Didn't want to call out names if I didn't have to, but I guess the cat's out of the bag. Bown revealed - without explicitly saying it, though he was drawing attention to it - that Rory would be back. Occ said he figured that was the case, said that while he doesn't really care about spoilers that much and he mostly just doesn't want it to poo poo up the thread, he didn't want to know any more.

Eh, the Giant Bomb thread likely spoiled him a bit before that.

relevant, on topic edit: Man, The Doctor got up to some real weird stuff during the Time of the Doctor time skip.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yup, that was what was pointed to.

Edit: I take it back, scrolling back in the irc, it wasn't Bown at all who pointed to the spoiler, it was Zaggitz himself. But Occ encouraged him.

code:
[18:38] <@Zaggitz> i am having a panic attack about posting this spoiler
[18:38] <OCCUPATION> is it a legit spoiler
[18:38] <@Zaggitz> like its so perfect and not actually a spoiler but also totally a spoiler
[18:38] <@Zaggitz> and will make you so mad even though it doesnt say anything
[18:38] <Bown> what’s a gb thread
[18:38] <OCCUPATION> then go for it or whatever
[18:38] <OCCUPATION> i dont care that much dude
[18:38] <@Zaggitz> did it
[18:38] <OCCUPATION> honestly the no spoiler rule is to prevent bad posts
[18:39] <OCCUPATION> because spoilery posts are the loving worst posts ever
[18:39] <@Zaggitz> i hope you arent mad that i spoiled a very very obvious thing
[18:39] <OCCUPATION> oh, so rory comes back to life
[18:39] <Bown> i would argue if you didn’t know what’s in that post anyway you’re a fool
[18:39] <OCCUPATION> i figured
[18:39] <Bown> yeah exactly
[18:40] <OCCUPATION> let's keep this exactly at that tho
[18:40] <Bown> for certs

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 4, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I retract my earlier comments about Bown and swear eternal vengeance on Zaggitz, then.

I can't police the whole forum, you guys!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I retract my earlier comments about Bown and swear eternal vengeance on Zaggitz, then.

I can't police the whole forum, you guys!

to be fair theyreboth eteriivly

terrible

fuckenm

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is the "sorry, Van Gogh was still loving depressed and killed himself" bit at the end of Vincent and the Doctor or later in the series?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is the "sorry, Van Gogh was still loving depressed and killed himself" bit at the end of Vincent and the Doctor or later in the series?

It's right at the end when she finds out that there's no new paintings.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BSam posted:

to be fair theyreboth eteriivly

terrible

fuckenm

Um. Someone should probably call 911 or something :ohdear:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I hated this episode, but I assumed that Occ would love it because it's so emotional. Do you want to know something disturbing, Doctor Who thread? I wasn't trying to come in last place.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, with that little nugget known about Occ now, I can safely say from personal experience

Oh God Night of the Forest might break him.

Oh God.

Jesus Christ Doctor Who Why

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Burkion posted:

So, with that little nugget known about Occ now, I can safely say from personal experience

Oh God Night of the Forest might break him.

Oh God.

Jesus Christ Doctor Who Why

I wonder if he'll come up with a way to rate an episode lower than an F.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, I saw that stuff ages ago. Like, 18 months back. Where have you been, Astroman?

TIme is relative, my dear boy!

It was on IO9 yesterday.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Man, what the gently caress is even the point of introducing a newbie to the show if you spoil everything for him? That's like, all of the fun of it!!

When I watched Buffy for the first time with four people who had seen it before, they not only made sure never to say any spoilers, they enlisted all of my friends in a huge conspiracy to convince me that Dawn, introduced in season 5, had been a character all along and had featured prominently in an episode in season 2. They had an extensive plot summary that everyone had to memorize and not one person I knew ever broke character on it.

It didn't work, but it was really impressive and involved about 20 people and all of them managed not to slip up once. We can't get like 30 guys, at the most, to not just blurt out hugely relevant plot points?!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He probably won't see it coming when it actually happens because the actual circumstances are so crazy, so there'll still be the thrill of discovery. The main thing is that nobody spoils the Doctor's reaction :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I do hope that overall, he is actually enjoying the experience and show, and not just doing it for some internet people, because the principle thing differentiating him from other first-time watcher is that he puts a loving ton of effort and words into writing those reviews, and if he's just doing it to try to grow his writing muscles, he's probably stretched them enough. I think he mostly enjoys it, but you never know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

I do hope that overall, he is actually enjoying the experience and show, and not just doing it for some internet people, because the principle thing differentiating him from other first-time watcher is that he puts a loving ton of effort and words into writing those reviews, and if he's just doing it to try to grow his writing muscles, he's probably stretched them enough. I think he mostly enjoys it, but you never know.

At first he would talk about how much he hated watching the show and how it was preventing him from watching shows he DID want to watch because of the time it was taking up, and I couldn't understand why he would continue. But he seems to have really embraced the show and genuinely enjoy what he's doing with it now, which is nice, and I hope he continues to do so (enjoy it and write about it).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Bicyclops posted:

if he's just doing it to try to grow his writing muscles, he's probably stretched them enough.

You can never stretch those muscles enough, and in all honesty I do think he still needs work. He tends to not self-edit (sometimes you need to kill your darlings) and he overuses the same words a lot. Look at how many times he used incredible in the Amy's Choice review, for example.

Regardless he's quite good at telling the reader how he emotionally digested the episode, and his writing style is endearingly conversational. It's really great to watch someone who has an obvious talent grow better and better at their craft.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ashpanash posted:

You can never stretch those muscles enough, and in all honesty I do think he still needs work. He tends to not self-edit (sometimes you need to kill your darlings) and he overuses the same words a lot. Look at how many times he used incredible in the Amy's Choice review, for example.

Regardless he's quite good at telling the reader how he emotionally digested the episode, and his writing style is endearingly conversational. It's really great to watch someone who has an obvious talent grow better and better at their craft.

Well yes, but you're never going to exorcise your bad habits and murder those darlings in a venue which more or less literally revolves around you. I enjoy his perspective a lot, and the earnest, conversational nature of it is definitely part of its appeal. I just hope that he's getting something out of it that he couldn't be getting from watching a show he thinks he could enjoy better or from branching out to more stuff that he doesn't enjoy!

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Cross-Section posted:

relevant, on topic edit: Man, The Doctor got up to some real weird stuff during the Time of the Doctor time skip.

The Silence was trying to stop Ryan Gosling all along!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

At first he would talk about how much he hated watching the show and how it was preventing him from watching shows he DID want to watch because of the time it was taking up, and I couldn't understand why he would continue. But he seems to have really embraced the show and genuinely enjoy what he's doing with it now, which is nice, and I hope he continues to do so (enjoy it and write about it).

There is such a thing as Stockholm syndrome.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Cross-Section posted:

Eh, the Giant Bomb thread likely spoiled him a bit before that.

Weird, that's nothin, check out this one

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmp2BXRvh8M

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wow, he's REALLY attached to Amy's glasses!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That looks more boring than Baseball.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ashpanash posted:

He'll never improve by doing these reviews, since he's stated that he's not willing to discuss the reviews themself. They're not terrible or anything, but they could be a lot better. Read his write up for season 3, it is literally about 3 paragraphs repeated ad naseum.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

greententacle posted:

Weird, that's nothin, check out this one

Let's not even talk about that time he got high, went back on his own timestream and shagged Rose.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MikeJF posted:

Let's not even talk about that time he got high, went back on his own timestream and shagged Rose.

I clearly need sleep, for a second I though I clicked the Homestuck thread and I was very concerned. :gonk:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

adhuin posted:

Rowing owns

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
"September 2015 sees the release of a very special story from Big Finish, as Doctor Who - The Sixth Doctor: The Last Adventure at last provides a heroic exit for Colin Baker’s much-loved Time Lord..."

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/coming-in-september-doctor-who---the-sixth-doctor-the-last-adventure

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cruel Rose posted:

"September 2015 sees the release of a very special story from Big Finish, as Doctor Who - The Sixth Doctor: The Last Adventure at last provides a heroic exit for Colin Baker’s much-loved Time Lord..."

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/coming-in-september-doctor-who---the-sixth-doctor-the-last-adventure

Awesome. The Big Finish Sixth Doctor is practically a different character to the one on telly, and he deserves the opportunity to not go out like a chump.

It'll no doubt require ultra convoluted twonkery to somehow fit this in with his on-screen regeneration, but I don't really care about that. I just wanna hear C-Bakes, the best audio doctor, do his thing.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

adhuin posted:

Rowing has the decency to make its races last 7 minutes or less. I used to row, and while I can agree that it can be boring to watch, at least it gets over with quickly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barry Foster posted:

Awesome. The Big Finish Sixth Doctor is practically a different character to the one on telly, and he deserves the opportunity to not go out like a chump.

It'll no doubt require ultra convoluted twonkery to somehow fit this in with his on-screen regeneration, but I don't really care about that. I just wanna hear C-Bakes, the best audio doctor, do his thing.

I'm glad they're doing this but I would probably enjoy it just as much if it's a big unrelated adventure that ends with him slipping on a banana peelpiece of carrot, windmilling his arms and then cracking his skull on the console.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cruel Rose posted:

I was just coming here to post this and it makes me as happy as a clam. Baker has crushed it with regards to Big Finish and giving his Doctor a chance to go out in style is just what he deserves.

Now, if we can do the same for McCoy so Seven has a bang-up last adventure that doesn't involve getting shot..

And if I can say anything, doing all the audio and TV reviews for this thread has definitely made me a much better writer...I think. So thanks to everyone for putting up with them and letting me get some good writing and critiquing practice in. Wonderful chaps, all of you.

Except for DoctorWhat. He's got shifty eyes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's real loving weird to hear Noel Clark doing Big Finish from 2007. I guess he must have really liked Doctor Who to come back so soon and play a different character.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Barry Foster posted:

The 6>7 regeneration was so blunt and anticlimactic that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the cause of Six's death wasn't conking himself out on the console. That probably didn't help, and it might've been final nail in the coffin, but it's very possible that he took more significant injuries that actually did him in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cleretic posted:

The 6>7 regeneration was so blunt and anticlimactic that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the cause of Six's death wasn't conking himself out on the console. That probably didn't help, and it might've been final nail in the coffin, but it's very possible that he took more significant injuries that actually did him in.

We never even see him conk out on the console, do we? We open on the Rani shooting down the TARDIS and the Doctor and Mel are already on the floor unconscious. He might've been dead and regenerating after a previous adventure by the time she caught up the TARDIS and started shooting, for all we know. As Big Finish will no doubt exploit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 4, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I hope that if they're doing this, they're willing to rewrite a little bit of the TV show so it still doesn't just end with Six conked out on the floor of the TARDIS.

But honestly, I'd rather have a new first story for Six than a new last story. Time and the Rani is just bad, whereas The Twin Dilemma is morally indefensible. Big Finish have got Davison, Bryant, and Baker; just write a new story that starts from the end of Caves. Would anybody really care if we all pretended that Twin Dilemma didn't happen?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

He'll never improve by doing these reviews, since he's stated that he's not willing to discuss the reviews themself. They're not terrible or anything, but they could be a lot better. Read his write up for season 3, it is literally about 3 paragraphs repeated ad naseum.

He may also have a problem with italics.

I don't think Occ is trying to hone his craft via those writeups except in the most basic sense, because he's told me - and he's probably right - that the main appeal of those posts is that everything comes out in one giant stream-of-consciousness rush, which is partly why he's always repeating words or phrases.

As for me, I've been doing this from the start for his and my own amusement over everyone else's, so I just hammer out a few coherent points over the course of 45 minutes or so and let it rip. The "reviews" (I really don't consider mine to be such) are mostly an excuse to keep watching the show with my favorite dumb-rear end.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Official Doctor Who Official LEGO incoming.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Cruel Rose posted:

I bet DoctorWhat's super loving pleased with himself.

This seems like the most definitive Big Finish has been, aside from Dark Eyes bleeding into Night of the Doctor. And it has the Valeyard! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I hope 6 regenerates to 7 partway through the story but has to disguise himself as 6.

• Locked thread