Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A couple of the goalies in the instructional league have told me their employer pays for their gear.. they get some amount of money for "health and exercise equipment" and apparently hockey gear falls into that category.

Which owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Verman posted:

Lately I've been tossing around the far fetched idea of taking up goalie so for shits sake at work I put together a discount set of goalie gear to see what it would take to feel comfortable stepping out in front of a slapshot.

It was something like $1600 for basic entry level ice gear. Nevermind.

Just find a cool bro who will sell you his used equipment. Thanks Bradf0rd!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Lately I've been tossing around the far fetched idea of taking up goalie so for shits sake at work I put together a discount set of goalie gear to see what it would take to feel comfortable stepping out in front of a slapshot.

I got a bunch of goalie gear for free from a former teammate. After I looked up how much it would cost for a chest protector and helmet to finish off the set, it's been sitting in my garage ever since.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Verman posted:

Even scouring the used market, or did you just throw a bunch of equipment into an online shopping cart to see what it added up to? The real trick is to befriend a goalie and see if they have any old stuff, or propose a night where you guys will switch, you play net he plays out, if you're roughly the same size. My brother is a goalie and always had some extra equipment around, and then he bummed onto the Northeastern University practice squad because they lost 2 of their goalies right before the season started so they poached him off the club team. Even as just a practice goalie he got all kinds of free team poo poo and then he had a real surplus of goalie stuff. I played a few times in our Sunday night pickup game and it can be pretty frustrating to go from an experienced player with some skills back to a beginner. Gives you a whole knew respect for even bad goalies though I'll tell you that. Over the past few years I've had a lot of hip/groin issues so my goalie days are over I think but it was kind of fun to suit up every once in a while and take some shots but I like scoring goals a lot more than trying to stop them.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I don't play with a cage because I mostly play out doors, and the ice surfaces aren't painted, so it's hard enough to see the puck as it is. I'm pretty tall though, so the risk of stray shoulders and sticks aren't that much of an issue - and the guys I play with don't have any equipment so we don't play physically

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I always play with a cage. The first day I put it on I took a puck right in the middle of the face as someone tried ringing the boards with the puck just as I arrived on the scene. SOoooooooo happy to have that cage.

Played Sunday night--got an hour and a half with no subs, I still hurt--and while filling my bottle saw myself in the mirror and realized just how little was protected between the cage and my shoulder pads. Next day I got a neck guard too. Hope I can get used to feeling like I'm being strangled all game

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Up to $500 is reimbursed every year from my employer, but I am taxed on that money.

So basically 1 season. Better than nothing I guess

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

sellouts posted:

Up to $500 is reimbursed every year from my employer, but I am taxed on that money.

So basically 1 season. Better than nothing I guess

Wait wait wait. Your employer pays you to play hockey? Where you workin?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Lots of good places to work realize a healthy employee is more productive than a typical fatso. I know a lot of these types of places will cover gym memberships, but I didn't realize you could use that sort of thing for sports too. Very cool.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Ugh 11pm game 5 skaters and no goalie..loving weak. Lasted a period and a half before being 10 goaled :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

5 skaters and no goalie isn't hockey. I'd let the captain know my displeasure and go home. Someone has to do a better job organizing or admitting they'll be forfeiting.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I shoveled my car out of 2 feet of snow for an hour and a half before my game late last night. Needless to say I didn't think it would affect my game. I was wrong. I had zero energy. I flubbed two breakaways simply by forgetting the puck or mishandling it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

I flubbed two breakaways simply by forgetting the puck or mishandling it.

This happens all the time to me and I don't shovel snow before a game.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Verman posted:

I shoveled my car out of 2 feet of snow for an hour and a half before my game late last night. Needless to say I didn't think it would affect my game. I was wrong. I had zero energy. I flubbed two breakaways simply by forgetting the puck or mishandling it.

I live in Los Angeles county and I'm going to start using this as my excuse!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Verman posted:

I had the best game of my life Saturday night. Felt like I was flying. The game just made sense - I could see plays developing ahead of time, somehow knew where the other team was at all times, etc. My defensive pairing spent maybe 10% of our time defending and the rest moving the puck up the ice in rapid fashion and holding it in they offensive zone with surprising efficacy.

Went to a Superbowl party on Sunday before my game that night - for a lower division. Felt like poo poo. Felt like I couldn't get my feet to move. Had no energy. Still played well enough (probably because of weaker competition), but was gassed after a rush up or down the ice. Brain couldn't process what was happening on the ice. Ugh.

Amazing what a few stiff cocktails and a bunch of heavy, greasy junk food - all imbibed no less than about 4-5 hours before the game - will do to you.

Getting old. :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Habibi posted:

Amazing what a few stiff cocktails and a bunch of heavy, greasy junk food - all imbibed no less than about 4-5 hours before the game - will do to you.

Getting old. :(

beerleague.txt

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Verman posted:

beerleague.txt

I feel like being 27 is cheating in most of my leagues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

I feel like being 27 is cheating in most of my leagues.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because wherever you are now it's all downhill from here.

27 is when metabolism starts to slow, and shortly after he that the gut starts growing. Then you have to actually meter what you eat. :psyduck:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
^^ that's BS, I got my old man gut when I was 13. I'm 29 now and in the best shape of my life (which is still not particularly great shape)

When I started playing ball hockey at 24 or 25 we always used to run into teams that were made up of guys in their late 30s or older and be like "oh yeah we're gonna mop the floor with these old idiots" only to get creamed. Turns out being in shape, not hungover, and having an extra fifteen years of experience is worth a lot more than being young. I couldn't even put together a sprint in the third period until after I quit drinking and started getting more serious about staying active. My goal is to be actually good at a sport by the time I turn 40.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I almost always go to happy hour and have a beer or two before my Tuesday night game and I can tell it has a negative impact on my game but on the other hand beer

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts, because wherever you are now it's all downhill from here.

27 is when metabolism starts to slow, and shortly after he that the gut starts growing. Then you have to actually meter what you eat. :psyduck:

Don't listen to this man. I'm at 33 (and a half) and in the best shape of my life. Sure, it helps that I was a fat kid from like 5th grade until my 3rd year of college, at which point I dropped about sixty pounds in five months (I've always been athletic and always played a lot of sports, but I looove to eat and have a terrible sweet tooth). And granted, I could have probably gotten into this shape easier at twenty seven, but the point is it doesn't have to be all downhill. A few years back some friends of mine (who have played organized hockey since they were youths) were taking on the bench about how your skating isn't going to get any better after thirty. And while it helps that I didn't get into organized hockey until my early twenties, my current self would skate and stick handle circles around my thirty year old self.

There are few things more pleasing in life for a father of two encroaching on his mid-thirties than to make high school club players look slow or dangle them into confusion.

e: not that you're wrong, in any case. But my metabolism has always been middling, so I also probably didn't get quite the same drop offs that many people will experience in their early twenties and thirties. A high school friend of mine who was always a skinny bastard regardless of what he ate, now practically needs to be on a liquid vegetable diet in order to maintain his weight.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 4, 2015

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

xzzy posted:

I mean, if you sit at home and do nothing yeah. I do gym and hockey 3x a week- I feel like I should be good for a while.

I also married a dietician so I've got that going for me.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

I mean, if you sit at home and do nothing yeah. I do gym and hockey 3x a week- I feel like I should be good for a while.

I also married a dietician so I've got that going for me.

This (except I'm the amateur dietician/trainer - kinda had to become one when I went from 220 to 160).

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

Don't listen to this man. I'm at 33 (and a half) and in the best shape of my life. Sure, it helps that I was a fat kid from like 5th grade until my 3rd year of college, at which point I dropped about sixty pounds in five months (I've always been athletic and always played a lot of sports, but I looove to eat and have a terrible sweet tooth). And granted, I could have probably gotten into this shape easier at twenty seven, but the point is it doesn't have to be all downhill. A few years back some friends of mine (who have played organized hockey since they were youths) were taking on the bench about how your skating isn't going to get any better after thirty. And while it helps that I didn't get into organized hockey until my early twenties, my current self would skate and stick handle circles around my thirty year old self.

There are few things more pleasing in life for a father of two encroaching on his mid-thirties than to make high school club players look slow or dangle them into confusion.

e: not that you're wrong, in any case. But my metabolism has always been middling, so I also probably didn't get quite the same drop offs that many people will experience in their early twenties and thirties. A high school friend of mine who was always a skinny bastard regardless of what he ate, now practically needs to be on a liquid vegetable diet in order to maintain his weight.

Oh, I'm a much better skater at 42 than I was at 35. Way stronger, too. The main thing, though, is if I slack off on conditioning/cardio I can feel it in my skating in a couple of days, whereas in my early/mid-30s I could pretty much just play 3 hockey games in a row on a Saturday even if the only other active thing I did all week was walking a mile or two to get around.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Oh, I'm a much better skater at 42 than I was at 35. Way stronger, too. The main thing, though, is if I slack off on conditioning/cardio I can feel it in my skating in a couple of days, whereas in my early/mid-30s I could pretty much just play 3 hockey games in a row on a Saturday even if the only other active thing I did all week was walking a mile or two to get around.

Yeah, getting old sucks. Not that uh, you're, uh, old. Cough. I'm going to just let myself out.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

sellouts posted:

5 skaters and no goalie isn't hockey. I'd let the captain know my displeasure and go home. Someone has to do a better job organizing or admitting they'll be forfeiting.

Its roller so technically we made up the numbers...the game got swapped on us over the weekend so we knew we were going to be short for an 11pm'er and no idea what was up with our normal keeper, I know we went through our list of backups and the last ditch bribe whoever in the previous games failed. I agree it definitely blew. And it probably really sucked for the other team. I've played with this group of guys for 2 years at this point at 3 different rinks and this is only the 2nd time it has happened. Amusingly we won the other time 12 to 7.

If it were ice and the league fees involved in that I'd be pissed too. But such is life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I never said you couldn't be in shape in your 30's and beyond, I just made the statement that your body starts to slow down and everything takes just a little bit more effort to enjoy the same physique as before.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Any tips or good drills or videos to practice puck handling off the ice? My puck control is the worst part of my already pretty terrible game. I feel like if I could control the puck better I could start being able to focus on seeing the ice and moving around better since the puck wouldn't constantly be trailing me or be in my skates.

Dale Meets Wall fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 5, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Things that suck:

1) Clinics for kids that are held during stick time, in which the coaches get to block off half the ice to use on their own.
2) Stick times where ~30 skaters are crammed in to that remaining half of ice.

Such garbage last night. I probably took <10 shots on net because of how packed it was. I tried instead to work on some skating, but even that was hard because of how little space I was dealing with. There was a goalie there but he didn't face a single shot all night because it would slow things down too much to sit in net. He stayed by the bench and practiced butterflies and sliding for an hour.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Fellow mid 40s player checking in. I'm also a much better skater now then when I first started, but also slower. So much slower :negative:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dale Meets Wall posted:

Any toss or good drills or video to practice pick handling of the ice? My puck control is the worst part of my already pretty terrible game. I feel like if I could control the puck better I could start being able to focus on seeing the ice and moving around better since the puck wouldn't constantly be trailing me or be in my skates.

Sean Skinners stuff is pretty :krad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tz7RtQqou0

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dale Meets Wall posted:

Any toss or good drills or video to practice pick handling of the ice? My puck control is the worst part of my already pretty terrible game. I feel like if I could control the puck better I could start being able to focus on seeing the ice and moving around better since the puck wouldn't constantly be trailing me or be in my skates.

Do you have a garage? I've always been decent at stick handling and puck control, but a few years ago, when a groin injury kept me off skates for a year, I started stick handing in my garage with some old nylon weight plates (5 and 10lbs) that slid decently well on a smooth cement surface, and that completely revolutionized what I could do with the pick. And it's nothing fancy or fast, but just asking my body to move that much weight around at the end of a stick forced me to adopt better habits - greater knee bend, wider stance, better/more correct arm position, required me to use my hips more, etc... Especially on ice, the puck moves so effortlessly that I think it's very easy, particularly for people like me who, even if they've played hockey for a while, have never received formal instruction, to 'cheat' and use the minimal action required to handle it. But if you watch good / properly coached players in action, their puck handling starts in their feet and works its way up the body (just like swinging a bat or a racquet, or throwing a football or basketball). And when you replace the puck with a heavier weight, you can't get away just using your arms/hands - you HAVE to activate your lower body. Though I'd recommend combining this approach with reflex or reaction training, like one of those wooden Swedish stick handling balls that have practically no weight but launch themselves off your stick at the slightest contact.

And if you ever go to stick/puck sessions, do yourself a favor and get one of those weighted pucks, and use it. On skates, it does an even better job of forcing the aforementioned better habits on you. Plus, it rebounds like a motherfucker, making it (especially as a defenseman) additionally great for throwing off the boards to practice receiving and handling tough pucks (like I have to do on the blue line - and particularly so as I prefer the off side). 

But seriously, thirty to sixty seconds of moving a five or ten pound weight back and forth with my stick (uh, I'd recommend getting a wooden one for this, BTW), and I grab my green biscuit and it feels like I can do anything with it.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 4, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

I never said you couldn't be in shape in your 30's and beyond, I just made the statement that your body starts to slow down and everything takes just a little bit more effort to enjoy the same physique as before.

Like I said, you weren't wrong. It's just that you can always take steps to compensate for it, and I don't think viewing it as a foregone conclusion isn't necessarily helpful.

Though, all this said,I definitely pull out the old Roger Murtaugh after long or particularly brainless shifts. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Wow. Haven't hit quote instead of edit in a loooong time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to bring an orange puck for warmups to my Thursday drop-in, until idiots scooped it up and started taking shots at the goalie.

loving morons.

It is great for those first few minutes though.. like you said, it makes normal pucks feel weightless.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

I used to bring an orange puck for warmups to my Thursday drop-in, until idiots scooped it up and started taking shots at the goalie.

loving morons.

It is great for those first few minutes though.. like you said, it makes normal pucks feel weightless.

I let people borrow mine at s/p sessions all the time, but I specifically tell them that they're not made for shooting. Not only are you even more likely to break your stick or tear off your shoulder, but you are also going to hurt the goalie. People are loving stupid.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!

Habibi posted:

Helpful stuff
I do have a garage and basement I could use. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the nylon plates though. I did a google search and that didn't really turn up anything.Also those videos are great too. Thanks for the advice.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dale Meets Wall posted:

I do have a garage and basement I could use. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the nylon plates though. I did a google search and that didn't really turn up anything.Also those videos are great too. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, jeez, I'm a moron. Not nylon - vinyl. I got a bunch of the plates from some guy on craigslist for practically nothing before I invested in real home workout equipment (which was a great decision - I've saved close to $600+ in gym fees since, and that's based on a steeply discount corporate rate). The external vinyl surface is smooth enough to let the weight slide around pretty well without scratching the ground.

e: if by some weird coincidence you're in the SF Bay Area, you can just have some of mine

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Who the gently caress shoots orange pucks? Goddamn idiots.

Oranges are also great for practicing one-handed puck protection and stick handling for when you want to cut outside in on a defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I shoot orange pucks cause its fun. gently caress you I'm gonna try and hit the crossbar with an orange puck slap shot and you cant tell me otherwise.