Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
When are these loving tracks dropping, I need Vamo' Alla Flamenco in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Machine posted:

When are these loving tracks dropping, I need Vamo' Alla Flamenco in my life.

February 19th apparently.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh poo poo yes, Nier DLC! Niers soundtrack is one of my all time favourites. :dance:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It could have been 'Song of the Ancient - Fate' or 'Emil - Karma' to be even better news.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's a Bravely Second stream going on right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66UOjqBc7k4

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Suikoden IV. The death of a series that could've lived on otherwise. S3 was decent and S5 was probably the second best but it wasn't enough to save the series after the damage was done.

Then we got those two unrelated games on DS and PSP which have ensured the series is dead barring any sort of zombified F2P skinner box mobile game.

S3 was going to be the big bridging Suikoden and it being properly told was essential for the future of the franchise. Instead executives rushed the director/writer to finish the game while radically altering some of the structure so he peaced the gently caress out of the company. Without him they didn't have a clue how the story would work and had to rely on the lead artist to try and piece together the pieces, and yeah it would have been a miracle if she could. The had the lead ARTIST loving direct and write a game.

e-Actually she was game designer too, so it wasn't that bad. But still, there was 0% chance of suikoden 4 working.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 4, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
At least we got Suikoden II aka the best JRPG before any of that happened, it's a bigger accomplishment than what most game series can ever manage.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't speak Japanese, but one of the new Bravely Second job seems to be Baker/Cake maker.

Apparently cakes cause status effects? Also Flambé attack

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 4, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I remember when I finally finished xenosaga 3, sitting there and wondering "What the gently caress happened here" not the story, exactly. But just in general. There are characters that just show up, act important then go away without ever dying, or even really concluding anything because the rest of their storyline got cut. People come back out of nowhere because that content got cut but hey, they have to be here for this plot point gently caress all reasoning and explanation. It's just a god damned mess through and through.

As a person who has pla6yed XSIII several times and knows the story6 inside and out I honestly can't think of a single supporting example of these claims. Yes, a lot of the game was rushed and crammed in but I can't recall a single character who just turns up and then leaves with no explanation.
That was honestly more of a Xenogears problem, Xenosaga was pretty good at characters not falling into the Plot Void.

./Also neither Xeno game is even remotely close to the worst JRPG ever and I know this because I played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and neither Xenogears nor Xenosaga made me hate my life like SO3 did.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can anyone help me find the XIII-2 song with an extremely white woman rapping

thank you!
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 4, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Help Im Alive posted:

Can anyone help me find the XIII-2 song with an extremely white woman rapping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzYcXqAslo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ff13 is worse than laxius force

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I never noticed the vocals in this song while actually playing the game, and my life has been poorer for it. This is incredible.

E:

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 4, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KamikazePotato posted:

I think the best way to sum up the differences between X and XIII is that people who played X gave a poo poo about what was going on and people who played XIII didn't.

This is from 6 pages ago, but I think this is because you can't skip cutscenes in X, which is horseshit.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

corn in the bible posted:

FF13 is the worst RPG. It's inexcusable.

It's woefully boring and inoffensive, which is worse than absolutely lovely trainwreck imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

corn in the bible posted:

ff13 is worse than laxius force

No.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF13 or Xenosaga 2 are just big animes. They're not holy poo poo bad RPGs like Vandal Hearts 2.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

precision posted:

FF13 or Xenosaga 2 are just big animes. They're not holy poo poo bad RPGs like Vandal Hearts 2.

Having finished Vandal Hearts 2, I've definitely seen and played worse games than it. It's just very average.

Also I'm glad we've broken the shackles of Final Fantasy and have now moved on to "Every JRPG is the worst game in the genre".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

precision posted:

They're not holy poo poo bad RPGs like Vandal Hearts 2.

Didn't that dumb western made one for PSN/XBLA somehow manage to be worse than that?

I long for the days of skeletons gushing firehose pressure blood.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kirbysuperstar posted:

Didn't that dumb western made one for PSN/XBLA somehow manage to be worse than that?

I forgot that was even a thing that existed. I saw it in the PSN store one day, thought "I have never heard of this, therefore it must be some Agarest War level bullshit terrible" and just moved on.

A shame because Vandal Hearts 1 was actually really fun.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was mostly mediocre, as much of a mess as the Vandal Hearts 2 was, it had an interesting combat system and some interesting characters, the PSN game had the Final Fantasy 2 "everyone can be good at everything by doing" system, which I thought was neat at first, but I quickly lost interest at making the characters somewhat specialized.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Why is anyone talking about bad games without mentioning Hoshigami. I have not played a worse or less fun SRPG ever in my life.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh man, SD4/Dawn of Mana. Yeah, if you want to talk about a real shitfest of a game that's a big contender, especially if you count the original Japanese version.

Wait, what was different between the US and JP versions?

I still like that that game was basically about scaring the poo poo out of monsters so they wouldn't notice when you kill them.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Instant Grat posted:

I never noticed the vocals in this song while actually playing the game, and my life has been poorer for it. This is incredible.

E:

The western versions of the game had the vocals taken out, which is a shame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Wait, what was different between the US and JP versions?

I still like that that game was basically about scaring the poo poo out of monsters so they wouldn't notice when you kill them.

The original was way grindier and more poorly balanced. They retuned it a bit for the English version so you're not obligated to panic-grind quite as much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

VH 2 was great when you figured out exactly how to game the enemies so they never, ever had a chance to hit you and then you steamroll every map until you get bored and never play it again. :(

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I have no issue with anyone's dislike for one game or another here but the way some of you talk about jrpgs makes me wonder why you still play them. I mean...I play them and I know that a lot of the games I play are not really "good" games but I still have fun playing them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

I have no issue with anyone's dislike for one game or another here but the way some of you talk about jrpgs makes me wonder why you still play them. I mean...I play them and I know that a lot of the games I play are not really "good" games but I still have fun playing them.

Jrps own I just don't really like most ff, lol

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why was Luca Blight such a badass?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I think I've said this before but Final Fantasy isn't even in my top-5 favorite Square-Enix RPGs from any generation prior to like the PS3, let alone favorite RPGs period.

I don't hate FF at all but it isn't my super-favorite franchise either and I think it's sort of weird it's held up as the apex of JRPGs when it's spent most of its time behind behind the curve in everything but visuals.

I think it's an interesting franchise at least since it reinvents the wheel every time, and I can't say another franchise that does that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gologle posted:

He took Hate to the next level I guess.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Levantine posted:

Why is anyone talking about bad games without mentioning Hoshigami. I have not played a worse or less fun SRPG ever in my life.

Because anyone who has played it has unconsciously erased it from their memory. So thanks for reminding me.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Man, I know XIII and XIII-2 had meh soundtracks with apparently a billion tracks instead of the ~5 each it felt like but... I do not remember this at all and "generic backing track with awful rap" would be pretty memorable (see also: Star Ocean 3). This was actually a thing in it and not just added to the OST to make it seem like it had more music than it really did? :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only Final Fantasy games I'd put in my top 10 JRPGs list would be like, 4 and 6 and 13. But I don't really dislike any of them except for the obviously bad spinoffs like Dirge of Cerberus.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and A2 are also really fun but TJRPGs are a totally different beast than plain JRPGs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Instant Grat posted:

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, I know XIII and XIII-2 had meh soundtracks with apparently a billion tracks instead of the ~5 each it felt like but... I do not remember this at all and "generic backing track with awful rap" would be pretty memorable (see also: Star Ocean 3). This was actually a thing in it and not just added to the OST to make it seem like it had more music than it really did? :psyduck:

The localized versions don't have the lyrics, actually.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, I know XIII and XIII-2 had meh soundtracks

Gonna have to disagree with that.

Time for the part of the FF thread where everyone posts music for the next 5 pages.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gologle posted:

I suppose watching your mother get raped by thugs hired by the "good guys" of the story while your dad runs away makes you both pretty angry and pretty crazy, both Kefka-approved traits when it comes to good old-fashioned wrecking the poo poo out of everything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FFXIII-2 is lackluster in a lot of ways, but it has 3 extremely good battle themes at the very least.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Right now I like IV, V, VII, X, and X-2. But depending on when you ask, that might change. That's the thing about opinions, they tend to change over time as our experiences mold us into different people and what we want out of a game changes. It's how every game can be both the best and the worst game in the series.

Except FFII, that game will always be the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I don't speak Japanese, but one of the new Bravely Second job seems to be Baker/Cake maker.

Apparently cakes cause status effects? Also Flambé attack

Very effective against flans.