Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Since our OC is created from a Dragon wish to "fix poo poo", I have a feeling our ability to turn heel is either non-existent or very limited to how it was Jedi Academy, where you get a single decision whether or not you kill a dude and the rest of the experience is the same exact poo poo.

Other than that, we don't really know. I'm sorry if I am making GBS threads on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
It's called hyperbole. Sheesh.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Endorph posted:

Three people said 'there probably isn't going to be a ton of story.' That's being shat on by half the thread?
I mean when only six people in the entire thread matter...

Just kidding guys, this thread is actually pretty amazing, especially for being a DBZ thread in 2015. Or maybe because it's in 2015.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The good news is those gold and crystal Saiyan Armor suits you get from the preorder look really slick, regardless of how much narrative control we are offered. And like I said earlier, the actual gameplay is pretty fun, or was 6 months ago, combining the chaotic gang warfare of Battle of Z with a bit more control and choice like a Raging Blast or BudoTen title. I hope they apply some sanity checking to the character selection where the pro strat is no longer just to pick 4 clones of your best dude at all times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

With the original character thing, presumably everyone will be on about the same wavelength, power-wise.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

quote:

" The original voice of Chiaotzu was a librarian at the University of North Texas. I don't have a clue where she is now.

lol

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

With the original character thing, presumably everyone will be on about the same wavelength, power-wise.

I think the idea might be that there are ruptures in time and you get to go back to key moments with your current power level, and it is always points where you'd be able to measure up, but you essentially have your own parallel advancement alongside the main characters through the eras. So essentially after the Future Trunks reveal, we can go super saiyan if we're saiyan etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I think the idea might be that there are ruptures in time and you get to go back to key moments with your current power level, and it is always points where you'd be able to measure up, but you essentially have your own parallel advancement alongside the main characters through the eras. So essentially after the Future Trunks reveal, we can go super saiyan if we're saiyan etc.
I meant in multiplayer.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

I meant in multiplayer.

Battle of Z assigned everyone a power level (all their stats totaled, ran from 240 to about 3K I think) and you could set a min/max per team when building a lobby. It was pretty noticeable as you went up.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Aren't all DB games notoriously lovely? Is there any indication this one won't be? Battle of Z got a lot of buzz and from what I've read it was a total bust.

#notavideogamenerd

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Quite a few of the DB games are quite well reviewed, Budokai 3 and Super DBZ immediately spring to mind.

Also I quite liked Battle of Z. I understand why people didn't, but it made a lot of adventurous moves (4v4, fully voiced villain narrative, etc.) the actual combat was a bit chaotic and no local multiplayer is a glaring problem, but I had more fun with it than quite a few DBZ games I could mention.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Before the first Budokai game, yeah. But now it's random.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If there was an option to disable Hyper Mode, I would enjoy Budokai 3 a lot more. Since I can't, it's merely really good with some really dumb randomness sometimes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I want to see a video going a little more in depth in the character creator. I'm thinking about making either a Buu girl or a Frieza clan(they couldn't think of a better name?) guy and I'd like to see just how varied you can make them.

Too bad Frieza form 3 isn't in the game, that probably means I won't be able to make a Frieza clan guy that looks like him. I would have liked to time travel as a Xenomorph across the Xenoverse.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

i wonder if Frieza Clan dudes get a transformation, and if so I hope it's more interesting than Cooler's advanced mode. Ideally you could select any of the five forms we've seen plus a few.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I'll repeat, a couple of the RPGs are pretty good games in and of themselves, most notably Legacy of Goku II and Buu's Fury. The GBA Dragon Ball game is also pretty cool.

BT3, Budokai 3, and Super DBZ are the best DBZ fighting games for different reasons and with different tastes in mind (DBZ simulator, DBZ fighting game, fighting game with DBZ characters respectively).

Xenoverse is getting hype because it has a rather robust character creator, story recycling Dragon Ball Online's rather neat contents, and it's being made by the people responsible for the regular Budokai series, so it actually has some depth to the combat system.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

i wonder if Frieza Clan dudes get a transformation, and if so I hope it's more interesting than Cooler's advanced mode. Ideally you could select any of the five forms we've seen plus a few.

They do not. As far as I can tell, though, you get to use components from a lot of different forms that we've seen, so you can make them look like they're in whatever form.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

New Leaf posted:

They do not. As far as I can tell, though, you get to use components from a lot of different forms that we've seen, so you can make them look like they're in whatever form.

That's good at least. I know that Super Saiyan is supposed to be Special and Important, but I wish they'd given all the OC races a mid-combat upgrade of the same class. SSj for Saiyans, Transforming for Frieza Clan, Absorbing/Fusing for Nameks and Majins, maybe some Android wackiness for Humans?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

That's good at least. I know that Super Saiyan is supposed to be Special and Important, but I wish they'd given all the OC races a mid-combat upgrade of the same class. SSj for Saiyans, Transforming for Frieza Clan, Absorbing/Fusing for Nameks and Majins, maybe some Android wackiness for Humans?

I *think* there is talk of Androids being a DLC thing but that might have been snuffed out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Polygon say it's the first completely new story for many years, but Battle of Gods came out in 2013. I contest their use of many :colbert:.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurain posted:

Polygon say it's the first completely new story for many years, but Battle of Gods came out in 2013. I contest their use of many :colbert:.
First completely new story for a video game?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Cooler's advanced form is super cool, because it's loving Super Shredder.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Cooler's advanced form is super cool, because it's loving Super Shredder.

Sure, but after all of Frieza's crazy transformations, it's like "you got a hat, hooray". I did like how they had him start in what looked like Frieza's final form, good way of telegraphing that he was a bigger deal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cooler's final form is as different from his base form as Frieza's form 2 is from his form 3. The head changed, he got bigger.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I know why it works for the show, but I wonder why they bother with forms. Why wouldn't you just live your life as your maximum potential? It doesn't seem to tax them physically really. Cooler lived everyday life in 4, Frieza at 1, King Cold presumably at 2.. Is the DBM thing about them losing some level of control canon from somewhere I missed?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Because nobody wants to be Superman and have to live daily life being constantly careful not to destroy everything they touch.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Because nobody wants to be Superman and have to live daily life being constantly careful not to destroy everything they touch.

Cooler managed it somehow.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did we actually see Cooler in his every day life? I don't remember the non-TFS version of that movie.

Frieza was the only one I really got the impression was just dicking around.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I always took it as similar to the Goku/Gohan full power SSJ thing where Cooler's so much more used to 4th form so he can control it. Alternately he is just so much stronger that his base resting PL is in 4th form, while Frieza's is down at 530000 so he naturally walks around at 1st form.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Did we actually see Cooler in his every day life? I don't remember the non-TFS version of that movie.

Frieza was the only one I really got the impression was just dicking around.

Cooler was in 4th form sitting in his ship when he watched Planet Vegeta explode and his ship's sensors caught Goku's crib flying towards Earth.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Cooler having an even more advanced form is cool for a few minutes until you realise that it wasn't that Freeza's first form was what he looked like all the time and he was transforming to make himself more powerful, his final form was his natural state and he willingly suppressed himself into weaker forms so as to conserve energy/ not live in a cardboard world/ not be naked all the time or whatever, then you realise Cooler having an even more advanced form is dumb.

but then, according to Chilled and King Cold, Toriyama either forgot this too, or every Freeza-person was transforming to suppress their power so I dunno.

I guess maybe Cooler took a different approach to his species' transformation powers, and devoted himself to finding some way to make himself even more powerful in order to beat his brother, so he never bothered with supression. I do seem to remember Cooler admitted that when they were both in 4th Form, Freeza was the stronger, but it's honestly hard to tell, Super Saiyan Goku is so much more powerful than either of them that any differences in strength between them is utterly moot. Freeza and his brother in their final forms fighting SSJ Goku is like a baby fighting Muhammad Ali.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I know why it works for the show, but I wonder why they bother with forms. Why wouldn't you just live your life as your maximum potential? It doesn't seem to tax them physically really. Cooler lived everyday life in 4, Frieza at 1, King Cold presumably at 2.. Is the DBM thing about them losing some level of control canon from somewhere I missed?

Why waste energy when the next most powerful being besides people of your own race is a part of your elite force - and yet he still has less than a quarter of your power level when you're suppressing it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Because it's more dramatic. Cooler turns up for a single film, he needs to get things going faster than Frieza, who got his own extended arc and enjoyed loving with people by gradually pulling back the curtain on his full power

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Can Frieza even turn back to normal after reaching his final form? His skin kind of exploded off him when he went from the third to fourth form.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The easiest explanation after all the stuff with Cooler/Cold/Chilled:
Form 1 is their natural state, they can have their next forms as their natural state if they master them (just like how Goku/Gohan did it with SSJ).
Outside of that world of cardboard/leaking energy thing Freeza just liked to brag that his most powerful form was his "standard" and he was intentionally gimping himself.

:spergin::goonsay:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I just want to see 3rd form Frieza using that little hover chair he used for 1st form.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Freeza and everyone else didn't know what ki was, which was pretty much the whole part of the pre - android arcs. Instead of ki control, they just had transformations to contain or release their energy since they couldn't control it otherwise. That's what made the hero crew able to take advantage of scouters constantly, and why Vegeta learned to throw away his.

In the android arc, the fact that the androids didn't have ki reversed things and put the heroes at the same disadvantage Freeza had. Culminating with Cell who -could- control his ki, better than the heroes, and used that to his advantage (along with all the tricks the heroes used in the earlier sagas).

In the Buu arc, the whole "I'm just going to get reaaalllllly powerful with a bullshit upgrade" thing was thrown in their face because the villain used insta-win magic moves that overrode that, for the most part. So then the heroes started using bullshit magic (Gotenks/Gohan's magic power up/Vegeto) to try to counter it.

Each saga, from the beginning of db, had a theme that built on itself. That's something else GT didn't really figure out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cooler isn't canon and Freeza is a mutant, so Chilled and King Cold's forms may very well be their only forms.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
You guys ready for massive blue balls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpSRpTsBVAU

It's pretty weird how Gohan's at his best as a cool character who died in another character's origin story.

edit: by the by if abridged Future Gohan doesn't teach Trunks how to dodge I'm gonna be as angry as humanly and autismally possible.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

edit: by the by if abridged Future Gohan doesn't teach Trunks how to dodge I'm gonna be as angry as humanly and autismally possible.

We also need to see the point where Trunks picks up the use of "Crapbaskets..." from Gohan.

Oh. You say that, too, huh?

• Locked thread