Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope all the cost cutting measures this week means next week's throwdown with a giant dragon is shown in full blazing glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I hope all the cost cutting measures this week means next week's throwdown with a giant dragon is shown in full blazing glory.

Burning, surely?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Adou definitely strikes me as someone who was initially intended to be a villain but I think they changed course on him. Now he just comes off as a dude who just really, really wants to have cool/challenging gunpla fights but is kind of an rear end in a top hat so he frequently forgets about sportsmanship and restraint instead of being actively malicious.

I think the thing with Adou's initial appearance was more to establish Yuuma's perception of him than the character himself. So because Adou destroyed Yuuma so completely Yuuma sees him as this big, scary thing and takes his words at their most literal and forms an image based on it. Yuuma then meets him and realizes he's not actually that bad, because Yuuma's entire character is about trying to be Mr. Cool, but he has to learn to get over himself a bit and relax and just have some fun. Adou is tailored to that because he's not actually nearly the edgy dick Yuuma perceived him to be and is more just a guy looking for a good fight and seeing this kind of reflects just how stupid Yuuma's hangups are and may force him to get over them. And also to realize that it's just a game and he's been taking it way too seriously at this own cost, which is a recurring theme of both shows.

Also, people seem to be really over stating the amount of stock footage in the episode. There was maybe 3 minutes or so of it in the episode, though there was definitely some major cost cutting in other ways too. Still, thought it was a good set up episode all around and it was nice to see Fumina stand up by herself in the fight and save the other two, as well as Sekai's Jigen Haoh fail entirely under the absorb system. And that Yuuma and Sekai were actually trying to work together and concerned for each other in the fight, even if they couldn't do anything for each other except hold out for Fumina. The bomb thing could have been better set up for Fumina instead of being on a timer, but other than that minor niggle it was good. Also, Yuuma's freak out over the wall was the best part of the episode to me. I'm not a fan of the harem comedy at the start though, and don't find Gyanko particularly funny like others do.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 4, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

I think the thing with Adou's initial appearance was more to establish Yuuma's perception of him than the character himself. So because Adou destroyed Yuuma so completely Yuuma sees him as this big, scary thing and takes his words at their most literal and forms an image based on it. Yuuma then meets him and realizes he's not actually that bad, because Yuuma's entire character is about trying to be Mr. Cool, but he has to learn to get over himself a bit and relax and just have some fun. Adou is tailored to that because he's not actually nearly the edgy dick Yuuma perceived him to be and is more just a guy looking for a good fight and seeing this kind of reflects just how stupid Yuuma's hangups are and may force him to get over them. And also to realize that it's just a game and he's been taking it way too seriously at this own cost, which is a recurring theme of both shows.

I'd agree 100% with your interpretation of Adou being a dickhole being entirely Yuuma's exaggerated memory(and was actually originally typing that when I was making the post), but I thought about it and Adou was a pretty huge dickhole when they first met him in person and was going to trash all of their gunpla despite having clearly already won. They've softened him a bit since then.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was a pretty good episode, I really liked Fumina's bad rear end saving the day moment.

As far as the Sekai-Fumina-Gyanko-Shia love square I don't really have a problem with Fumina crushing on Sekai, there isn't a ton of chemistry there but at least she knows him well enough that it's believable that she could be crushing on him. I'm ok with Gyanko because she's hilarious. Shia feels really forced though, I understand why they did it on a narrative level but I think they really should have introduced Shia earlier in the series. If they had done so we would have had something to speculate about earlier on in the series too, like "Who is this strange girl that keeps showing up around Sekai?" and then you reveal that she's a world class builder & fighter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That was a pretty good episode, I really liked Fumina's bad rear end saving the day moment.

As far as the Sekai-Fumina-Gyanko-Shia love square I don't really have a problem with Fumina crushing on Sekai, there isn't a ton of chemistry there but at least she knows him well enough that it's believable that she could be crushing on him. I'm ok with Gyanko because she's hilarious. Shia feels really forced though, I understand why they did it on a narrative level but I think they really should have introduced Shia earlier in the series. If they had done so we would have had something to speculate about earlier on in the series too, like "Who is this strange girl that keeps showing up around Sekai?" and then you reveal that she's a world class builder & fighter.

I think it's hurt by how... absurdly quickly she goes from 0 to SEKAI-KUN.

Like Gyanko butting in and doing the Team Try Fighters thing makes sense since she has been around a while and helped them upgrade. Shia... like, has she even acknowledged the rest of Sekai's team exists? Despite being Fumina's theoretical rival character she's literally done nothing but talk about Sekai.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just think of Shia as a newtype and her sudden infatuation makes sense.

Watching some of the scenes again, they are really hiding star winnings modes, like usually you'd see a panoramic view of all the suits capabilities when they are scrolling but for the winning they had a very up close view where you could only see the beam machinegun and the gunbits.

e-Oh next episode mech animation director is the guy that usually does SD fights.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Solid build up episode for next week. I'm surprised no one else remarked on the garbled as gently caress faces in the opening harem scene. It got better after that but lord did they have some dopey off model shots, particularly of Fumina.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Solid build up episode for next week. I'm surprised no one else remarked on the garbled as gently caress faces in the opening harem scene. It got better after that but lord did they have some dopey off model shots, particularly of Fumina.

There were some really bad shots later on too. Ramba Ral's face was hilariously off-model in one of the reaction shots.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
I'm a bit miffed that the triplets' trump card is a GIANT POWERFUL DRAGON when they've been pushed as a scheming/strategizing team.

This episode was also very budget. Did they spent all of their animation budget on Tryon 3? I am fine with this.

Fumina's infatuation with Sekai is the embodiment of young unrequited love. Gyanko's is because Sekai played the prince to her damsel in distress let's ignore that Sekai caused the distress by punching a hole in a colony. Shia's love is for powerful fighters (edit: she probably also has a massive gunpla fetish), and Sekai's probably the first fighter she's seen on her level outside of her brother and miscellaneous dickheads (Saga, Junya). All love in this show is some sort of contrived, but they're children. It kind of goes with the demographic.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 4, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I did find it cute that Shia's attempt to woo Sekai was by offering to build him an even better Gunpla.

She must've picked up a handbook on dating tips written by one R.Fellini.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Riftling posted:

Fumina's infatuation with Sekai is the embodiment of young unrequited love. Gyanko's is because Sekai played the prince to her damsel in distress let's ignore that Sekai caused the distress by punching a hole in a colony. Shia's love is for powerful fighters, and Sekai's probably the first fighter she's seen on her level outside of her brother and miscellaneous dickheads (Saga, Junya). All love in this show is some sort of contrived, but they're children. It kind of goes with the demographic.

Pureauthor posted:

I did find it cute that Shia's attempt to woo Sekai was by offering to build him an even better Gunpla.

She must've picked up a handbook on dating tips written by one R.Fellini.

Also I have to laugh at people calling it his harem/complaining he doesn't recognize it or care because that's loving joke. Sekai doesn't understand or care and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the show ended with him just realizing and telling them all "Nah."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Riftling posted:

Fumina's infatuation with Sekai is the embodiment of young unrequited love. Gyanko's is because Sekai played the prince to her damsel in distress let's ignore that Sekai caused the distress by punching a hole in a colony. Shia's love is for powerful fighters (edit: she probably also has a massive gunpla fetish), and Sekai's probably the first fighter she's seen on her level outside of her brother and miscellaneous dickheads (Saga, Junya). All love in this show is some sort of contrived, but they're children. It kind of goes with the demographic.

Well, like I said, the core problem is that all these girls are Hareming around a single dude who barely responds to it. He spends the entire opening scene just kind of staring blankly.

The original BF had a lot of pretty contrived goofy anime romance too but it was more evenly spread out so it wasn't Everyone Fights Over Sei or whatever. Plus at least if it was Sei would have responded hilariously instead of staring off into space.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Plus at least if it was Sei would have responded hilariously instead of staring off into space.

Yeah but then they'd just be doing the same tired shtick they did from season one. He'd just be Nils Neilson come again. And that would be dumb.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also I have to laugh at people calling it his harem/complaining he doesn't recognize it or care because that's loving joke. Sekai doesn't understand or care and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the show ended with him just realizing and telling them all "Nah."

The problem is it drags him down all the more as a character because he has no other personality traits to offset his obliviousness. Hell, even Yuuma's gotten some improvement to his personality in the last few episodes. I laughed like an idiot at The Lightning jumping on the Burning Gundam out of fright :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah but then they'd just be doing the same tired shtick they did from season one. He'd just be Nils Neilson come again. And that would be dumb.

How would he be Nils Neilson again? "Sekai reacts to it" doesn't need to mean "Sekai has a giant cartoon freakout about it."

It's not a very good joke. Like "character is oblivious to a crush" can be funny but Sekai doesn't even really give it that minor effort. (And they can do that, they sort of did in the G-Muse episode.) It also hurts Fumina and Shia that their (non)interactions so far are entirely based around the guy they both have a crush on.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is it drags him down all the more as a character because he has no other personality traits to offset his obliviousness. Hell, even Yuuma's gotten some improvement to his personality in the last few episodes. I laughed like an idiot at The Lightning jumping on the Burning Gundam out of fright :allears:

Yuuma has become way better since he got over his goddamn self. I laughed at the "Are you trying to be cool after that?!" thing so hard.

Also "Why aren't you flying?!"

Honestly, Sekai works better as Yuuma's straightman than Yuuma does as Sekai's straightman I think.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 4, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ImpAtom posted:

Yuuma has become way better since he got over his goddamn self. I laughed at the "Are you trying to be cool after that?!" thing so hard.

Also "Why aren't you flying?!"

Honestly, Sekai works better as Yuuma's straightman than Yuuma does as Sekai's straightman I think.

Honestly, in spite of his cliche shounen protagonist personality, I'd say Sekai is actually the more level-headed of the two. Yuuma's a colossal dork but tries to act like he isn't; Sekai is a dork but both knows that he is and sort-of knows that there are limits. At least during battle.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm pretty glad Yuuma's the one who's afraid of ghosts. Most anime and manga tend to use "afraid of ghosts" as a stereotypical trait for tomboyish girls (or girls in general) to make them seem more vulnerable and contrast their usual demeanor. It's supposed to be cute for the tough girl to suddenly be scared of something like that. But by having it be Yuuma who's scared instead of Fumina, they both give him a bit more depth and potential for comedy, and avoid weakening Fumina as a character.

As for Sekai, I find his obliviousness kinda funny. If anything's frustrating to me about the whole harem angle, it's that Fumina and Gyanko haven't figured out how to get through to him yet (I give Shia a pass on this since she's new to the love polygon). I mean, it's not that hard to figure out. What's Sekai's primary motivation? Fight stuff and get stronger. How does he fight? Jigen Haoh school of martial arts. What's the core philosophy of the Jigen Haoh school? A fighter communicates his feelings through his fists.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if Fumina/Gyanko/Shia want Sekai to understand that they're all crushing on him, what they need to do is beat the poo poo out of him. (Or, y'know, Gunpla battle him, since that works, too.) :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm pretty glad Yuuma's the one who's afraid of ghosts. Most anime and manga tend to use "afraid of ghosts" as a stereotypical trait for tomboyish girls (or girls in general) to make them seem more vulnerable and contrast their usual demeanor. It's supposed to be cute for the tough girl to suddenly be scared of something like that. But by having it be Yuuma who's scared instead of Fumina, they both give him a bit more depth and potential for comedy, and avoid weakening Fumina as a character.

As for Sekai, I find his obliviousness kinda funny. If anything's frustrating to me about the whole harem angle, it's that Fumina and Gyanko haven't figured out how to get through to him yet (I give Shia a pass on this since she's new to the love polygon). I mean, it's not that hard to figure out. What's Sekai's primary motivation? Fight stuff and get stronger. How does he fight? Jigen Haoh school of martial arts. What's the core philosophy of the Jigen Haoh school? A fighter communicates his feelings through his fists.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if Fumina/Gyanko/Shia want Sekai to understand that they're all crushing on him, what they need to do is beat the poo poo out of him. (Or, y'know, Gunpla battle him, since that works, too.) :v:
... Doesn't that mean Shia's the shoe-in? Because she's actually slated to fight him at one point.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

... Doesn't that mean Shia's the shoe-in? Because she's actually slated to fight him at one point.

Not necessarily; yeah, their teams are eventually going to face each other, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Sekai and Shia will actually fight each other (especially since he's got the whole rivalry thing going with Wilfred) in the tournament.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

MSJ-04 Fanton (00)
RGM-86R GM III (ZZ)
GT-9600 Gundam Leopard (X)
Superior Lander (SD)
Tyranno Zaku (SD)
Indy Gundam (SD)
Psycho Golem (SD)

Well that sure was a budget episode. The first of a two-parter though, so not too bad. And hey, if it means X1 Full Cloth gets a budget bonanza whenever it shows up then I'm all for it.

I'm... not entirely sure why they didn't just blow the entire castle up from afar. I am pretty sure they could do that. Other than that, it was a neat enough episode.

Also I can not tell at all if Shia is just screwing with Sekai or not. It would actually be kind of funny if she's trying to unsettle him, and being forced to dial up the flirt more and more because Sekai is just not getting it.

EDIT: Oh hey, those statues they were panning over are actual cameos. Psycho Golem and Superior Lander. I don't know if those really count, but otherwise this episode has nothing new so why not.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 4, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
What's SD-R's plan if the battle system hands them a gigantic featureless plain like that arctic wasteland that Team Free got handed?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

What's SD-R's plan if the battle system hands them a gigantic featureless plain like that arctic wasteland that Team Free got handed?

I assume they tank enough beam shots to dragon up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I remain disappointed that we didn't get "Field 37: Castlevania" or something like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

W.T. Fits posted:

Not necessarily; yeah, their teams are eventually going to face each other, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Sekai and Shia will actually fight each other (especially since he's got the whole rivalry thing going with Wilfred) in the tournament.

So what you're saying is that Wilfred is going to win the love triangle and their fight will end in passionate manly embraces as that chick that Sleggar ended up with freaks out about boys love?

It's rather sad that I wanted to put one female in there that could geek out about boys love and had to go back to her before I'd found one that wasn't crushing on Sekai or related to him.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Why do you walk into a castle you know the enemy is in when you know you have the ability to blow up the moon?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Why do you walk into a castle you know the enemy is in when you know you have the ability to blow up the moon?

ThThe castle was clearly made of gundanium.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I presume the answer is that Sekai would refuse to do it because he wants to fight.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah because that's the point where this show stopped being logical.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah because that's the point where this show stopped being logical.

Actually can I say that I'm really disappointed by the explanation for Assimilation?

"He, uh, he hypnotizes himself with a placibo effect and that makes his Gundam stronger but hurts him back" somehow feels more bullshit than "magic particles did it."

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Actually can I say that I'm really disappointed by the explanation for Assimilation?

"He, uh, he hypnotizes himself with a placibo effect and that makes his Gundam stronger but hurts him back" somehow feels more bullshit than "magic particles did it."

Yeah, given all the fairly explicitly psychic bullshit that went on with plavsky particles last season you'd think they'd go that route.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I remain disappointed that we didn't get "Field 37: Castlevania" or something like that.
:agreed:

I'll also echo the "wow, today was the budget episode" sentiments as well. Hopefully, next week makes up for that.

By the way, BlitzBlast, you missed these two (image below courtesy of /m/):

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was actually busy trying to figure out just what the hell those two were. Thanks.

And yeah, I dunno why we needed a bullshit science explanation when last season's mechs literally ran on hopes and dreams.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I didn't know that Indy Gundam was a real thing but I love it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

I was actually busy trying to figure out just what the hell those two were. Thanks.

And yeah, I dunno why we needed a bullshit science explanation when last season's mechs literally ran on hopes and dreams.

I felt like the fights last season were more grounded in respective gundam 'worlds' or whatever that they came from.

Its like every non-cannon fodder team this season is relying soley on weapons forged in mt. Doom or was in the background in the Asgard's armory scene.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

tsob posted:

So what you're saying is that Wilfred is going to win the love triangle and their fight will end in passionate manly embraces as that chick that Sleggar ended up with freaks out about boys love?

It's rather sad that I wanted to put one female in there that could geek out about boys love and had to go back to her before I'd found one that wasn't crushing on Sekai or related to him.

How could you forget about Gyanko's girls? They are all over boys love, even blushing and going "The cute boys are flirting!" when Yuuma and Sekai yelled at each other before their match.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think it'd be neat if someone the Meijin came back later on and debunked the triplet's explanation for assimilation.

"But the official explanation for the phenomenon is auto-hypnosis! It's been documented!"

"That's because we had to come up with something plausible to tell people when they couldn't accept the reality that plavsky particles are basically magic."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

No problem. Like DJ Meow Mix, I had no idea either SD existed.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

But on the other hand they used/invented the word "Nocebo" which is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That is an actual thing. Nowadays the placebo effect is used for any sort of "useless thing that affects someone because they believe it will", but it's actually supposed to only be used for positive benefits.

• Locked thread